Volkswagen ID - General Discussion

• Thread starter FT-1
  • 216 comments
I kinda hope they keep the lightbars, because it just looks like a typical Golf otherwise.
The front light bar is almost certainly staying given that all ID cars have it as an option. I would say the rear bar is likely to be carried over too, but may not be fully illuminated.

It's also interesting that you mention how it looks like a typical Golf. To me, that's the best thing about the ID.2all design, it looks far more like the early iterations of the Golf with its subcompact size. It does a better job of looking like a traditional Golf than the Mk8, which looks bloated in comparison.

Last edited:
The front light bar is almost certainly staying given that all ID cars have it as an option. I would say the rear bar is likely to be carried over too, but may not be fully illuminated.

It's also interesting that you mention how it looks like a typical Golf. To me, that's the best thing about the ID.2all's design; it looks far more like the early iterations of the Golf with its subcompact size. It does a better job of looking like a traditional Golf than the Mk8, which looks bloated in comparison.
That’s what I’m digging. Golfs are upright. I understand designs change due to pedestrian safety, but I loved my Mk2 Jettas for being able to see the corners of the car.

On another note of nostalgia, the Beetle is dead, but I think as an EV, it could be done proper like the original Beetle or the New Beetle concept and its variants.
1679082722160.jpeg

That’s what I’m digging. Golfs are upright. I understand designs change due to pedestrian safety, but I loved my Mk2 Jettas for being able to see the corners of the car.

On another note of nostalgia, the Beetle is dead, but I think as an EV, it could be done proper like the original Beetle or the New Beetle concept and its variants.
View attachment 1240147
ora-punk-cat-reveals-how-much-it-was-inspired-by-the-classic-vw-beetle.jpg

The Chinese have had a go. This is the ORA Punk Cat.

Some additional information

On April 11, Volkswagen’s electric version of the famous Passat was revealed in China. The ID.7 will have a 150 kW single motor, 700 km range, NMC ternary 77 kWh battery, and will be assembled by FAW-Volkwagen joint venture’s plant in Guangdong.

In China, every car must be approved by the local regulator before going on the market. The regulator body sits under the Chinese Ministry of Information and Technology (MIIT), and every month they publish the list of the cars that went through the homologation process.

The ID.7 dimensions are 4956mm, 1862mm, and 1537mm, with a wheelbase of 2965mm. The car has an augmented reality HUD (head-up display), which projects some dashboard information on the windshield. The curb weight is 2122 kg, offering two wheel options – 235/55 R18 and 235/50 R19. The maximum speed with the 201 hp motor is 155 km/h.

ID7 officially revealed with 382 miles (615 km) of range and a rear hatch

vw-id.7-2023.jpg

vw-id.7-2023.jpg

vw-id.7-2023.jpg

vw-id.7-2023.jpg

vw-id.7-2023.jpg

vw-id.7-2023.jpg

The Volkswagen ID.7 debuts as the brand's new flagship electric sedan. It arrives in Europe and China this fall and comes to North America in 2024.

The ID.7 is available in two trims: Pro and Pro S. Both have an electric motor making 282 horsepower (210 kilowatts). The Pro comes with a battery that has an 82.0-kilowatt-hour gross rating (77.0-kWh net) that provides an estimated WLTP-cycle range of 382 miles (615 kilometers). The system supports 170-kW DC charging.

The Pro S gets a pack with a 91.0-kWh gross capacity (86.0-kWh net) that offers an estimated 435 miles (700 km) of driving distance. The DC charging capacity is 200 kW.

VW will build the ID.7 for the European and North American markets at its Emden plant in Germany. Production will begin in the second half of the year. No pricing details are available for any region.

While it looks super generic in its current form, I reckon a wagon version would be far more attractive if it retains the profile of the Space Vizzion:
electric_cars-id_space_vizzion-gallery_01-back_view-2_1-1920x960

The proportions feel really weird. The beltline is weirdly high

Wired somehow got to drive it already. They say a fastback version is coming within the next year

WIRED drove a preproduction standard 77-kWh Pro variant of the ID.7 at a press launch hosted by VW in Alicante, Spain, and we averaged 3.4 miles per kilowatt-hour over a variety of faster mountain roads and fiddly town roads, for a real-world range of 262 miles—not amazing, but also not terrible given the twisty route.

[...]
Refinement is excellent, with barely any motor whine even at low speeds, and only a subtle, momentary thrum of augmented noise if you ask for everything from that electric motor. There’s vigor to that performance from the new motor, too, albeit in a far more moderate way than your average Tesla. It still feels fizzy enough to see off a cheeky overtake or quick-merge into fast-moving traffic, even if the ID.7 never seems like a car that’s trying to entertain the driver.

Rather, the whole car is focused on soothing your brow, and that shows in the assured but disengaged handling, as well as the comfy-if-wallowing ride control. My test car had optional adaptive dynamic chassis control and 20-inch alloy wheels, which sponged up cracked and rutted road surfaces, but you can't help niticing heavy body movement when you corner or brake hard.

Oddly, there are no clever, flexible brake regen modes in the ID.7 either—you can choose a heavier ‘B’ mode by tweaking the drive selector on the steering column, or in standard D mode it’s just a mild, easily ignored adaptive system.

[...]

Rear passengers in the ID.7 get vast amounts of space, a couple of USB-C charging points, and climate control as standard for the full limo-like experience. The trunk's big, too, with 532 liters, a sizeable hatchback opening, and some useful underfloor storage where you can chuck your cables. No frunk, though, and that raked roofline means it’s a fairly shallow trunk space. If that sounds like a deal breaker, there’s a fastback version of the ID.7 due within the next year.

In Shanghai, VW also revealed the ID.Next concept, which appears to be a smaller version of the ID7

autohomecar__CjIFVWQ9QcqANnEOAECb3xNBgQo993.jpg

4830ecb2gy1hd346kj2abj22so1knnpd-800x416.jpg

4830ecb2gy1hd346rqee7j22so1kn1l0-800x416.jpg

On April 17, Volkswagen held an ID. Brand Night at Shanghai Auto Show in China. Among showed cars shined the ID.Next concept car, which no one expected. Volkswagen’s joint venture with SAIC will manufacture the new EV sedan.

Not many details were revealed about the ID.Next, but judging from the pictures, it looks like a sister model of ID.7 Vizzion.

The article sheds some light on their market situation in China

But times are changing, VW is losing market share, and their EVs don’t sell as expected. ID. series missed its sales target to sell 80,000 – 100,000 EVs in 2021 and reached 70k deliveries. In 2022 they set a goal to double its sales to 140k, which they fulfilled, but in the fast-moving Chinese market, even that might not be enough.

VW is now the underdog in China and needs to compete with EV startups you probably never heard of. For example, Neta sold over 150k vehicles in 2022, and GAC Aion sold over 270k EVs in 2022. Not to mention the EV startups you hear of, like Nio or Xpeng, which both sold over 120k EVs in 2022, but the average car price is higher then ID. (in the case of Nio, significantly higher).

The launch of ID.3 in China brought a change, as it is manufactured only by SAIC. The new model ID.7 Vizzion was announced only for FAW – and now ID.Next will be manufactured by SAIC. It seems the simultaneous launch with both JV is the past, and VW will do a zig-zag strategy.

In March, FAW-made ID.4 Buzz price was slashed by 19% to 174,900 yuan (25,000 USD). SAIC responded by offering a 30,000 yuan (4,400 USD) discount on all of its ID. cars, including ID.3, which now costs 132,888 yuan (19,300 USD). The price war in China is bloody, and many automakers don’t think about profit anymore, only to survive until the situation stabilizes.

In January, VW CEO Oliver Blume claimed that VW would not participate in the price war and won’t react to other EV makers’ price cuts. “We want to become a global leader in EVs through profitable growth and not a price war with Tesla,” said Blume.

I'd like to see front row center consoles disappear. Make it a pass through like minivans and place armrests on the chairs.
2021-Honda-Odyssey-interior.jpg

LWB ID Buzz, will come to the US

The all-electric minivan offers room for up to seven people and a large luggage compartment thanks to a 9.8-inch (250-millimeter) longer wheelbase compared to the standard model. The ID. Buzz LWB has a generous wheelbase of 127.5 in (3,239 mm) and a total length of 195.3 in (4,962 mm).

The almost 10 inches of additional wheelbase are distributed between the sliding doors, which have been widened by 7.5 in (192 mm), and the 2.3-in (580-mm) longer areas between the C-pillars and the rear wheels.

From a styling perspective, the ID. Buzz LWB looks pretty much the same as the standard wheelbase model, although the longer wheelbase improves the proportions – at least to this pair of eyes. The width and height remain unchanged at 78.1 in (1,985 mm) – without exterior mirrors – and 75.8 in (1,927 mm), respectively.

The drag coefficient is 0.29, and Volkswagen says this is a "very good" value for a minivan. A new exterior feature – but only in North America – is the illuminated Volkswagen logo on the front.

the VW ID. Buzz LWB will be available with two battery sizes: an 82-kWh (77 kWh usable) pack and a new 91-kWh (85 kWh usable) battery. The automaker didn't reveal range estimates but said the new APP550 rear-axle drive unit will also be offered in the ID. Buzz.

Delivering 210 kilowatts (282 horsepower) and 413 pound-feet (560 Newton-meters) of torque to the rear wheels, the new drive unit increases the top speed to 100 miles per hour (160 kilometers per hour) and reduces the 0 to 62 mph (100 kph) time to 7.9 seconds. If that's not quick enough, the GTX all-wheel-drive version will debut later in 2024 with 250 kW (335 hp) and a 0-62 mph time of 6.4 seconds.

The VW ID. Buzz LWB will also bring faster DC fast charging capacity of up to 200 kW, allowing the large battery to charge from 10 to 80 percent in just 25 minutes. A new thermal management system enables battery preconditioning while a new heat pump will increase efficiency in winter.

Volkswagen will start US deliveries of the ID. Buzz LWB in 2024, and will ship it from its plant in Hanover, Germany. US pricing and specifications, including range estimates, will be announced closer to launch.

2024-volkswagen-id.-buzz-lwb-exterior-charging.jpg

volkswagen-id.-buzz-lwb-2023.jpg

2024-volkswagen-id.-buzz-lwb-studio-shots.jpg

VW took their sweet time with this thing, and I think it will land at a tough time in the US market, considering its expected price. US consumers always surprise me with the ruinous amount of debt they are willing to take on for basically no good reason, but a $60K+ minivan with 7%+ interest rates seems like it will be a hard sell after the "I have to have it" sales* are exhausted.

*I should note that the I have to have it sales could be quite large with this car, its definitely a standout product with a ton of intrinsic nostalgia.

Last edited:
VW took their sweet time with this thing, and I think it will land at a tough time in the US market, considering its expected price. US consumers always surprise me with the ruinous amount of debt they are willing to take on for basically no good reason, but a $60K+ minivan with 7%+ interest rates seems like it will be a hard sell after the "I have to have it" sales* are exhausted.

*I should note that the I have to have it sales could be quite large with this car, its definitely a standout product with a ton of intrinsic nostalgia.
It's also possible that the type CUV/SUV buyers who would benefit from a minivan but absolutely will not buy one because they perceive them as too uncool and mom-ish, which is a fairly large base, will warm up to the ID Buzz. Both it's actual fit and finish and the nostalgia factor will give it much more character and swagger than a Pacifica or Odyssey for example.

Last edited:
It's also possible that traditional CUV/SUV who absolutely will not buy a minivan because they perceive them as too uncool and mom-ish will warm up to the ID Buzz. Both it's actual fit and finish and the nostalgia factor will give it much more character and swagger than a Pacifica or Odyssey for example.
It's plausible but I'm not convinced. There will be absolutely people lined up to buy one, we'll just have to see how long that line is. One thing is for certain...millenials are having kids en-masse right now. You can only lie to yourself for so long before you realize that, no, a 3-row SUV, is not as good as a van for hauling people. When you do reach that point you have succumbed to practicality. Do you then do some parallel (or maybe orthogonal?) mental gymnastics and opt for the very expensive electric van while simultaneously giving in to practical demands? There is evidence that van sales are trending up, but will that carry the IDbuzz which sacrifices practicality for image? I could see it go either way. As a life-long fan of 1-box designs, I'm looking forward to seeing them...I can say that for sure.

It's plausible but I'm not convinced. There will be absolutely people lined up to buy one, we'll just have to see how long that line is. One thing is for certain...millenials are having kids en-masse right now. You can only lie to yourself for so long before you realize that, no, a 3-row SUV, is not as good as a van for hauling people. When you do reach that point you have succumbed to practicality. Do you then do some parallel (or maybe orthogonal?) mental gymnastics and opt for the very expensive electric van while simultaneously giving in to practical demands? There is evidence that van sales are trending up, but will that carry the IDbuzz which sacrifices practicality for image? I could see it go either way. As a life-long fan of 1-box designs, I'm looking forward to seeing them...I can say that for sure.
I don't live by the ocean, I live in Ohio, and I'm sure one of the biggest factors driving CUV sales here is AWD availability over any sort of practicality. Cars that don't offer AWD simply don't sell anymore. The only reason 2wd EVs sell is because the AWD model is always prohibitively expensive.

But I still don't see this van doing all that great with the traditional family crowd mostly because I can't fathom VW making a better minivan than the traditional players. This may go to more affluent families but I actually think this will sell more with the lifestyle crowd who does light exploring and camping. Couples with no kids using the space for themselves. If VW released a lifted AWD version with decent-sized tires I honestly think it would steal away more Subaru customers and become a very cool vehicle. Something like this would actually be an excellent replacement for my Sequoia...if only it could go off-road and tow a boat.

Even though it is not saying much, the ID.7 wagon is set to be the best looking model in the ID lineup to date.

Even though it is not saying much, the ID.7 wagon is set to be the best looking model in the ID lineup to date.
Because it's quite conventional looking for an electric. Compared to all the other IDs in the range, the ID.7 wagon could just be a regular petrol/diesel VW as if electrification had never happened.

Because it's quite conventional looking for an electric. Compared to all the other IDs in the range, the ID.7 wagon could just be a regular petrol/diesel VW as if electrification had never happened.
It’s like the car is smiling as if dieselgate never happened.

How has this slipped through the cracks? The GTI version of VW's ID.2 concept was unveiled yesterday. Looks good, looks like a Golf. Two hundred and fifty miles of range is simply not enough for the US market and it never will be.

Looks really good from the rear, very traditional Golf. Good job VW, that makes two of your ten ID cars that actually look like Volkswagens and not Kias.

ID_GTI_Concept_Exterior_Pictures-37-copy.jpg

ID.X Performance Concept

A sportier version of the ID.7

1694217357523.png

1694217364374.png

In terms of performance, the ID.X concept uses the ubiquitous MEB architecture that underpins nearly all modern VW EVs, with two electric motors giving it a total output of 550 horsepower (411 kilowatts). And just like the ID.7, the ID.X Performance concept has a DC fast charging capacity of 200 kilowatts.

Of course, there's no confirmation that this concept will ever make it to production, but VW has already confirmed (and teased) a hotter ID.7 GTX with aggressive accents, improved aerodynamics, and hopefully more power. The ID.X Performance concept, meanwhile, will be on display at the international ID. Treffen show, which takes place in Locarno, Switzerland, until September 9.

I've never been much of a fan of electric cars but eventually there will be a time when I'll have to buy one too if I'm going to live for another 40 years or so, and now that's a model I can set my sights on. It took this long for someone to realize that what has been missing is a big, otherwise completely normal and boring, estate that just happens to be electric. No crazy amounts of power, no outlandish LOOK AT ME I'M ELECTRIC looks, indeed just a Passat without an ICE.

Back