Voice Chat on the races, leave your vote !

• Thread starter Aero-R
  • 13 comments

Voice Chat Software

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aero-R
Recently some users have started to use some software for voice chat. Mostly TEAM SPEAK, VENTRILO or SKYPE on 95% times. There are some that have not the option of a voice chat through microphone and are writting each other just through Java chats based on IRC or something like that... but you should know that even on the 3 software I said, keyboard chat is available too.

I think that I should do a poll to see what the racers here prefer, and then when we have a favourite software, do anything like a near to official thread explaining how to get it, do the setup, and connect with the others. On that way, we could have all the posibility at least to chat with some others even if we live on countries with big differences on the GMT hour table, or game regions, because we will be more on that single software and not like now that we're separated o many ones.

Most of you know the differences between those voice chat software, but you should take in mind that when talking about use them on GT, those differences are not as big as before, for example because for most of the drivers the use of PUSH TO TALK (using a button of the keyboard in order to talk, like a walkie-talkie) is not easy when they are a bit far from the PC or busy with the hands on the wheel. So propierties like that are useless later for some of the users and differences between softwares come smaller then.

Basically, TEAM SPEAK and VENTRILO are almost the same... differences I know is that VENTRILO have better audio quality due to it's codecs, but TEAM SPEAK have the option to hide your voice activity (people from other rooms will not see if you're talking or not, but this have not much utility for us now). Both need a server to work and both have PUSH TO TALK mode too. SKYPE on the other hand is the one with the best audio quality, no server needed, and shows too the country for each user, hour, and so on, but as far I know it doesn't come with PUSH TO TALK mode. The 3 ones have the option to have a lot of players talking at the same time / room, but SKYPE could be the one that supports less ones, although I've not tested how many..

Just leave your opinion / vote. I think we could have this poll open for example until the moment of the divisions release when the mods will public the results, and then do a quick tutorial for the most voted soft. =]

EDIT: This poll will be OPEN until midnight of 18th September.

Last edited:
I have been running team speak for about 3 weeks now.The room that I run in is operated by the members at the Playstation fourms and you need a password to gain access.The mike is voice activated so there is no button to push.If GTPlanet decides to use a different site, I will download it.But using a voice chat has made the game alot more fun.:)

I'm pretty sure ventrilo has the option to enable the mic to be always on instead of "push-to-talk"

One of the guys i was in a room with just kept his mic on, but i had no idea how he did it.
But i don't really mind using anyone of the programs, makes racing alot better + talking about random stuff is always an enjoyable time killer.

I have used TeamSpeak in a variety of FPS games on the pc, I haven't used it in GT5P yet, but I might. :)

I have used Skype quite alot in GT5P. Great sound quality, easy to use. Until we get ingame chat it works for me.

I'm pretty sure ventrilo has the option to enable the mic to be always on instead of "push-to-talk"

One of the guys i was in a room with just kept his mic on, but i had no idea how he did it.
But i don't really mind using anyone of the programs, makes racing alot better + talking about random stuff is always an enjoyable time killer.
I think that you're talking about GTP_BJM. If I'm right.. you were talking with him and me one day while he was using the voice activation by pressure. It's on the SETUP section, quite easy to config. Both VENTRILO and TEAM SPEAK contains that feature.

EDIT: GTP_Scooty, you voted for "Other" but you forget to leave your message with which other software you use or prefer...

I think that you're talking about GTP_BJM. If I'm right.. you were talking with him and me one day while he was using the voice activation by pressure. It's on the SETUP section, quite easy to config. Both VENTRILO and TEAM SPEAK contains that feature.

EDIT: GTP_Scooty, you voted for "Other" but you forget to leave your message with which other software you use or prefer...

Yes it was GTP_BJM, i just forgot his username.

Anyway, I seem to not be able to find "activation by pressure" or anything along the lines of that in my "setup" within Ventrilo, all i see is the Push To talk option. Care to help me out? haha

Anyway, I seem to not be able to find "activation by pressure" or anything along the lines of that in my "setup" within Ventrilo, all i see is the Push To talk option. Care to help me out? haha

Of course mate, go to the SETUP section, and on the new window that appears you should uncheck the USE PUSH TO TALK HOTKEY (PTT MODE) option. Then 2 parameters become available for they configuration:

- SILENCE TIME: config. the desired time of "open mic" after the last sound captured by your microphone. Take in mind the slow or fast you talk, someones want to have the less time possible of "open mic" after each word, and someones used to talk slowly and need a higher value because they don't want a "open/close mic" routine betwen each word. I use the 0'5 or 1 second value, just test it with different values and choice your personal preference.

- SENSIVITY: config. the pressure needed to entry into the "open mic" status. The higher you select it, the more pressure you need to aply to the microphone in order to "open" it. Take in mind the distance between you and the microphone when you're playing.

Hope this helps you =]

Last edited:
Okey the divions have been finally released. I was thinking about close this before 21st September to have this all working before that date (date on which the GTP_Registry will be re-open, so the new users could have where to chat).

The new thing about thread for each Division could be translated to a Voice Chat system to. For example, rooms for each Division (at least on Ventrilo or Team Speak if choosen).

I'll mark as deadline for the close of this poll: midnight of 18th September, GMT. So you still have like 35 hours to leave your vote. After that as I said I'll work on a easy tutorial for the choosen soft in order to make it easy to use for those who want to join !. Choice your preference and vote n_n !

It has to be said that teamspeak has dreadful sound quality compared to Ventrilo, its like the difference between AM and FM radio. I can't comment on skype never seen it or used it.

It has to be said that teamspeak has dreadful sound quality compared to Ventrilo, its like the difference between AM and FM radio. I can't comment on skype never seen it or used it.

I have Skype installed, but have not had a chance to use it (can't find anyone). The "call test" sounds fine. I like TS because it's all I know. But, the delay is a MAJOR flaw and I'm sure sound (as stated) is better on other comm apps. Ventrilo, I've never used, nor seen. But, I'm open to whatever the community recommends as a whole.

As long as it's very user friendly and not as temperamental as TS. Can't stand getting that frickin' "ERROR bad log in" BS when none of the info was changed!!!

It would be great if I knew what thread(s) had info to get hooked up with others from the community on a daily basis.

And finally VENTRILO wins.

Unfortunately I couldn't be on the PC exactly at the midnight deadline due to work, but I did come back at 00:48 and the results changed only on one vote. Before the deadline, on the evening, were:

TEAM SPEAK: 7
VENTRILO: 11
OTHERS: 2

And later, there has been only one vote after that moment, I don't know if I was before the deadline or after, but it was just one vote more to VENTRILO so it doesn't change anything, I was winning already.

As promised I'm going to make a basic tutorial about the choosen soft. in order to help everybody who want to install it, with the installation, setup, and basic things. Thanks to everybody who voted in this poll. I'm going to close the thread/poll then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back