Weekly Challenge Discussion Thread

• Thread starter GlockPants
  • 3,921 comments
There's nothing you change in the tuning to make the cars as fast on the straight as the AI - but they are slower in the corners, so you have get past them there. The faster ones will probably pass you again on the straight, so it's a constant battle to stay in front of them!

I only managed to catch up with, and pass, P1 on the final corner of the last lap on this weekly challenge event....
Maintain the high revs to not slow down on exit of turns.

There's nothing you change in the tuning to make the cars as fast on the straight as the AI - but they are slower in the corners, so you have get past them there. The faster ones will probably pass you again on the straight, so it's a constant battle to stay in front of them!

I only managed to catch up with, and pass, P1 on the final corner of the last lap on this weekly challenge event....
and @sirjim73

When I get home I'll post my Suzuki Cappuccino tune. It handles these races pretty easily after being a little thoughtful with it the first time I attempted these races (it took a lot of trial and error). I even have higher speed in the straights!

Just tried with the nsx completely stock and medium tyres and even going really fast i was not able to win. Need to try with a more performing gr3 car and maybe change just the set up. Someone did it?
Can't see this atm. I tried with a tuned GT LM Test car at 750 PP ... a win was beyond my abilities. The leading Viper and Supra ran away from me, slowly but constantly.
I won easily with a detuned GT500 Nismo, but I still have to analyze the replay to see what lap times actually are necessary.

Edit : Check done

My rough calculation is that in a one stop race ( a pitstop roughly takes 30 sec ) you will have to run 1.44 - 1.45 laps for the win.
If you don't need to pit it's ( accordingly ) 1.47 - 1.48 laps.

Last edited:
Lightweight K-Cup with the Cappuccino. The tune isn't anything super fancy, I just threw parts at it.

18de1c9988781-screenshotUrl.jpg
18de1c9aeac15-screenshotUrl.jpg

Here's a VR replay of the race if you need a little guidance on your racing line. Not perfect, but got the job done with the CRB.

Ran through the Weekly challenges yesterday with these cars.

American Sunday Cup 600 (Road Atlanta) - GT40 Mark I '66 - Really enjoyed the race with this car. I guess @zaks did as well. Enjoyed this race so much I ran it again with the Corvette ZR1 (C6) '09

Tesla One Make (Nurburgring sprint) - This may be my least favorite race in the history of the Weekly Challenges. The Tesla felt like a big boat on this track, almost an insult to the track. I hate the fact that they keep pushing it on us. I wouldn't be disappointed if I never had to use this car in any racing game ever again. These events are the worst ever examples of product placement and horribly disguised advertising.

Lightweight K Cup (Maggiore East End Reverse) - Copen '02 - initially tried a quick tune of an S660 with just sports suspension and some extra power, and it was a disaster. Turns out you need some serious suspension tuning and some downforce to win this race. Ended up with a @praiano63 tune that I found. I'm now interested to try @GlockPants ' Cappucino tune as well as go back to my S660 and try my own tune with a little more effort. (FYI @sirjim73)

Porsche Cup 650 (Barcelona Cataluyna) - 911 GT1 Strassenversion '97 - Had this care sitting around in my garage for a while and never used it. Saw that @praiano63 had posted a tune for it. Really enjoyed it on this event. Curious now to see if I can make it work well in any 700pp events

WTC 800 (Watkins Glen) - Ford GT Race Car '18 - I really like the default livery on this car and it was underused in my garage. I had a tune with RS tires but downgraded to RM and it was a easy 1-stop win with a pit after lap 5 (As others mentioned, also got the 3-second pit lane penalty

This was a fun week of challenges, and I like the fact that we got all money prizes. (I find the "part" prizes to be one of the dumbest parts of the game - I don't think I've ever used a part that I won from a ticket, except engines.)

Ran through the Weekly challenges yesterday with these cars.

American Sunday Cup 600 (Road Atlanta) - GT40 Mark I '66 - Really enjoyed the race with this car. I guess @zaks did as well. Enjoyed this race so much I ran it again with the Corvette ZR1 (C6) '09

Tesla One Make (Nurburgring sprint) - This may be my least favorite race in the history of the Weekly Challenges. The Tesla felt like a big boat on this track, almost an insult to the track. I hate the fact that they keep pushing it on us. I wouldn't be disappointed if I never had to use this car in any racing game ever again. These events are the worst ever examples of product placement and horribly disguised advertising.

Lightweight K Cup (Maggiore East End Reverse) - Copen '02 - initially tried a quick tune of an S660 with just sports suspension and some extra power, and it was a disaster. Turns out you need some serious suspension tuning and some downforce to win this race. Ended up with a @praiano63 tune that I found. I'm now interested to try @GlockPants ' Cappucino tune as well as go back to my S660 and try my own tune with a little more effort. (FYI @sirjim73)

Porsche Cup 650 (Barcelona Cataluyna) - 911 GT1 Strassenversion '97 - Had this care sitting around in my garage for a while and never used it. Saw that @praiano63 had posted a tune for it. Really enjoyed it on this event. Curious now to see if I can make it work well in any 700pp events

WTC 800 (Watkins Glen) - Ford GT Race Car '18 - I really like the default livery on this car and it was underused in my garage. I had a tune with RS tires but downgraded to RM and it was a easy 1-stop win with a pit after lap 5 (As others mentioned, also got the 3-second pit lane penalty

This was a fun week of challenges, and I like the fact that we got all money prizes. (I find the "part" prizes to be one of the dumbest parts of the game - I don't think I've ever used a part that I won from a ticket, except engines.)
I'd highly appreciate if you gave us a bit more info bout the specs of your Ford GT RC ? Thanks in advance, mate. 👍

I'd highly appreciate if you gave us a bit more info bout the specs of your Ford GT RC ? Thanks in advance, mate. 👍
Hey @ROCKET JOE ,

I used a very slightly modified version of this tune for the Ford RC.

As I mentioned in my post I used RM tires

I don't like fully maxed out ARB or damper settings, so I set both front and rear ARB to 9 instead of 10, and I lowered the Damping (expansion) from 50 to 48, also on both front and rear.

With reducing to RM tires, the PP comes in at 781.xx, but it's still a fairly easy win.

If you find it too stiff you could probably lower these a bit more.

I went back and did Road Atlanta with a GT350 on SS tires that came in at 600.43 pp so I let it slide as close enough. Absolutely ate everything on the track. Really really fun race. It you have that car I highly suggest it. Super fun.
Would you mind sharing your tune for the GT350?

I'm not yet good enough the beat the 800PP on a level playing field.
I tried a no-stop RH with the Porsche Gr3 ending up 5th.
Swithced than to my go-to Sauber Mercedes C9, detuned, and won by 50s.
Need to find something in the middle to make this kind of race more enjoyable

The final race was nice with a stock Pagani Zonta R with FM3 tires RH and one stop for the win!!
They must add more races with specific cars like track only Supercars - Hypercars (Pagani Zonda R Ferrari La Ferrari FXX etc)
It would be intersting!!!!

zjn
A stock Gr.3 car should be able to win with a 1 stop. When I've done this race, I use the RM tires and FM1 and pit at the end of Lap 5 for new RM and fuel.

I suspect trying to no-stop the race with fuel management will compromise your lap times too much. I'm curious how you'd place with this strategy, I also use the Porsche RSR for the WTC800 events.

A detuned Gr.2 would also win easily. Any of the newer GT500 cars or the CLK-LM, if you have any.

zjn
Soft tires give you the pace to roll corners so fast. One stop and it's possible. You def have to be consistent but you don't have to be blindingly fast.

A stock Gr.3 car should be able to win with a 1 stop. When I've done this race, I use the RM tires and FM1 and pit at the end of Lap 5 for new RM and fuel.

I suspect trying to no-stop the race with fuel management will compromise your lap times too much. I'm curious how you'd place with this strategy, I also use the Porsche RSR for the WTC800 events.

A detuned Gr.2 would also win easily. Any of the newer GT500 cars or the CLK-LM, if you have any.

Soft tires give you the pace to roll corners so fast. One stop and it's possible. You def have to be consistent but you don't have to be blindingly fast.
You are talking about me, this is my best impersonation of alien driver
1708945520733.png

being serious...
I think I'm quite good in tyres saving, while I struggle a lot in reaching the adherence limits.
I second your comment about 5lap stop with RS, but my issue is that I do not extract enough from RS to manage 1 stop in a Gr3 levelled field.
Or at least this is what I saw in different races.
It's also fair to say that I'm (slightly) improving, so this may not be true (or so much true) anymore.
I'm not sure I have another slot before the end of this weekly, but if I can get a window will try it.

zjn
You are talking about me, this is my best impersonation of alien driver
View attachment 1331775

being serious...
I think I'm quite good in tyres saving, while I struggle a lot in reaching the adherence limits.
I second your comment about 5lap stop with RS, but my issue is that I do not extract enough from RS to manage 1 stop in a Gr3 levelled field.
Or at least this is what I saw in different races.
It's also fair to say that I'm (slightly) improving, so this may not be true (or so much true) anymore.
I'm not sure I have another slot before the end of this weekly, but if I can get a window will try it.
I'm no Allen. Push those soft tires. Braking and corner exit is where you see the benefit. Slowly try braking later, and way harder. Brake hard at speed and let off as you scrub. Trail brake or at least the start of it, if you haven't tried it yet. It takes a bit but it's incredible how much it gives you speed. Corner exit. Once you have a little better idea about the braking, start doing the same on corner exit. I always always always was too early on throttle. It's counter to believe but waiting is much much faster. Get to the point where you are unwinding your steering input before you add throttle. Right when you release the hard steering input start feeding a little throttle and increase as your steering angle decreases. I know this all sounds like a lot but once you start to feel it you'll be much faster and much more consistent.

No one ever really explained it like that to me. In simple terms. Brakes and throttle are NOT on off switches. Brakes on throttle can give you weird grip where you wouldn't find it otherwise.

Sorry for the wall of text and if you weren't looking for advice then please just disregard, but if you were, I hope it helps. 🍻🍻

zjn
but my issue is that I do not extract enough from RS to manage 1 stop in a Gr3 levelled field.
You cannot know what a leveled field is in these WTC races, the AI cars are sometimes above the "level" of the PP rating the race is limited to, there is no way to find out what those cars are set to, therefore you will mostly be under the level and will have to adjust your car to make it competitive

Last edited:
Had a really hard time with this week's races. There's only been one easy win actually on Road Atlanta. The rest was pushing pushing pushing from race start to the finish line. And yes, I chose the easy way in Watkins Glen after losing big time in my first attempt with the Ford GT LM Test Car ...

Here's the cars I used :

Race 1 : Tesla Model 3, stock car, slightly detuned via power restrictor, 555 PP
Race 2 : Tesla Model 3, stock car, 560 PP
Race 3 : Daihatsu Copen, Praiano tuning, detuned via power restrictor, 375 PP
Race 4 : GT3 RS 992, stock car, 650 PP
Race 5 : GT-R GT500, Praiano tuning, 800 PP

One impression I wanted to share with you was that the leading car always seemed to be able to react to my attacks. They were able to increase their speed whenever needed, so overtaking for the lead got extremely difficult ( especially against Carrazza in Barcelona ). No clue whether anyone can second this.

Having read your race reports above, I'm planning to re-run the Kei Car race and the WTC 800 challenge tonight. :cheers:

Gran Turismo™ 7_20240225193913.jpgGran Turismo™ 7_20240225195308.jpg

Last edited:
I'm no Allen. Push those soft tires. Braking and corner exit is where you see the benefit. Slowly try braking later, and way harder. Brake hard at speed and let off as you scrub. Trail brake or at least the start of it, if you haven't tried it yet. It takes a bit but it's incredible how much it gives you speed. Corner exit. Once you have a little better idea about the braking, start doing the same on corner exit. I always always always was too early on throttle. It's counter to believe but waiting is much much faster. Get to the point where you are unwinding your steering input before you add throttle. Right when you release the hard steering input start feeding a little throttle and increase as your steering angle decreases. I know this all sounds like a lot but once you start to feel it you'll be much faster and much more consistent.

No one ever really explained it like that to me. In simple terms. Brakes and throttle are NOT on off switches. Brakes on throttle can give you weird grip where you wouldn't find it otherwise.

Sorry for the wall of text and if you weren't looking for advice then please just disregard, but if you were, I hope it helps. 🍻🍻
Advice is always welcome. Thanks for sharing :cheers:

Back