Volvo 240 Thoughts? (A Family Car Search Thread, Bought a Sentra)

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 155 comments
  • 8,797 views
Nearly every one of these are completely subjective. More fun? Not generic? Collectible? Uh...

You have just two up there that have any legitimacy -- RWD (the OP lives in MICHIGAN by the way) and cheaper, which we've all agreed is debatable considering how much those old Volvos sell for.

I was mainly posting those for myself. For some people (including myself) the even mention of a Camry sending boringness through our blood. Honestly, the Camry has to be the most boring saloon car ever--minus a Rover maybe.
 
Not everyone needs an exciting car in their life, actually I believe most people don't. That's why the Camry still sells so well to this day.
 
The Camry sells well because its fuel efficiant, comfortable and it completely dislocates the driver from the act of driving. You "veg out" in a Camry, while you drive an Accord or Maxima.
 
And that's probably what most people want out of a car, at least here in America. You don't have to be a driving superstar with it and it's a good, solid mode of transportation.
 
I am for the Volvo. Firmly. Save your brother from being just another uninvolved, on-the-phone-drinking-coffee American driver. Make sure he gets a manual. I think the typical American automatic driver just doesn't understand the glaring differences between the two transmissions...mostly that a stick makes eating virtually impossible without having both your hands off the steering wheel for a potentially catastrophic amount of time.

Believe me, I've done it.
 
Eating + driving a manual = fun fun fun. I can do it. :D I've also learned how to drive a stick with my left hand. :lol: Right hand on GF left hand on gearstick and knee on steering wheel. :D
 
Not everyone needs an exciting car in their life, actually I believe most people don't. That's why the Camry still sells so well to this day.

Finally, someone removes their auto enthusiast hat and says it! Thanks Joey!
 
Not everyone needs an exciting car in their life, actually I believe most people don't. That's why the Camry still sells so well to this day.
Finally, someone removes their auto enthusiast hat and says it! Thanks Joey!
I don't really think this needed to be said. Everyone knows the Camry is a good car, and that it's perfect for the non-enthusiast.

What some people don't know is that the older ones are fairly light on their feet. A friend of mine had an '88, and though it certainly wasn't a sport compact, its ~2700 lbs. curb weight made it easier to toss around than any newer midsize car (which of course has moved up in size over 20 years). With a five-speed manual and the spirit of a faithful puppy, that car was fun to drive.

However, M5Power is suggesting a '97. If YSSMAN were asking about an Alfa Milano, the Camry would be the logical choice, but the Volvo is just as much of a solid form of transport as the Camry. Why not take the one that puts a smile on your face when you get behind the wheel?
 
JCE
The Camry sells well because its fuel efficiant, comfortable and it completely dislocates the driver from the act of driving. You "veg out" in a Camry, while you drive an Accord or Maxima.

And that's probably what most people want out of a car, at least here in America. You don't have to be a driving superstar with it and it's a good, solid mode of transportation.

And somehow we end up with a large number of the population that can't drive if their life depended on it. Lots of incompetent morons behind the wheel with no idea of how to do anything other than drive straight and c r a w l around corners.

And unfortunately, it's what all too big a number of Canadians want out of their vehicles, too.
 
Not everyone needs an exciting car in their life, actually I believe most people don't. That's why the Camry still sells so well to this day.

But people on this forum do mostly want an exciting car in their life, or even just an interesting one. I reckon if you created a poll asking "is the Camry interesting" or a poll with the Camry against all it's rivals old and new, I doubt you'd see a "yes" in the former or many votes for it in the latter. America as a whole loves the Camry, but I suspect car enthusiasts as a whole don't.

JCE
Honestly, the Camry has to be the most boring saloon car ever--minus a Rover maybe.

At least Rovers have character. Even rubbish ones. Good ones like the SD1 V8 or the 75 are waaaay more interesting than any Camry.
 
Just because you are an auto enthusiast doesn't mean you want or need a car like that.I consider myself an auto enthusiast but I don't really drive an all out driver's car. I also enjoy the new Camry, which I test drove during my search for a car. My only compliant was the price. I think most of the people on this forum are way to blinded by the fact that not everyone who owns a car is a motoring enthusiast, or even know what a motoring enthusiast is for that matter....if you think you can describe a motoring enthusiast then go for it but I promise just about everyone's definition will be different, which is my point here.

I don't know much about Volvo's, especially old ones, but I do know a Camry is an extremely reliable form of transportation. I'm not saying one car is better or worse then another, although I do think a newer car will hold up better then an older car especially coming from Michigan. Our weather and road conditions are far from car friendly.
 
Last edited:
Just because you are an auto enthusiast doesn't mean you want or need a car like that.I consider myself an auto enthusiast but I don't really drive an all out driver's car.

To be fair though you have a car that's both interesting and great to drive - there aren't many more cars in that class suited to a car enthusiast, certainly in the US.

I think most of the people on this forum are way to blinded by the fact that not everyone who owns a car is a motoring enthusiast, or even know what a motoring enthusiast is for that matter....if you think you can describe a motoring enthusiast then go for it but I promise just about everyone's definition will be different, which is my point here.

I'd agree with you that not everyone who owns a car is a motoring enthusiast (in fact, the quantity of utterly crap cars on the roads or cars with no redeeming features or reason to buy over their competition is testament to that) and that many people simply require something to get from A to B.

I'd suggest a motoring enthusiast is someone who has a general interest in motoring. I'm sure it's more than possible to like a Camry, but I'd argue that it's hard to get enthusiastic about. Someone with a passion for cars is unlikely to be genuinely interested in a bread-and-butter car like a Camry.

You may wish to recommend the Camry to someone over the Volvo, but would you go as far as saying it's the more interesting car? Is the Camry the sort of car you'd take out for a drive simply for the pleasure?...
 
To be fair though you have a car that's both interesting and great to drive - there aren't many more cars in that class suited to a car enthusiast, certainly in the US.

Except it's the base model, if I really wanted to be more involved in the driving I would have popped for the S or even a JCW. My car is loads of fun for me but based on the general attitude of some on these boards they would hate it because it is FWD and an auto.

You may wish to recommend the Camry to someone over the Volvo, but would you go as far as saying it's the more interesting car? Is the Camry the sort of car you'd take out for a drive simply for the pleasure?...

I'm not claiming the Camry to be an interest car, all I'm saying is that it's a good, solid mode of transportation. Nothing more, nothing less. I happened to like the new one when I drove it but that's because I don't mind cars like that. Remember this is for Brad's brother who we don't know. All the thread said was he was looking for reliable and solid transportation, which the Camry has in spades.

Based on the logic of this thread and many of the posters in it, Brad's brother is not a motoring enthusiast nor really cares to much about the drive consider he owned a Camry prior to his run it with a deer. Why should we be suggesting that he needs something else?

There are probably better choices, at least in Michigan, then a Camry. A domestic would be a far better choice since there would be more to choose from in a wider array of conditions and miles.
 
Except it's the base model, if I really wanted to be more involved in the driving I would have popped for the S or even a JCW. My car is loads of fun for me but based on the general attitude of some on these boards they would hate it because it is FWD and an auto.

Well yes, but we all know there's a word for people like that :sly: In my opinion at least, that it's FWD and auto matters not, because it's still a better car than a vast majority of those on the roads.

I'm not claiming the Camry to be an interest car, all I'm saying is that it's a good, solid mode of transportation. Nothing more, nothing less. I happened to like the new one when I drove it but that's because I don't mind cars like that. Remember this is for Brad's brother who we don't know. All the thread said was he was looking for reliable and solid transportation, which the Camry has in spades.

Based on the logic of this thread and many of the posters in it, Brad's brother is not a motoring enthusiast nor really cares to much about the drive consider he owned a Camry prior to his run it with a deer. Why should we be suggesting that he needs something else?

True, he may not be a motoring enthusiast, but then the question was being posed to people who are, so it's natural that the car suggested would be the more interesting option. Effectively we're all saying it's the car we'd have of the two, but at the same time it seems to share many of the necessary qualities his brother wants, like reliability and solidity.
 
The problem is that we're still waiting on the insurance company to figure out what they want to do. It being Thanksgiving week, you know they're dragging their ass on it...
 
Current Camry V6 does 0-60 quicker than the Lamborghni Miura -- under 6 seconds. Think about it gents.
 
Current Camry V6 does 0-60 quicker than the Lamborghni Miura -- under 6 seconds. Think about it gents.
I've thought about it, and I've made my decision. The Lamborghini Miura is slow.

Whereas new Camrys are in the shop and average of twice a year for warranty fixes, Volvo never even offered a warranty with the 240 because they knew it was built like a tank and would never fail.

That's what I heard.
 
Current Camry V6 does 0-60 quicker than the Lamborghni Miura -- under 6 seconds. Think about it gents.

Nobody really cares...
 
Volvo never even offered a warranty with the 240 because they knew it was built like a tank and would never fail.

If that was the case then they would have given the cars a lifetime warranty.
 
That's what I heard.

I've also heard that the personal vehicle of choice for Jesus would presumably be the Volvo 240.

Again... Something that I've heard.
 
Last edited:
I've thought about it, and I've made my decision. The Lamborghini Miura is slow.

I don't disagree.

I went to Tail of the Dragon on Super Bowl Sunday and saw TWO other cars taking it hard: a Pontiac GTO, and a Toyota Camry SE. Think about it gents.
 
Current Camry V6 does 0-60 quicker than the Lamborghni Miura -- under 6 seconds. Think about it gents.

Big deal? Most hot hatches today are as quick as supercars of the 70s and my base-model Fiesta would give many 60s British sports cars like the MGA/Midget, Sprite, Triumph Spitfire etc a run for their money. What relevance does that have at all?
 
Acceleration suddenly isn't as fun when the car has bucketloads of carpets, plastic, isolation, mats and whatnot... I bet it doesn't feel half as fast as a stripped out car doing 0-60 in 10 secs.
 
I don't disagree.

I went to Tail of the Dragon on Super Bowl Sunday and saw TWO other cars taking it hard: a Pontiac GTO, and a Toyota Camry SE. Think about it gents.
Taking it hard, as defined by a Tiptronic driver. They weren't necessarily going fast; just faster than you.
 
Taking it hard doesn't necessarily equal extreme fun...
 
Motor Trend called the Camry Car of the Year in '07. That takes into account performance. Think about it, gents.
 
Motor Trend called the Camry Car of the Year in '07. That takes into account performance. Think about it, gents.

They also called the Taurus COTY in 1986.
 
Motor Trend called the Camry Car of the Year in '07. That takes into account performance. Think about it, gents.
Motor Trend is the NBC of car magazines.
 
Motor Trend called the Camry Car of the Year in '07. That takes into account performance. Think about it, gents.

I've thought about it...

Motor Trend must be idiots.

Their magazine has been a farce for years.
 
Back