Very new to tuning, what do you think to this?

United Kingdom
Out of this world
Recently I decided to try tuning my own cars instead of relying on on the forums so much. I may have done several cars to what I deem a satisfactory level. One of my latest is the Ferrari F40 (A car I hear is quite a nightmare to set up and handle).

Anyway, below is the set up I have got to so far, I'm quite pleased that it's going in the right direction (although sometimes it's sidewards or backwards). I am just wondering what you seasoned tuners think to it, what could be done to improve it further and if possible I would be very grateful if you would offer any advice about how YOU start and work through a tune.

FERRARI F40 '92 - Red Bull Ring (Best time 1.34.436) 513PP
400BHP
1,300Kg
48:52 Front/Rear weight distribution

Tyres:
Racing soft

Suspension: Ride Height Front 85 : Rear 85

Spring Rate 7.79 : 14.20

Dampers (C) 3 : 3

Dampers (E) 3 : 3

Anti-Roll Bars 3 : 5

Camber Angle 0.5 : 1.5

Toe Angle 0.00 : 0.60

Brakes 7 : 5

Transmission: Top Speed 230 mph

1 4.417
2 2.876
3 1.885
4 1.345
5 1.020

Final Gear 3.928

Drive Train: Initial Torque 10

Acceleration 15

Braking 18

Power Limiter: 80.9%

Body: Ballast 188kg

Position -50%

Most of the tune is from the original settings, No additional power parts and limiter dropped quite extensively. Triple-plate clutch is added, weight reduction is set to stage 3 and window weight reduction has also been altered.

Thanks in advance

Shaun

First of all, congrats on the tune and for posting:)

Second - The best advice I can give is to now find other tunes of the same car and compare them. This will also allow you to see differences in settings and why the other tuner chose what they did. If your tune is close on time then you did good, if not, look at the other settings and play around until you find gains. Tune looks good but, have you tried increasing dampers? Also, lowering rear toe and raising (rear) ride height. SLOWLY!!! and see if you achieve gains and keep it straight. F40 is known for being a difficult car to tune so 'atta boy for choosing a tough one.

Last edited:
Along with what @Bowtie-muscle said, you can learn a great deal by finding a tune that you like and deconstructing it to find out what they did to make it good. That's what I would do with some of @praiano63 cars and is what started me in understanding tuning and then making my own.
Yeah, what Legit said. That is basically what I was trying to say, only he may have been clearer. That is exactly what I did with an @Motor City Hami tune. You can really learn a lot that way.

@Bowtie-muscle :cheers:

@AnfieldLFC252
You`ve picked a tough tune to start with!!
Here is the link to the difficult car thread
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/difficult-car-ferrari-f40.310621/

I would advise you to use harder tyres than RS as they will compensate for a bad setting. Tune it on Sports Softs or Racing Hards and put the softs on it when your happy with the balance. For me tuning is all about balance, and confidence. A tune that is balanced under braking and turn in and through mid corner, and makes you confident about getting the power down early on exit will be a fast tune most of the time.

For the F40 I would look at how I and other tuners have tried to find a balance in the chassis. LSD,springs, dampers, ballast and brakes are where I would start.

Also check out @Motor City Hami tuning guide. Its how I learned to tune.
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/motor-city-tunes-gt6.291066/#post-9003797
and the anatomy of a tune
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/motor-city-tunes-gt6.291066/page-16#post-9871013

@DolHaus has some good info also.
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/general-tuning-guide-updated-1-09.297354/

Last edited:
First of all, I'm really sorry for the lateness of my reply. I've had my head so stuck in the game and other matters that I've not had the chance to respond.

I'm massively grateful for all of your comments, suggestions and advice and hopefully it will be a great help in learning the process of tuning.

Thank you all once again.

First of all, I'm really sorry for the lateness of my reply. I've had my head so stuck in the game and other matters that I've not had the chance to respond.

I'm massively grateful for all of your comments, suggestions and advice and hopefully it will be a great help in learning the process of tuning.

Thank you all once again.
I have heard that is a difficult car to tune. kudoes to you.

Latest Posts

Back