VW VI R is not a good car

• Thread starter Sparkz_360
  • 20 comments
United Kingdom
London
Sparks_360
Was using this car online in tonight's league, my god the car is horrible it shouldn't be classed as a 4WD car is should be a FWD car.

I like VW's very much but this car just failed, the Scirocco would have been a better 4WD car, even that car is good as a FWD, I'm sure the Golf is better in real life but damn you would not like to drive it in this game.

Thoughts on this car?

Firstly please title the thread properly.

Horrible in what respect? It shouldn't be classed a 4WD? Well, the Golf VI R is 4WD, so is classed correctly, and that can cause some understeer depending on the power split between the axles.

Also, what makes you think the Scirocco would be a better 4WD? Chances are it would suffer the same issues and it being a decent FWD car is irrelevant.

The Golf VI R is a very good car I think in GT6.

Last edited:
Was using this car online in tonight's league, my god the car is horrible it shouldn't be classed as a 4WD car is should be a FWD car.

I like VW's very much but this car just failed, the Scirocco would have been a better 4WD car, even that car is good as a FWD, I'm sure the Golf is better in real life but damn you would not like to drive it in this game.

Thoughts on this car?
Man, I totally disagree with you. The Golf R is excellent in all ways. Much better than the X1.

The only problem with the Golf VI R in GT5 and GT6, is the specs are the asia-pacific version, eg. it's nerfed, so the power stock is incorrect, it should be 200KW or 267bhp, but its down to 252bhp (as it was sold in Australia and presumably Japan).

Otherwise, it's a great car, you need to lift off oversteer though, it won't power oversteer.

Isn't the Golf basically the Scirocco with 4WD? It's got similar power (exactly the same if it has the non-nerfed specs) and similar chassis. But because of the 4WD system it's a bit heavier, and that's why it feels a bit more ponderous when you compare them stock. But once you tune it the 4WD system will hold its own out of corners while the 'Roc will just torque steer everywhere.

Practice the 'slow in fast out' technique and it should come alive. I find all 4WD suffer a little 'push' when thrashed a little too hard.

Wow. Ragging it on one of my favourite cars since GT5. I love the Golf VI R. Handles like a dream....... and performs excellently :D

Looks like you're the only one that has problems with it. (I also love it.) What tyres were you on & what cars were you trying to keep up with?

With the right tune on it, it's up there with the Clio v6 and Z4 for under appreciated but awesome cars. These cars are awesome because they're fast, but they still need some skill to fully exploit.

The opposite of cars like the RS Focus or Series One, which are basically fast whatever tune might be on it or whomever might be at the wheel.

Perhaps you suck at driving?
Isn't that a bit extreme?.... (Well I'll admit when I first started GT4 it took me a while to really get my skills down). I mean, no car in GT6 is really going to handle like their real life counterpart. It's just a simulation.

For me, it does also suck. But it might be, that it's a very special usecase. I like driving cars in standard-spec (+ oilchange) and on comfort soft tires to compare laptimes and driving behaviour (all aids off except for ABS at the newer cars that have it in real life).

Laptimes at the Nordschleife:

Scion FR-S (413LP): 8:22,787
VW Golf R (435LP): 8:23,726
Clio R.S. '11 (410LP): 8:26,918

It might have not been me best day for driving yesterday, but now I'm testing it on the Silverstone Stowe Circuit and it feels totally like an FWD-Car. Out of the slower corners I have to be very patient to not let the inside front wheel spin ridiculously. And you can't drive "behind" it, so that the rear comes into play. The only way to get the rear moving is trailbraking massively. It's also not very sharp at turn in. After a first reaction of turn in, it washes wide immediatly, if you are not super sensible. It simply feels heavy and clumsy.

Laptimes at Silverstone Stowe Circuit:

Mégane R.S. Trophy '11 (447LP): 0:58,621
Range Rover Evoque (!!!) (415LP): 0:59,899 <- This is a great example for a working 4WD-system!
Scion FR-S (413LP): 0:59,922
Clio R.S. '11 (410LP): 1:00,169
VW Golf VI R (435LP): 1:00,183

The downsides of the car might not come into play if you're running on soft race-tires, or running it with a customised setup. But in it's basic form on basic standard tires, this car really does not work. It's so bad, that I used the search-function of this forum, to get some hints if it is a known bug, that PD has programmed this car as a FWD instead of a 4WD.

Back