Wait for performance patches or just keep playing?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Nielsen
  • 35 comments
  • 3,266 views
I have intentionally stopped making progress in GT5. The reason is a combination of my own flawed experience with the game and the frequent flow of patches.

Two weeks after release and three patches later they have only been expanding the online portion of game without any word about patching screen tearing, jaggy shadows, pop ups, low resolution textures and the graphical inconsistencies in genreal. I know it's still early but I cannot help wondering if these technical problems are going to be fixed with patches. There is a chance that not even PD can answer this question at this point but that would be quite shocking after all these years of development. Otherwise they should just tell us that they simply cannot improve GT5 for the PS3 console.

I love the game in many ways but the fact that they have already released three patches makes me think that the game is worth saving till it gets properly finished. I'm basically saying that I would be ready to start playing again if I knew there wouldn't be another patch for the next four months.

Has anyone else considered to put GT5 on hold until PD hopefully will speak out and let us know what we should expect from here on?

How can you say you love the game and then fixate on perceived glitches that don't actually exist to the extent they ruin the enjoyment of the game? This is not love. This is discontent.

Stop whinging, start playing.
 
i personally can live with GT5 minus the terrible engine and exhaust notes. If for nothing else this should be updated to lift the shame and embarrasment that covers GT5 in this area. If GT5 were mine, I would patch this at any cost, and then go on about my business with my head held high ! at present, its shameful !
 
Part of the problem is that GT5 runs at 1080p. It could run at faster frame rates if it were only doing 720p. Is that what you want? Lower resolution?

Isn't GT5's native resolution 720p? It runs better in 720p from what I can tell even though some objects such as cars have more rendered pixels when running at 1080p. I prefer 720p in GT5.

If things like jagged shadows, screen tearing and low res textures bother you then you should move on to PC gaming. Get a top of the line video card which will allow you to turn on v-sync and never see any screen tearing again.

I've played Playstation games since the mid nineties and some of them have performed better than GT5 when it comes to graphical stability. Take GT5 Prologue as an example even though it has a few but far less evident visual problems.

I think visually I'm impressed by what PD has been able to do with the limitations of a console. It is not likely that you will see patches for these issues unless PD finds a ton of places where they could easily optimize their code without risking introducing new bugs.

The game certainly is visually impressive but also extremely inconsistent. Drive a premium car on the Nordscheliefe and it looks awesome. Then drive a standard car on one of your own tracks and it nearly looks and performs like a PS2 game.

Yes, you are a nitpicker my friend. There are times when I'm in a awe at how it looks photorealistic.

I am amazed how you can tell what I am by reading a couple of my posts on an internet forum. I'm probably just spoiled by the rather stable GT5 Prologue which succeeded in everything but content. I agree there are times where it gets close to photorealism in GT5 but only in Photomode and Photo Travel.

How can you say you love the game and then fixate on perceived glitches that don't actually exist to the extent they ruin the enjoyment of the game? This is not love. This is discontent.

Stop whinging, start playing.

Why do you care about that part of my post? Since you ask I will explain.
I said "in many ways" and here I refer to physics, premium cars, Photomode etc. That doesn't mean there are certain aspects which are less admirable but I didn't create this thread to whine or complain. I wanted to ask about the likelyhood of a performance patch. If you couldn't care less about the problems I have encountered then just ignore my concerns.
 
Last edited:
I agree. I was annoyed that the three patches was focused on online multiplayer because it's not that important. (Don't know why PD included online in the game) Single player is much more important so they should focus on that.

Hopefully they'll release the performance patches soon. But it won't stop me from playing it. Flaws are not too bad, not enough to stop me from playing, but I'd like to see them improved.
 
Last edited:
I dont get why so many people are defending any of this game's flaws. Its like Kaz gave us a Super Nintendo cartridge to insert into our PS3's after all his bravado about how GT5 was too good for PS3 and belonged on PS4 in some ways. People who accept this game as is, and want to defend its flaws are the same types of people who likely would let someone abuse them IRL. Stand up for yourselves dammit. He gave us a sub standard product for this system. Have the balls to call it how it is.

I can't put into words what I think of this ridiculous post - at least, not on these forums.
 
Sub-standard? even with the graphic glitches it looks better than that other "ultimate" driving sim on that other console.

Shadows were improved a bit on the 1.3 patch lest to me. Kaz had said the shadows were going to be fixed so maybe they will be improved more.

Screen tearing? I never notice it, maybe i am too busy driving to notice. I also run the game at 720p tho i could run it at 1080p but when the game came out 720 seemed the better option, not tried 1080 since the latest patch.

Online will get fixed up, soon i would guess. So the patches are not documented much they are fixing things i rather then get patches out that fix stuff even if they do not say what the patches do as long as i see improvements in x y z after each patch that i just notice actually playing the game i am fine with the non documentation.

Do they have a plan? Yea i think they do, they seem to be tackling the biggest gripes about the game first, shadows, b spec woes on some tracks, mechanical damage, online will be next i would guess with the leaderboards and matchmaking stuff, plus he already said flat out i believe that they would add filters for the general online room.

So what should they do? Detail every last thing they plan to do for the next x weeks, months? Or just do it? I rather they just do it and do it quickly rather than call me on the phone or email me about their exact plans and thoughts about what they need to work on.
 
Back