[VRR][B-SPEC] 2016 Straight Talk IndyCar Series Season

  • Thread starter Thread starter Eva
  • 3,331 comments
  • 151,180 views

How should the driver names be?


  • Total voters
    29
  • Poll closed .
OP is now completed and ready for the season. As far as 2017 team reservations go, team principals can only register teams and one driver to that team at the moment. Since the maximum grid size is currently planned on shrinking to 26 in 2017, think wisely on who you bring on your team.
 
Good thing we're a 1 car team. :O We will go to 3 cars though if nobody else goes with the AMR power however. :p 💡
 
First road course test will be at Palm Beach International Raceway on Sunday. Race will be 97 laps. Be ready for some interesting results that will differ greatly from the ovals we've had thus far.
 
Sakura Ishiibashi has revealed that their 2017 line-up isn't expected to be much different than 2016. "We want to have some consistency within our team. We are really wanting to keep Camyron where he is and move Henna to a full time seat in 2017. Camyron is safe with the Sony sponsorship. It's a matter of putting pen to paper. Henna has sponsorship of her own, and we'd be able to wrap a full team around her. Steven is a problematic one. Asides from Pepsi, we don't have a lot going and Pepsi is not sure about pouring more assets into the team yet. Hopefully, we can make contract extentions and get the team rolling strong.
 
Ecurie Ecosse team principal Steven McTavish has confirmed the team's commitment to the 2017 season and has revealed the team is looking to run a second car. Gary Slater confirmed he will be staying with the team as part of the deal.

"We are delighted to say that we will commit to the 2017 season and will be sticking with Audi power as part of our 3 year deal. We will also be looking to run a second car and hope to begin negotiations with interested drivers and other teams soon. Hopefully we can get an experienced driver or look to bring in fresh blood that Gary can share setup information with."
 

David Rossi walked into to the SRF conference room and announced today that SRF is committed to Chevy and is in the running for the factory spot. He also said that now after the announcements in the last few days that 2016 is still very important and nobody knows the true pace for anybody until the Palm Beach race is over."We want to still keep the focus on 2016 we just had to Housekeeping to tell everybody and that's it.''
 
Last edited:
Alright everyone, we have lots to get through so there will be no questions today. We will accept questions at our next release, which we hope to be the reveal of our car.

As a start up team and being single car, the idea of running a 24 race schedule is already a bit daunting, but it is a challenge we accept. 2017 was our hope to begin expanding as a team, using this year to get our technical notebook and race shop filled in for a strong base. However with the schedule expanding to 30 races we may have to push back our expansion plan to be able to cope with the series' plan. The outlook had been a fairly definite expansion to 2 cars and a possible third depending on our success and the sponsorship landscape. Now it would appear that the third car has moved to the position of the second car, but it's still not entirely out of the question.

Sponsorship talks are ended for the moment with the team having signed a deal, but our sponsor have decided to stay quiet about who they are exactly until they decide on the scheme of the car. That is something which they are very picky on and have not allowed any team officials to see any of the designs. They have guaranteed us it will not be inappropriate and is coming along quite well.

For 2017 Standard Motorsports is looking to acquire factory team status, but also very much likes the idea of moving to Nissan because of the utter domination demonstrated in most of the motorsport disciplines that they enter. The team is undecided on who to sign with but talks are indeed in motion. Honda have stayed fairly quiet even though they know the team is looking in a different direction. Honda did offer complete engine support for the '17 Indy 500 no matter the number of entries the team looks to enter.

The team regrets the sponsor is taking so long to complete the livery seeing all the testing the series is doing to gear up for the coming season. We would very much love to participate in these tests to see what we are capable of and hope to have everything ready by the end of the week for announcing and implementation.

Thank you for your time and we will see you at the reveal of our car.
 
Team Presentation schedules announced:


Polaris Motorsports - 09/03/15, 2:00 PM CDST

Standard Motorsports - 09/03/15, 2:30 PM CDST

Bauer RTi Team NZ - 09/04/15, 2:00 PM CDST
 
VRR Newspaper For Thursday, September 3, 2015.
JUPITER, FLORIDA, UNITED STATES--Overnight, haulers for the VRR Straight Talk IndyCar Series teams have been unloaded from cargo planes and moved within the confines of the Palm Beach International Raceway. 29 cars have been notified as present, while only 28 are on the entry list for the test. That extra car is Lucas Larese, who is driving for Polaris Motorsports in the Indianapolis 500 events. The teams have less than two days to get their cars ready for the first Friday practice session.
Swift Autosport released a statement over the airwaves confirming that they would be moving from Audi power to Aston Martin power in 2017. While none of their drivers are confirmed for 2017, the team statement said, "We are delighted to be making a move to Aston Martin powertrains in 2017. It isn't easy making a move like this, especially given Audi's stellar racing record, but we feel this will be for the best of the team."
JUPITER, FLORIDA, UNITED STATES--Audi has brought two different engines to Palm Beach, the standard customer engines and an experimental engine that the three Cherokee Motorsports cars will test over the weekend. Talks of what the engine will be testing haven't been revealed, but a few days ago, Cherokee boss Clayton Hardy said that reliability was a big issue. Keep an eye out for the Cherokee Motorsports cars during this test.
PARMA, ITALY--Dallara's home factory in Italy has gotten in on building DW12 cars for the 2016 VRR Straight Talk IndyCar Series season, making aero kits and cockpit tubs that are sent stateside for assembly with the rest of the chassis. However, what Dallara is most intrigued by has nothing to do with the cars. "For us, the most assuring detail behind the series is their safety crew. VRR has been training their rescue crew for months and they continue that training all the way to the first race (Bristol). This crew flies with the team trailers, they are there 24/7 for the drivers, the spectators, and anyone in harm's way at these races. That is impressive to see." Dallara also sighted VRR's request to use titanium roll bars to prevent the case of crushing roll bars injuring drivers, as well as requests for different tire grip from Firestone as significant measures towards saving and protecting drivers.
 
Press release involving the 2017 engine change will be made later in the day.
 
If anyone hasn't figured it out, the VRR newspaper is published every morning featuring four stories either about VRR in general or stuff the teams and drivers want me to publish. I leave an open slot on every day's report for someone to fill. If it goes without volunteers, I'll fill it in with something else.
 
Sorry guys, trouble has found me again. First the internet, then my Acer's screen suddenly gives up. I will have the presentations done by tomorrow.
 
VRR Newspaper for Friday, September 4, 2015.
MEXICO CITY, FEDERAL DISTRICT, MEXICO--Mexican Communications juggernaut Telcel has the title sponsortship of the VRR IndyCar Series in Straight Talk, as well as principal sponsor in the race at Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez in 2016. Telcel has recently went on record and said that the marketing of the Straight Talk brand has paid dividends internationally, calling the partnership a success. "When going out of your way to sponsor a series like what VRR has, it's always a money game." Telcel CEO Daniel Hajj Aboumrad said, "You want to reach a broad audience, and you want return on investment. VRR has made sure we have done that, and we are not only willing to stay on board, but wanting to stay on board."
JUPITER, FLORIDA, UNITED STATES--Evangeline (Angel) Porter and Stephanie Porter-Kelley are the only siblings in the VRR Straight Talk IndyCar Series, and they've been able to race all over the world, including here in Palm Beach. We sat them together to talk about their first race together here.
"Angel had been racing for about a year. We were racing junior formulas." Stephanie started.
"Steph had about 8 years more experience than I did? She had made it to Formula One and was winning against people like Kino****a and Tyler Branson, Rani Sirkovainen. To me that was a big deal. So for her to race where I was racing, at the time I thought it was unfair, but she made me work so hard. Especially here." Angel continued.
They talked about how in FP1 for that weekend, Stephanie had topped the time sheets with running just one lap, a lap Angel couldn't come close to.
"For me, I was pushing hard as it was just to top my championship competition. I was still getting smoked by Steph, which, to be honest, pissed me off. So I started asking for these small changes everywhere, like a psycho moment of briliance and went out for FP2."
Those changes brought Angel within 2 hundredths of Steph in FP2.
"When I saw Angel's time, I wasn't concerned. I figured she went banzai with the corners and just set a remarkable lap time she couldn't set again."
"My car actually was more stable than before. And it was faster in the corners where it mattered. I didn't push as hard because I didn't know what the car would do. FP3 came and I still wasn't sure. I focused on my race runs instead."
FP3 saw more of the same. Steph P1, Angel P2, and no one within 5 tenths of a second. Qualifying was up next, and rain had rolled into the area. This put the advantage in Angel's court, who had higher downforce.
"Rain was something of the unknown. I knew higher downforce would be helpful, but I didn't know what she was running."
Angel qualified on pole, Stephanie back in 12th place with a long climb ahead.
"P12 was devastating, but predicted. As soon as the rain fell, I was thinking 'this isn't what we needed' and just went through with it."
Race time arrived and the start wasn't clean at all.
"From past experience, I knew Palm Beach wasn't a great passing venue. It was the example of how to pick your way through the field by timing your runs for the long straights. So seeing three wide in front of me was scary and I knew Angel would get a nice gap at the start."
Indeed, she did. At the end of lap one, Angel had a 2 second gap over second place, and 7 seconds over Steph. Methodically, in Porter fashion, Steph began picking off drivers one by one, climbing to 2nd with 14 to go.
"I knew Angel hadn't been pushing. She never needed to. So her tires were fresher. I had to make a hard decision. Do I gun for her or just hold on to second?"
Choice made, Steph began setting consecutive fastest laps, erasing the once 10 second gap to under two seconds with 5 to go. The heat was on. Angel began to push, but Steph had more momentum. At the white flag, the sisters were nose to tail. Steph used veteran experience to stalk Angel until the long straight. Then made her move.
"Under perfect circumstances, I would have gotten the inside line and cleared her braking for the right hander at the end of the straight."
However, Angel blocked the inside, forcing Steph to the outside. They ran right up to each other, pushing each other from one side of the road to the other. The tire rubbing caused significant problems. As Angel broke for the corner, the tires failed, sending her sideways into her sister and sending both into barrel rolls to the wall.
"When I hit the brakes, I watched my front left tire drop, and felt my left rear do the same thing. My slight wheel turn to the right snapped it into a slide and once I hit Steph I was up in the air."
"I wasn't aware that Angel's tires were that much worse than mine. She pushed from green to then, which for it being a junior formula was impressive. Our touch made her tires deflate rapidly, and when she hit me, my car tipped. Hitting the grass just carried that momentum and rolled it a lot."
Angel's car came to a rest on the tire barriers resting upside down, while Steph's was right side up against the tire barriers. Race was over.
"I climbed out of my car and saw Angel's upside down and smoking. First instinct was to climb the tires and try to see her."
"Steph slid under the nose and looked me in the face. Upside down, blood rushing to my head, my head stuck between the cockpit and tires, I just smiled and said "I might not be good at the airplane business."
Both failed to finish, but both hold that as extremely memorable and important races in their careers.
"For me, the race was the first time I had led that much of a race. I led almost from wire to wire. And it told me I could mingle with the big guns. That was important."
"For me, to see my baby sis up front and so edgy and fighting, it was a proud day. And her shrugging off the flip was just icing on the cake. She's a Porter, and it shined through that day."
Six years later, they return to that very same venue, having raced together in Formula 1, stock cars, touring cars, and endurance racers.
SILVERSTONE, UNITED KINGDOM--Silverstone Circuit has lambasted the fledgling series as a "low key imitation of Formula One" following a comment from VRR stating that they would be interested in going to the British circuit. Silverstone, who has hosted the British Grand Prix since the 1980's has closed the door on the idea, saying: "The VRR IndyCar Series is a stunt to see how much they can get away with being a new series. We don't need them here, and we don't want them here. We want only the best and we already have that."
Practice 1: Friday, September 4 @ 3:00-4:30 p.m. EDT
Practice 2: Friday, September 4 @ 5:30-6:30 p.m. EDT
Qualifying: Saturday, September 5 @ 12:00 p.m. EDT
Race: Sunday, September 6 @ 1:30 p.m. EDT
Anyone that wants their comments following each day's activities in the VRR Newspaper the following day can just PM me them.
 
I think an apology to @raven214 is in order. Figured out why he was off pace. I never adjusted his mechanical stats, so while everyone else had engines and aero running at 100, he was at 60. That is my fault and that has been fixed ahead of the Palm Beach test.
 
PBIR FP1 01.JPG
PBIR FP1 02.JPG
PBIR FP2 01.JPG
PBIR FP2 02.JPG
 
2nd and 9th? Not bad. :D Must have used too much curb the second session. :p

Also we lost a front wing...literally I mean we lost one of the spares. Still trying to find it. :lol:
 
25th to 13th is a good jump in practice sessions. I'm normally garbage during these FPs so I'm sure that the race and qualifying will bring different results.
 
25th to 13th is a good jump in practice sessions. I'm normally garbage during these FPs so I'm sure that the race and qualifying will bring different results.
Oh, they do. Trust me. They do.
 
7th in FP1 is a good start.

14th in FP2; not so great reflecting my consistency of being inconsistent.

Hopefully qualifying and the race go better.
 
That's not comforting... :scared:
I'm not saying you had a bad quali or race. I'm just going to imply it...and move on.
 
Some pretty big announcements coming in the newspaper tomorrow.
 
Last in the 1st session to 4th in the second!? Thats some serious inconsistency there.
 
Auckland, New Zealand-There was a brief press conference held today at the RTi factories in the outskirts of Auckland. During this conference more plans were revealed for the 2017 season. "Unfortunately Bauer Hockey will not be returning as title sposnor for the team next season," said team principle Amelia Neild "'However, this gives us the opportunity to seek out new sponsorship. Also, we will be changing from the Bauer RTi Team NZ name to RTi Team NZ. The guys at RTi work extremely hard each and every day to produce competitive race cars. We are really hoping to find a title sponsor who is willing to join us in that pursuit."

There will be a livery reveal with-in 24 hours
 
Spoiler: Silverstone Calls VRR IndyCar Imitation F1
Oh really. They don't want money? Fine then, there are at least three other standing circuits I'm certain would gladly welcome the series.

If only I had the money or the knowhow to bring one back to existence.
 
Back