Volkswagen Vision Gran Turismo Futuristic car Study

No need to look grumpy, it's nothing original.
It was actually my GTP VGT proposal, I had the specs drawn out around a year ago and they were PM'd around. Mine looks better though. :P

This is actually one of the coolest ideas in VGT so far. A drone car, now that's original (at least for a racing game). With no need to fit a driver inside (and no need for safety features for said driver), of course we would get a very unique shape. Just imagine how much weight you save too, when you don't need steering wheels, additional windows, air vents, seats or a roll cage.

Dare I say the future of the racing motorsport? I hate to say it but motorsports isn't exactly the #1 sport to watch and get involved with in the USA.

Without the driver the speeds and designs of the racing machines could be taken to another level. Now of course purists would be upset with the lack of a driver behind the wheel, but I can imagine the speed in which these future racers would travel in would be quite the sight to behold.

I won't live to see to see some cool innovations in the motorsports arena, but it's not hard to imagine racecars 50 years from now looking similar to what is proposed by those students in this VW Concept.

Now the next problem will be latency, and the reliability of radio transmissions between the car and the drivers. I'm not sure how much the speeds could increase though. There's still the safety of the spectators to keep in mind, assuming they still want to watch it live and relatively close to the action.

The cars should probably be fitted with an emergency autopilot feature that safely parks the car outside of the track surface.

Very interesting indeed. However I have to say I'm surprised to see they have chosen an F117 Nighthawk stealth bomber as an inspiration to low drag, "extremely aerodynamic vehicle" which among skunk works employees was known as a hopeless diamond due to its shape and maneuverability. To me it sounds like a lot of gibberish and throwing cool sounding words to bring people's attention.

BTW, here you can drive it in your browser -->

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10631189/VW Infinite Version Web/VW Infinite Version Web.html

Top speed is about 650km/h

I reached 740 km/h!

It goes much faster. I fell off the map and this happened :lol:

AIP4gSb.png

Being a Unity project this has an interesting depth to it, air tempature rises the further you fall into earth. It also has a basic fuel system (xenon and battery that slowly deplete, although once empty just continue counting negative).

I like how posters here still react to this as if it's an actual VW.

Eeew VW... That thing is way too futuristic and ugly to be anything. This VGT thing is getting out of hand... >_>

And here's another post that 'fell' for it. If you're going to answer this thread, please, bother to read the first posts, or the article linked in the OP, or use common sense.

And here's another post that 'fell' for it. If you're going to answer this thread, please, bother to read the first posts, or the article linked in the OP, or use common sense.
No need to be "Mr. Smarty Sour Pants"... It looks like I've learned something after reading this.

I don't think it is the "vw2" car, not this one at least. Unless Volkswagen knows something we don't, this project isn't entirely official. It's a study from a designer for a possible VW VGT, but it is not officialy tied to the VGT project...

It was answered several times in this thread already and the blog post the OP links to also makes it fairly clear. Sure, if you just look at the title and pictures in the OP it's misleading, but it gets annoying to have the same first reaction posted for the 10th time instead of a discussion of the project. I literally mentioned it directly above your post.

Now that I have played the web game, it's actually pretty fun. The sense of speed is almost nonexistent though and and G-force meter seems to be too low for the cornering speeds :boggled:

Am i the only one that's seeing ever-so slight hints of Karmann Ghia, in the wheel arches?

I think i prefer it to that RC car floating thing, on the first page.

Back