Irons

(Banned)
United States
'Merica
GTP_Irons / ThrasherDBS
You're Funny
2011 Volkswagen Amarok​
vw-amorak.jpg

I recently came across this new truck that's supposedly coming out in 2011. I was surprised to find out that it was a Volkswagen of all things. Trucks aren't usually what I associate VWs with. Anyway here's what I found on it.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/12/01/officially-official-volkswagen-amarok-pickup-makes-the-scene/

Excerpt:
The Amarok is launching worldwide in a four-door version with "double cab" – a "single cab" will debut in the first half of 2011. Conceptually and stylistically, the Amarok – up to 5.25 meter long – is a pick-up that looks like it came right out of the pages of a stylish copybook. Its body, set upon a ladder frame, clearly reflects properties of the new Volkswagen design DNA. As usual, the emphasis here is on horizontal lines, a clear interplay of surfaces and precision.

I must say, I actually like it. There's something about it that makes it nod-worthy

More Pics.

Last edited:
Wooh, it looks like a Corvette! ;)

Edit: That looks awesome! RWD biased, tough design, manual transmission and diesel offered...WIN!

Edit2: Wait a ticket...it won't be offered in the US? What a load of crap!

Last edited:
I would be happy if most American cars had an interior that looked like that.

You know, I can't place it, but the truck looks a lot like something else. Did VW do some backroom deal with someone to get this out on the market?

Not for sale in the US? For some reason i saw that coming.

Most likely due to the 25% "Chicken Tax" on trucks and commercial vans. It will be interesting to see how well the diesel Mahindra sells though. Perhaps if it does well enough, VW could potentially build a plant here and start selling them.

I mean, look at the mileage that all the "small" trucks in the US market get, it's just about the same as the full-size trucks! The Amarok supposedly gets 30mpg, yet is a body-on-frame truck! :ouch:

I mean, look at the mileage that all the "small" trucks in the US market get, it's just about the same as the full-size trucks! The Amarok supposedly gets 30mpg, yet is a body-on-frame truck! :ouch:
That's because in America there is only a single small truck, and it hasn't been updated since 1993.

Well I was including the mid-size trucks as well, since they are still smaller than the full-size trucks.

Reminds me of a Nissan Frontier. Cool looking truck, but like the Honda Ridgeline, it's just weird when a manufacturer that does not make pickups suddenly starts making them.

Its body, set upon a ladder frame, clearly reflects properties of the new Volkswagen design DNA.

Ex-squeeze me? Baking powder?

Take the nose off and it could be ANY quad-cab truck.

+1. There's nothing about it that says "Volkswagen" save for the nose and the interior. That said, I prefer the look of it to most other offerings in the class.

If you look closely at the hood, you'll see that it really remenbers the new cars from Volks, the lines going "under" the midle of the hood is in almost every new car from Volks now.

And yet if you don't look closely, or look at it from any angle other than the one which has the VW badge on it, it looks like every other quad-cab truck in the world.

It couldn't be less distinctive if they just took a Mitsubishi L200 and put a VW badge on it.

And yet if you don't look closely, or look at it from any angle other than the one which has the VW badge on it, it looks like every other quad-cab truck in the world.

2009-Dodge-Ram-Laramie-i024.jpg

2007ChevySilveradoClubBeautyLeftFlat01FixedSmall.jpg

09f150_crew_side.jpg

Not ALL of them. Remember, we count as "The World," too.

Nitpicking aside, It looks like every other quad-cab truck sold in Europe, Asia, and Africa. Unless USDM Fullsizers are sold over there, too...

As well, VW has built pickups before, but I believe this is their first "conventional" truck, the others being...

volkwsagen-bus-18.jpg

Rabbitamino_LH.jpg

^more of a ute, I know.

I wonder how long it will be before the VW fanbois get their hands on it, lower it by a foot and fit 14inch BBS's with ridiculous stretched tyres and comical camber?

I know... I was including US trucks.

Cover the nose up and this "VW design DNA" truck would pass for any of them.

Well, if it's LRA out back, they won't be able to get the camber. 'least, out back. ;3

On the other hand, I just saw the thread title and thought it was "Amtrak." Good, because if it were, it'd arrive everywhere two hours late on long trips.

EDIT: Meh, It's really got that tall/narrow thing going on, typical of european trucks. US trucks are flatter, rounder, and wider. Like US people.

Did I say that out loud?

I'd love to have the truck here, but I figured it wouldn't be coming stateside. Unless the Americans or the Japanese get around to re-investing in their small truck line and they become popular again, VW has no reason to spend the money to develop a pickup for North America.

I'd love to have the truck here, but I figured it wouldn't be coming stateside. Unless the Americans or the Japanese get around to re-investing in their small truck line and they become popular again, VW has no reason to spend the money to develop a pickup for North America.

They won't unless they lower the prices a lot. Currently a small/mid-size pickup only costs about $5000 less than a fullsize. If you are getting a pickup you might as well spend a couple more thousand and get twice the room.

The trouble is, a truck is still essentially three boxes - an engine, a cabin and a bed. Regardless of the massive grille they whack on it or the odd fender flare here and there, they all look pretty similar. Of course, there's a reason for that, which is utility. You need space for an engine, passengers and stuff.

But it's a class of vehicle that essentially has very little actual design involved. You just take a piece of tracing paper to the previous generation and then snazz it up a bit. Or in the case of Volkswagen's above, take a piece of tracing paper to someone else's and snazz it up a bit...

It's funny Famine mentioned the L200 as the current model is the one pickup at the moment that looks significantly different from all the others:

061122007.1.jpg

Look! Curves!

I've always thought that the L200 was nifty as hell, and I really wish Mitsubishi didn't evacuate most of the vehicles so thoroughly from the U.S. market.

Well, we're apparently getting the Colt now. Perhaps Mitsubishi will get around to giving us models that you know, are actually good vehicles. Perhaps they'll make a little money.

The new L200/Triton is actually the only modern chassis in its class. Modern in the sense that it won't crumple up like a cardboard box in a crash.

Nice truck. Too soft for my tastes, but a very nice truck.

Well, we're apparently getting the Colt now. Perhaps Mitsubishi will get around to giving us models that you know, are actually good vehicles. Perhaps they'll make a little money.
I dunno. It hasn't worked for them in the past (see: Montero. Outlander.).

I hate saying this, but I think that Diamond Star in Normal has Jumped the Shark. The Galant and Eclipse are absolutely horrid cars. The only thing worth getting on Mitsu's lots is the Lancer...good thing you have the FWD line and the Ralliart/Evo line.

and now I'm being horridly inconsistent with my anti-OT stuff yesterday...

I wonder how long it will be before the VW fanbois get their hands on it, lower it by a foot and fit 14inch BBS's with ridiculous stretched tyres and comical camber?

I don't think it would look all that bad, then again I like lowered trucks.

Quick photoshop:
VWTruck.jpg

I dunno. It hasn't worked for them in the past (see: Montero. Outlander.).

Has the Outlander bombed then? We had one for the majority of my R66 trip a few years back, was a very pleasant car to cross the country in. Felt pretty solid too.

I see plenty of them, mostly older models, though.

Outlander's the Lancer-based, one, right?

Back