Want a tuning tested Tested?

• Thread starter fbccars924
  • 62 comments
I originally built my Katana RX-7 for the JGTC. That's why it only has c.490hp. The suspension and transmission were tuned to handle that much power. More power is uncharted territory for those settings. But you're free to try the bigger turbo for my set-up.

Regarding combining all 3 tunes for the best set-ups, what's wrong with just creating your own tune using nomis' tuning guide?

Because, I discovered my tunings are only mediocre at best when im tuning something like the RX-7 but wouldnt be a great parting gift to the gt community to leave a combination of the three best tuning garages RX-7 before gt5 comes out. and as far as a tuning from myself I will be posting one before long that will be solely my tuning.

Last edited:
@driftking: Thanks for the mention! I was very tempted to join this test but I'm busy In Real Life at the moment and already have a few nearly-complete GT4 projects on the go at the moment. I'm really interested to see how this turns out, it's a great idea.

Dammit, you guys have got me tempted to go out and buy a wheel. You're a bad influence! :lol:

[Jedimaster]*waves his hand at you* You're sick of your DS2, and you want to buy a G25.[/Jedimaster]

[Jedimaster]*waves his hand at you* You're sick of your DS2, and you want to buy a G25.[/Jedimaster]

Lol, Im content with my DS2 for the moment. Im waiting for GT5 and Im going to get a G27.

And just for reference
Update: 400m Times are in.
1st place MFT "buzz bomb" with a 10.493
2nd place KMW with a 10.5 even
3rd place Katana with a 11.102 (replaced with larger turbo)

Handling times are in
1st is MFT with a 1,22.387
2nd is Kmw with a 1,23.387
3rd is Katana with 1,24.481 (smaller turbo)
1,25.568 (larger turbo)

Verdict: The MFT and KMW tunes are both excellent. I will continue my testing with these two tunes to find the best combo of the two. As for the Katana tune, I had not realized this but as the tuner pointed out to me this tune was made to be jgtc competative(sp?) not a maxed out track car. When i took it out with the larger turbo applied it showed a propensity to produce massive amounts of wheelspin when exiting the corners. after a while I was able to control it enough to drift it enough to keep from spinning. I will continue testing with the katana tune as well as the MFT and KMW but by the way its looking the Katana may be advised to be left alone for the fact of its just great. I dont think for sure that i can combine even two of these tunes successfully let alone all three but i will try.

Last edited:
I dont think for sure that i can combine even two of these tunes successfully let alone all three but i will try.

You're exactly correct in thinking that. Every car is tuned as a complete package - the brakes work with the suspension which works with the power figure which works with the gearbox which works with the LSD which works with the tyres which work with the downforce... which works with the brakes.

Some setups are pushed so close to the limits that even one click of damper can turn grippy full throttle second gear corner exits into wheelspin festivals. You can't take one part from here, one part from there and expect it to work. It'll only work when you've again matched everything to everything and by that time it's a new tune altogether.

I took all of the cars to trial mountain and the times posted are the best of my own and b-spec bob's times. I will say even though MFT's tune had lower times KMW's tune was alot easier to drive smoothly. I will keep all three tunes and work on my own tune. And I have realized as Greycap has said a combination of these cars would actually render any specific tuning useless. But it was fun doing this comparison. Although I would still like to have MFT and KMW team up as a sort of "parting gift" to gt4 with the impending release of gt5. I am saddened that I arrived here at :gtplanet: so late in the life of gt4 but I plan on sticking around for gt5 and whatever pd has in store for us after gt5.

IMHO, there's no point in enlarging the team now that there's only a month left. Besides, we've always been a dynamic duo, and that's how it shall stay to the glorious end.

IMHO, there's no point in enlarging the team now that there's only a month left. Besides, we've always been a dynamic duo, and that's how it shall stay to the glorious end.

I dont mean enlarging your crew. Im talking about teaming up for one truly epic tune.

If you're interested in combining, check out the GT4 Tuners Club in the groups section where we all put our minds together to crack the mystery that is the fully worked 888hp S5 turbo Supra and still haven't worked it out.

Im talking about teaming up for one truly epic tune.

Let me ask one question as the MFT RX-7 already won both the quarter mile sprint and the lap time comparison. Using my logic there's no point to team up for better results because MFT in its current form already seems to outperform what we should team up with. So are there any good reasons for doing it? If there are I can't see them.

About the Supra, I doubt anyone can crack it. It has a very wrongly modelled engine (no proper top end peak even with a Stage 4 turbo but way too much low range torque), front tyres that only grip longitudinally and not latitudinally, and rear tyres that do the exact opposite thing so it won't turn into the corner when entering and shows no signs of grip when exiting.

If someone from the group could invite me in and give me the details on the Supra I can certainly try to help. I already have a few Supra's. Actually, all of them I believe.

Let me ask one question as the MFT RX-7 already won both the quarter mile sprint and the lap time comparison. Using my logic there's no point to team up for better results because MFT in its current form already seems to outperform what we should team up with. So are there any good reasons for doing it? If there are I can't see them.

About the Supra, I doubt anyone can crack it. It has a very wrongly modelled engine (no proper top end peak even with a Stage 4 turbo but way too much low range torque), front tyres that only grip longitudinally and not latitudinally, and rear tyres that do the exact opposite thing so it won't turn into the corner when entering and shows no signs of grip when exiting.

Well that was... brutal. :lol: "Outperform" might be a strong word to be used, but the thing your saying is quite true, when it comes to lap times.

I agree about the Supra. It just cannot be fixed with tuning. And the wheelspin is always horrible, doesn't matter what you do. :ouch:

Out perform is a strong word to use in this case as I personally prefer the kmw tune as it is smoother.

Out perform is a strong word to use in this case as I personally prefer the kmw tune as it is smoother.

Really? Hilarious. You're NTSC, MFT's setup understeers like a pig at the limit, if KMWs feels more stable you're probably driving the car too softly into the corner and throttling out well under the limit of the front tires...

And this means that my setup is likely to make you very dead very quickly.

As I have been saying before every driver is different and therefore different tunes are needed to satiisfy their needs and desires as drivers. What works for me may not work for you. But, I have also stated before that where the mft tune was blindingly quick and unstable the kmw is MORE CONSISTANT in my hands. If your running say a 200 lap race yeah sure it looks good in qualifying to do two laps and run a great time but with out consistancy in the latter parts of the race your gonna run into problems. I would much rather have a car that I can run 50 laps and know what its gonna do next for me. Quite frankly a car that puts down ONE good lap isnt worth a damn unless it can do it again to me. I.E. If my laps are more consistant with one tune and I know it wont throw me into a wall halfway through the race causing me to lose or in real life DIE im seriously going to choose the tune im more comfortable with. Now, I did this comparison for fun not to get flamed because I dont drive like everyone else. Put Micheal Shumacher in any other F1 drivers car and he wont be as good as he will in his car because itsnot to his spec. this applies to any racing or even everyday driving. Also, I was having a major issue with understeer which was only mildy cured by lifting off and goosing the gas again.

Last edited:
If MFT's tune feels unstable for you... My condolences.

Should be posting mine within the next few hours most likely, perhaps sooner. I'd like to see your take on it as, erm, it's a bit deadly next to MFT's setup. For me it's around a full second faster than my best run with MFT's tune on an average lap, and 1.5-1.7s faster on a very good lap.

It's been toned down to the point of me being able to drive it. Which means you shouldn't have any problems... Although there's that slight problem of the NTSC vs PAL differences which will likely make it worse.

It's not Porsche-deadly, but there's plenty of ways to die.

Now when we look back at the comparison...
Usually a tune made using a wheel is harder to drive and one made with a DS2 tends to understeer more but is easier to handle.
...did I guess or did I guess.

It goes like that in almost every case, the main reason probably being that the wheel tune is usually made with much finer steering input in mind and the large, quick movements characteristic to driving with a pad tend to upset the car. On the other hand a tune created with a pad has been made stable enough to tolerate those movements but often ends up being reluctant to turn when driven with a wheel as it needs more input than what feels natural.

Last edited:
*waits for it*

Lemme know how it goes.

I've got a few things goin on right now so it may be a few days. My back porch's roof caved in so me and my dad have been fixing that so i havent been able to play gt4 in the last few days.

update: a night of debauchery some how scored me pics and a car i dont recognize in my drive. the pic is below.
picture.php

Last edited:
I've been playing around with the Supra RZ. Its brutally torque filled. I have managed to atleast make it do a lap without hitting the kitty litter or completly spinning around at trial mountain. If i can make it a little more controlable I will post it. I will warn you though the way it looks no matter who drives it, you WILL have to practice throttle control. I've personally got it to where it doesnt just spin all the way up to sixth but, Its running a SUPER high gearing which im still working on. Auto is set to 22 and raising.

the supra has kinda bumped it off the top. oops. THis supra has me obsessing over throttle and brake control. I've found it is controlable provided you dont have a lead foot. The RX-7 tune will be tested soon enough. But if the RX-7 is any more tame than the supra It should be fairly easy to handle in comparison. Even blackbird evo is waaayyyyyy easier to drive.

I agree about the Supra. It just cannot be fixed with tuning. And the wheelspin is always horrible, doesn't matter what you do. :ouch:

I think I may have come quite close. Ive gotten it to the point that it only spins before 3rd gear. But, 2nd can be used with less throttle input(~50%). I will hopefuly get it done in the next few days or even more excitingly few hours.

@RJ- Your RX-7 tune wasnot deadly unless you can die from having too much fun. It sets time perfectly in between The mft and kmw tunes. I like it but after driving the Supra Its far from deadly to me.

Last edited:
Back