VOTE! GTP Best Car IV: UK

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 47 comments
  • 3,914 views

Best Car IV The United Kingdom


  • Total voters
    80
  • Poll closed .

YSSMAN

Super-Cool Since 2013
Premium
Messages
21,286
United States
GR-MI-USA
Messages
YSSMAN
Messages
YSSMAN
GTP Best Car IV: The United Kingdom VOTE!

800px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png

Your nominations have been counted, and here are the vehicles to choose from:

Ariel Atom 3


Aston Martin Virage


Bentley Mulsane


Jaguar XF Diesel


Jaguar XKR-S


Land Rover Range Rover


Lotus Elise Club Racer


Rolls-Royce Phantom


[Edit: Added Wikipedia links for each vehicle]
 
Last edited:
The Roller. :D
 
I'm sticking with the Mulsane. I love the old-school British vibe the car has, it is still one of the best motor vehicles money can buy. Although, I would whole-heartedly support the success of the Jaguar XFR-S and Lotus Elise.
 
My vote goes to the rolls, I like the Jag XF but just not the diesel one. Don't get me wrong, I like diesel cars, just not that one.
 
Backed up my nomination with a vote for the 'Royce.

Aston and the Ariel would be my other two choices, one is very sexy, the other is very fast, but neither of the are quite as British as the Rolls-Royce.



.. and yes I realise the Rolls isn't the exactly British to the bone!
 
The Phantom has my vote.

Because it is the most prestigious car in the world. Speed, power, styling or price, none of these attributes are capable of adding the amount of prestige the Roller naturally sports, and for that this is the best car in Britain to me.
 
The Phantom has my vote.

Because it is the most prestigious car in the world. Speed, power, styling or price, none of these attributes are capable of adding the amount of prestige the Roller naturally sports, and for that this is the best car in Britain to me.

My problem with the Roller is it isn't particularly British. The Mulsanne however has everything right.

Hell, it's got proper British brute force under the hood, the Phantom uses a lowly BMW V12.
 
Yep, but that goes exactly into my point, speed and power doesn't matter in cars of this class. They should be just as quick as they need to be, and 500bhp is enough to move the Phantom around in a reasonably quick way.

I'd much rather have the Rolls heritage than the Bentley's muscularity.
 
Rolls Royce. Last luxury car to remember that we don't really care about 10 different settings for our license plate illuminating light.
 
Only one of the above cars is entirely designed and built in Britain with British funding. The only non-British part of it is the engine - and some of the models use British engines instead.

Funny world.
 
Disregard this post... Just read the nominations part
 
Yep, but that goes exactly into my point, speed and power doesn't matter in cars of this class. They should be just as quick as they need to be, and 500bhp is enough to move the Phantom around in a reasonably quick way.

I'd much rather have the Rolls heritage than the Bentley's muscularity.

You miss my point.

The Bentley has a (heavily redesigned) Rolls-Royce engine.

The Rolls-Royce has a BMW engine. And everything else.

The Bentley is far more proper.
 
You miss my point.

The Bentley has a (heavily redesigned) Rolls-Royce engine.

The Rolls-Royce has a BMW engine. And everything else.

The Bentley is far more proper.

BMW 11-series for the win! ;)

Seriously though, Rolls Royce is as much a British car manufacturer as Bentley is.. and from what I've read the Bentley isn't quite as good at being the ultimate luxury car as the Phantom is.

.. also, IMO the Mulsanne really has both a truly ugly clown face, and a body styled from Liposuction clinic waste material, but that's my own opinion. The Phantom, though not exactly 'pretty', at least hides it's size with some tight, clean lines. The continental GT is quite a good looking car, but they should have taken a different direction for the Mulsanne. Just my opinion of course.
 
Well... My vote goes to the Atom 3. Why? Because it's impractical, beecause it's not particular beatufilul, because it doesn't even have a roof, let alone a boot,
It's got that adorable sense of lunacy about it, moreso than even the Lotus.

I'd love to pull up to work in one of them, in a suit and a tie and see everyone giving me strange looks :lol:
What can I say, I'm a sucker for cars like the Arial.
 
I went with the Diesel Jag. For the worldwide market it's designed incredible well on all fronts possible. Pretty simple choice for me.
 
I went for the XKR-S. Cause its a Jaaaaag.
 
None of these models are actually bringing that much to 2011. They're all near the end of their respective lifecycles and are just a few tweaks away from when they were launched a number of years ago. The Aston is the only one that has any form of significant changes over its predecessor, just enough to be considered a new model. Some are entirely unchanged for this year and the others are just getting minor changes since the last time we voted this.

Except the Mulsanne. Quintessentially Bentley on all fronts. It gets my vote.
 
The continental GT is quite a good looking car, but they should have taken a different direction for the Mulsanne. Just my opinion of course.

Considering that the car was a follow-up to the Arnage, et. al... What exactly were you expecting?
 
You miss my point.

The Bentley has a (heavily redesigned by VAG) Rolls-Royce engine.

The Rolls-Royce has a BMW engine. And everything else.

The Bentley is a Volkswagen.

Fixed.

Seriously, if we go through all the trouble of discussing how much British-made or engineered a car actually is, the argumentation would be endless as both are German at the end of the day. Which is why I steered the discussion towards the engine capabilities of each car and how much they fit into the ethos of both cars, not their origin per se.
 
XKR-S > all others. The ones voting for the diesel Jag must've missed this one. :p
 
The XF is almost as agile as the XK, has more luxury, and has a diesel that'll keep it at autobahn speeds for hours on end or provide 40 mpg.

It's a phenomenal drive. We tested one last year. Accelerates, slaloms and stops almost as well as a sportscar, yet remains luxurious and unflustered doing such ungentlemanly things. And it may be getting old, but I'll never get tired of the airconditioning vents and transmission dial popping out of the dash when you start the car.

It's also understated, not like the "I'm so hardcore I'm covered in body-piercings" XKR-S... which is a very un-Jag-like attitude... I'm even beginning to like the dual cocked-eyebrows on the thing...

Not Atom: Getting old. Not as old as a Caterham (not by a longshot), but show us something new, please.

Not Rolls or Bentley: Not very British...

Not Rover because... well... I can't think of a good reason. The Sport now comes with a diesel V8, which sounds just as awesome as it sounds.

Not Aston because: I honestly can't tell which one that is, from the picture. :lol: Yes, by God, your design language works... but a design language should be a language, not just the exact same design photocopied from car to car...
 
Considering that the car was a follow-up to the Arnage, et. al... What exactly were you expecting?

Something that looks like it's worth the money and not styled by a child. Bentley could have taken all the same design cues and still managed to come up with a better executed design than the Mulsanne, IMO.
 
Elise fanboy says: Elise
 
It's also understated, not like the "I'm so hardcore I'm covered in body-piercings" XKR-S... which is a very un-Jag-like attitude... I'm even beginning to like the dual cocked-eyebrows on the thing...

I find this to be a huge plus in the favor of the XF. The XK is really cool and all, but in the global marketplace, the XF makes such a huge case for itself and stands out as being incredible at everything!
 
Seriously, if we go through all the trouble of discussing how much British-made or engineered a car actually is, the argumentation would be endless as both are German at the end of the day.

Which is why the Atom wins, as it's the only actually British car there.
 
Famine
Which is why the Atom wins, as it's the only actually British car there.

With an (albeit awesome) engine designed and built in Japan!

Are there any all British marquees left in the motor industry?
 
I'm pretty positive no car here is, from the ground up, entirely British. They will all have components and sub-assemblies that come in from abroad, it just depends where you want to draw the line - It's a technicality. Surely if it's a British company that's all that counts?
 
If that is the case, unless a company manufactures all components in house ( down to the bolts etc) or chooses suppliers from only their own country, any car can not be deemed entirely from that country!
Can of worms opened :lol:

I think if it is designed and manufactured in the UK by a UK company it can be classed as a UK car, regardless of majority share holder/ parent company! Other wise we will be here all day!
 
With an (albeit awesome) engine designed and built in Japan!

The model I nominated does, yes, but there are still Rover K-series engines available for the car and, if you have a spare £150,000, you can buy one with Ariel's own V8.
 
Famine
The model I nominated does, yes, but there are still Rover K-series engines available for the car and, if you have a spare £150,000, you can buy one with Ariel's own V8.

Good point, but would you choose the rover k series or the Honda k- series though?
 
Back