Volkswagen ID - General Discussion

• Thread starter FT-1
  • 216 comments
If VW's aim was to disguise the car as a squashed Vauxhall Grandland X, I think they succeeded for the most part (just look at the grille, for example)...
I suspect that's exactly the aim. Admittedly a bit futile as most of the industry can work these things out fairly quickly, but it's certainly not unusual for a manufacturer to disguise a prototype as that of someone else to throw people off the scent.

You can see they've added stickers to the car in certain places - the grille, the outer edges of the headlights, the inner edges of the taillights, even the outer edges of the chrome trim along the top of the car, to try and make it look more like the Vauxhall.

The production Seat El-Born has been teased, looking like the ID.3's sportier sibling.
2020-Seat-El-Born-1-768x363.jpg

The SEAT looks good but he name is pretty bad. Just choose a name from a city and they will get a better name. hehehe
I think the ID4 looks like a Hyundai...
VW needs to make the ID Space Vizzion Concept!!!

First performance model of the ID range spotted, rumoured to be called the ID.4 GTX. Performance specs are unknown at this stage, although the ID Crozz concept had around 302HP.
vw-id.4-gtx-spy-photo.jpg

Looks inoffensive, VW will probably shift a ton of these.

With every ID car reveal, we get one step closer to the production ID Buzz... :cool:

And now the official reveal of the ID 4 is here, with a starting price of less than $40,000 before incentives.
2021-VW-ID.4-Euro-spec-10.jpg

2021-VW-ID.4-Euro-spec-6.jpg

2021-VW-ID.4-US-spec-23.jpg

Launches initially in rear wheel drive form and a maximum output of 201hp and EPA range of 250 miles. An all wheel drive variant with 302hp will launch next year.

akrales_200915_4161_0056.0.jpg

https://www.theverge.com/2020/10/5/21502032/volkswagen-id4-electric-suv-first-drive-vw

The steering was responsive, the shocks mostly soaked up all the bumps in the road, and the acceleration was pleasantly torque-y like you would expect from a rear-wheel-drive electric motor. But the ID 4 wasn’t showy or demanding about any of it. The good thing about this car is that it’s nondescript but not boring. It looks like a typical VW with a few futuristic flourishes. I received no second glances from passersby and was able to blend into my environment, which typically isn’t the case with a new EV.

While driving, you would expect a low-grade motor whir common with EVs, and you’d be right. After all, there was no noisy combustion under the hood to radiate throughout the vehicle’s interior. As you accelerate, the motor definitely emits a higher-pitch sound, but not distractingly so.

Thanks to a narrow A-pillar and a stubby front end, I felt like I could see everything I was supposed to from the driver’s seat.

What else about the screen? It was angled slightly toward the driver, so it felt accessible without being distracting. The interface was pleasant and easy to navigate. And the placement of the home button on the left-hand side of the screen felt intuitive and easy to access.

The voice assistant, which is activated by saying “Hello, ID,” left a lot to be desired. In its press materials, VW claims that the ID 4’s functionality is “almost completely controlled by touch or voice control.” But I found myself having to repeat myself a lot, and I was constantly getting tripped up by the long lag time between the wake words and actually saying what you want the assistant to do. VW says the voice assistant is still in beta and will be much improved when the ID 4 starts shipping to customers in early 2021.

Again, it was only a brief test, but the ID 4’s advanced driver assist system appeared to be highly capable, with adaptive cruise control, lane-keep assistance, blind spot detection, and all the bells and whistles typically found in most new cars.

Skateboards in case you run out of "juice"?

Looking good except for the front bumper. Electric cars starting to look more normal compared to the first generation of electric cars some years ago.

What a selection of equally dull wheels it has to offer :rolleyes:

Makes me think though. After the recent trend towards some very open, thin-spoked wheels - no doubt lead by the need for brake cooling in increasingly heavier cars, as much as it was for style. Are these much less open wheels, and it's not just Volkswagon heading in this direction, designed to keep heat in the brakes for some reason? - Perhaps the regenerative effect means brakes no longer get the workout they once did and therefore don't require the same degree of heat extraction?

Last edited:
What a selection of equally dull wheels it has to offer :rolleyes:

Makes me think though. After the recent trend towards some very open, thin-spoked wheels - no doubt lead by the need for brake cooling in increasingly heavier cars, as much as it was for style. Are these much less open wheels, and it's not just Volkswagon heading in this direction, designed to keep heat in the brakes for some reason? - Perhaps the regenerative effect means brakes no longer get the workout they once did and therefore don't require the same degree of heat extraction?
No, they're aero wheels which are more efficient and gives the car more range.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a30169467/tesla-model-3s-aero-wheel-covers-efficiency-test/

Last edited:
Sure, but hasn't that always been the case? Petrol, diesel or electric. Better aerodynamics gives better fuel efficiency. We've had aerodynamic wheels or wheel trims in the past, but there's been a movement towards more open looking wheels of late.
I think it's because designers wanted the look of spokes and the gains from fuel efficiency didn't matter with gasoline cars as no one cared as much about fuel efficiency and the oil companies were happy to sell more gas. Now that companies are switching to EVs, every single mile of range matters when cars like the Audi e-Tron struggles to reach 200 miles and the average buyer of an EV doesn't want to sacrifice range

I think it's because designers wanted the look of spokes and the gains from fuel efficiency didn't matter with gasoline cars as no one cared as much about fuel efficiency...

I think manufacturers and the buying public, especially those who live in places where fuel is heavily taxed and therefore expensive - like Europe, have cared very much on the whole about fuel efficiency for a number of decades now. It's been the drive behind the uptake in diesel powered cars over that time period.

I think manufacturers and the buying public, especially those who live in places where fuel is heavily taxed and therefore expensive - like Europe, have cared very much on the whole about fuel efficiency for a number of decades now. It's been the drive behind the uptake in diesel powered cars over that time period.
That is definitely true. Of course I'm not an engineer and I'm sure there's probably more to the decision than I'm aware of.

Maybe it's the design of the wheel? As even you had said, the wheels for the ID4 are "dull". Perhaps the marketing companies deemed that the design are more important than fuel efficiency despite it being heavily taxes otherwise.

Maybe it is as you had hypothesized that it's due to brake cooling. Although I personally don't see it being the case. I did a quick Google search and it seems like it has to do more with battery temperature than brake temperature. When the battery is cold, it can't charge as well as it would in its recommended operating range.
https://www.wired.com/story/electric-cars-cold-weather-tips/
https://insideevs.com/news/398557/maximize-ev-range-winter-tips/
https://tomharrisonjr.com/tesla-model-3-cold-weather-tips-e8db94afb1eb

I personally believe it's because the efficiency gains from the aero wheels are more important when it's difficult to extract more efficiency from the battery at the current battery technology compared to the ICE

Are aero wheels not just marketing or do these wheels actually increase the range? And I mean not a few miles but a decent distance.

Are aero wheels not just marketing or do these wheels actually increase the range? And I mean not a few miles but a decent distance.
In the Car and Driver article I linked, they tested it and there is an appreciable difference.

teslatires-max2-1576529897.png

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/glob...ynamic-wheels-for-the-purely-electric-bmw-ix3

BMW claimed their aero wheels will increase efficiency by 2%

Oh, while looking up this, I found the reason why ICE didn't use aero wheels.

https://insideevs.com/news/337292/tesla-model-3-aero-wheel-covers-ev-vs-ice-comparison/

via this Jalopnik article

The loss from the drivetrain in ICEs impact efficiency way more than the aero wheels so more investment were put into the drivetrain than the wheels. Now that EVs have way less loss in the drivetrain, they are now trying to squeeze efficiency elsewhere

ice-vs-ev-tm3-aero-absolute-losses.jpg

I saw my very first ID 3 today. I hardly noticed the car. It is a normal looking car like any other modern car. It was black and that made it probably less noticeable.

Here's Cupra's version of the ID.3, the Cupra El-Born. It has a boost button that will temporarily boost power output for overtaking. Additionally, it'll have sportier suspension.

2021-Cupra-EL-Born-01.jpg

2021-Cupra-EL-Born-03.jpg

Much like the Sport Chrono overboost function in the Porsche 911, the el-Born is set to get a special ‘overtaking’ function in the form of a push-to-pass boost button, according to the brand’s boss Wayne Griffiths.

By pressing this button, the electric powertrain of the Cupra El-Born will produce more power than normal for a limited amount of time, cutting short the time you spend overtaking other vehicles.

[...]

In addition, the el-Born will also feature an exclusively developed Dynamic Chassis Control Sport (DCC Sport) suspension in order to offer a more engaging and fun handling than its VW sibling.

“Things like ‘boost on demand’, the sporty suspension, the steering, the brakes, the whole handling experience. And we’re looking to do even higher powered versions of the Cupra El-Born,” adds Griffiths.

“I’ve driven both [the ID.3 and the El-Born] and I think the Cupra is ‘a Cupra’. It is important that the Cupra stays authentic, in terms of handling. Pure electric cars that are designed in a different way, and when you get into cornering, handling, braking, steering, I think there’s a big amount of differentiation you can create there.”

https://www.carscoops.com/2021/01/c...will-feature-a-boost-function-for-overtaking/

I wonder if it is still wise to buy a new ICE car. On the other hand, the battery technology will improve a lot in the next 5 years or so. So buying an EV this year is probably not a good idea either. EV's with current battery technology will depreciate in value a lot, I think.

Last edited:
Back