Week 19: Mazda Again?

• Thread starter Kent
  • 367 comments
not much time left and i havent used the gt yet, only the viper so im stuck whether to get half a second of my viper time which i know i can its just a matter of time. or i could get the gt and use that....guess ill be racing through the night to get this done.

T1 - 18.016 best, 18.403 current
T1-T2 sector is practically the best i can do, then i loose .3 on hairpin and the end is perfecr. I can catch the time i know i can!!!

MinorShunt
Very nice Z! Looks like we will go down to the wire! :)
I'm not getting any real joy out of the GT, so I'm stickin' with the Viper to the bitter end. :crazy:

BTW my best clean Viper T3 is now 53.119. I had a 52.927 but really screwed up the last turn, so......hope I will get to make one more run tonite!

And so, back at you again sir! :sly: Been fun racin' with you this week! 👍

Well, well.. had a feeling I'd log on and find something like this. Nice T3 there! Myself.. I get little pleasure from the GT also, though it is faster. One clip of the rumble and you're spinnin'. I can't seem to just stab the throttle for grip like I can in the Viper, so I'll be stickin' it out with you in that car, but will probably submit times for both cars just for fun. Might try to get in some C5-R and Camaro runs, but only if I can reach a certain second barrier I'm after in the other cars.

My current Viper time is ~.15 faster than my GT time, though.. so either I really suck at driving the GT or I had an awesome T3 -> Finish in the Viper. Or both. Also, the Viper seems worlds apart from the GT in terms of corkscrew stability. The GT hits this little dip at the bottom of it and it usually sends me off to the left if I carry enough speed. The Viper can almost be thrown through that corner. Maybe I've got my braking points in the GT messed up -- they do appear to be a few feet different than in the Viper with the extra MPH (especially @ T2).

Will see what I can turn in before the night's up. Pleasure racing with you this week. 👍

-S

Z.
I get little pleasure from the GT also, though it is faster. One clip of the rumble and you're spinnin'. I can't seem to just stab the throttle for grip like I can in the Viper.

Exactly the reason why im not using it, spins way easier than the viper, and when you get a good lap in the Viper it feels great :D

Z.
Might try to get in some C5-R and Camaro runs, but only if I can reach a certain second barrier I'm after in the other cars.

I hope you get it Z! I'm shooting for the same one, and I know that we're so very close to achieving it. :)

MS

Kent
Just wanted to drop in and give you all a heads-up.

Basically, today was my first day back to school and it is going to kill my time. :(

This will be my last week as a WRS organizer.
(:( for me)
( :cheers: for many of you ) :lol:

My class schedule has me in new orleans at 8 am tuesday and thursday. :irked:

That means tomorrow the results will be posted in the late afternoon. :indiff:

Sorry for the problem this will create but don't worry, CFM is on point.👍

Anyway, good luck in the race, talk to you all tomorrow. 👍
Till then,
-

Sorry to hear that Kent, I know it's always a balancing act between real-life responsibilities and the voluntary jobs we do for fun (this is fun for you, right? ;) )

On behalf of everyone here, thanks for putting up with the WRS and I hope you'll still be able to drop in now and again. 👍

Now, on to the racing. After a long (and ultimately frustrating) session last night, I've come up with these splits:

Ford GT.
Top speed 280

T1: 18.220 :yuck:
T2: 35.072
T3: 53.427

.3 faster at the line.

I have seen a 34.7xx at T2 but it was possibly "wind assisted", given that I went off the road at the kink.

I finally tried the gearing at 280, which does seem to be faster. But somehow it makes the GT much more twitchy which almost negates the benefit of the closer gearing. On the run down from the corkscrew the car is much more stable with gearing at 350 km/h :confused:

got some new tmes

34.485 (dont think its possible to get any faster there)
52.595 (made a .2 sec mistake at the corkscrew)

bet my time by .07, will probably submit it

I won't be able to compete for awhile, I am moving to college!:) I will try to compete whenever I can but I couldn't get a time in for this week, your lucky jumpputt!!!!

dan man... how in the hell are you getting into the 34'.4xxs
grrrr haha you got this weeks race in the bag

i cant even break 34'.6xx and i only get these when im lucky

but im gonna submit, getting frustrated with how hard the lap is

I finally reached the goal I wanted to hit this week, but now it looks like I'm still another .2-.3 off of what I can do. So I'm going to keep pushing until I get it.

My best times so far are:

T1: 17.975
T2: 34.786
T3: 53.080 (lost at least .2 in the corkscrew)

And I finally got my max drive, so I'm verifying this week!!!

Lewie you're almost exactly 1 sec. faster for each split.I'm done..weary...tired. Spent all evening and found only 2 tenths. I"ve just been chasing my ghost, waiting for him to make a mistake...this lap...next lap surly he'll fall off the track ! Upon receiving the relevation that it was unlikely he would falter, I quit. Goodnight

I sure have some 5 hours ahead of racing today since im not gonna work tomorrow. And i will just sleep after i break the mid-second barrier, hotboi and holl01 probably know aboput what barrier im talking about. :)

Its a tough week too, laguna is always a tricky racetrack to go a "trackday".

Just got into the 52's. Hit the corkscrew really well, but lost a good 0.2 in the last two corners :ouch: . Submitting these (in the GT):

T1 - 18.092 (saw 17.942) 👎
T2 - 35.044 (saw 34.775) 👎
T3 - 52.988 👍

Was kinda satisfied that I got to the 52's, but was really disappointed since I left a good 0.5 out there that I knew I could get 👎 . Saw countless 17.9's at T1/34.8's at T2, just couldn't get consistent and ran out of time :yuck: . Didn't get to that "barrier" either, missed it by about....;) . Good luck to everyone still going out there!

VTRacing
Sorry to hear that Kent, I know it's always a balancing act between real-life responsibilities and the voluntary jobs we do for fun (this is fun for you, right? ;) )

On behalf of everyone here, thanks for putting up with the WRS and I hope you'll still be able to drop in now and again. 👍

I appreciate that greatly.

However, please let me remind you that you shouldn't speak for other people. ;)

I know there are a few out there, but I know that most of the GT4 newbs just plain out and flat don't like me.

Understandable though... I confront problematic situations with frank discussion and direct questioning.

Most people don't like that and I understand.

Questioning a person's character and questioning there actions are two different things... Some people just don't seem to see it that way.

Oh well. :indiff:

Anyway,
I really do appreciate the words you have to say. :bowdown:
I just can't tell you how much they actually mean... And not just from you but from all the people who honestly appreciate all that "we" do to keep this series going. :bowdown:

Again, I thank you and all the others... You all know who you are. :bowdown:

Until next time,
-Kent

Kent
This will be my last week as a WRS organizer.
(:( for me)
( :cheers: for many of you ) :lol:

Sad to hear you are leaving us, Kent (and for the second time)
I can say though that I am one of the many others that are left out of the second set of parentheses - in other words I have always enjoyed your combos 👍 :cheers:
(not that this means I dislike CFM's)

I guess you could not have picked a best way of leaving us - this week's been a blast. I think I have never put so many hours and laps into a race like I did this week.

Hopefully we will be hearing from you again and you will still entertain us with some other good track+car(s) selection every now and then.

Good luck with your college/university/whatever work 👍

The Wizard.

Lewie
My best times so far are:

T1: 17.975
T2: 34.786
T3: 53.080 (lost at least .2 in the corkscrew)

And I finally got my max drive, so I'm verifying this week!!!
Haha, VERIFY INTO D1! Lol, your splits are way faster than my fast ones ever were when I was considered fast and still in D3... Dayum man, is that in the GT though? Maybe that's why... Killer splits man! I don't know if I have it in me tonight to get the .3-.5 I have left in my Viper lap, for some reason I'm still feeling tired and have a slight headache... Which sucks, because, I know it's in there. We'll see if I manage anything before 6AM PST.

Kent im with VTracing on this one 👍

I think some people forget you, Todd and Boom run/ran the WRS voulantarly and with out pay. It takes up hours and hours of your time each week. For that i appreciate and thank you guys 👍

I wish others would think about that next time before they write paragraphs on how crap the combos are, then turn around and ask Kent, Todd to do "their" combo.

Well... :bowdown:

Just remember y'all... I'm not leaving the GTP!!! :lol:

It will take more than what I've had to deal with here to push me away from the GTP.

School is the reason I've gotta stop organizing races- that's all. :lol:

Chances are good that I will race more and be more involved than in the past.
If you think this means I will be gone than you are in trouble. :mischievous:

Now I'm going to be an average normal racer. :D

Anyway, I'm just saying...

Thank you :bowdown:
As I said before, you all know who I am directing this to (especially if you are one of them). ;)

Almost every last person I have dealt with in the WRS has been a great person to know.

I am proud of that and garuntee that it is what will keep me around- whether you like it or not, I'm not going anywhere. :mischievous: :lol:

MinorShunt
I hope you get it Z! I'm shooting for the same one, and I know that we're so very close to achieving it. :)

MS

So, I'm still a little off that barrier I'm trying to hit, but we have the exact same T3 now. 53.119 in the Viper. Since I kinda got shaky on entry to the final corner, I think I'll put in a little more time on this one.

@Puck: 52's.. :sigh: wait for me!

Good luck to everyone still runnin'.

Z.
So, I'm still a little off that barrier I'm trying to hit, but we have the exact same T3 now. 53.119 in the Viper. Since I kinda got shaky on entry to the final corner, I think I'll put in a little more time on this one.

@Puck: 52's.. :sigh: wait for me!

Good luck to everyone still runnin'.
Don't worry about it Z, when I said I blew the last two turns, I REALLY BLEW IT. That lap turned out to be only 0.05 faster than my previous best, which had a T3 of 53.171. So you still got some hope!! Get on it, lets see those 52's!!

Ha, WOW. I just switched from the 370 gearing to the 300 gearing... I should've stuck with it the first time I tried it out!!! It's noticeably quicker, I just pulled a 18.059 T1 without trying... Time to put together a lap! I will improve! Hey you guys running up there, I'm going to try and come with you, get down to 52's tonight... Wish me luck! And good luck to you all as well!!!

I just had a long session with the Viper but I could never get into my goal splits nor final lap time.

I have seen 17.9's, 34.7's, 53.0's, but I only got within 0.1 (or above) of my current best time.
In the last hour I could not even break 18.1's at T1. This is a signal that it's time to quit and leave Laguna Seca alone for quite some time ;)

I am going to have to submit what I have, knowing I left 0.5 on the track somewhere.

Good luck to all 👍

The Wizard.

Hm.. two laps later and now I'm satisfied as can be. Personal bests across the board and smashed the second barrier I was aiming for easily.

T1: 17.904
T2: 34.658
T3: 52.787

hOt6o4bOi
dan man... how in the hell are you getting into the 34'.4xxs
grrrr haha you got this weeks race in the bag

i cant even break 34'.6xx and i only get these when im lucky

but im gonna submit, getting frustrated with how hard the lap is

to get 34.4xx requires extreme luck, u have to hit every corner perfectly, only seen it once, and i got a superb drive out of the following fast left, i was a little nervous as i knew i was heading for a great lap, and as a result i broke to early for the corkscrew and had to improvise, but still enjoyed the combo and happy with my time, best one in a while 👍

thanks Kent for putting up a great effort in orgainising this wrs, u've done well :)

Time submitted, splits as previous.

I think like most people I feel I left some time out there but that's just the nature of the track. The knife-edge here is particularly sharp...

Good luck everyone. 👍

Dangit, just had a message typed up, then browser froze... Argh.

So yeah, I definitely agree about the knife-edge, although I've never used that terminology before. I'm going to call it a night as well, I only ended up getting another .05 on the final finish time after switching gears(ended up running 310), but that's better than nothing. T times improved a lil bit as well:

T1 18.070
T2 35.151
T3 53.241

Z.
Hm.. two laps later and now I'm satisfied as can be. Personal bests across the board and smashed the second barrier I was aiming for easily.

T1: 17.904
T2: 34.658
T3: 52.787

Damn you're fast! :lol: :lol:

Well, I think you got me this time Z. :ouch:
Here's my final splits, but it's nowhere as fast as it should be. I really hit a duck hook on the last sector. :yuck:

T1: 18.125
T2: 34.977
T3: 52.795

Submitted!

Thanks for all you've done Kent! I look forward to racin' with ya down the road! 👍

MS

MinorShunt
Damn you're fast! :lol: :lol:

Well, I think you got me this time Z. :ouch:
Here's my final splits, but it's nowhere as fast as it should be. I really hit a duck hook on the last sector. :yuck:

T1: 18.125
T2: 34.977
T3: 52.795

Submitted!

Thanks for all you've done Kent! I look forward to racin' with ya down the road! 👍

MS

Wow. Amazing T2 -> T3 yet again from you! Watching my lap again, I don't see where I lost .2, but damn that's a fast sector. See you got that 52 you were lookin' for as well, congrats. Can't wait to see how things shape up tomorrow.

Thanks, Kent. You've made this week a very fun one. 👍

Submitting..

I find it a shame that we had to use a car that has to be thrown down the corkscrew instead of driven, but hey.

Kent, i was initially shocked to see that you announced you were leaving, and no-one uttered a word, however having continued to read the thread i have since seen more utterances from those that count, and doubtless more to come.

You are hopefully aware of the respect i have always shown you, and i thank you for all the hard work you have selflessly done in the past.

Even if ive spent weex screaming at the combo you've managed to create and frustrate me with! :mischievous:

This weex was a prime example, as i found the only way to be fast, was to ridiculously throw myself round the track, and finally got a time that i couldnt beat if i drove respectfully on the racing line.

Anyway, good luck with what you are going to do, and i look forward to stacking up against you soon.

:irked:👍

Back