*Velocità ~ The Conclusion*

• Thread starter Skyline49
  • 34 comments
Just wondering, but does anybody have something they'd like to see for the third series? I've got the 246R section planned out, but I haven't a clue for 3. I've got one feint idea, but I'd like some feedback.

“Velocità”

Part-13.jpg

Part 13: Surprise

The Toyota rolls out of the garage and out onto the street. Lafleur throws me the keys. As I catch them, he calls, “We want you out of this, so we pushed it to 600!”

I smirk and get into the driver’s seat. After a few revs, I drop the clutch and take off with piles of wheelspin.

“How am I supposed to launch this car?”

“You aren’t…” Lafleur seems very smug, “Let’s just do a lap or two.”

I ease on the throttle down the Aoyama. Once we hit fourth, I step on it and the car jolts forward. It’s completely different. The old car was calm and composed. This is just a monster. Fifth. The power keeps coming. Up past the redline and into sixth. There’s no loss of power anywhere. I glance at the speedo. 317.

“Pull out and head around the 246. You’ve seen enough for today.”

“Why the hell should I? It’s my car, I can do with it what I please!”

Lafleur shakes his head and sighs, “I knew we shouldn’t have done it. Not again. Not another monster…”

His words are like gibberish to me. All that matters now is that I can finally take on the Monster of the 246R.

* * *​

As we pull into the garage my mobile rings. I shut off the engine and answer it.

“James? Comes a familiar voice, “I’ve got something very important to tell you.”

“What is it, Donato?”

“Listen, the FIA and the organizers have been talking for the past month and they might finally have an agreement. They’ve agreed to shorten each heat into half-distance to allow the use of softer tires. They want everyone to head back to Paris.”

“Donato, I’ve got some other arrangements here…”

“ACT says they’ll sue if you don’t show up.”

“Okay.”

I gloomily hang up and turn to Lafleur, “Did you hear? The FIA wants the Paris race to go on. Half distance with quali tires.”

“Really, I hadn’t heard…” Lafleur’s mobile also rings and he turns around to have a conversation. I catch a few ‘uh-huhs’ and ‘okays.’ Eventually, he turns back around, “I guess we’re off to France.”

“I guess we are. The only thing that bothers me is that I’ll never get a chance to catch the Monster.”

“Trust me. We’ve seen others try. It’s best to get out now.”

“Okay.” I tell him, but deep down, that’s the only thing left for me I absolutely have to catch the Lotus. If it’s the last thing I do, then so be it. I just need to catch up…

* * * * *​

George Paris Circuit – Saturday Qualifying​

The sounds of cars roaring around the track, the thrill of being here. The sheer excitement. It’s good to be back, I guess.

“Young!” calls LeBlanc, the new engineer, “Get in the car and start running laps! We need the telemetry!”

“Whatever,” I mumble, “Take away the fun.”

I stroll over to the car and open the door. It’s good to be back.

The engine roars to life and revs to a glorious 10,000 rpm. Beautiful. LeBlanc’s voice comes over the radio, “Get out there now!” In disgust, I slide out of the box and down the pitlane. As I pull out onto the circuit, something bright blue flies past. I blink and it has disappeared. Not around the corner, but literally. I immediately remember. The Lotus. It must still be stuck in my head. It doesn’t matter – I accelerate hard down the straight toward the roundabout. I catch the glimpse of something heading around the corner. Light blue. I close my eyes down the empty straight to try to flush it away, but it just won’t leave. Around the corner and onto Marceau, my mind begins to wander away from the practice lap.

Over the next five minutes, I continue to see the Lotus. First, flying past me on Rue Vernet, then diving around a corner onto the second part of Marceau Avenue. It then appears well ahead of me on Champs Elysees. Finally, it shows up directly beside me, cruising along d’Lena. God, I can’t take this anymore. It’s toying with me! It’s trying to screw me over!

Down George V Avenue, LeBlanc says, “Okay, Young, you’ve got one flying lap to put the number 8 on pole. Make it good.”

As I round the corner onto Elysees again, the Lotus appears from through the barrier. He flies by, but not too fast. I push hard to keep up. This is for real. The Lotus is clear now. We push our cars as hard as they can go, shifting as late as possible. LaBlanc is screaming at me to shift earlier, but I ignore him. Inch by inch, I slowly real in the Lotus down the French road. My eyes begin to water.

I kept up with the monster!

My eyes continue to water as I hit a state of pure euphoria. I’ve done it! I sit in vast pride of my accomplishment, and I am finally relaxed as the Alfa dives head-first into the wall.

* * * * *​

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is our feature for tonight. No comeback kid, no continuous destruction of rivals, just a driver who becomes overwhelmed by the desire to defeat one certain Lotus. This is the end, not just of our story, but also of a Mr. James Young, who will be remembered most for what will later be described as suicide of an unknown cause. Nobody at the race will know the story, and Mr. Lafleur will share it with nobody, to prevent anybody else from reaching the same fate as Mr. Young.

Wow..... He died trying to catch up with that Lotus, What a determined guy. He got so happy after keep up he crashed into a wall. Poor guy.

Back