Want to get the X1 but....

Multiplatform titles aren't going to be much different so thats something you shouldnt really worry about. We probably have some years before GT7 comes out as well, so you could just start saving now :P

Unless its a digital download, its always going to be off disc.

VXR
You only use the discs for installing to the console for the first time and then to authenticate you own the game there after. It's not reading from disc in gameplay.

@TheCrazySwede mentioned that his optical drive acts up so I'm assuming he's having difficulty installing games.

I know games are not read off the disc once you install then, only authentication is required initially.

How many people do you know who've had issues with the optical drive or problems installing/running games off the disc?

@ImaRobot Shucks I ain't waiting that long! My X1 + both Forzas purchase is almost around the corner. Almost. :D

VXR
You only use the discs for installing to the console for the first time and then to authenticate
you own the game there after. It's not reading from disc in gameplay
Being entirely lazy and picky, it'd be nice if we could play F5 minus the disc after the first install (which
would verify the purchase)

Being entirely lazy and picky, it'd be nice if we could play F5 minus the disc after the first install (which
would verify the purchase)

Yes, but I can see people trying to take advantage of that too.. you know disc sharing and all, so it's a good thing MS did the disc-mandatory thing even it it's installed. Was the case with the X360 too.

In other related news: can't friggin' WAIT to get my console + FM5!!! :cheers:

@TheCrazySwede mentioned that his optical drive acts up so I'm assuming he's having difficulty installing games.

The optical drive issue my XBone has doesn't affect discs that are already inside and spinning.
The issue is with putting the disc in and getting it to read. It'll be stubborn about it, so you'll have to eject and insert the disc back in a few times. Once the disc reads, it has no problems reading the information off of the disc. I suppose the issue is only present when swapping discs.

Few consoles have this issue, so don't let the idea of it put you off...the console works great otherwise.

The optical drive issue my XBone has doesn't affect discs that are already inside and spinning.
The issue is with putting the disc in and getting it to read. It'll be stubborn about it, so you'll have to eject and insert the disc back in a few times. Once the disc reads, it has no problems reading the information off of the disc. I suppose the issue is only present when swapping discs.

Few consoles have this issue, so don't let the idea of it put you off...the console works great otherwise.

Sweet. And can you comment on the NTSC/PAL matter please?

I.e. I'll be getting a PAL manufactured console; I should be able to download free FM5 car and track DLC from US X-Live servers, yeah?

Sweet. And can you comment on the NTSC/PAL matter please?

I.e. I'll be getting a PAL manufactured console; I should be able to download free FM5 car and track DLC from US X-Live servers, yeah?

Yes, the XBox One is region free. That means if you buy a console in Europe, you'll be able to buy a disc from the US, play it and download DLC from your country and use it. The only time this is an exception is when DLC, themselves, have regional restrictions. Otherwise, there are no manufacturer based regional locks on the X1.

Yes, the XBox One is region free. That means if you buy a console in Europe, you'll be able to buy a disc from the US, play it and download DLC from your country and use it. The only time this is an exception is when DLC, themselves, have regional restrictions. Otherwise, there are no manufacturer based regional locks on the X1.

Woo hoo hooo then!

Forza DLC has no regional restriction I'm assuming...

I have an XBone from the first batch of them in North America and mine has some problems with the optical drive. I haven't taken it apart yet to figure out what's going on, but it seems as if the disc doesn't get seated properly or the mechanics inside don't engage in time....
After a couple of re-inserts of the disc, the game will finally read.

Never the less, I believe Microsoft compensates those with such systems with a new console and a free downloadable game. I didn't contact them because I couldn't be less bothered.
I had this problem. My sons launch day stopped reading disks. Sometimes a hard reset would fix it. I wasn't sent a new console or a free game. I had a very difficult time getting a replacement from them and then it had the same problem. The only thing either would play were downloaded games and both ending up needing to be unplugged about every use to get them to reboot and work at all. I finally after dealing with support and being told I was out of warranty and they would charge me to fix it, traded it and all games and accessories in on a ps4. I was 2 days out of warranty.

Woo hoo hooo then!

Forza DLC has no regional restriction I'm assuming...

That's the idea. I pre-ordered my copy of pCars Limited Ed. from Germany, so we'll see how that goes....

I had this problem. My sons launch day stopped reading disks. Sometimes a hard reset would fix it. I wasn't sent a new console or a free game. I had a very difficult time getting a replacement from them and then it had the same problem. The only thing either would play were downloaded games and both ending up needing to be unplugged about every use to get them to reboot and work at all. I finally after dealing with support and being told I was out of warranty and they would charge me to fix it, traded it and all games and accessories in on a ps4. I was 2 days out of warranty.

Sorry 'bout your poor experience with the X1. I think it has to do with the way the disc gets seated/engaged. If I try to insert a disc a couple of times and it won't read, I would move the X1 a little, re-insert the disc and it would usually work. If it wouldn't work after moving the X1, I would insert the disc, eject it immediately and pop it back in real quick before the console has a chance to catch its breath...usually works 90% of the time.

Once the disc is in there and is able to read once, it never has a problem. Just a hassle when switching games. Heck, as long as it works, I suppose....

That's the idea. I pre-ordered my copy of pCars Limited Ed. from Germany, so we'll see how that goes....

Sorry 'bout your poor experience with the X1. I think it has to do with the way the disc gets seated/engaged. If I try to insert a disc a couple of times and it won't read, I would move the X1 a little, re-insert the disc and it would usually work. If it wouldn't work after moving the X1, I would insert the disc, eject it immediately and pop it back in real quick before the console has a chance to catch its breath...usually works 90% of the time.

Once the disc is in there and is able to read once, it never has a problem. Just a hassle when switching games. Heck, as long as it works, I suppose....

I wonder what percentage of X1 users experience this on a regular basis...

Back