Portland, OR
Live25
The Rules
US-made
FR layout
Pre-1980
700PP or less
Sports or Comfort tires
Either of the Long Course options at Watkins Glen are allowed (to provide for the custom shop vehicles), but must remain at 700PP or less

The Categories
Best Lap
Best Time
Best Lap: Make & Model
Best Overall: Make & Model

The intent is for this competition to never really end, so times can continually be improved upon.

Suggestions
Are welcomed and encouraged for changes to the format. This is supposed to be fun and engaging for all who wish to participate.

Be patient with me as I put this all together, I’m still a novice at all this. Fortunately, as of the time of this edit, we currently have few actual entries.

Last edited:
Best Lap
Driver (forum name)CarTime

Best Overall
Driver (forum name)CarTime

Chevrolet Camaro Z28 ‘69
Best Lap
DriverTime
Best Overall
DriverTime

Dodge Challenger R/T ‘70
Best Lap
DriverTime
Best Overall
DriverTime

Eckert’s Mach Forty
Best Lap
DriverTime
Best Overall
DriverTime

Ford Mustang Boss 429 ‘69
Best Lap
DriverTime
Best Overall
DriverTime

Ford Mustang Mach 1 ‘71
Best Lap
DriverTime
Best Overall
DriverTime

Pontiac Firebird Trans-Am ‘78
Best Lap
DriverTime
Best Overall
DriverTime

Shelby Cobra 427 ‘66
Best Lap
DriverTime
Best Overall
DriverTime

Shelby G.T.350 ‘65
Best Lap
DriverTime
Best Overall
DriverTime

Last edited:
Such a nice little race, it's just too bad it doesn't pay anything... I could still see myself running this for fun though. Entered the GT40 MkI I'd been running at Sarthe/WTC 700 setup and did 9:40 total, but there is a LOT of time I lost. Pretty much have that car setup for fuel economy and top speed, so I'm guessing at least2-3sec/lap could be shaved off if I setup the gearbox properly and ran more aero.

Are you restricting yourself to a certain tire/PP level? I'd be down to tune some cars and competing for best times as it would be far more enjoyable than anything else going on in the game right now.

This track is brilliant. Not the most lucrative but as far as grinds go I'd happily.do.the WTC800 Event at Watkins Glen for 200K rather than Sardegna for 700K+.

The circuit just flows incredibly. Someone drew a comparison to Catalunya - maybe at a quick glance visually, but to drive it Watkins Glen is infinitely more enjoyable. Fast and flowing, lapping repeatedly to connect the corners and nail the apexes is so satisfying.

I kinda wish the payout was high enough to be worth doing the race more than once and that they actually restricted it to 700 PP. When I saw I could run the race with the Tomahawk I got it over with and moved on.
Yeah even the WTC 800 at Watkins is less than half of Sardegna while still taking 75% as much time. That's two updates in a row where the races they've added have been 1/2 or less of the Tokyo/Sarthe/Sardegna trio, so I really think it's just a matter of time before they nerf those events for the sake of "parity". Glad I've already bought nearly all the cars as I don't see credit earning getting any better as the game goes forward.
The circuit just flows incredibly. Someone drew a comparison to Catalunya - maybe at a quick glance visually, but to drive it Watkins Glen is infinitely more enjoyable. Fast and flowing, lapping repeatedly to connect the corners and nail the apexes is so satisfying.
It really is a fantastic circuit, I'll give them props for adding it. I intend to make this my new trial/tuning course instead of Brands Hatch since it's got a little bit of everything: high speed corners, straights, low/mid-speed corners, elevation change, and a chicane while being a sub-2min lap for all but lower end road cars. Satisfying is a good way of putting it as it does feel nice when you tie all those corners together. Flows wonderfully. I guess Watkins is legendary for a reason (though I mainly know about it from Grateful Dead and Allman Brothers shows, not so much racing, lol)

Yeah even the WTC 800 at Watkins is less than half of Sardegna while still taking 75% as much time. That's two updates in a row where the races they've added have been 1/2 or less of the Tokyo/Sarthe/Sardegna trio, so I really think it's just a matter of time before they nerf those events for the sake of "parity". Glad I've already bought nearly all the cars as I don't see credit earning getting any better as the game goes forward.

It really is a fantastic circuit, I'll give them props for adding it. I intend to make this my new trial/tuning course instead of Brands Hatch since it's got a little bit of everything: high speed corners, straights, low/mid-speed corners, elevation change, and a chicane while being a sub-2min lap for all but lower end road cars. Satisfying is a good way of putting it as it does feel nice when you tie all those corners together. Flows wonderfully. I guess Watkins is legendary for a reason (though I mainly know about it from Grateful Dead and Allman Brothers shows, not so much racing, lol)
Yes, if anything - Brands is a much better comparison.

I must confess I knew nothing about it as a Brit but it's definitely moving into my S-Tier for circuits. It's actually fun!

Such a nice little race, it's just too bad it doesn't pay anything... I could still see myself running this for fun though. Entered the GT40 MkI I'd been running at Sarthe/WTC 700 setup and did 9:40 total, but there is a LOT of time I lost. Pretty much have that car setup for fuel economy and top speed, so I'm guessing at least2-3sec/lap could be shaved off if I setup the gearbox properly and ran more aero.

Are you restricting yourself to a certain tire/PP level? I'd be down to tune some cars and competing for best times as it would be far more enjoyable than anything else going on in the game right now.
I did my runs at 700 cause that was the recommendation, but slapping on a sports tire requirement could be fun too. I’m still trying to get the hang of no TCS down.

Even since playing it on project cars I've wanted Watkins Glen in GT and what a nice surprise it was, I've ran all 3 events at least twice and will continue to try new cars around this gem, the payouts don't even bother me as it is so much fun.

It's like the track is made for American muscle cars with insane power, drifting through most of it and enjoying every minute of it.

Road America next please PD 🙏

Yes!! I'd love to see Road America in GT7. Love that track as well. I finished the events at The Glen and will run them all again with different cars. That track is so much fun!

I'd also love to see Virginia Motor Speedway, Riverside Motor Speedway, and Circuit of The America's... LOL!!

So I'm thinking at least pre-1980, no racing tires and a restriction in the 6-700 range. Thoughts?

EDIT: American-built FR also
700PP, SH tyres and pre-1980 sounds like a great challenge. I'm up for that!

EDIT: would the Chevy Nova and the Wicked Fab both count as pre-1980??

Last edited:
Love the idea of this. I've recently come across a multitude of Coyote engines so I'll be taking a swapped Mach 1 out on track sometime soon!
I haven’t swapped a V8 yet, but in the Australian Touring Car Masters, those Mustangs are running close to 700hp. The big Falcon coupes were running over 700. We can only get 519bhp from the 429 and 425bhp from the Mach 1. Hope we can tune the Coyote to 600bhp+.

I like praianos 89 Corvette 700 tune on Laguna seca, imagine it's decent, probably better on this track actually, as can use its power more...

Sounds amazing, recommend trying it if you haven't!

700PP, SH tyres and pre-1980 sounds like a great challenge. I'm up for that!

EDIT: would the Chevy Nova and the Wicked Fab both count as pre-1980??
There's a Nova available? If it's made in the US and has a date code prior to 1980, I guess it's eligible!

I kinda wish the payout was high enough to be worth doing the race more than once and that they actually restricted it to 700 PP. When I saw I could run the race with the Tomahawk I got it over with and moved on.
No one says you have to enter a Tomahawk just because you can. Try a 650 PP car instead, and maybe you would enjoy it more.

No one says you have to enter a Tomahawk just because you can. Try a 650 PP car instead, and maybe you would enjoy it more.
It's more a complaint of how they keep adding events with such small payouts that they don't feel worth the time when the handful of cars I have left to buy all cost 13-20 million credits each. I don't expect to be able to get them all in a month, but it feels like a slap in the face to get events where the prize money you get for winning is less than it costs to buy tires and a couple tuning parts to set up a car to enter them.

It's more a complaint of how they keep adding events with such small payouts that they don't feel worth the time when the handful of cars I have left to buy all cost 13-20 million credits each. I don't expect to be able to get them all in a month, but it feels like a slap in the face to get events where the prize money you get for winning is less than it costs to buy tires and a couple tuning parts to set up a car to enter them.
I totally share your concern, but personally I try not to get blinded by the economy aspect of the game. I cannot bring myself to repeat WTC700 at Le Mans etc. all the time.

And whilst not everyone wants to do it, that's tge beauty of afk. No issues just focusing on daily races, or repeating random menu races, customs etc as can still accumulate all the cars without any anxiety around not being able to afford any cars you want.

Not ideal I know, but for me it enhances my enjoyment of tge game.

If you will qualify this I take no issue with your entry!

746F88B1-4069-441B-B81C-57566CFF873A.jpeg

85DD15C5-76F7-4C48-90BA-96F54934ECD2.jpeg
I haven’t swapped a V8 yet, but in the Australian Touring Car Masters, those Mustangs are running close to 700hp. The big Falcon coupes were running over 700. We can only get 519bhp from the 429 and 425bhp from the Mach 1. Hope we can tune the Coyote to 600bhp+.
First car I raced at The Glen was in my swapped Mach I, restricted to 700 of course.
AF0D2E4D-50A3-4899-8DD3-ACD294067F7C.jpeg

For those who have expressed interest. Here’s a sample format.

ClubmanCup 700 event at Watkins Glen
Pre-1980 American-made FR (to include CHC Nova, Eckert’s Mach Forty, RS Roadster & Wicked GT; swapped engines OK)
Sports tires
2 classes (600/700) or 1 class (650), you guys decide
Best Lap and Best Overall to start, if this gets big enough, we’ll do best of both PER MODEL also

650 restriction in place (bonus points for whoever identifies that livery, hint: they are an active forum member):

46225F7D-543D-474D-857C-C08B891C00BB.jpeg

E123ED80-0856-4E3A-BADC-9513D5B16805.jpeg

EAC2DFF7-1E5C-4A57-B7FC-D4AAF7B99CBE.jpeg

NOTE: Tuning sheets will not be required, that will be entirely up to you to submit.

Welp, I lost, mostly because I’ve never driven the Cobra before. This competetion will have to rely on the honor system. If you cheat, the only one who will know is you, but if you’re cool running around with BS bragging rights, because that’s the only prize here.

341CC7BC-BDEE-4DF8-A506-781E2445245A.jpeg
569912AE-5D17-46E4-A95E-7F6B9ED8C3B0.jpeg

I would love to get this up and running ASAP. So for those interested, your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Back