Viper making a comeback?

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 27 comments

CodeRedR51

Premium
United States
United States
https://www.carscoops.com/2018/05/new-dodge-viper-rumored-launch-2020-around-550-hp/

Fans never gave up hope that the Viper could be reborn and rumors have occasionally hinted at the possibility. Car and Driver is the latest to say the Viper is making a comeback and they suggest the car could be launched in late 2020.

Little is known about the next-generation Viper but the publication says the car will ride on a spaceframe platform and make extensive use of aluminum and carbon fiber. The report also says the Viper will retain its classic shape and initially be launched as a roadster. A coupe will then join the lineup a few years later.

While the Viper will look the part, it will be missing one of its defining characteristics. A V10 engine has powered the snake since the beginning but the new car will reportedly have a naturally aspirated V8 engine. Nothing is official but the publication speculates the base model will produce around 550 hp (410 kW / 557 PS). Additional engines are expected in the future and one of them will reportedly be a second-generation Hellcat V8 developing more than 700 hp (522 kW / 710 PS).

Sounds interesting. A new Viper V8 for around $90,000. Too bad it is not for Europe because of the Euronorm and CO2 restriction. The new norm in 2021: 95g/km (theoretically of course).

There has been rumors for years that they were going to make a V8 sports car based on the Viper.

-> ...
Wasn't the Copperhead concept essentially a Viper chassis with a V6 or V8 engine?
^ Here are the Sports Cars based on the Viper:

Dodge Copperhead (aka. Concept Car in GT) = 2.7L V6 {220hp}
Chrysler Firepower (seen on R.Kelly's "I'm a Flirt (Remix)" music video) = 6.1L V8 Hemi {425hp, from the 1st-gen 300C/Charger SRT-8}

:)

Me if this actually happens and Car and Driver aren't just blowing smoke:

3me4Ikv.png

"aw 🤬"-Vette,Mustang,NSX

Yeah cars that actually sold and weren't axed because us car fans were more interested rather than people with money... And their manufactures afraid of a V8 version that will potentially be weaker if it doesn't adopt the hellcat powertrain? And even at that will still be weaker.

Last edited:
Yeah cars that actually sold and weren't axed because us car fans were more interested rather than people with money... And their manufactures afraid of a V8 version that will potentially be weaker if it doesn't adopt the hellcat powertrain? And even at that will still be weaker.

....it was just a joke man....

Is Jalopnik more reliable?

The story is based off a Tweet from Automobile magazine and was a question directly asked to Sergio Marchionne - who's probably the be all, end all source on what FCA is doing.

Considering I've heard the Viper was cancelled for any multiple reasons, and that the US car market has gone to near non-existent, and Considering all that FCA do and have, I'll be shocked if there's a new Viper in the next decade.

have to really read into what SM said about the Viper. He could mean Viper (as in a hand built, priority chassis/engine/components supercar) will not return. that doesn't single out using a platform from within the company already in use (Maserati? Alfa Romeo?) to build off of with 6 or V8 power.

Back