Vw Vanagon+subaru Engine=vanagon S

  • Thread starter Thread starter m@goo
  • 10 comments
  • 4,082 views
Messages
263

Attachments

  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 124
rear
 

Attachments

  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 117
engine - YES ITS A WRX Engine
 

Attachments

  • 004_003.jpg
    004_003.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 120
exhaust
 

Attachments

  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 120
I feel bad for the poor Subaru engine, hauling around that ugly thing...anyways, an interesting project but it would be cooler if it had VW power.
 
The Interview

Q: How long have you owned this car?

A: I bought it in Oct 03

Q: Is there anything unique about the history of this car?

A: It was previously owned by 2 old lady kayakers, who kept it in a garage.

Q:What was your objective with this car?

A: I wanted to create a sleeper Vanagon that would be able to keep up with traffic.

Q: Who helped you build this car?

A: I pretty much did everything, except the wiring harness.

Q: What makes your car special?

A: It still has it's original paint!

Q: What is your favorite part/feature/function?

A: I love the WRX engine, it has really given me respect for Subaru.

Q: Who or what inspired the direction of modifications on this car?

A: A friend of mine, Spencer, he works at EASY Porsche dismantlers in Emeryville Ca, he used to have a 911 powered VW van until it caught on fire.

Q: What don't you like about this car?

A: I really need to find a 5spd transaxle.

Q: What would you change if you could?

A: I'm planning on a brake upgrade, 944 turbo vented rotors and calipers coming soon.

Q: On a scale of 1 to 10, how satisfied are you with the outcome of this project?

A: 11! This thing is incredible! I never imagined what a 250hp Vanagon would feel like. I can't keep from smiling everytime I get behind the wheel.

Q: What would you do to the car if money were no object?

A: Porsche 996 6spd transaxle, and big reds. I would also fab a roll cage.

Q: Who has been your biggest critic of this project?

A: The wife really doesn't understand where all the money goes...

Q: What do your family and friends say about this car?

A: They love it! everybody wants to ride in it.

Q: What is your ideal day with this car?

A: Driving 9 hours to the Bay Area from Portland, and not having to move over for faster moving traffic.

Q: Who gets to drive this car?

A: It's all me baby!

Q: If you had to name your car, what would you name it?

A: It has a name... Vanagon-S "S" is for Subaru.

Q: What was your previous project?

A: I had an 85 double cab transporter, that I added some wheels to. Also added a 911 steering wheel and a tach from a later model.

Q: What is your next project?

A: I would like to do another one using a 91 Vanagon, but this time with an STI 2.5 turbo engine.

Q: What one word best describes your car?

A: Sleeper!

Owner Information:

Name- Eric Didier
VWvortex Screen Name - EricDidier
E-mail- vwicon@comcast.net
Occupation- engineer


Vehicle Information:

Year- 1987
Make- Volkswagen
Model- Vanagon, wolfsburg edition weekender.
Mileage- 217k !
Original Color- LB7Y Vesuve grey metallic
Current Color- still has original paint!
Engine- 02 Subaru WRX
Engine Modifications- Flex up pipe, samco intercooler hoses, cold air intake, .
Exhaust Modifications- custom 2.5" down pipe, 911 muffler with dual exhaust
Transmission Modifications- Totally stock, except for synthetic oil.
Suspension Modifications- none
Brake Modifications- none yet
Wheels and Tires- Porsche 996 twists, 18 x 8's and 18x10's
Exterior/Body Modifications- rear spoiler, custom air scoop, euro tail light extensions.
Interior Modifications- Corbeau seats using 911 seat tracks, 911 3 spoke steering wheel, white face gauges, 7k rpm tach, vdo boost gauge.
 
There's a quite well known VW tuner in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne, out Bayswater way, that produced a lot of Mark I Golfs that had about a quarter inch gap between the tyre and guard that never varied when you watched them on the road - amazing suspension control.

Anyhoo, their workshop van was a Kombi...

...that ran a 2.7 litre Porsche flat 6 that had been pretty severely played with. I saw this thing blow off no end of V8 Commodores and Falcons over the years - rear engine plus rear end squat equals huge traction.
 
holly ****, ya got any pics of that monster?
 
Nah - had a bit of a look on the web. Next time I'm down there I'll take a shot of it. It's a very dark blue, and it sounds angry.
 
Reminds me of two VW T4s here in and around Munich.

One is a dark green one with a Porsche engine and all around looks the same as a normal T4, just another rims and tyres. It belongs to a friend's father, so I'll maybe have a chance to take some photos some time.

And the other one is also a T4, which I only know from a story of my brother. He was going around 160mph (260km/h) in his tuned Audi 80 Quattro on the highway back then and all of a sudden there was this T4 in his rearview mirror with a monster sound, slightly wider arches and instead of a VW badge it had the Audi rings on the grille. Scary ****! Then the T4 was flashing my brother. At hundred fu**ing sixty miles per hour!! My brother went one track right and let him pass. The T4 then put the metal to the floor and overtook my brother with ease. My bro tried to overtake him again, but even at 168mph the T4 couldn't be passed.
Long story short: An (most likely) Audi quattro engined T4 smoked my brother's car. *rofl*
 
Back