Wave Race Might Be Coming To Switch

• Thread starter Robin
  • 3 comments

Robin

Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
large.jpg

A game that needs no introduction, the developer of Wave Race has hinted that the series might be coming to Switch soon.

NintendoLife
Given its long and proud history, it goes without saying that Nintendo is sitting atop a mighty goldmine of IP, much of which lies dormant at the present moment in time.

One such sleeping series is Wave Race, which began life on the Game Boy back in 1992; it might not be one of the most popular franchises Nintendo has worked on, having just three entries, but its is nevertheless beloved by fans.

Speaking to Fandom at the BAFTAs, where Nintendo scooped three awards, General Manager of EPD Shinya Takahashi - who worked on both Wave Race 64 or Wave Race: Blue Storm - was asked about the possibility of Wave Race making a return.

He said: "You may see that game again. We have been trying to make many games and that may be one of them … I personally love Wave Race!"

Back in 2016, Nintendo applied to renew the Wave Race trademark in Europe. Takahashi's comments suggest that we could see this series getting revived sooner rather than later - perhaps it will be one of Nintendo's announcements at E3? Or maybe he's talking about a re-release of Wave Race 64 or Wave Race: Blue Storm on Switch?

It's not exactly a confirmation but it's highly likely that this isn't just talk, why would he after all these years hint at another installment to the franchise? Plus with the Switch doing so well and this kind of game perfect for portable 'pick up and play' scenarios I could see it being a reality.

Fond memories of Wave Race for sure. They could do so much with a new game and motion controls.

Nintendo and racing usually don't bring too many good memories, unless you're talking about the Mario Kart games. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see Wave Race return just to spice up the racing/driving lineup of the Switch. I played Wave Race 64 on a kiosk before, and I've seen some videos on WR64. It would be great seeing the series hit the Switch. The last Wave Race I remember was some extreme style game on the Gamecube.

I played Wave Race 64 a lot back in the day. I loved the feeling of the water, the graphics and the sound. It was special.
I played and enjoyed the sequel quite a bit too although I didn't gel with it as I did with WR64.

I would love the series to return, along with F Zero :)

Actually, the Wave Race series dates back even further than Wave Race 64. I once read the Wave Race games date back to some of the earlier times of the Gameboy/Game Boy. So it isn't like WR64 was the first in the series. It's been around. To me, a possible reason for the potential return of the Wave Race series could be to take advantage of the whole Nintendo Labo thing. Imagine jet skiing like a boss in this possible return of Wave Race.

One other thing about Wave Race 64 was the licensing of Kawasaki. I doubt (hypothetical name) "Wave Race Switch" would have licensing of Kawasaki or any other producer of watercraft (such as Sea-Doo). Even the Wii Shop remake of Wave Race 64 reportedly didn't have licensing of Kawasaki, if I recall correctly.

This post isn't about F-Zero, but I do tend to agree with trying to bring back Wave Race 64 and/or F-Zero. So I can agree with you on that front, MrCrynox.

Back