[VRR][B-SPEC] 2017 Straight Talk IndyCar Series Season

• Thread starter Eva
  • 1,040 comments

What Sponsor Would You Want For 2018-2020?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'll believe ya, I just don't have the internship experience to show that I know such... :lol:

Also, it's actually "why wouldn't I?", buuut let's leave the Grammar Cop job to those who love it. :sly: :lol:

haha meh, guess I still gotta improve my english skills, eh?

Eva
Tertiary scheme is still happening, and yes you are still on my team for 2018 for as far as I know.

Very cool. I'll post my entry form then.

Car: #77 - Andrew Draco
Primary Sponsor: To Be Announced
Secondary Sponsor: In-N-Out Burger
Tertiary Sponsor: Coca-Cola _____
Associate Sponsor #1: Ray-Ban Eyewear & Sunglasses
Associate Sponsor #2: Marchi Mobile GmbH
Associate Sponsor #3: SunEnergy1
Associate Sponsor #4: Haas Automation Inc.
Associate Sponsor #5: Magneti Marelli
Associate Sponsor #6: SKF Group
Associate Sponsor #7: NGK Spark Plugs
Associate Sponsor #8: Brembo

Basically, the TBA's are up to @Eva and the Black Rose Racing Team, while those listed are meant to be personal sponsors tied to the driver.

EDIT: Took the advice from @Eva and changed up the sponsorship accordingly.

Last edited:
Very cool. I'll post my entry form then.

Car: #77 - Andrew Draco
Primary Sponsor: To Be Announced
Secondary Sponsor: To Be Announced
Tertiary Sponsor: In-N-Out Burger (Subject to review by BRRT)
Associate Sponsor #1: Ray-Ban Eyewear & Sunglasses (Subject to review by BRRT)
Associate Sponsor #2: Marchi Mobile GmbH (Subject to review by BRRT)
Associate Sponsor #3: SunEnergy1 (Subject to review by BRRT)
Associate Sponsor #4: To Be Announced
Associate Sponsor #5: To Be Announced
Associate Sponsor #6: To Be Announced
Associate Sponsor #7: To Be Announced
Associate Sponsor #8: To Be Announced

Basically, the TBA's are up to @Eva and the Black Rose Racing Team, while those listed are meant to be personal sponsors tied to the driver.
I don't see any problem with any of those. I'd move In and Out to secondary sponsor though because Black Rose Racing is running all Coca-Cola schemes for their tertiary schemes.

Recently been having a brainwave for my Triple Crown tertiary sponsors.
Tertiary Sponsor: twitch.tv
Associate Sponsor #1: Nvidia
Associate Sponsor #2: 3M
Associate Sponsor #3: Valvoline
Associate Sponsor #4: Akebono Brake Industry
Associate Sponsor #5: Rexall
Associate Sponsor #6: HBO
Associate Sponsor #7: 7-Eleven
Associate Sponsor #8: Edelbrock

Working on a design in Forza 6 for if a 2018 livery convo goes up.

2018 Driver Form(Same Primary,Secondary and Number as this year.)
Tertiary Sponsor: K&N Filters
Associate Sponsor #1 EBC
Associate Sponsor #2 Randstad
Associate Sponsor #3 Petrobras
Associate Sponsor #4 Bruster's
Associate Sponsor #5 Energizer
Associate Sponsor #6 Bosch
Associate Sponsor #7 Jim Beam
Associate Sponsor #8 G-Shock

Last edited:
2018 Driver Form(Same Primary,Secondary and Number as this year.)
Tertiary Sponsor: Lenovo
Associate Sponsor #1 EBC
Associate Sponsor #2 Randstad
Associate Sponsor #3 Petrobras
Associate Sponsor #4 Bruster's
Associate Sponsor #5 Energizer
Associate Sponsor #6 Bosch
Associate Sponsor #7 Jim Beam
Associate Sponsor #8 G-Shock
BKGlover already has Lenovo as a scheme sponsor.

My 2018 sponsorship details, in short:
Primary Sponsor: Alienware
Secondary Sponsor: Subway
Tertiary Sponsor: Bethesda Softworks
Associate Sponsor #1: UFC
Associate Sponsor #2: Reebok
Associate Sponsor #3: Dell
Associate Sponsor #4: Starkist
Associate Sponsor #5: Tudor
Associate Sponsor #6: Kellogg's
Associate Sponsor #7: Duracell
Associate Sponsor #8: Excedrin

After a race that had some decent ups and one massive down for the #23 Rookie, this is what he had to say about his day.
"Well, first of all a massive sorry to whomever I hit, I believe it was the number 80, and then of course got a whole bunch of people all messed up there. I was pretty close going into the turn and I just got a little too close in that draft and tagged him. I suppose you have to learn that way, but you know, it's something that I'll have to work really hard on not doing again. Uh... until that point though, it was a decent race for me. I think I was up to 4th at one point, really battling hard but everytime I got up the top I just couldn't keep up too long. So it really was a case of getting my nose ahead and then falling back, rallying up and trying again. Got to keep working on it, seeing if I can really get myself up and staying there instead of falling back quite often. Starting on row 14 wasn't ideal either, I was really hoping to break top 10 rows, but that's the past now. I'll be sure to learn from my first race, concentrate on fixing mistakes, pushing forward in strengths and working with the team to get those wins that of course ultimately is the goal for myself and the team"

Was running well, then business as usual happened. Thought I did horrid in Shanghai until Clayton said I got a top 10 there, which was a bit of a surprise.

"First off, I hope everyone is okay from that accident, secondly...who ever...THE IDIOTIC ****...was that turned me around and piled us all up, get the **** out."

*derp question by a reporter named Steve*

"Yeah well, the season so far's been great so eh, just gonna roll with it. The car wasn't great on this track anyway so we'll tweak the engine for Indy but otherwise this was rather depressing. I hate this pack racing **** and honestly may consider an oval driver for next year besides Indy."

*Steve asks another derp question*

"I'm just glad Shangai's next...have better chance on a non-oval I think. The guy who hit me or caused somebody to hit me should just be glad these cars don't have fenders. My mood isn't great right now so if you'll excuse me I'm going the bar to watch the rest of the race."

From the desk of Evangeline Porter, Chief Executive Officer of Virtual Reality Racing, Promoter of the Straight Talk IndyCar Series: Beginning in 2018, there will no longer be a hard cap on the amount of full time entries registered for the IndyCar Series. The amount of drivers making the field will remain held at 33, with Auto Club Speedway and a road course to be determined being exempt from that limit. Additionally, the pre-qualifying system will not be modified from its current layout. The top 24 entries in the 2017 VRR IndyCar World Championship standings, based on owner's points, will be exempt from pre-qualifying for the first 8 races of 2018. All entries below 24th as well as new entries wll have to engage in a pre-qualifying session before every race weekend to try advancing to the race field. Furthermore, teams fielding entries limited to specific rounds will save money on the VRR entry fee the team has to pay for each entry it makes. Full time entries have an entry fee of USD$560,000 whereas a limited schedule entry, defined as competing in 5 or less events will only pay USD$100,000. We have to broaden ourselves to the amount of interest drivers, teams, and sponsors that want to compete in the fastest, most competitive series in the world. This is a step towards that.

Engine suppliers will still be limited to supplying a maximum of ten full time entries for the season. Excess entries being supplied by those manufacturers will be given a rebadged engine and will forfeit any upgrades the engine supplier may have planned for the priority entries. Engine suppliers have no limit to how many limited event entries they can supply.

Regarding sales of entries, those sales will now be null and void, and money will be refunded to the teams that bought an excess entry. Once it is known what teams have waivers from pre-qualifying for 2018, teams can sell those waivers to other teams in a two month window.

@DurWinning apparently I tagged someone else instead of you in the video post so oops.

I've been hitting the wrong keys for two weeks now.

I think I'll just note when it's not my poster.

Good god, that wreck was awful. How no one got hurt is beyond me.

Lap 36:.....I don't recall being retired from the crash, or even involved, WHERE THE 🤬 DID I GO!?

Lap 46:....oh. :grumpy:

Aaand Dev goes across NJNs nose...keep that helmet on post-race Dev.

Lap 60: Tandem drafting may be a thing, but not if SPK is actually that strong.

Lap 71: I suspect Devereaux will be getting flogged by VRR, may be forced to take a sobriety test as well.

120s: "Dammit, stop toying with me, Nico!"

Times #79 came off the inside line on camera(roughly): 23

We had an OK car, finished about where we should in honesty, but if we hadn't got caught in BS YET AGAIN it could have been better, though I don't know that I'll ever shake BS in my life.

More importantly, Ray winning proves that the car isn't complete junk, it just takes a championship caliber driver to put it to work, and a championship level crew to keep it running. Cliff, Ray, way to go boys! Yeah!

How about that?! Holy crap this feels so good I can't describe it, we just, we won. We did it! I have to thank my crew chief Cliff and @BKGlover for putting me in the car this year before anything else.

*hugs CC*

It was tough out there today, speedway racing is known for being cut-throat but that was just the craziest racing I've ever witnessed. I knew all I had to do was stay out of trouble and I'd home free just the same as everyone else would be. These Starion guys, they really put together great speedway cars and this one was no different, it let me test the moves I wanted to make for the end of the race all day. Then when it came time to get down to the real business it just took off.

(Reporter asks for last 10 laps summary)

Man, Michelin looked like he had us covered, he managed to break away just enough that the draft wasn't powerful enough to draw the pack back up to him while we battled. That lapped traffic really saved my butt, without it we wouldn't have caught Michelin, and then BK being the last one inadvertently played the good teammate role and held me back enough that I made it into a gap on the inside I otherwise would have missed. That was the real ticket to victory, getting back in line when I did and drafting up behind Aryeetey and then that big push Hardy gave me to put me in the lead with 2 to go. They battled behind me just long enough to keep from mounting a serious run until the final corner. Michelin got right up behind me coming off the corner and it unsettled the rear enough that I had to chase it up the track but I had just enough speed to hold him off.

(Reporter references season start to now)

Oh man, I don't want to talk about Vegas any more than I have, that's a scary place in an Indycar, as are most D ovals really. Calder was just weird though, I don't know what happened at the end of that race but the car went from great to poop just by changing tires. Clark went okay-ish, the car wasn't really where we wanted it in the race so mid-pack was the result and then Shanghai was Top 10 so we seem to be figuring things out nicely here. We're on the upswing for sure so hopefully we aren't peaking right at the start of the season, but right now this is great, thank you Ford for giving us a good engine we're putting it to great uses. I should also thank LEGO, they're sponsoring all of our North American races and we won the first one for them, National Geographic we need to redeem for Calder though, thank you everyone.

"It's been a tough weekend, to be perfectly honest. After the highs of winning in Shanghai on the road course, The ole' #77 wasn't that good in qualifying, so the crew at Black Rose Racing Team figured that having the car set up for the conditions on raceday was the way to go.

"Just like last year the car was doing really good in traffic, but the side-drafting going on from running four and five cars wide in places made it hard to predict where you could go... You sort of had to pick a "Lane", wait until the start/finish line to make your move, the rinse and repeat. Then of course on lap 12 "The Big One" happened on the back stretch and I got sent for a pretty wild ride. I have to give credit to the update package that VRR put in place on the chassis over the winter, because it feels like these cars are built like tanks; Even after doing a barrel-roll and landing on all four wheels I was able to kind of drive back to the pits, but the steering and suspension couldn't be fixed so we had to retire.

"It's a real shame that happened because I like racing at Auto Club Speedway, but looking at the tape I think Angie (Evangeline Porter) is going to have to sit down and have a talk with Nicole (Liechti), because it looks like she got into somebody and triggered the whole thing and it took out myself, Alan (Herrera), herself, Patrick Marcelli... Not a good day for us or Team Porter."

"I'm just hoping everybody settles down for Homestead, because back-to-back DNFs are going to really hurt our chances for the title."

For those that were unable to watch the race to see the points standings, here they are for everyone.
Points 01.PNG
Points 02.PNG
Points 03.PNG
Points 04.PNG

From press conference - "Perl-Speed GP would like to formally announce that for the 2018 season and beyond that we have chosen to sign with Ferrari for the VRR Indycar series. The decision took several months to deliberate upon, and we had a tough time choosing between the manufactures whom were willing to speak with us. Ferrari's never flinching commitment to motorsports and their passion for racing has always been evident, and we're proud to join the Ferrari ranks for 2018. The contract is a long term deal, and we believe that this will be a step in the right direction for us. Stability has been an issue for us since we entered this series, and the solid foundation that Ferrari offers was extremely enticing. We hope to do them proud, and hope that this will lead to a bright future for Perl-Speed GP.

In regards to Aston Martin, this season has so far been a great success, and we hope to end this season on a high note to show what could have been with us as a factory team. This signing with Ferrari does not affect our commitments in GT racing, however we are evaluating options for our GT program at this time."

Last edited:
"I think having them within Ferrari's ranks next year will be a great thing, not only for Ferrari and them, but for us as well. It gives us something solid to measure ourselves against, and we have the ability to help them make the transition from Aston to Ferrari. Ferrari has already shown they are able to win races in IndyCar, and I think with Perlstein and that whole organization on board, we'll be even more capable."
Nicole Liechti hasn't had the easiest transition to IndyCar. The former Super Formula championship contender has achieved two pole positions, but has yet to have a top ten finish. In fact, she's only finished two of the four races so far in the season. With critisizm mounting, and the threat of sponsors withdrawing their support, Liechti responded to the public: "These first few months have been a large learning curve. Coming from a road course-only championship where the cars are a lot more stable and planted, I'm having to learn the hard way around. I have the pace. I've shown it twice in qualifying. But the way the car behaves with others is something I've never experienced before. That's where I'm at right now with learning. Angel has been patient with both me and Patrick in terms of getting information, using feedback, and improving ourselves as the season progresses. I said before the season that this year is a learning year for me. Things like oval racing, pack racing, and single car qualifying runs are all new to me. I think the way qualifying is has really helped me in terms of how successful I've been there, but I'm still learning. Most of these tracks I've never been on before. Those I've raced on, I raced in smaller single seaters or in endurance cars so I have no baseline...Fontana was a custer for me. Being stuck in the middle like that, I was trying to give the cars near the wall room because my spotter was saying five wide, three near the wall, and ran into Del Prete."
The aero package that led to the stellar racing at Fontana has been confirmed for other races according to VRR CEO
Evangeline Porter. The aero package will be used at Michigan, Pocono, Lausitz, Indianapolis, and Charlotte as well as the season finale at Fontana.

"To be frank, if you asked me where I would be after this race, I wouldn't answer you the same way the standings do."

Costa-Monteiro had reasons to smile, and there were three different ones to choose from. After the Indy 300, not only did Costa cement his 1st place in the Drivers Standings despite a 16th place finish, but also assisted with Chevrolet's imposing lead in the Engines Cup. To complete the joy trifecta, fellow teammate Matheus Michelin's brilliant 2nd place finish landed Team Christie Upton on the top rung of the team ladder.
2017 has been nothing short of a dream season for Costa, not used to such a powerful string of successes. Matheus's drive was something the Portuguese wanted to see for a while, and in his mind, it was everything he wanted. "I told Mich; we have the car, we have the engine. Almost everything is in the game, except your mindset. Get that in the game and we'll clinch the board", Costa explained to On The Back Straight. "Once I saw his result, I knew we had the last laugh.
The plans for 2018 have been kept under tight wraps, but Costa dropped a few small details; the partnership with Chevrolet will be kept, and the TCU name will be ditched after 2017. The ongoing TKU controversy has taken its toll on Costa, who believes that "it's time to forgive and forget for good", and was followed by the announcement that the Portuguese bought the team's shares and plans to run both the #76 and the #30 under another name. Said name hasn't been revealed yet, but it's clear that the offspring of TKU has grown far beyond a spoiled brat...

Announcing some changes for the Toshiba Indy Lights Series in 2018. The series will be developed further as a support series for the 2018 VRR IndyCar Series. Teams can be of one or two cars, with those cars needing to share identical liveries. The series will use the oval aero kits for the same DW12 mod used for the IndyCar Series, and will have a limit of 42 cars per race. In 2018, the series will use inline 4 engines supplied by Renault. The finances for the series will be revealed in full by the time the 2018 thread opens on July 1st, but here's a basic outline on the immediate expenses:
-Dallara IL18 Chassis=$250,000
-Dallara IL18 Aero Kit=$50,000
-Engine Lease for the year=$500,000
-IndyCar Teams running Indy Lights teams will not need to pay fuel or tire expenses.
-Team Champion earns $1,000,000
-Driver Champion earns $500,000 scholarship for limited schedule in IndyCar or full GT Endurance Championship season.
-GTPlanet members can field both cars by themselves or work with another GTPlanet member.
-AI teams will also help fill the field.

Back