VR Thread

• Thread starter crowhop
  • 153 comments
BigScreen (beta) is absolutely worth a try. Sitting in the (virtual) big cinema and then projecting Youtube full screen a (e.g.) Pink Floyd,Metallica, IronMaiden concert. Closest to attending a real concert.

BigScreen (beta) is absolutely worth a try. Sitting in the (virtual) big cinema and then projecting Youtube full screen a (e.g.) Pink Floyd,Metallica, IronMaiden concert. Closest to attending a real concert.

Yep, and it has "multiplayer" so you can be sitting in the theater with a buddy and chatting it up while you watch the concert/movie/race. The new Oculus Home has a virtual desktop built into it now which is fantastic and you can access it at any time even while in game, but I don't believe it has the cool theater environments that BigScreen does.

I got a HTC Vive for Xmas from my loving wife.
After 2 weeks of fiddling with settings and supersamping I've got it at a place that I'm happy with.
VR makes such a huge difference! I can't explain it, you have to experience it.
I went back to my triple screens yesterday and I just can't race like that anymore. VR has changed simracing for me completely.
I run with the HUD off and use voice to get info from crew chief. It's the most immersive experience I've ever had.

After 2 weeks of fiddling with settings and supersamping I've got it at a place that I'm happy with.
I went back to my triple screens yesterday and I just can't race like that anymore. VR has changed simracing for me completely.
I run with the HUD off and use voice to get info from crew chief. It's the most immersive experience I've ever had.
Hearing you giggle like a school girl makes the experience enjoyable for everyone.

Try the invitational events. I'm loving those. Especially the ones in open cars. The Porsche 936 manufacturers event at Sonoma is awesome.

I've also been having fun with the Fun Pack invitational events.

I use the setting where the crew chief tells you if there is a car to your left or right and lets you know when you're clear. Is there a way to get info from the crew chief using your voice?

Just be aware that by going with a WMR headset you'll be missing out on the wonderful Oculus library of games and touch controllers which for me are a huge part of the awesome VR experience. I bought the headset specifically for racing since that's the only kind of game I played but it wasn't long before I had a pretty hefty library of awesome shooters and flyers and platformers that are just immensely entertaining. IMO it's not worth saving a few dollars and gaining a few pixels to miss out on those things. Oculus has their hat in the developer ring with their own studio and lots of support for other studios so it's probably going to be the place to be for the best titles and the largest choice of titles. Plus the new Oculus Home/Dash is pretty impressive and really has the potential to change the way you do computing.

It's actually not quite this bad. Most any game on Steam VR that says "occulus" works just fine with WMR headsets. I'm sure though there are things I'm missing out on that I don't yet know about such as any occulus special game store. You are right though that I bought this for racing but have then found out how awesome some of the other vr games really are. It's pretty fantastic.

It's actually not quite this bad. Most any game on Steam VR that says "occulus" works just fine with WMR headsets. I'm sure though there are things I'm missing out on that I don't yet know about such as any occulus special game store. You are right though that I bought this for racing but have then found out how awesome some of the other vr games really are. It's pretty fantastic.
I think he's referring to the Oculus store specific titles like Robo Recall, Lone Echo, etc...

Oh, ok. Yep, can't get those. Oh well, I mostly just spend time in AC and Pcars2. Freaking awesome. I love the invitational open car events too.

I think he's referring to the Oculus store specific titles like Robo Recall, Lone Echo, etc...

^ This. There's loads and loads of great games on the Oculus store, I've only bought a few VR games from Steam, the rest came from the Oculus store.

Yes, but not from the ingame crew chief.
You need this one: http://thecrewchief.org/
I recently (re)installed Chiefcrew especially for PCars2 and Assetto Corsa in combination with VR. This is so much fun. I'm even swearing back to Jim himself. Enabled voice commands with a 'push-to-talk' button on my wheel. My next goal is to articulate better so Jim understands my english babbling :)

Hi all. Just got my gaming pc today and said why not and grabbed the rift too. I was a bit worried about motion sickness but I've done a good 40 minutes and put in close to 20 laps without any effects so super happy.

And as much as I read and watched videos... it truly is awesome to be in the car.

I have a psvr, ps4pro and gtsport. It has convinced me to move onto pc and get an oculus rift. My question is, do you think i will be able to run this game and the other vr compatible race titles with an amd 8320 cpu, 8gb of ram, and a gtx 1060 6gb graphics card?

Last edited:
I'm going to say yes, but that CPU is starting to show it's age. I have one in one of my other systems. When you're using the hyper-threading it is good but single-core performance is not up to snuff anymore. All that being said, you have a very good GPU, I think you will be fine. You may need to lower some settings, mainly CPU taxing settings.

How does everyone deal with sweat if you're looking to do an hour + race ?

I'm going to say yes, but that CPU is starting to show it's age. I have one in one of my other systems. When you're using the hyper-threading it is good but single-core performance is not up to snuff anymore. All that being said, you have a very good GPU, I think you will be fine. You may need to lower some settings, mainly CPU taxing settings.

How does everyone deal with sweat if you're looking to do an hour + race ?
Be in a cool room. Or order some custom face pads or disposable ones.
I have a psvr, ps4pro and gtsport. It has convinced me to move onto pc and get an oculus rift. My question is, do you think i will be able to run this game and the other vr compatible race titles with an amd 8320 cpu, 8gb of ram, and a gtx 1060 6gb graphics card?
Might wanna just upgrade the CPU at some point. Just built my gf a PC with a R3 1200 and a single 8gb stick of ddr4 and a 1060 and it runs the rift just fine, but steamvr doesn't like it for some reason.

Be in a cool room. Or order some custom face pads or disposable ones.

Might wanna just upgrade the CPU at some point. Just built my gf a PC with a R3 1200 and a single 8gb stick of ddr4 and a 1060 and it runs the rift just fine, but steamvr doesn't like it for some reason.
You have to disable steamVR's home, as that's quite heavy on the PC.
Anyway, why one single RAM stick? Ryzen is quite dependant on RAM's bandwidth, so i'd go for as second stick as soon as possible, since your CPU isn't already that good (an R3 1400x would already have been a bit safer for VR)
I run the rift on a 2500k@4,5Ghz and a GTX680 and it can run pCars/AC/rFactor2 with low details/no AA, but not RRE, your CPU might be a little worse than mine, but i think the GPU compensates for it.

Yes you will, no problem. PCArs2, AC and I racing are spectacular in VR.

You have to disable steamVR's home, as that's quite heavy on the PC.
Anyway, why one single RAM stick? Ryzen is quite dependant on RAM's bandwidth, so i'd go for as second stick as soon as possible, since your CPU isn't already that good (an R3 1400x would already have been a bit safer for VR)
It was for the girlfriend. She only needed it to run it for a few days to try it out. It's mostly just streaming video and playing lighter games.

My PC is a 1080ti and a 4790K. Not going to be upgrading for a while. :P

Hey!

I recently got VR (Oculus CV1) and I'm still trying to figure out how to configure it to not have a blurry mess in the long distance.

For close up, and cockpit looks fine, but some info on the hud might look a bit blurry (not bad) but looking at the distance it's pretty hard for me to see what's going on to be honest.

I don't have eyesight problems.

Rig is a 1080TI 16gb ram i5 8600k so it should run pretty decent.

I've also read to try the oculus tray tool but I dont know how to use it properly.

Any info or feedback I'd appreciate it.

Take a look at this post on the official forum, SMS have just (literally in the last hour or so) released a patch which adds a sharpening filter for VR - I haven't had a chance to try it myself yet but it sounds promising.

Note that by default it's set to zero - you will need to set it yourself in the config file to see it working, recommended starting point is to set it to 0.6. All the details are in that post.

Edit - actually, not 100% sure it's live yet but if not, it shouldn't be long.

My experience in VR in other SIM was greatly improved by adjusting to force a negative LOD bias, gave me a very sharp and clear graphic in VR with no impact on FPS. Would be nice to be able to force a negative LOD bias in PCars2

I didn't realize DLC was coming today. It was a nice surprise. Got a bunch of new Porsche invitational events. I loved every one of them.

This game just looks fantastic in VR compared to when I first put on the headset in PC1. I'm often awestruck.

What I like about the invitational events is you get to quickly race in cars and tracks you may otherwise not have tried. The Carrera GT race and the 917 proto are awesome. Love the cockpit in the 917.

Latest Posts

Back