VinFast: Vietnamese, Pininfarina-Designed Luxury Cars

Discussion in 'Auto News' started by Turbo, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Turbo

Turbo Premium

A Vietnamese car? You bet. VinFast, a Vietnamese-based car company startup, is seeking Pininfarina to design a sedan and SUV for the company, VinFast is Vietnam's first ever car company, and they plan to launch their first vehicle in September of next year. If everything goes according to plan, VinFast will produce 500,000 units by 2025.

In a statement, Vingroup vice president Quang Viet Nguyen said “The direct involvement of Pininfarina, one of the world’s biggest design brands, is expected to bring modern beauty while retaining Vietnamese identity to the first two VinFast car models.”

A sedan and an SUV are planned, both appealingly in the premium segment, are planned. It is unknown where these cars will end up being sold (besides Vietnam).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Do you think there is a chance this Vietnamese car brand could start building cars and become prosperous?

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/02/vinfast-taps-pininfarina-design-first-vehicles/

2. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

To be honest, I like how both of these initial offerings look. As long as they don't look as ugly as most cars from Mitsuoka or Ssangyong, they stand a great chance. I will certainly give VinFast a chance.

Snikle and GTboyz like this.
  3. 05XR8

05XR8

Look slightly like Lincoln grilles. Hyundai slowly made their way up the ladder. If VinFast can mimic that, no doubt it can be successful.

4. Robin

Robin Premium

You can be pretty sure the finished articles will look nothing like those pictures.

Even established car companies show interesting artwork then don't deliver.

5. Tornado

Tornado

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

NotThePrez and Turbo like this.
  6. Robin

Robin Premium

Exactly, if you have seen some previous efforts using an Italian design house doesn't guarantee anything!

[​IMG]

bremics and VXR like this.
  7. Northstar

Northstar Premium

VinFast sounds like either a sketchy weight loss pill, or a vin number checking service.

Not a very attractive name for a car brand.

VXR, Carbon_6 and Turbo like this.
  8. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

In a funny sense, I almost thought about Vin Diesel from the Fast and Furious movies when I heard the name "VinFast." I do want to give this company a chance, much like how I gave Borgwand a chance after their long hiatus. I do have some affinity for VinFast since here in Houston we have a large Vietnamese community. It would be interesting to see a relative unknown rise up in the automotive world like Vietnam. Does it mean that Vietnam will challenge the Malaysians, the Chinese, the Koreans, and eventually the Japanese within 10-15 years? Probably not. However, I do think it will be great for this company to build up a portfolio and maybe even grow an auto market in Vietnam.

9. Swift20B

Swift20B

I can see them using a similar platform as Infinities Q50 and Q60. Either way, it will be cool to see Vietnam compete with countries like Korea.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. AndrewQuebec

AndrewQuebec

For those who don't know their name brand. It's nothing to do with Hollywood movie Fast and Furious. VinFast is a short version of Vietnamese language
    Vin=Vietnam
    F (Phong Cach)= style
    A (An Toan) = Safety
    S (Sang tao) = Innovation
    T (Tien Phong) = Pioneer
    You can read for more infor about companies that are their part suppliers at;
    http://vinfast.vn/?lang=en
    Their Prototyped cars are ready for Paris Motor Show this October.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    JohnBM01, Snikle and Turbo like this.
  11. kikie

kikie Premium

SUV looks like a mix of BMW, Volvo and a little bit of Porsche.

12. AndrewQuebec

AndrewQuebec

Their target market is domestic. They ran a survey with available sketches from 3 Italian designer companies and most Vietnamese consumers voted for this style. I don't know much about style so I won't comment.