Video games...we don't play no stink'in video games!!

  • Thread starter Thread starter GTP_ken_b
  • 197 comments
  • 10,722 views
I recall this arguement from the GT4 days on this forum, and it didn't go well then either.
Except then it was... is GT a racing game? Or a driving game? :dunce:

Power of the internet at everyones finger tips, and all we do is argue over troll posts.
(which I don't mind from time to time) :banghead:

Are you earning rewards? Are you earning points/credits? Money?...
If you answered yes to any of those while playing GT then it's a game.

Besides cars in real life don't magically reset themselves up right when they roll over onto the roof.
 
Peeps, does any one else get puffy chested when someone refers to our beloved GT5 as a video game? I like to refer to GT5 as a simulator...video games are donkie kong and frogger, video games don't yield the opportunity to become a professional from virtual to reality....so please punch thyself in the face if you refer to GT5 as a video game...is it just me? Peace.


Peace? Heh heh heh heh heh .............

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury - I present to you two pieces of evidence:

Exhibit 1 - The cover - created by the Advertising Agency that came up with the tagline for this bit of software:

Much like the blurb for the restaurant I go to (NOT at the end of the Universe, but just down my street) that says their food is 'out of this world.' I have to say my taste-buds agree.

The tagline for Gran Turismo's software clearly is part of their marketing campaign:
It is also a registered trademark. And thereby advertising license.

100_2203.jpg


I present now Exhibit 2:
The disc that contains the software itself, and with its legal disclaimers clearly holding that users don't get carried away and start rolling them downhill like the wise men from Gotham. The software is clearly labelled as a 'game'. You may insert this disc wherever you wish - in a sim-like rig of your choice that includes a 3D TV as well as Smellovision (watch for certain rockabillies that cut cheese as a lifestyle), a butt-kicker, as well as a high-powered fan that blows you hair back when driving convertibles.
Due to the legal fine-print that labels this product as a game, you may actually use it any way you wish. In fact Simian-like.

100_2191.jpg


OH! Uh ....... peace, and all that.


Besides cars in real life don't magically reset themselves up right when they roll over onto the roof.

CrunchMonkey - the first time that happened (Audi Pikes Peak at the 'Ring) I actually fell over sideways laughing. How real is that?
Well . . . ok. I did fall sideways. ;)
 
Last edited:
I really like when people use visual aids in their demonstration.

First time I rolled a car it was on that last outcrop on Trial Mountain in the classic Lambourghini... I didn't fall over. But I was surprised, and did get a little dizzy.
I also get car sick from driving the Mercury Cougar on Indy Road Course.
I'm not trying to make any point here though.
 
Peace? Heh heh heh heh heh .............

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury - I present to you two pieces of evidence:

Exhibit 1 - The cover - created by the Advertising Agency that came up with the tagline for this bit of software:

Much like the blurb for the restaurant I go to (NOT at the end of the Universe, but just down my street) that says their food is 'out of this world.' I have to say my taste-buds agree.

The tagline for Gran Turismo's software clearly is part of their marketing campaign:

100_2203.jpg


I present now Exhibit 2:
The disc that contains the software itself, and with its legal disclaimers clearly holding that users don't get carried away and start rolling them downhill like the wise men from Gotham. The software is clearly labelled as a 'game'. You may insert this disc wherever you wish - in a sim-like rig of your choice that includes a 3D TV as well as Smellovision (watch for certain rockabillies that cut cheese as a lifestyle), a butt-kicker, as well as a high-powered fan that blows you hair back when driving convertibles.
Due to the legal fine-print that labels this product as a game, you may actually use it any way you wish. In fact Simian-like.

100_2191.jpg


OH! Uh ....... peace, and all that.




CrunchMonkey - the first time that happened (Audi Pikes Peak at the 'Ring) I actually fell over sideways laughing. How real is that?
Well . . . ok. I did fall sideways. ;)
All your exhibits also clearly say simulator on them.
 
Sorry Man, i think your in denial. GT5 IS a video game, not a simulator. :)
 
I personally am not in training for anything so it's just a game.

A great game, and an immersive game when I get in the seat and behind my wheel.

But still it's just for kicks.
 
Unless you're playing something like Sonic or Mario Bros, they're all life simulators that we learn from.
How many guys here have passed their driving test easily and partly put it down to their experience gained on games like GT5?
 
Unless you're playing something like Sonic or Mario Bros, they're all life simulators that we learn from.
How many guys here have passed their driving test easily and partly put it down to their experience gained on games like GT5?

HAHAHA!! :scared:

I don't think I even need to comment on this one. :rolleyes: :eek:
 
Unless you're playing something like Sonic or Mario Bros, they're all life simulators that we learn from.
How many guys here have passed their driving test easily and partly put it down to their experience gained on games like GT5?

I don't have a driving licence at all thanks to spending too much time with video games like GT serries! :p
 
It is a video game. I've trained in a real full cockpit, full motion, multi-million dollar SIMULATOR. If you screwed up in the simulator (hit a power line, mother terra, another aircraft), the wrap-around screens turned red and flashed "FATAL ERROR" and the machine shut down and you received an a$$ chewing. GT5 is a video game albeit a fun one with good graphics, it is still a video game.

do you have a wheel?(g25,g27,T500).

Sure it's not Iracing. but its still a cheaper simulator. you get what you pay for.....

Do you have full motion, wrap-around screens and any penalty for hitting the wall at 100 mph plus? Well, I guess you get what you pay for...Video Game

SO theoretically, going by what you're saying, your multi-million dollar flight simulator is just and OVER-PRICED video game for flash gits and government who like expensive toys.

US Navy Flight Sim = Expensive Video game = Simulator

GT5 = Cheap Video Game = Simulator

They are BOTH Simulators because you learn from BOTH.


Now I'm off to play Mario Kart in my full motion cockpit* with giant wraparound screens that I call my living room.

*US Government issue cockpits now available at Wallmart, from $19.99.
 
I would label GT5 a video game, but I would also label rfactor, iracing and other sims as video games. A lot of these people get annoyed when their beloved iracing is called a video game, which is why I think it is important to call it a video game as much as possible to annoy them.
 
This discussion still going on? I thought we established a few pages back that playing with a DS3 will NOT make you a better driver while playing with a wheel might teach you some basics? :)
 
well i agree.

Look what this game made of Lucas Ordonez.
That's why this could be a real simulator.
 
Yokumaru
well i agree.

Look what this game made of Lucas Ordonez.
That's why this could be a real simulator.

Yes, that's a truth with modification since all of them had more experience than just GT5. That has also been discussed earlier in this thread :)
 
For me, it's a simulator because it legitimately improves your skills at the sport/activity. Would playing Call of Duty make you a better soldier? Probably not. Would playing Madden make you a better football player? Probably not. Would playing Guitar Hero make you a better guitarist? Probably not.

But GT5 on the other hand, if you have the right equipment, actually can make you a better racer or driver. I cannot think of many other games that you can say that about, if any. That's what makes it a 'simulator'.

Research has proven that gaming improves cognitive reasoning and hand-eye coordination, among other things. Guitar Hero will make you a better guitarist as it provides practice for timing, fingering, memorization of transitions and parts, and emphasizes the importance of performance. Madden will improve you ability to call plays, identify open receivers, and teach general football and team-oriented strategies. Call of Duty will help you identify smart offensive and defensive positions on a battlefield, identify and prioritize dangerous targets, and you might even pick up some military terminology on the way.

On some level, any video game that is based on a real-life activity is a simulator... some things are just easier to adapt to games than others. Obviously a sport where you sit still and turn a wheel is one of the easiest.
 
Back