Welcome to GTP16: Dark Mode, Emojis, Reactions, Bookmarks, and So Much More...

• Thread starter Jordan
  • 356 comments
When clicking on an alert, the blue becomes unfilled for for all alerts even if I haven't clicked it.

Not sure if this is intentional or a bug.

Something I noticed with dark mode is while posting a bunch of pictures in another thread, the text for the buttons below the attachments (the white bar) is in white and I cannot read it unless I highlight it.
Untitled.png

Last edited:
Today's updates:
  • Dark mode: “new profile posts” page text color fixed
  • Dark mode: post editor attachment bar color fixed
  • Forum posts: fixed reactions bar to prevent page content from shifting when reacting to a post

Two things Jordan:

1) Is there a way to remove the "Threads You Follow" and "Latest Posts" section when opening the main forum? It's a bit annoying having to scroll down extra everytime you go back to the main forum. I don't have threads that I follow so it just shows the 2 tracks I uploaded in GT6 Course Maker, and since this feature is now offline it's useless having this section here.

2) With the shortcut on top left (Home > Forums > Off Topic > Site Support), is it possible to remove the Home? It just takes you to the News page and it's a bit redundant since the "News" tab is literally less than 3cm from it. I got used to clicking on the left most link to go back to the main forum from the previous version, so I'm getting a lot of mis-clicks to the News page.

Also not trying to sound like a broken record, but any chance at all for the old smilies to come back as with the "cheers" and "gtpflag"? Some old smilies don't even have a new equivalent. E.g. to get a winking face previously you just type ;) but now you have to type : wink : Old habits die hard I suppose.

Last edited:
I'm not quite sure what you're seeing here. Can you explain in more detail?

Most modern mobile browsers will naturally scroll to the highlighted text input, but I am not seeing any "zooming" behavior on any of my devices.
Wanted to record it, but it stopped doing it now 🤷
It did a thing where, as soon as I selected the reply box, the browser zoomed in to the maximum level, so far that two words would fill the screen left-to-right. Guess it was just my browser being buggy for a bit.

Btw, homepage is way better now. I still think the featured photos are cluttering it a bit, but at least the news is easy to find now.

Two things Jordan:

1) Is there a way to remove the "Threads You Follow" and "Latest Posts" section when opening the main forum? It's a bit annoying having to scroll down extra everytime you go back to the main forum. I don't have threads that I follow so it just shows the 2 tracks I uploaded in GT6 Course Maker, and since this feature is now offline it's useless having this section here.

Is there a way to hide the "threads you follow" and "latest posts" sections?

Not currently, but I will add a feature that lets you collapse those sections.

I understand this could be spectacularly complicated to implement and so it's nothing more than a notion, but it might be nice to have the capability to order the forum menu in preferences.

Just asking, but would it be possible to relocate the light/dark/auto mode buttons to the top of the page? Maybe on the right edge of the bar that shows the Home > Forums > Site support >, and such information. A dropdown menu maybe?

I have a question regarding the main news page:

• Is there an option to see news posts only?

The featured threads and images look nice, but sometimes I simply want to find all the news articles and catch up on what's going on.
There is no option. Considering the volume of posts that we publish I don't feel like that's necessary.
1) Is there a way to remove the "Threads You Follow" and "Latest Posts" section when opening the main forum?
As mentioned, this feature will be coming. I am busy offline through the weekend but I hope to implement this next week.
Just asking, but would it be possible to relocate the light/dark/auto mode buttons to the top of the page? Maybe on the right edge of the bar that shows the Home > Forums > Site support >, and such information. A dropdown menu maybe?
2) With the shortcut on top left (Home > Forums > Off Topic > Site Support), is it possible to remove the Home? It just takes you to the News page and it's a bit redundant since the "News" tab is literally less than 3cm from it. I got used to clicking on the left most link to go back to the main forum from the previous version, so I'm getting a lot of mis-clicks to the News page.
I know it's a little jarring at first. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I had a lot of mis-clicks myself while building the new theme.

The site now has a true, universal breadcrumb that extends to all areas compared to just the forums' breadcrumbs before. A consistent root breadcrumb is logically and technically (for SEO) necessary.

I promise you'll get used to it in a few more days. 👍

Also not trying to sound like a broken record, but any chance at all for the old smilies to come back as with the "cheers" and "gtpflag"? Some old smilies don't even have a new equivalent. E.g. to get a winking face previously you just type ;) but now you have to type : wink : Old habits die hard I suppose.
Possibly. I love them too (well, I kept them on my site for 20 years, if that tells you anything!) but there are some issues.

First, the reality is the old smilies really need to be rebuilt in higher resolution to keep the site from looking dated on modern displays and devices. As with some of the other changes that have drawn criticism, there are simply things that I have to de-prioritize or just say "that's good enough for now" or "I will decide/work on/refine that later", else the site would stay in development behind-closed-doors quite literally forever. The smilies were one of those things.

Second, I'm not entirely thrilled with the idea of having a motley crew of different smilies — in terms of both visual appearance and invocation method. Dealing with the standardized Unicode emoji set is more consistent in many ways.

So, I don't know. It's a decision that had to be made / deferred. I knew some people wouldn't like it (I wasn't sure how many), but I'm listening to the feedback on it.

Some old smilies don't even have a new equivalent. E.g. to get a winking face previously you just type ;) but now you have to type : wink : Old habits die hard I suppose.
This was actually just an oversight on my part. You can use ;) to insert ;). Please let me know if there are any other shortcuts that I missed.

Last edited:
Possibly. I love them too (well, I kept them on my site for 20 years, if that tells you anything!) but there are some issues.

First, the reality is the old smilies really need to be rebuilt in higher resolution to keep the site from looking dated on modern displays and devices. As with some of the other changes that have drawn criticism, there are simply things that I have to de-prioritize or just say "that's good enough for now" or "I will decide/work on/refine that later", else the site would stay in development behind-closed-doors quite literally forever. The smilies were one of those things.

Second, I'm not entirely thrilled with the idea of having a motley crew of different smilies — in terms of both visual appearance and invocation method. Dealing with the standardized Unicode emoji set is more consistent in many ways.

So, I don't know. It's a decision that had to be made / deferred. I knew some people wouldn't like it (I wasn't sure how many), but I'm listening to the feedback on it.

This was actually just an oversight on my part. You can use ;) to insert 😉. Please let me know if there are any other shortcuts that I missed.
Fair enough Jordan. Thanks for explaining the reasons behind it. I never realised how much I love the old smilies until they're gone. IMO the loss has the biggest impact on the look of the site more than anything else. I use smilies a lot here, it's almost like a second face. On other forums, despite my posting style being the same I rarely use smilies because they look different and it doesn't feel right. So the change here feels like I've gotten a plastic surgery and have to get used to a new face, if that makes sense 🙃

Even so I can't remember all the old smilies and shortcuts. A quick search shows this thread which shows all of them in their new forms, but hovering the cursor over them shows the new shortcuts instead (e.g. wink instead of ;-) ) Some are pretty obvious but a few look markedly different so I don't know what they correspond to in the old format.

Some quick thoughts:
  • "Bowdown" has a totally different feel in the new one
  • "Cool" and "indiff" doesn't even have a replacement
  • "Banghead" seems to be missing
  • There were 2 smilies that are condensed into one "confounded"
  • "Drool" barely looks different from a normal smile now unless you look real closely

I must be the only one who cares this much about these little guys 🤣

EDIT: Seems bullet points are auto formatted. Now that's a cool change 👍

Last edited:
With the previous GTP-version, when you clicked on a link from e.g. GTPnewswire, the article opened in another window. This is not the case anymore. Is this Firefox setting or is it inherent to this new GTP-version?

Fair enough Jordan. Thanks for explaining the reasons behind it. I never realised how much I love the old smilies until they're gone. IMO the loss has the biggest impact on the look of the site more than anything else.
Same.
"Bowdown" has a totally different feel in the new one
Indeed. My signature looks a little odd without the old one now, just look at it. I have to look at it pretty hard to tell it's a bowdown emoji. At first glance, I thought it was something completely different. I suppose it's time I finally change it though.
I must be the only one who cares this much about these little guys 🤣
Nope!
sly.gif

Last edited:
Is there a way to filter the news page like before this update? There's a lot of games/series you cover (which is great) but there's only a few I play regularly that I'd like to see news on.

Sometimes when line breaking on mobile, it inserts the line break but does not move the cursor. I think it has to do with whether or not you have punctuation at the end,

It works with the comma up there, but will not work if you don't use itso it ends up like this.

*I hit line break after "don't use it" in the above sentence and you can see that kept the cursor up there. How it did create the line breaks. I moved the cursor down here to type at it.

I never realised how much I love the old smilies until they're gone. IMO the loss has the biggest impact on the look of the site more than anything else. I use smilies a lot here, it's almost like a second face. On other forums, despite my posting style being the same I rarely use smilies because they look different and it doesn't feel right.
Honestly, the emoji for standard smilie-style expressions are so bad that I am very reluctant to use any of them. They're so over-produced, insincere (by way of ubiquity and meme-ification), and too often nearly indistinguishable -- if not plain indisinguishable at a glance, then indistinguishable in terms of what they are trying (and failing) to convey. Typical awful & cold modern design. I don't see GTPlanet in them. I see indifferent, insincere corporatism.

On the flipside, I appreciate much of the remainder of the new palette. 🐺 The feature is genuinely a big improvement for the site. The problem is just the crop that now stands in place of our superior traditional equivalents. Having both sets readily available, per the user's preference, would be greatly appreciated.

(To no one's surprise, I really could not care less if our smilies look "dated" -- they are emotive, which is the whole point. Besides, I still cannot understand any aversion to pixels in a world where Minecraft is such a worldwide phenomenon.)

Most of today's work was behind-the-scenes, but there were a fair amount of public changes as well:
  • “GT Suggestions” forums sort-by-votes links fixed
  • FAQ page updated
  • News articles: list formatting updated
  • News articles: pull quote formatting adjusted
  • News articles: fixed article quizzes so they are working again
  • Premium subscriptions can now be purchased with any of the following payment methods (in addition to PayPal):
    • All major credit cards
    • Apple Pay
    • Google Pay
    • Android Pay
    • Microsoft Pay
  • Dark mode: highlighted posts background color adjusted
  • Dark mode: multi-quote insert gradients fixed
  • Forum search: query underlined on results page
  • Reactions list: links underlined

Is it possible to add a theme changer for a per user basis or would that require a complete rewrite of the HTML, CSS and JS?
Capture.PNG

What do you mean, exactly?
I think he wants theme colors for the icons when you make new post or reply.
Like when you see the "B" for bold, I think instead of the grey, wants like a Cyan color or Pink or for @Famine Indigo

Today's updates:
  • Premium subscriptions: new “gift” buttons added (more details here)
  • Premium subscriptions: private conversations started by Premium members can now contain up to 500 participants
  • User profiles: fixed spacing around reaction button on profile post comments
  • User profiles: your account warnings and infractions will again be visible (only to you and moderation staff) on your profile page if you have infractions logged against your account
  • FAQ page: Updated to reflect new Premium information
  • Other: new moderation and administrative tools installed and configured
  • Other: updated bot detection system to hCaptcha
Custom theming.
Similar to how you can change Windows theme colors for elements.
No, I'm afraid that would be too complex to implement here. I would recommend using a browser plugin if you want to further customize the site's appearance.

Today's updates:
  • Premium subscriptions: new “gift” buttons added (more details here)
  • Premium subscriptions: private conversations started by Premium members can now contain up to 500 participants
  • User profiles: fixed spacing around reaction button on profile post comments
  • User profiles: your account warnings and infractions will again be visible (only to you and moderation staff) on your profile page if you have infractions logged against your account
  • FAQ page: Updated to reflect new Premium information
  • Other: updated bot detection system to hCaptcha
  • Premium subscriptions: new “gift” buttons added
I like this one.

Don't like this one. 😩

Don't care because I'm only a regular member. 😁

Why are there big unordered list circles and little unordered list circles?

There is a pattern. Or am I seeing things that aren't there?

I like this one.

Don't like this one. 😩

Don't care because I'm only a regular member. 😁

Why are there big unordered list circles and little unordered list circles?

There is a pattern. Or am I seeing things that aren't there?

I dont have that with lists.

1. One does numbered ordering
  • The other uses bullet points.
    Those dots are periods/Full Stops.

Last edited:
Back