Wait for performance patches or just keep playing?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Nielsen
  • 35 comments
  • 3,266 views
Messages
10,022
Denmark
Denmark
I have intentionally stopped making progress in GT5. The reason is a combination of my own flawed experience with the game and the frequent flow of patches.

Two weeks after release and three patches later they have only been expanding the online portion of game without any word about patching screen tearing, jaggy shadows, pop ups, low resolution textures and the graphical inconsistencies in genreal. I know it's still early but I cannot help wondering if these technical problems are going to be fixed with patches. There is a chance that not even PD can answer this question at this point but that would be quite shocking after all these years of development. Otherwise they should just tell us that they simply cannot improve GT5 for the PS3 console.

I love the game in many ways but the fact that they have already released three patches makes me think that the game is worth saving till it gets properly finished. I'm basically saying that I would be ready to start playing again if I knew there wouldn't be another patch for the next four months.

Has anyone else considered to put GT5 on hold until PD hopefully will speak out and let us know what we should expect from here on?
 
No 0_o, I don't think this sort of stuff stops me playing the game.
 
I doub't they'll ever patch performance much, that probably goes too deep into the release to be possible at this stage.
 
I doub't they'll ever patch performance much, that probably goes too deep into the release to be possible at this stage.

They improved GT5:P's performance through patches if i'm not mistaken.

I would expect minor improvements to graphics and overall performance, but don't expect major things, like updated textures and things like that.
 
the scary thing is that from Kaz's tweets (theres a thread for them on this forum), he talks like "We might do.." or "We'll see if theres a need to" in relation to the patches, that means theres no clear road map for what the patches will contain. no road map = no plan
 
the scary thing is that from Kaz's tweets (theres a thread for them on this forum), he talks like "We might do.." or "We'll see if theres a need to" in relation to the patches, that means theres no clear road map for what the patches will contain. no road map = no plan

At least they're considering it... there's games that come out that receive very few patches at all, while GT5 is consistently being patched.... not bad for a game that's pretty great out of the box...
 
Personally I wouldn't get my hopes up for them to patch that stuff.
 
the scary thing is that from Kaz's tweets (theres a thread for them on this forum), he talks like "We might do.." or "We'll see if theres a need to" in relation to the patches, that means theres no clear road map for what the patches will contain. no road map = no plan

Do you expect him to just blurt out a detailed roadmap of every patch from here to 2015?

The fact that he uses conditionals doesn't mean that they don't have a plan, especially considering graphical changes to be done in a game that already juices the console near it's limit. They can easily have plans to try and improve some aspects, but it remains to be seen if it's even possible.
 
No 0_o, I don't think this sort of stuff stops me playing the game.

Don't understand me like I won't get back to playing the game. It's too good for that! It's just with one patch every week I cannot help getting the feeling that I better wait and see what they have up their sleeve for the next patch. All the graphical issues do not kill my enjoyment but I wouldn't mind putting my progress on hold if I can enjoy the game without these issues pretty soon in the future. I hope it makes sense.
 
Don't understand me like I won't get back to playing the game. It's too good for that! It's just with one patch every week I cannot help getting the feeling that I better wait and see what they have up their sleeve for the next patch. All the graphical issues do not kill my enjoyment but I wouldn't mind putting my progress on hold if I can enjoy the game without these issues pretty soon in the future. I hope it makes sense.


It makes a bit more sense now, but initially you just came off as another complainer in a sea of WHINE


(puns ftw)
 
Do you expect him to just blurt out a detailed roadmap of every patch from here to 2015?

The fact that he uses conditionals doesn't mean that they don't have a plan, especially considering graphical changes to be done in a game that already juices the console near it's limit. They can easily have plans to try and improve some aspects, but it remains to be seen if it's even possible.

Why shouldn't there be a general road map for the rolling out of new features?
I don't expect him to lay publish it on twitter, but after 5 years in production its not unreasonable to expect the plans for the game to extend passed the day of release, people wouldn't be complaining as much if they had a time frame for when the features they want would be rolled out.
 
It makes a bit more sense now, but initially you just came off as another complainer in a sea of WHINE


(puns ftw)

Please feel free to look at my feedback as something which can be used constructively and hopefully will help making a better game for us all. It's not even the point of this thread though!
 
Why shouldn't there be a general road map for the rolling out of new features?
I don't expect him to lay publish it on twitter, but after 5 years in production its not unreasonable to expect the plans for the game to extend passed the day of release, people wouldn't be complaining as much if they had a time frame for when the features they want would be rolled out.

Most Software Development houses use a methodology that is called "Scrum".
Scrum basically means, "Ask your costumers what they want, and give it to them as fast as possible", this is opposed to the approach of "let's plan exactly what we're gonna work on for the next few years, without regarding the wishes of the people that are buying our stuff".
I don't think it means that PD doesn't have a general road map, I just don't think it is totally closed for changes.
 
Why shouldn't there be a general road map for the rolling out of new features?
I don't expect him to lay publish it on twitter, but after 5 years in production its not unreasonable to expect the plans for the game to extend passed the day of release, people wouldn't be complaining as much if they had a time frame for when the features they want would be rolled out.

Time frames in game developement are very elastic, patches need to be tested and they are very likely to have to go back to the development team if bugs are found, problems are likely to arise unexpected, and things that the developer is willing to try, may simply not be doable for practical reasons.

No developer gives detailed roadmaps, and the reason for that is that in game development giving a list of fixed dates is the perfect way to unleash a whinefest as soon as one of those dates isn't respected for the above reasons.

They most likely have a roadmap, but they won't tell you, because you would cry as if Yamauchi beat your grandmother the first time one of the dates on the roadmap is missed.
 
The only thing I have stopped doing is the Licence tests, I will resume this as soon as I can backup my save game. As for stopping playing the game, no, I think the patches will mainly be features and cars instead of textures etc
 
I have intentionally stopped making progress in GT5. The reason is a combination of my own flawed experience with the game and the frequent flow of patches.

Two weeks after release and three patches later they have only been expanding the online portion of game without any word about patching screen tearing, jaggy shadows, pop ups, low resolution textures and the graphical inconsistencies in genreal. I know it's still early but I cannot help wondering if these technical problems are going to be fixed with patches. There is a chance that not even PD can answer this question at this point but that would be quite shocking after all these years of development. Otherwise they should just tell us that they simply cannot improve GT5 for the PS3 console.

I love the game in many ways but the fact that they have already released three patches makes me think that the game is worth saving till it gets properly finished. I'm basically saying that I would be ready to start playing again if I knew there wouldn't be another patch for the next four months.

Has anyone else considered to put GT5 on hold until PD hopefully will speak out and let us know what we should expect from here on?

If there's one thing that needs patching, it's the insane load times...
I love the game and all, but the load times are incredibly frustrating and they are the reason why I'll eventually get very bored of this game. It takes minutes to go from the end of a race to the home screen to get your new car to selling or upgrading it. That should take 20 seconds.

I miss the days of cartridge games that did not have load times...
 
I don't get why you would stop playing until a patch comes out. What's the logic there?
 
I don't think Jaggy shadows should stop you from playing a racing game. And I think you will get a lot better at it if you watch the road and not the shadows. LOL. The graphics are great if you are using the game for racing. If you are using it to take your car out for a cruise and enjoy the scenery then maybe there are some flaws. I use it to race and all I see is the background flying past me. Many times I see a wall close up but it's never intentional.

Moral of the story, just play the game, don't get caught up listening to the whiners. Once you get immersed in the racing it's quite the experience. It's a video game not real life. Only real life looks like real life, video games just try to replicate it. A shadow shouldnt stop you from enjoying it.
 
What OP is saying, and Im starting to think I want to do the same, is that why play through the game as the ugly step sister, when you could wait, play your other games, and wait till GT5 plays AND looks like the Cinderella we were promised. Theres something very annoying about enduring so much suffering to BEAT a race, a challenge, or the game itself, and to look around and see how flawed it is AS you did it. Then, what if you did beat the game, after a ridiculous effort and loss of hair on your part, THEN the game gets patched up beautifully, and some newer player gets to endure that heartache too, but with the polished game you SHOULD have had yourself to begin with. Ive been concentrating on KART play myself, and started up my own league and website dedicated just to karting, and dont give a rip about License gold, beating every race, owning every car etc, because the rest of the game is badly flawed. I too will wait to give this game my full effort until Kaz fixes more stuff.

In the meantime, you can find me in the sweaty jungles of Vietnam this winter and spring as I play the Battlefield BC2: Vietnam mapset. When I get back from Nam, for Summer of 2011, hopefully a more beautiful driving experience will be awaiting me.
 
I am a bit surprised how many people I see making a big deal about shadows and some occasional tearing. There are so many more things that are far more important towards game play and missing features that this should not be on the tip of anyones tounge.

The online functionality is of major importantance as are the leaderboards. I hope PD does not invest much time into the area of graphics until after the core functions are working at peak performance with maximum online playablility.

In fact I would not care one bit if nothing is ever done to the graphics so long as the online functionality is improved, with prize money and more options and leaderboards added.

I would much rather have an additional track or 2 than better shadows.
 
I dont get why so many people are defending any of this game's flaws. Its like Kaz gave us a Super Nintendo cartridge to insert into our PS3's after all his bravado about how GT5 was too good for PS3 and belonged on PS4 in some ways. People who accept this game as is, and want to defend its flaws are the same types of people who likely would let someone abuse them IRL. Stand up for yourselves dammit. He gave us a sub standard product for this system. Have the balls to call it how it is.
 
You're nuts, sub standard? Do you not realize the scope of this game and what it attempts to achieve? The massive amount of content and detail this game contains? People are so spoiled, okay the game isn't perfect but no game is. If you're going to nitpick garbage like shadows and textures, then you're obviously missing the point of this game... the beauty of it, and the charm of it... if you're truly a gearhead or a wannabe racer, you'd appreciate this game for what it is... and the amount of effort that went into making this game... I'm sorry to go there and question or attack your love of cars but seriously, this is a RACING game... not some shooter trying to orgasm our tv screens with pretty colours and graphics...
 
corey, I think your ass just asked for more KY jelly now.
 
corey, I think your ass just asked for more KY jelly now.

Lol, I think the OP of this thread wants it more, this thread is a disaster... people will never agree on this... I say we all play the game and wait... it was just released... who knows when or what PD is going to patch... let's have patience!!!
 
I see exactly where the OP is coming from... but I don't think we will see visual improvement patches. I think the hardware is at it's limits... after 6 years I think PD has pretty much eaked out what they can and anything new they might come up with would almost certainly be too radical a change to just patch in.

I have hopes of single player damge, but I am a good chunk of the way through A spec already... I realize that if they do patch in damage in a month or two, it will probably be too late for me as I doubt I will go through Aspec again after beating it so I am kind of in the same boat.

I kind of feel they won't be patching in A spec damage though... it would make a divide between those who got the game pre patch and post patch. Also I get the feeling Kaz only put damgae into online to promote clean racing rather than really to experience the depth of damage in a race.
 
All I want for Christmas is in-game wheel lock options for my steering wheel, and I'll cut my whinning down by 75% and "ignore" the shadows, and be patient for a little while longer.
 
I don't get why you would stop playing until a patch comes out. What's the logic there?

With the tendency of a patch each week you get the feeling that the game isn't quite ready yet. I know they just have been adding online content rather that fixes so far but who knows what they will add next? If just PD could share their plans about updates then I could decide if I want to wait or just continue playing the game. I want to know where they are taking things before I can settle down with this game. It would be a different story if they released the patches with monthly intervals but weekly updates kinda says "give us a little more time to get this done".
 
I have intentionally stopped making progress in GT5. The reason is a combination of my own flawed experience with the game and the frequent flow of patches.

Two weeks after release and three patches later they have only been expanding the online portion of game without any word about patching screen tearing, jaggy shadows, pop ups, low resolution textures and the graphical inconsistencies in genreal. I know it's still early but I cannot help wondering if these technical problems are going to be fixed with patches. There is a chance that not even PD can answer this question at this point but that would be quite shocking after all these years of development. Otherwise they should just tell us that they simply cannot improve GT5 for the PS3 console.

I love the game in many ways but the fact that they have already released three patches makes me think that the game is worth saving till it gets properly finished. I'm basically saying that I would be ready to start playing again if I knew there wouldn't be another patch for the next four months.

Has anyone else considered to put GT5 on hold until PD hopefully will speak out and let us know what we should expect from here on?

TBH these patches are the reason I didn't buy the game yet. But i rented it. :)

I love the game and all, but I'd hate when they change the driving physics, because I love them too. I actually think they changed them already. :indiff:
Can't prove it tho.

As for the screen tearing i didn't notice it at first, but it's horrible, everytime it happens I start making mistakes...

I wish there was an option to turn on V-sync and maybe set to 30fps... man how I HATE 60fps, but oh well that's another topic (maybe?).

Anyway the game was rushed and that's noticable in gameplay, I still love it though... it's Gran Turismo. 👍


They improved GT5:P's performance through patches if i'm not mistaken.

I would expect minor improvements to graphics and overall performance, but don't expect major things, like updated textures and things like that.

Agreed, except, GT5:P played much more nicely without spec updates IMO. :ouch:
 
Screen tearing? Once in a while I see screen tearing. Maybe one momentary tear during a sharp turn in a race.

Part of the problem is that GT5 runs at 1080p. It could run at faster frame rates if it were only doing 720p. Is that what you want? Lower resolution?

If things like jagged shadows, screen tearing and low res textures bother you then you should move on to PC gaming. Get a top of the line video card which will allow you to turn on v-sync and never see any screen tearing again.

I think visually I'm impressed by what PD has been able to do with the limitations of a console. It is not likely that you will see patches for these issues unless PD finds a ton of places where they could easily optimize their code without risking introducing new bugs.

Yes, you are a nitpicker my friend. There are times when I'm in a awe at how it looks photorealistic.
 
Back