Well, that was unexpected.....

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 26 comments

seadog777

Premium
Malaysia
Iskandar
seadog777
I've been playing this for nearly 3 months now and there have been lots of "events" that I really don't remember happening in the earlier games. It's made this version quite special to me.

I've just done my usual daily run around La Sarthe in a "nostalgic" race car (P4 today!) to grab a quick 240k and on the first lap, half way along the first straight, there was a massive plume of "smoke" up ahead. I could see it from a long way off and wondered what the 🤬 was happening. A car (not sure what, driving too fast) had collided with the Aston Martin DB3 ( unmistakeable even at speed!) which had flipped over and looked like it had steam or smoke spraying out of it!

I have saved the replay and if I can work out how to edit out just that bit and post here, I will.

Amazing!

There have been so many other "unexpected" instances and I'd love to hear yours!

I had a similar experience doing this race but without a car flip over. Sounds almost identical though. In the distance I see a big plume of smoke, then I zip past a very slow moving car. I had to check the replay to see what happened, that was simply one of the faster AI cars ploughing into a slower one causing an almighty crash. It stood out as I've done the Nostalgic race 30 times now and it's the only time I've ever seen anything like that.

No flipped car for me though :)

Having run that race well over 200 times, I've seen huge wrecks on that straight many times. Sometimes the AI runs out of what little "I" they have to start with. What's funny, if you run the race again, 9 times out of 10, that wreck won't happen again, so they "learn" from it.

there was a massive plume of "smoke" up ahead. I could see it from a long way off and wondered what the 🤬 was happening. A car ....... had flipped over and looked like it had steam or smoke spraying out of it!

That happened to me too. I don't remember what track or car, just that I saw a huge plume of smoke! 👍

I will try to work out how to record a clip and attach it..... meantime, another unexpected event occurred a couple of days ago. In the Lambo race and had "battled" up to second with one or two laps to go. Was behind a Veneno (they are fast!) struggling to get past but getting closer. He went wide and span into a sandbank - from first place! AI feels pressure???

:embarrassed:
Keep me updated on the footage!

Can you upload a video?

Waiting on the video here.

Well, this is embarrassing - after learning online how to get a video from "replay library" onto a USB stick - I went to the library and it's not there. :confused:

I swear I saved it.... I hardly ever save replays (4 times according to the library) and yesterday did 2, so it was quite an event for me! One did save (a time trial of Dragon's Tail which went very well and I wanted to see in future) - but the incident video wasn't there.

I know "video or it didn't happen...". I really did see what I described, was absolutely certain I'd saved it. As it was my 87th or 88th win in this event at this track, and I've never seen anything like it before, it's likely to be a while before it happens again.

Oh well, there goes the credibility of this thread.....:embarrassed::ill:
I will make absolutely sure if anything similar happens in future, I will save and upload here.

I've been playing this for nearly 3 months now and there have been lots of "events" that I really don't remember happening in the earlier games. It's made this version quite special to me.

I've just done my usual daily run around La Sarthe in a "nostalgic" race car (P4 today!) to grab a quick 240k and on the first lap, half way along the first straight, there was a massive plume of "smoke" up ahead. I could see it from a long way off and wondered what the 🤬 was happening. A car (not sure what, driving too fast) had collided with the Aston Martin DB3 ( unmistakeable even at speed!) which had flipped over and looked like it had steam or smoke spraying out of it!

I have saved the replay and if I can work out how to edit out just that bit and post here, I will.

Amazing!

There have been so many other "unexpected" instances and I'd love to hear yours!
You can make a 10 second GIF in sharefactory and then share it as an image.

Well, this is embarrassing - after learning online how to get a video from "replay library" onto a USB stick - I went to the library and it's not there. :confused:

I swear I saved it.... I hardly ever save replays (4 times according to the library) and yesterday did 2, so it was quite an event for me! One did save (a time trial of Dragon's Tail which went very well and I wanted to see in future) - but the incident video wasn't there.

I know "video or it didn't happen...". I really did see what I described, was absolutely certain I'd saved it. As it was my 87th or 88th win in this event at this track, and I've never seen anything like it before, it's likely to be a while before it happens again.

Oh well, there goes the credibility of this thread.....:embarrassed::ill:
I will make absolutely sure if anything similar happens in future, I will save and upload here.

In the future, there is an easier way.

If you are playing single player, just hit the "Share" button on the controller. Then. select "video" and choose a destination. I upload them to my Youtube account. It will bring you to a share interface where you can trim the video down. I can't remember how far back it goes, but it's quite a bit. Just trim it to a good starting point for what you want to show and then click "ok" and it will upload.

If you are playing multiplayer, save the replay to your library. Then, when you are done your race, just go to your library and play the video up to the point you want to show. Then, like above, trim it down and upload it.

Then you just include the link to the youtube video in your post.

In the future, there is an easier way.

If you are playing single player, just hit the "Share" button on the controller. Then. select "video" and choose a destination. I upload them to my Youtube account. It will bring you to a share interface where you can trim the video down. I can't remember how far back it goes, but it's quite a bit. Just trim it to a good starting point for what you want to show and then click "ok" and it will upload.

If you are playing multiplayer, save the replay to your library. Then, when you are done your race, just go to your library and play the video up to the point you want to show. Then, like above, trim it down and upload it.

Then you just include the link to the youtube video in your post.

Yup, this is the easiest way to go. You can set the PlayStation to record the last XX minutes(I have mine set to last 30 minutes, I think the options are like 5/10/15/30) of screen time automatically or I think it can be set to start recording if you double tap the share button. Just remember to clear out all the old files once in a while, once you start saving/sharing videos they seem to pile up quickly. :lol:

Did you maybe save the video with the PS4’s share function? If so, it would be in your capture gallery.

I checked the capture gallery and the video file is empty.

Yup, this is the easiest way to go. You can set the PlayStation to record the last XX minutes(I have mine set to last 30 minutes, I think the options are like 5/10/15/30) of screen time automatically or I think it can be set to start recording if you double tap the share button. Just remember to clear out all the old files once in a while, once you start saving/sharing videos they seem to pile up quickly. :lol:

I checked this in settings..... it was set to 15 minutes, but the capture gallery video file is empty so not sure where it's going! Have changed to 30 and it's still showing empty. But thanks both for the tips. It will be a good back-up (if I can get it working!)
They way I thought I'd done it on the day was press replay, then go to top left corner and click "Save Replay". Obviously something went wrong.....

I've done that first straight (not finishing the race) about 20 times since.... not any bad behaviour whatsoever from the AI, let alone any crashes. :(

I also thought I would ram the DB3 off the track a few times (felt bad about it, obviously!) to see if I could wreck its radiator or get the engine to catch fire. :guilty:

It is really hard to destabilise that car!! I did get it into a heck of a spin once and a lot of smoke came from the tyres but it didn't last long - what I saw (in the OP) lasted much longer... I think! Maybe I'm just going senile.....:confused:

Last edited:
OK, I'm never going to get the "lost" video back. BUT today I did La Sarthe again and I've posted photos below (I did save the race this time, for sure!!), have worked out how to get it on a thumb drive (sort of) but cannot see any way to post here as a video file except via YouTube.... so here are some stills, taken from driver view:

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20190325140851.jpg
Gran Turismo®SPORT_20190325140928.jpg
Gran Turismo®SPORT_20190325140956.jpg
Gran Turismo®SPORT_20190325141053.jpg

Not very clear but very similar to what I posted in the OP. First shot (when first noticed, roughly, at 01:24, last one, just before I hit it (:embarrassed: ) 1:29 so 5 seconds, quite a long time, and of course still smoking when I span ahead of it and looked behind!

Not the DB3, nothing flipped (when I saw the DB3 it was at an angle in the hedge, may not have completely flipped and there were at least 2 other cars with it..... bit hard to take exact note when doing 360Km/h!)

This was obviously a case of prolonged tyre smoking after being hit or hitting the barrier..... still a shock to see so much smoke ahead!!

Thanks for uploading some stills. So a similar incident happened again? Well done on saving the replay. You could also switch to the cars involved and see it from their point of view too if the view isn't so good.

Thanks for uploading some stills. So a similar incident happened again? Well done on saving the replay. You could also switch to the cars involved and see it from their point of view too if the view isn't so good.

Yes, very similar, saw the smoke from a long way off and thought "Yay, happened again!" but.... this car was in the middle of the road, on its own, which was different. And I ploughed straight into it! Ended the race just after to make sure I wouldn't make any "save" mistakes!! I will try different views tomorrow and if anything shows better view, will post!

Back