Well done PD! Well done!

  • Thread starter Thread starter BkS
  • 56 comments
  • 4,552 views

BkS

Messages
3,159
Scotland
Livingston, Sco
Messages
BkS-y0
Messages
APX BkS
Before anyone jumps to conclusions, or starts ranting at me, you should know the following:

A) I have checked to make sure it's not just GT5. But it is.

B) My console is only 3 years old, and works perfectly fine.

C) This problem only has arisen since updating to V2.11

Ok, now that's that done and dusted, I present to you a video.




As you've now seen, Nurburgring 24 hours has NO TEXTURES WHATSOEVER. I can't confirm other tracks, since trying to exit the lounge from that particular session has resulted in my PS3 freezing constantly when trying to start an Arcade race, or some type of "on-track" race.

Connecting to other lobbies/lounges is just impossible, and only once have I managed to be able to connect to my own lounge, and that video was the result of it. Connection times are horribly slow compared to the previous update.

TL;DR? PD screwed the update.

I've tried tweeting Kaz, and I've emailed PD. I can only hope they fix this, because I can't play GT5 at all and it's a rather depressing thought.

Has anyone else been affected this badly?
 
I have had this track glitch, just drive around, and the track will appear next lap, however it may have disappeared elsewhere.
 
I would say unless anyone else speaks up as having the same issue, it maybe something exclusive to your side and nothing to do with 2.11. I was on the Nurburgring last night taking photos, testing cars on all sorts of tracks, etc, etc and never had a single issue.
 
I have had this track glitch, just drive around, and the track will appear next lap, however it may have disappeared elsewhere.

I did, it didn't come back. It's messed up!

I would say unless anyone else speaks up as having the same issue, it maybe something exclusive to your side and nothing to do with 2.11. I was on the Nurburgring last night taking photos, testing cars on all sorts of tracks, etc, etc and never had a single issue.

Well see that's the ironic thing, I was doing the exact same last night until I updated to V2.11 this morning. Ain't ever had a problem with GT5 up until this update. T'is very weird!

I'm lucky if I even make it past the "Gran Turismo" logo at the start of the game when it's connecting to PSN! Then it freezes PSN, and ultimately leads to freezing the PS3.
 
This is the update for tranquil meditation.

This is merely indicating that both you and your camera are in a zenn state and you can study the way of the 'ring in perfect harmony


But seriously this doesn't seem like it would be an update problem, more like a disc problem or perhaps damaged game data.

To answer your question though, no I have not encountered anything like this
 
I should probably post this as well. It's a photo of my GT5 original disc. No scratches whatsoever, hardly ever out of my PS3.

8490833914_ac5f016f90_c_d.jpg
 
BkS
I should probably post this as well. It's a photo of my GT5 original disc. No scratches whatsoever, hardly ever out of my PS3.

Well I'm on the 'ring right now and I'm not experiencing any hint of the issues you've shown.

After a couple laps on 24h - no weather change I've encountered no graphical glitches. Going to weather change now.
 
Last edited:
You escaped the wrath of the mighty Kaz. :lol:

In seriousness though, I dunno what's wrong. My disc is fine, as is the PS3. GT5 is the only game I ever play and so it's hardly ever out of the PS3 unless I want to play F1.

Not only that, but GT5 is the only game that literally makes my PS3's disc-laser scream since the update! Never used to do that!

Something's clearly not right, and I'm not at fault.

I hope something's done relatively quick, cause this sucks nuts not being able to do anything apart from watch a stupid demo on the main screen, or go to the GT-Life UI. :/

The only thing I can think of doing is backing up my game save, uninstalling the update, and then trying to reinstall it, but even then, it seems a long shot away.
 
BkS
You escaped the wrath of the mighty Kaz. :lol

It would seem so, I'm trying to replicate your problem as best as I can, but to no avail (thankfully)

It honestly does sound like something at your end.. I'll happily retract my statement when someone says they have the same problem but..


On Change weather coming up to adenauer forst I found two large semi circle shadows on a fence that should not be there.

Lots of strange shadows in this area, discovering several more as I drive

Nothing more to report, just shadow glitches.
 
Last edited:
Do any of you have any cars that have had the code changed on them?, Like hybrids or hacked cars. If so that may be the trouble.
 
After installing 2.11 I had to restart gt5 so I could go online. No problems at Nurb, but it sounds like my ps3 is about to blow up any minute. But that might be something else
 
I had this problem before on the 24H layout with weather. It used to happen just after the first corner. To correct the issue I hit the PS button on the controller and the rest of the track textures would fill in then back to racing. Having said that, It hasn't happened to me in a while. hope this helps
 
Do any of you have any cars that have had the code changed on them?, Like hybrids or hacked cars. If so that may be the trouble.

Nope, all my cars a bought straight from the New/Used/Online dealerships. Haven't ever traded anything.

After installing 2.11 I had to restart gt5 so I could go online. No problems at Nurb, but it sounds like my ps3 is about to blow up any minute. But that might be something else

I hope not! That'd be far too convenient for Sony's announcement tomorrow!

I had this problem before on the 24H layout with weather. It used to happen just after the first corner. To correct the issue I hit the PS button on the controller and the rest of the track textures would fill in then back to racing. Having said that, It hasn't happened to me in a while. hope this helps

Once the GT5 is loaded and I hit that PS button, everything because unresponsive. I need to switch it off at the mains in order to get the blinking thing working again.
 
I would delete the game data and reinstall and repatch.
 
Probably the Bluray laser having problems, try to play Bluray movies ( single layer and dual layer ones ) - skip chapters, fast forward, slow motion play, access special features, enable LPCM or other uncompressed audio tracks, see if there's any skipping that didn't occur before.

I never have texture issue or freeze when loading GT5, I have 1st gen slim PS3 from 2009. I replaced my HDD though with a bigger one recently and I did also clean my Bluray laser not long ago ( I disassembled the drive )

You can try to delete installed game data from GT5 options, this won't delete update data. Tick the "Stop Installation" to prevent the game install in the background and run all from disc. If this still cause the issue ... might be laser or corrupted update data.
 
To me it sounds like your system might be running hot. I'm not positive, but when a computer gets hot, it doesn't process well.
 
If it's just GT5 I would try removing the update and try to update again. If it still does it, it's probably something else causing it.
 
Hey no worries it's only your PS3's graphics Card what explodes any minute.

So your GT5 is good :lol:
 
Give this a try. When you're finished update your PS3's firmware.

I know one thing that will work, you know how to acess the PS3 safe menu? If you don't know do this.
Step 1: Turn off the PLAYSTATION 3 by holding the Power button on the front of the unit till the Power light is red.

Step 2:
Touch and hold the Power button, you will hear the first beep, meaning the PLAYSTATION 3 is powering on.
Continue to hold the Power button and after about 5 seconds, you will hear a second beep, indicating the video reset.
Continue to hold the Power button and after about another 5 seconds you will hear a third beep and the system will power off (Power light is red).

Step 3:
Touch and hold the Power button, you will hear the first beep, again for the PLAYSTATION 3 to power on.
Continue to hold the Power button and after about 5 seconds, you will hear a second beep for video reset.
Continue to hold the Power button and after about another 5 seconds you will hear a quick double beep. At that point release the Power button. If you succeeded in activating Safe Mode, you will see a message on the screen saying, "Connect the controller using a USB cable and then press the PS button."

After you do all of this choose the option Restore File System and that will fix possible corrupted files that you have on your PS3, don't worry it won't delete any file that you have. (Don't worry about the message "The hard disk's file system is corrupted and will be restored.")
 
That`s what they meant by saying: "Flying around Nürb"

No glitch here after 2.11
 
Cool feature!

GT5 - the real flight simulator
 
Have you tried deleting your game data and starting from scratch with patches? It's a hassle and will take several hours, I know, but it might just be a case of the update not installing correctly and screwing up the data on the hard drive rather than anything wrong with the update specifically.
 
Your ps3 could be about to die, mine acted really wierd before it finally died, it would freeze and not load properly, then YLOD which is a gpu failure. It was the fat 40gb and almost 4 years old when it died.
 
I'm rather confused by people claiming it's a hardware problem.. he has outright stated the problem does not occur with other titles so that blatantly isn't the issue.
 
It doesn't make sense that he would just experience it at the Nürburgring only, and only ever since the patch hit live should this be a hardware related problem.

It's not a pleasant thing to do, but I'm having to go on the "deleting your game data, and re-patch the game" bandwagon. Sounds similar to the freezing bug that occurred whenever a player jumped into deep water in Skyrim some time ago, and re-patching the game fixed that bug so this might do it for you also.
 
This has happened to me after one of the updates early last year. As soon as I did it, my PS3 sounds like its skipping( and trust, i take care of all my electronics). I've had to raise my console vertical and it unfreezes itself. Then, I noticed if I paused the game for a short time( to get a refreshment for example) I resume racing and I have the same no pavement at the North Loop. It hasn't happened since the 2.09 update but, I still have the intermittent locking( skipping sound- may be due to PS3 age/version whatever).
 
I'm rather confused by people claiming it's a hardware problem.. he has outright stated the problem does not occur with other titles so that blatantly isn't the issue.

Actually, what he has said seems to indicate the opposite to be true.

BkS
In seriousness though, I dunno what's wrong. My disc is fine, as is the PS3. GT5 is the only game I ever play and so it's hardly ever out of the PS3 unless I want to play F1.

He hasn't actually said, unless I missed something, that he's tried other games since this problem has started. If GT5 is the only game that he's tried, then what's to say that this same type of issue wouldn't occur in other games?

It's very possible that his Blu-Ray drive is worn out. He says that it's making odd noises now, the textures are not loading, and he's having problems with menus loading and freezing up on him. All of these things could occur if the drive is malfunctioning.

He should indeed try other games and movies to test this out, thoroughly. If there is no problem with other media, then it could very well be a corruption of his game data and/or cache.

There was an update recently which could have corrupted the data, if the install went wrong. However, it may just be a coincidence that the issue occurred right after the update. He might very well have had this problem if 2.11 didn't come out until next week.

The BD might just have reached a bad point in its life right around the same time that the update was available and there may not actually be an update issue here.

Blu-Ray drives do not, unless they are having some type of issue, tend to be noisy; not in the way that he is describing. That leans me towards that as the actual issue here.

He can test it out, as none of us have access to his system and discs, so it's up to him to do so and see what happens.

There aren't any "Me too!" posts in reply to this topic and I haven't noticed any similar topics in the Forum since the update, so most likely it isn't the update itself. Corruption? Possible. Update being faulty? It doesn't seem so.

I'm willing to bet that it's a hardware issue with what I'm reading.

Edit to add a response to this:

It doesn't make sense that he would just experience it at the Nürburgring only, and only ever since the patch hit live should this be a hardware related problem.

Actually, it would make perfect sense.

What you're thinking, and this is not a wrong way of looking at it, is that the laser isn't properly reading anything on the disc.

However, it is very possible that the laser tracking system isn't working correctly so that it's not reaching certain places on the disc. In this case, if this is the actual problem, it cannot read the part of the disc that has the textures for Nur.

It would also seem that it cannot read certain parts of the disc that contain menu information, and other things that he has indicated are not working properly.

The Nur textures are the biggest issue, but not the only one that he's having. As a whole, it indicates that the laser isn't reaching where it is supposed to go. It's fighting to get there, but something isn't working inside of it, hence the noise, and hence the lack of the game functioning/loading properly.

I wouldn't recommend deleting the data as a first step. That's hours that might not help. Testing a bunch of other discs would be a better way to get started figuring out what the real issue is here.
 
Last edited:
I did state in the OP I had tested to see if this was happening with other games and its not. I've tried GT Prologue, Ni no Kuni, F1 2011 & Uncharted. All work fine.

I don't hear anything from the disc tray until I put my GT disc in the PS3. Its almost like the laser is scraping the disc and there's a high pitched squeak.

I very much doubt my PS3 is on the blink, since I've got a slim from 2009/2010.

I took the dive and deleted my game data, but it seems installing the game data has stopped a little before the half way mark which leads me to believe I've either got some bad sectors on the actually BDRom itself or my BD drive isn't working correctly.

I'm tempted to go buy a new GT5 disc just to see if it is my disc, but it shouldn't be because there aren't any scratches at all. :nervous:
 
BkS
I took the dive and deleted my game data, but it seems installing the game data has stopped a little before the half way mark which leads me to believe I've either got some bad sectors on the actually BDRom itself or my BD drive isn't working correctly.

I'm tempted to go buy a new GT5 disc just to see if it is my disc, but it shouldn't be because there aren't any scratches at all. :nervous:
Could you use your disc with another PS3?
Its weird, some hours testing several tracks, but nothing weird after the update.
 
GTPM118
Could you use your disc with another PS3?
Its weird, some hours testing several tracks, but nothing weird after the update.

Ain't got another system in the house mate.

UPDATE: My disc seems to work fine when I don't install GT5 to the HDD... I've tested everything and its working. I can get online, in my lounge and Nurb even has textures!! This is seriously becoming weird!

Something isn't right from copying from the disc to my HDD. Uh oh.

EDIT: It seems Kart Space isn't loading either. That feared squeaking noise has came back to haunt me! Just when I thought I was on to something. :(
 
Last edited:
Back