Volkswagen ID - General Discussion

• Thread starter FT-1
  • 216 comments
I really like this, and the ID Crozz looks pretty cool too:

1200px-VW_ID_Crozz%2C_IAA_2017_%281Y7A2031%29.jpg

Starting at €30,000? That is definitely not bad at all.

Not bad? It's still too expensive in my opinion. It would be OK if the longest range version would be €30,000 full option, but a starting price of 30k is still way too high. EV's need to become cheaper.

Not bad? It's still too expensive in my opinion. It would be OK if the longest range version would be €30,000 full option, but a starting price of 30k is still way too high. EV's need to become cheaper.
Indeed, agreed!

They didn't mention it back when they first started in 2016.

https://newsroom.vw.com/vehicles/concept-cars/an-id-for-the-future/

I assume it's supposed to be "Identity" as in this is VW's new brand identity. Remember this was only a year into post-dieselgate.

I've heard some journalists throw around the idea of the ID.3 being VW's third chapter in its automotive story, with the Beetle and Golf being the first two chapters. Something along those lines.

They are trending that way...but slowly.

It's the batteries. Batteries suck!

I would really love to see somebody, even if its only a concept, make an 'electric' car based around a mechanical storage (flywheel) device in place of a battery. (I'm wont to be attracted to devices that have a few significant disadvantages to create a host of beneficial traits for the system it belongs to as a whole: see rotary engine). Used creatively, you could use it to replace energy storage, motors, and even some suspension components (anti-roll bars) with one device that could also actively control pitch/yaw. Charging it up would probably only take a few minutes too. Just need to get those exotic superconducting bearings ready for primetime. I'm afraid we've gone down the path of electric cars with lithium batteries are unquestionably the future when more exciting alternatives may exist.

I would really love to see somebody, even if its only a concept, make an 'electric' car based around a mechanical storage (flywheel) device in place of a battery. (I'm wont to be attracted to devices that have a few significant disadvantages to create a host of beneficial traits for the system it belongs to as a whole: see rotary engine). Used creatively, you could use it to replace energy storage, motors, and even some suspension components (anti-roll bars) with one device that could also actively control pitch/yaw. Charging it up would probably only take a few minutes too. Just need to get those exotic superconducting bearings ready for primetime. I'm afraid we've gone down the path of electric cars with lithium batteries are unquestionably the future when more exciting alternatives may exist.
I guess to the cheque writers, "batteries" sounds like $$, "exciting alternatives" may sound like $$$$$.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/hybrid-electric/a6266/porsche-911-gt3r-hybrid-flywheel/

VW is selling their ID platform to other car manufacturers. They hope the price of EV will go down when other car manufacturers buy their platform.
Ford is already a VW ID platform customer.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news...to-tell-you-when-to-slow-down-or-change-lanes

The ID3 will feature a light bar in the interior between the base of the windshield and the dash that'll light up telling you specific things such as when you enter the car to welcome you, when to slow down, when to change lanes based on navigation, when you get an incoming call, etc.

volkswagen-id-light--brake-warning_100719791_h.jpg

volkswagen-id-light--incoming-call_100719793_h.jpg

volkswagen-id-light--battery-charging_100719792_h.jpg

https://www.motorauthority.com/news...to-tell-you-when-to-slow-down-or-change-lanes
Thats good, cuz last time I slowed down I didnt even notice.

Well, it's the 19th and here is the ID Space Vizzion Concept

With an 82-kilowatt-hour battery pack, this allows for long-distance cruising at an estimated 367 miles (560 kilometers) in the WLTP cycle or 300 miles (483 kilometers) in the EPA test.

Like other upcoming electric VWs, the Space Vizzion rides on the MEB platform. This model packs a rear-mounted, 275-horsepower (205-kilowatt) electric motor that drives the back wheels. As a possible sign of the vehicle's future, VW notes that another motor could power the front wheels to provide a total of 355 hp (265 kW). This all-wheel-drive version could hit 60 miles per hour (96 kilometers per hour) in five seconds, and there's an electronically limited top speed of 109 mph (175 kph)

https://www.motor1.com/news/383226/volkswagen-id-space-vizzion-debut/

vw-id-space-vizzion.jpg

vw-id-space-vizzion.jpg

vw-id-space-vizzion.jpg

vw-id-space-vizzion.jpg

vw-id-space-vizzion.jpg

That's a very athletic and appealing design, I can see this being a Taycan Sport Turismo on a budget.

My first glance thought was "why is there a Chevy in this thread? Wait, that's a Ford isn't it?".

From the side profile it reminds me of modern Hondas.

It's... Incredibly generic.

Back