What are the worst GT-original tracks? Why? And how do we fix them?

• Thread starter MIE1992
  • 61 comments
United States
Connecticut
Ridley-X4
Assuming all GT-original courses from GT5-onwards (i.e. when online play became far more commonplace for the series) returned in a future game that also included a Sport Mode analogue, what do you think would be the worst courses and why? And how would you propose to fix their issues? For example, I know that Tokyo Expressway isn't great in Sport Mode because of its lack of run-off area - which is a shame since it's very pretty and can be fun to drive otherwise. My other likely picks would probably be other tight city courses, including Madrid and London.

Regardless of what your picks were, here were some solutions I came up with:

-Remove these courses from Sport Mode rotation, but leave them available for Lobbies, the campaign (GT League or otherwise), and Single Races. Or let them into competitive modes where it's asynchronous, like a Drift Trial or Time Attack sort of mode.

-Slightly modify them to have a run-off of some sort - though for the city courses, I suppose this could be tricky. Perhaps a city park or lawn? I'd personally advise taking a look at what real-world street circuits do in this regard.

-Keep them in Sport Mode, but limit the field to the classic GT quantity of six racers on the grid.

Cape Ring from GT5 comes to mind. Frankly a ridiculous track that looks like it belongs in GTA or WipeOut.

I like your first suggestion: no bonus Original circuits in Sport Mode. I wish GTSport was structured this way already. I never race at Alsace, Maggiore, Kyoto, or Tokyo as it is. If GTSport had more real world circuits, we'd never have to race on these in Sport Mode.

There are many real world circuits that have no run off. Macau, Monaco(may have two or three spots), Pao, a couple of seaside tracks in Thailand, Surfers Paradise, Norisring.
Madrid and London actually have spots to "Park" a car rather than run off, As in, wider spots if a player runs into trouble.

I'd definitely prefer the real tracks in GT's franchise, to supplant the Original ones, in Sport Mode. However, a track like Dragon Trail, has good run off at its variations.

Weren't Trial Mountain and Grand Valley improves for more run off?

If its GT6 I think the most complained about is Special Stage 7... that's a track dominated by the roll racing king, the JZA80 Supra.

In GTS I feel its the inner Tokyo Expressway ie. one without the long runway straight.

I used to think it was Alsace reverse but I got used to it.

Overall I dont think they should change anything... we can work with bad tracks. They just need to add the old backlog like Midfield Grand Valley Nordwand r246 and even SS Route 7...

Alsace is the worst offender. Not very fun, and doesn't make sense at all. It tries to look like a street circuit, even has street signs, but it's obviously not a public road since there's no exit road or anything. It's just bad, from an aesthetic and race flow pov.
Come now. That Bombs of Baghdad Blue Moon Lagoon track, is the worse of the lot.

Alsace going forward is awesome... lots of chained corners and its has good flow. It also drifts nice. I think that none of the GTS tracks have that 'charm'... I reckon 5yrs down the track few people will be asking to bring back Blue Balls Bay or Dragon Tail etc.

Come now. That Bombs of Baghdad Blue Moon Lagoon track, is the worse of the lot.

TBH I like Blue Moon Inlay B (the one with the most turns, and least oval part). It's decent - not great by any means. But I enjoy it much more than Alsace. Other than that, you can throw all the other "oval" tracks to the garbage. I really don't know why they are in the game. I would've, if GTS would have had a NASCAR race car group, but since it doesn't have, besides the Blue Moon Inlay B, these stupid oval tracks make no sense for either GT4/TC/SP/GT3/GT300/GTE/GT500/LMP1/GrC/F1 cars (basically all the -real- name of the race categories for the cars featured in GTS). No sense whatsoever.

2 points:
1. If it fails?
2. There's a braking point that starts while you're jumping
I was kidding :D
I can see this going wrong in so many ways lol
It would not be a question of whether it will fail, rather than if it will actually succeed :D

I wonder if you would get -SR for scraping the roof of another car?

I was kidding :D
I can see this going wrong in so many ways lol
It would not be a question of whether it will fail, rather than if it will actually succeed :D

I wonder if you would get -SR for scraping the roof of another car?
:D

I wonder who gets the penalty too

There are many real world circuits that have no run off. Macau, Monaco(may have two or three spots), Pao, a couple of seaside tracks in Thailand, Surfers Paradise, Norisring.
Madrid and London actually have spots to "Park" a car rather than run off, As in, wider spots if a player runs into trouble.

I'd definitely prefer the real tracks in GT's franchise, to supplant the Original ones, in Sport Mode. However, a track like Dragon Trail, has good run off at its variations.

Weren't Trial Mountain and Grand Valley improves for more run off?

*HOT TAKE * Honestly if Macau was a original GT track i wouldn't be surprised that track is as silly as Cape Ring from GT5

As far as after GT5 goes, Alcase instantly comes to mind, but it's decent in reverse so meh. Dragon Trail's chicane is a nightmare, had a championship race ruined because there were so many Full Course Yellows and couldn't find a competitive opportunity to change compounds.

But for any GT originals, I'd say both layouts of SSR11, as great as they are. Imagine any attempt of a SPORT mode race there :lol:

Unpopular opinion, the fantasy tracks are mostly better than the most of the real world tracks imho. I find they have a better flow. I will agree that the Toyko Expressway tracks aren't good in sport mode, but fine in lobbies. Kyoto is quickly becoming one of my favorite tracks in the game.

Alsace is the worst offender. Not very fun, and doesn't make sense at all. It tries to look like a street circuit, even has street signs, but it's obviously not a public road since there's no exit road or anything. It's just bad, from an aesthetic and race flow pov.

Exactly. And then you have the stupid left kink right before the last hairpin which sort of ruins what would have been a great overtaking spot. I wish they make som changes here and there and make it look like a permanent track or something lol.

Unpopular opinion, the fantasy tracks are mostly better than the most of the real world tracks imho. I find they have a better flow. I will agree that the Toyko Expressway tracks aren't good in sport mode, but fine in lobbies. Kyoto is quickly becoming one of my favorite tracks in the game.
I 50/50 agree. It's a hit-and-miss for me. If PD fails at one track, like Alsace, they really fail at it so bad. But when they pull it off, like Kyoto and Dragon Trail, it's an instant classic

I don't really understand the disdain for Alsace and I've raced on it plenty of times in Sport Mode, though it was mostly Daily A races with N-class cars. Might try a custom race later.

I 50/50 agree. It's a hit-and-miss for me. If PD fails at one track, like Alsace, they really fail at it so bad. But when they pull it off, like Kyoto and Dragon Trail, it's an instant classic

What would you say are the best original courses from the older games? And how would you potentially change them to make them work with Sport Mode (e.g. adding a run-off area)?

We should also keep in mind that even if an older circuit isn't too great, it could undergo some interesting changes the next time it's included, as we can see with the Rome circuit - I recall it was changed a remarkable amount between its iterations in GT3 and in GT5/6.

I really do like the idea of the various city circuits that take placed in real cities and locales - Seoul, NYC, Hong Kong, London, Madrid - but I really don't know how well some of them could work. I think it would indeed be ideal if the maximum field of some of these courses was six, just like the older GT games. Any more and things could get real ugly, real fast. As for the super-narrow circuits in GT4 that were limited to two cars, perhaps that could be used for a time attack or rally mode, where there would be staggered launches and your time would determine if you win rather than your position.

Back