what are the best flying games on ps2??

United Kingdom
Bristol UK
GTP_Chris
hey guys,

after playing the MS flight simulator x demo, i really wanna get back into flying, but i cant really do it on my pc, cause i can only play on Low...:indiff:

so i was thinking, maybe there are some nice flight sim games for ps2 aswell...2 days ago i past by a shop and there was a play station 2 with a joystick and a combad flight game. ???

if there are any nice games, can i actually use my Logitech joystick??

thanks

chris

Ace Combat and Sky Odyssey are all you'll ever need. The former is the best air combat series I've ever played, and the latter is the most fun flying-game-that-has-nothing-to-do-with-guns-or-shooting-other-aircraft-down that I've ever played.

Neither one of them can hold a candle to X-Plane as far as realism goes, but they're pretty close to MSFS last time I checked (which, admittedly, doesn't include MSFSX).

Ace Combat 04 can be found for really cheap, but Ace Combat 5 and Zero really improved on the gameplay. Sky Odyssey was not only a launch title, but also bombed, so it could probably be picked up for $5 if you can find a copy.

I would definately recommend the Ace Combat series of games. Ace Combat 4 and Ace Combat 5 can be found pretty cheap, they are both PS2 Greatest Hits. There is also Ace Combat Zero which is the latest game in the series.

If you are going to get Ace Combat I recommend that you try to track down one of the Namco Flight Sticks! Here is a link to a review of the Flight Stick:

http://gear.ign.com/articles/562/562988p1.html

The Ace Combat series is good if you like good graphics, arcade handling and gameplay and fighting with science fiction bosses.

If you like a hardcore simulation with modern jets, try the Energy Airforce series by Taito:
Homepage:
http://www.ea-web.com

- "Energy Airforce" by Taito (JPN: SLPM-74414, PAL: SLES-52310)
Supports Hori Flight Stick (USB).

- "Energy Airforce aimStrike!" by Taito (JPN: SLPM-65374, PAL: SLES-?????)
The japanese version can be switched to english menus and speech.
Supports Hori Flight Stick (USB).

Another good flight sim is this title:

- "Aero Elite - Combat Academy" by SEGA (US: SLUS-20614)

And if you like WW2 planes try the "Zero Pilot" series by Sammy and "Zero Shikikan Josentoki" series by Taito.

Zero Pilot series:

- "Zero Pilot: Kokuu no Kiseki" (JPN: SLPS-25312)

- "Victory Wings: Zero Pilot Series" (JPN: SLPM-62511)

- "Zero Pilot: Zero" (JPN: SLPM-66459)
Supports Hori Flight Stick 2 (USB) (HP2-88).

Homepage:
http://www.zeropilot.com

Zero Shikikan Josentoki series:

- "Zero Shikikan Josentoki" (JPN: SLPM-65542) / "Aces of War" (PAL: SLES-52532)
Supports Hori Flight Stick (USB) and Hori Flight Stick 2 (USB) (HP2-88).

- "Zero Shikikan Josentoki Ni" (JPN: SLPM-66299)
Supports Hori Flight Stick (USB) and Hori Flight Stick 2 (USB) (HP2-88).

As already recommended the ace combat series, recently picked up no. 5 and it is one of the best games I've bought! Amazing story aswell.

Anybody here tried "Heroes of the Pacific"? I'm more enthralled by the WWII planes than jets. It sounds like it might be a bit more arcade-like than a flight simulator from the reviews I've read.

Already been said but I'll push my vote in for Ace Combat, it's a great series, especially 5 (Squadron Leader/Unsung War) and 6 (Zero), plus it's not a flight sim so it's not gonna get you having to do this that and the other all at the same time. Undoubtedly the best you're going to get out of PS2 flight games

Ace Combat is the best I ever played. I tried secret weapons over normandy and hero's of the pacific but meh....arcady ? In fact I never finished wings over the pacific...gotta get back to it...good games but NOT sims.

I go for the Ace Combat series. Beats all other air combat games by a landslide. I have Ace Combat 4: Shattered Skies (aka Distant Thunder) and it's a very good game. I have also played Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War and it's good also. I haven't played Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War yet, but I think it'll be very good.

In short, GET ACE COMBAT!!!

As others have said, Ace Combat isn't particularly realistic, but it's convincing enough for what it is -- a very entertaining modern air-combat game.

Ace Combat 04 and Zero both have positively excellent storylines and soundtracks, too...however, I didn't think AC5 was very good. :indiff:

Ace Combat 04 and Zero both have positively excellent storylines and soundtracks, too...however, I didn't think AC5 was very good. :indiff:

Agreed. I've heard from many sources that Ace Combat Five was weaker than the fourth (Shattered Skies) and the sixth (Zero, or the Belkan War).

I've also heard that Ace Combat Three: Electrosphere (For the PSOne) was the weakest Ace Combat so far.

PSOne, there's Ace Combat 1 (known as Air Combat in U.S.), AC2 (named changed back to Ace Combat), and AC3. For the PS2: AC4, AC5, and ACZero. For the PS3, although this game isn't out yet, AC7. Name has yet to be released. For the PSP: Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception.

I've also heard that Ace Combat Three: Electrosphere (For the PSOne) was the weakest Ace Combat so far.

I disagree. Not only was AC3 an enjoyable game all on its own, it was also compromised from what it should have been -- the exported versions of the game had the Japanese version's intricate storyline ripped out, leaving only the gameplay as an sort of empty shell.

The Japanese version of Ace Combat 3 was about as epic as the PS2 games are, and really established the whole storytelling thing that we now know Ace Combat games for.

Air Combat is very easily the weakest Ace Combat so far. :lol: Its storyline isn't even considered to be canon with the rest of the series, and its gameplay, graphics, and sound are all unrefined when compared to the later games...but hey, it was the first one. :)

I bought Ace Combat: The Belkan War today, I did not knew which version it was but thanks to some good info here, I now do so 👍

I gotta say, this is a very good game indeed. Although I had to retry the first level 3 times because it was quite nasty and hard for a first level, the second following levels were easier because I got used to it very quickly 👍 The graphics are rather on the good side I think, the planes are nicely drawed and into the deepest details as well 👍 I just hope the F-117 Nighthawk is in this one, guess not :D

I haven't got much experience with fly sims or fly arcade games though, but I take Ace Combat over Fly Simulator any time, much easier to play + it's on a PS2, Fly Simulator is on the PC which I don't like because of the usually bad controls, load times and the time it takes to install. You even need a good PC for it...

But this is only my opinion though, some might agree, some might disagree :D

I bought Ace Combat: The Belkan War today, I did not knew which version it was but thanks to some good info here, I now do so 👍

I gotta say, this is a very good game indeed. Although I had to retry the first level 3 times because it was quite nasty and hard for a first level, the second following levels were easier because I got used to it very quickly 👍 The graphics are rather on the good side I think, the planes are nicely drawed and into the deepest details as well 👍 I just hope the F-117 Nighthawk is in this one, guess not :D

I haven't got much experience with fly sims or fly arcade games though, but I take Ace Combat over Fly Simulator any time, much easier to play + it's on a PS2, Fly Simulator is on the PC which I don't like because of the usually bad controls, load times and the time it takes to install. You even need a good PC for it...

But this is only my opinion though, some might agree, some might disagree :D

After your done with Zero, I recommend 4 and 5. They're both dirt cheap and are both incredible.

yes, F-117 is in the game, and so are multiple other games. if you think that first mission is hard, wait for the few last ones.. on Ace level. I have Zero as well.. and the music and everything in it just rocks.

Another resounding note for the Ace Combat Series, at least the last three installments (4,5,Zero). Get all three as they each have something to offer that the others do not.

Anybody here tried "Heroes of the Pacific"? I'm more enthralled by the WWII planes than jets. It sounds like it might be a bit more arcade-like than a flight simulator from the reviews I've read.
"Heroes" is decent enough, but the problem is that even on simulation mode the game feels more like you are controlling the environment around the plane than the plane itself.

The exported versions of the game [Ace Combat 3]had the Japanese version's intricate storyline ripped out, leaving only the gameplay as an sort of empty shell.

Oh. Sorry, I didn't know that. However, I have heard somewhere (don't know if it's true) that the regular Japanese version had somewhere between 40-70 levels, although the exported versions had only 15-30 or something.

I bought Ace Combat: The Belkan War today

Great!:)

I did not knew which version it was

If you live outside Japan, it's likely that it is the exported version. Although I'm not sure whether the exported version was edited, or if it is exactly the same as the original Japanese version.

I gotta say, this is a very good game indeed. Although I had to retry the first level 3 times because it was quite nasty and hard for a first level, the second following levels were easier because I got used to it very quickly 👍 The graphics are rather on the good side I think, the planes are nicely drawed and into the deepest details as well 👍

I'll second that. I'll also recommend that after you finish Zero, you should get Four and Five. Four has a better rating than Five, but they are both enjoyable games.

I just hope the F-117 Nighthawk is in this one, guess not :D

The F-117 Nighthawk is in this game.

I take Ace Combat over Fly Simulator any time, much easier to play + it's on a PS2, Fly Simulator is on the PC which I don't like because of the usually bad controls, load times and the time it takes to install. You even need a good PC for it...

Yes, Ace Combat definitely pwns Flight Simulator. Ace Combat has great graphics, replay value, just enough difficulty, a great soundtrack, great planes, great levels (I could go on and on and on but I don't think you will want me to continue.)... ... ... :sly: Anything else I missed?:dopey:

By the way, everyone, if you like Ace Combat you might like to check out The Electrosphere, an Ace-Combat-themed website/forum. Leonidae and I are both members there.

yes, F-117 is in the game, and so are multiple other games. if you think that first mission is hard, wait for the few last ones.. on Ace level. I have Zero as well.. and the music and everything in it just rocks.

Have you fought Mobius 1 yet? :D I've already shot him down, although it was with the Morgan. I'll have to give it another shot with my trusty F-14D, but it'll be hard to kill Espada in less than a minute without the laser.

I want to get Zero... so...

for you people who already have it, how does it compare to the Fourth one, and what will you give it out of 10 stars?

I want to get Zero... so...

for you people who already have it, how does it compare to the Fourth one, and what will you give it out of 10 stars?

The most important differences between Zero and 04 is that Zero's gameplay is more refined (for example, missiles can now travel a lot farther, as they should), the graphics are improved slightly, and there are many more planes to fly.

Also, I personally think the story of Zero is almost on par with that of 04, and the music is great, too.

Out of 10, I'd give Zero an 8 or 9. I love it.

Played some other levels yesterday, I was to rescue the city Ust-and something (Ustea?), pwned every sinlge target when suddenly these two planes came to take me down. Man, what a dogfight! I had to chase them the whole time as I nearly couldn't find them, but I pwned them at the end as well :D

Now I have to complete a huge mission where I have to destroy all bunkers and stuff, meh, how boring level this is :indiff:

Bought a new plane though :D

Oh and before I forget, how does the F-117 fly? Is it any good? :D

Hey, how about lethal skies 2? I played this game recently and finished it. The game is pretty good. Its a mix between arcade and simulation. You dont get 70 missiles like in ac, you get what the real life plane can actually carry. you can land and re-arm in some missions. there are also different types of missiles too, some radar guided and some laser guided, air to air, air to ground, all purpose, long range, rockets, & homing rockets. . also there are flares and chaffs for when you've got a missile on your tail, though they get dropped automatically... the graphics arent as nice as ac by a long shot but its worth a play once you've finished the ac series. pretty nice selection of jets too... overall the game is pretty fun but can get extremly hard.. it can also be had pretty cheap too.

Woah, I'm stuck on this serious big mission here. I have to stop a V2 from launching, whenI come up at the dam, it all seems like it's underground :confused:

Any hints or tips here?

BTW: I'm flying the "Terminator", one hell of a plane, previous missions were a pleasure to play, especially the mission where planes came out of a tunnel and you had to destroy 'em, beautiful dogfight 👍

I wonder I'll ever fight Pixey, he seems to just disappeared...

They are and you will notice the opening to fly in by either of the two towers (or in the centre of area).

As for the Pixy take care of the missles first:sly:

Played some other levels yesterday, I was to rescue the city Ust-and something (Ustea?), pwned every sinlge target when suddenly these two planes came to take me down.

Ustio is the country that was invaded as well as the one you're from, Directus is the Capital and the city that you liberated.

Oh and before I forget, how does the F-117 fly? Is it any good? :D

It doesn't really fly that differently from any other plane. That's one of Ace Combat's realism weaknesses. However, it strangely responds very well to yaw.

Woah, I'm stuck on this serious big mission here. I have to stop a V2 from launching, whenI come up at the dam, it all seems like it's underground :confused:

Any hints or tips here?

Uh...as dubbed said, they are underground. Look for a tunnel entrance just beyond the dam. It's sort of on the middle-right.

Having to fly through a tunnel is just an Ace Combat thing. Every Ace Combat since the 3rd one has had a tunnel, although I'm not sure about the first two. :lol:

Can anyone tell me where to unlock the F-117A? FAQ's say mission 14, team Mars, did it, haven't got it :indiff:

Back