Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Archive

  • Thread starter Thread starter DRIFT4EVA
  • 13,819 comments
  • 784,858 views

Holden or Ford

  • Holden

    Votes: 209 36.2%
  • Ford

    Votes: 175 30.3%
  • Ford and Holden

    Votes: 64 11.1%
  • Nismo

    Votes: 74 12.8%
  • Erebus

    Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

    Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

    Votes: 43 7.4%

  • Total voters
    578
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.v8supercars.com.au/news/championship/volvo-considers-adding-cars-in-2015
Interesting story. If Garry were to invest in young talent, it would be hard to go past someone like Ash Walsh. Jack Perkins would be a good pick aswell seing as him and Scott alresdy have a good relationship and if given a good car, Jack has the ability to get top 10's/5's

I'd like to see someone like Walsh, Pederson or Heimgartner (believe he's contracted to FPR?)get an opportunity. Was going to say as much as I like him. Jack really hasn't shown much so far this year and may be better suited to just being a co-driver but that's probably a little harsh considering his FPR stable mate Reynolds has been pretty disappointing too so far.
 
I'd like to see someone like Walsh, Pederson or Heimgartner (believe he's contracted to FPR?)get an opportunity. Was going to say as much as I like him. Jack really hasn't shown much so far this year and may be better suited to just being a co-driver but that's probably a little harsh considering his FPR stable mate Reynolds has been pretty disappointing too so far.
Very true, David Reynolds has been pretty average this year which is surprising. If Volvo were to buy an existing team, the best option for me would be DJR and have Walsh and Pye backed by Wilson Security. In the second GRM car, I would have a) Lindbom considering his ties with GRM through Dragon Racing although he hasn't really proven himself. b) Premat; he was coming on strong last year and he and Scott will be definite dark horses come Enduro time. c) Holdsworth and Caruso; both are out of contract but Caruso is the only one to realistically leave his current team because Holdsworth would want to finish what he has started at Erebus
 
I agree with Premat. Wasn't going to happen this year as stated with the S60 development. Thing is , I bet Premat would have been running consistant top 10. He wasn't going to get pushed around this season. Though, I can see the Extra S60s with a couple young stars in them than BJR switching brands.

I won't speak negative of Jack. I feel Schwarkopf(Swarkoff?)..CHARLIE!, would have faired better with Alex D in the JW FGII.
 
would have faired better with Alex D in the JW FGII.
C1526017-E1BE-4822-AADC-969058C71759_zpsqwb0zky4.jpg
 
I've never liked Alex and only felt he was there due to his brother.

Also this was just terrible and I'm not a whincup fan, heck I'd rather Paul Morris back and that's saying something
 
I'd rather Paul Morris back and that's saying something

Woah, woah! That's a little harsh, don't you think? :p


Seriously though, I think Alex Davison is pretty useless in anything other than a Porsche Cup Car.
 
Thing is , I bet Premat would have been running consistant top 10.

For sure, with the improvement he showed last year. I'm reckon if he was driving a S60 this year that he'd be a pretty consistent top ten threat. Seriously looking forward to him partnering with McLaughlin in the enduro's. Definite dark horse indeed.
 
If they had to bring a Swedish driver should of been Rydell
 
Rydell? He hasn't been a reliable, regular front-runner in any series for years.
 
Rydell? He hasn't been a reliable, regular front-runner in any series for years.
That is mainly because he hasn't done a full season in anything for awhile, but he is a driver who would be more suited to the style of racing in V8s compared to Dahlgren who honestly is completely out of his element.

Ekstrom would obviously be the best Swede but he is an Audi/Redbull driver so it's unlikely to happen unless its the Redbull 888.
 
I've never liked Alex and only felt he was there due to his brother.

Also this was just terrible and I'm not a whincup fan, heck I'd rather Paul Morris back and that's saying something


Oh, trust. I always felt(check some of past posts) that Alex never had all his marbles. But, him having one more year , this year, would have been beneficial for his experience in the New Gen V8. Jack is doing worse than Dahlgren at the moment.

I'm no race driver and I don't know what it's like to be at the top a motorsport category expected to deliver. Yes, he's under serious pressure to perform. I'm not knocking his go being chosen buuuuut, I know he would be at least as good as Percat.
 
Has anyone heard any updates on V8's coming back to the US?
 
Yes - 2015 if possible, but 2016 is more likely.
 
Lime Rock suits V8 style of racing perfectly. It is just like the courses here. short, fast, not much run-off area, just not as bumpy as it used to be.
i'd much rather see LAguna Seca or Watkins Glen or Daytona or Road America or Road Atlanta(this track would suit V8 style of racing, naturally).
 
Sonoma Indy layout would be my pick, followed by Laguna.
 
I'd go Watkins Glenn and then make it a potential joint weekend with Sprint Cup, a deal between the two would be great for both I think.
 
Last edited:
Road America, Lime Rock and Watkins Glen are all a considerable distance from Austin. The further away they are, the more expensive it gets.
 
The new contract with the AGP might see the cars follow F1. If they do an Austin/Canada venture, that would be cool.

Well. I just looked at the predicted '15 F1 calendar. My theory won't fly if the USGP is in Nov and Canada in June. Any way...
 
Last edited:
Road America, Lime Rock and Watkins Glen are all a considerable distance from Austin. The further away they are, the more expensive it gets.

Well there isn't much near Texas to begin with as far as road courses go, the closest is California and that's still some distance considering the tracks we're mainly thinking are mid to north Cali. I mean it's not Florida or New York, the problem is any time we bring this up in discussion there is a dissenting voice that says it's too much. So what should they do? And better yet why plan anything if it's going to be too much, either they're willing to risk (hence why a partnership would help) and expand and grow or be conservative and stay about the relative size now.
 
California might be some distance from Texas, but remember, it's a round trip - Australia-Texas-California is shorter than Australia-Texas-Eastern Seaboard.
 
Miller in Utah is a great track too, but that track just wouldn't get the attendance numbers they need. The problem is there are very few or zero professional tracks in the New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Arizona area, so California is really the best bet.
 
Another new circuit is being planned, this time outside Toowoomba. They're aiming yo make the 2016 calendar.
 
California might be some distance from Texas, but remember, it's a round trip - Australia-Texas-California is shorter than Australia-Texas-Eastern Seaboard.

As much as I wish it could come back east more, it doesn't make much sense when they fly out of Austin to LA to Australia. Granted I don't know who is pushing for what tracks which would be helpful to know if it's Penske pushing for somewhere or them looking at certain places. I really do wish it would come east just so I can make it a little easier for travel and expenses but I think I will try to make it to both tracks. If I had to guess it will be a back to back weekend which won't be too bad for me.
 
I actually reckon that the new Indianapolis road circuit - the one used by IndyCar this year - would be pretty good.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back