What are your computer specs? Thread.

Tomorrow should be a fun day. Gonna head over to the Micro Center here in Brooklyn and buy some upgrades. Not a new video card though because LOL.

UfMk8CB.gif

I'm still fighting on which mobo I want, but the things I have narrowed down:

• 5800X (5000-series is the last AM4 CPUs anyway so might as well go big. I'd get the 5900 if it were in stock there)
  • 980 Pro 1TB
  • Crucial 16GB 3600 (I'd go higher if it were available but I can upgrade the memory literally any time, so who cares).

Last edited:
TB
CPU
i5 3570k​

CPU Cooler
Cooler Master Hyper TX3​

Motherboard
ASRock Z77 Extreme4​

Memory
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB DDR3-1600
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB DDR3-1600​

Storage
Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD (OS)
1TB Seagate Barracuda (almost full)
Need more​

Video card
MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB​

Case
NZXT Source 210 Elite in white​

Power supply
600W Thermaltake TR2​

Optical drive
Asus Blu-Ray Reader​

OS
Windows 8, 64 bit​
Seven years later and the only changes are a replaced motherboard, the 1TB drive was replaced with a 2TB drive then an 8TB external was added and Windows 8 was upgraded to 10. She's still kickin', though!

Using 4GB of ram and a 32-bit OS is brave in 2021.

Note: I am on a fixed and limited income and have no, no, no means of saving money for anything new. I was ripped off back in 2015 when I got this DELL POTATO. If I would of known that this would of been the end result, I wouldn't of gotten it. Nope.

It's not brave, it's underprivilege.

I'm still fighting on which mobo I want, but the things I have narrowed down:

• 5800X (5000-series is the last AM4 CPUs anyway so might as well go big. I'd get the 5900 if it were in stock there)
  • 980 Pro 1TB
  • Crucial 16GB 3600 (I'd go higher if it were available but I can upgrade the memory literally any time, so who cares).

As someone who recently upgraded to a 5800x, make sure you have a decent cooler. They tend to run warm.

You know what I've just realized? History is repeating itself in comedic fashion. No, not with AMD taking the crown again. They'll always go back and forth. History is repeating itself in that AMD is back on top and Intel's current efforts run hot and are power hungry. When was the last time this happened you may be wondering (especially if you're new)? The days of AMD's K8 and Intel's Presler and Prescott arcs.

I realized that earlier today and thought it was hilarious.

Still giving the case a thorough cleaning but here she is, about 75% upgraded (80%?):

Sj2EBRG.jpg

Last time I upgraded came in 2017 when I bought my Acer K2 monitor, before that the last major hardware upgrade was the year prior when I upgraded from two HD6950's to the current GTX 970. Prior to Thursday, I'd been chugging along on this since 2012:

CPU
i5 3570k​
CPU Cooler
XSPC Rasa 750 RS360​
Motherboard
ASUS Sabertooth Z77​
Memory
G.Skill Sniper 4GB DDR3-1600
G.Skill Sniper 4GB DDR3-1600
G.Skill Sniper 4GB DDR3-1600​
Storage
Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD (OS)
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Seagate Expansion Drive (stripped from the enclosure, now resides within my case)​
Video card
ASUS Radeon HD6950 DCII 2GB
Sapphire Radeon HD6950 2GB​
Case
Cooler Master HAF-X​
Power supply
750W Cooler Master Real Power Pro (Also have a Corsair HX1000W)​
OS
Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit
Misc
Black Magic Intensity Pro capture card
ASUS Xonar DX (with custom firmware)
Gigabyte Aivia Osmium GK mechanical keyboard (Cherry MX Red)
Noppoo Choc Mid 87 mechanical keyboard (Cherry MX Blue)​

So let's chat a bit. X570 may or may not be the last hoorah for current AMD processors. There may be a Zen 3+, especially with the way things are going right now (which can equally be argued why it wouldn't happen) but this is, at least for now, effectively a dead platform and I'm more than fine with that this time around. There are two upgrade paths for me, CPU-wise in the 5900 and 5950X; I'd already have the former if Microcenter had any in stock when I went on my spree earlier this week. Once I can finally upgrade my GPU, I won't have anything remotely close to a bottleneck for the next 10 years or so outside of the GPU, so there's that.

Now, there's a lot I have to either re-learn or learn outright and I have to really get into this again. I'm excited. I'll update the specs in another post. :D

PC came in today. Thanks to OneDrive and LastPass up and running in no time with all my files and credentials etc. Now redownloading a couple of games. Cyberpunk 1440p RT here I come! :D

And that's before checking new GPU prices. :lol:

Anyway, I bought a new rig yesterday:

Core i7-11700
RTX 3060ti
16GB DDR4
512GB NVME M2 SSD
2TB HDD

Some crazyness: a 3060Ti is completely unavailable here, except from scalpers and then you pay 1000EUR. For an additional 300 EUR however I can buy this whole PC including case, PSU, mouse and keyboard, Windows 10 and warranty (New Dell XPS Tower). So the market is so crazy that I can buy a gaming rig at Dell and not have a nasty taste in my mouth as an end result, what a time to be alive ROFLMAO. :lol:

It's pretty mid-tier:
Ryzen 3600x
Nvidia GT 1600 ti
Ripjaws 16 GB ram
1tb m.2 ssd
corsair 450W psu
it mostly use it for casual gaming and as college essay writer. Does the job. But i'll probably be upgrading it soon, only if the graphics card become available on the market again, lol

Last edited:
My computer is primarily cobbled together with parts from my father's old office computers, aside from a few things (GPU, case, wifi card, SSD and Power Supply)

Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh (Upgraded from a Antec 100)
CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 in a Gigabyte MATX MoBo
RAM: 8GB of DDR3 1600MHz (I have enough leftover RAM to give it 12GB, but the computer goes into a bootloop with anything but 8GB)
GPU: ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1070 (Bought just before the GPU prices went insane)
SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 512GB
Wifi Card: Some Asus Wifi + BT card

The CPU is a little bit of a bottleneck in some games, and I would like more RAM, but I am saving that for a CPU+MoBo upgrade to move to DDR4.

Built a new PC back in november 2020:

Ryzen 7 3700x
Asus Dual OC 5700xt
Gigabyte B550M H motherboard
Kingston HyperX 2x8GB 3333Mhz DDR4 Ram
250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
4TB Toshiba HDD
Silentium Signum SG1V EVO TG ARGB case (very good one)
650W Thermaltake PSU

Acer XZ272 P 27" 1080p 165Hz screen
LG Flatron L1718S 1280x1024 75Hz second screen

Logitech G29
Cooler Master CK350 keyboard
Steel Series 3 mouse

Last edited:
20210622_194435.jpg

It's been a while and and yes, I know my cable management is terrible.

Case: Still using a NZXT Tempest 210
Fans: Noctua NF-P12 Redux
OS Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB
Misc Drives: 500GB Seagate Barracuda as old as time itself, 1TB Western Digital Green, 1TB Western Digital Black, 2TB Western Digital Blue, 4TB Seagate Barracuda (uninstalled)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming
RAM: Corsair Vegance LPX 16GB DDR4
Graphics: Zotac RTX 2070 Super Mini
Capture Card: Avermedia Live Gamer HD 2
Power Supply: Seasonic 750w
Sound: SB Recon3D

And lots and lots of dust.

• CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x (Undecided on 5600x or 5800x for gaming also waiting for Microcenter to drop price a tad more on either)
  • RAM: Corsair Dominator 3200 MHz 16GB
  • Motherboard: MSI B550 Gaming Plus
  • GPU: AMD 6800 XT Midnight Black (Upgraded from MSI 3060 Ti Ventus probably use as a HTPC)
  • NVME: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB | Western Digital SN550 1 TB
  • SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB (OS Drive)
  • PSU: Corsair RM 750 80+ Gold Fully Modular
  • Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock 2 Black
  • Fans: 4x 140mm Unifans 3x 120mm Unifans
  • Case: be quiet Silent Base 802

Attachments

• Radeon.jpg
    Radeon.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Quick question to you knowledgable peeps...

As far as I'm concerned, my computer is fitted with: 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (2 × 16GB).

However... Windows reports the following...

1641239754407.png

Is this normal, is something amiss?

edit:

Nevermind... BIOS profile was at default. Forgot I'd had load the defaults a while ago.

Last edited:
Quick question to you knowledgable peeps...

As far as I'm concerned, my computer is fitted with: 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (2 × 16GB).

However... Windows reports the following...

View attachment 1103280

Is this normal, is something amiss?

edit:

Nevermind... BIOS profile was at default. Forgot I'd had load the defaults a while ago.
I think u have to go to the bios and change the frequency. I could be wrong :/

Upgraded from the 9th gen i9 setup.

Intel Core i9 12900KF (cooled by Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX Liquid CPU Cooler - 360mm rad)
Asus ROG Strix Z690-E Gaming motherboard
32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 PC5600
2x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB pcie nvme ssd
EVGA RTX 3080 ti FTW3 Ultra gaming
Corsair AX1200 PSU (this monster is still going since 2011)
Corsair Crystal Series 570X RGB Steel / Tempered Glass ATX Mid Tower Case

1643552825053.png

1643553227994.png

1643553574278.png

Last edited:
Upgraded from the 9th gen i9 setup.

Intel Core i9 12900KF (cooled by Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX Liquid CPU Cooler - 360mm rad)
Asus ROG Strix Z690 motherboard
32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 PC5600
2x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB pcie nvme ssd
Corsair AX1200 PSU (this monster is still going since 2011)
Corsair Crystal Series 570X RGB Steel / Tempered Glass ATX Mid Tower Case
Nice build! Sounds like one you will enjoy for a long time.

I plan on ordering the DDR5 for my 12700k build next week as I already have everything else.
I also will go with the 32gb 5600 memory.

Motherboard I went with the Gigabyte Aorus Pro z690 this go round.
I normally use ASUS boards but I thought that they overpriced the current z690 boards as compared to the competition plus I prefer air cooling and the tall heatsinks on the better ASUS boards interfere with the using the larger air coolers.
I went with the NH-D15 air cooler and a Fractal Design Torrent case.

Also I only went with 1 2tb 980 pro SSD and 1 2tb 970 evo+ as I felt really only possibly needed the extra speed of the 980 pro on the main drive and saved some money on the secondary storage drive.
PSU I went with a Seasonic 1300w platinum. I have been exclusively using Seasonic PSU's for over 20 years without the first problem or failure.

To begin with I am going to just use the 3080 out of my 10700k build (I have a 1070 to temporarily put in that) but plan on buying a 4080 for the 12700k build when they are released. I am guessing the vanilla 4080 MSRP will be somewhere around $1000-$1100 and hopefully I can get lucky as with my 3080 and secure one near the original launch for MSRP pricing.

This will probably be the last PC I build for the foreseeable future. My 10700k is awesome but I run one strictly gaming only PC and one everyday PC.
I really wanted to upgrade my current everyday PC, hence decided to build the Alder lake for my new gaming PC and transition the 10700 pc to my everyday unit replacing an aging 6700k build that is my current everyday PC.

This way both of my PC's will be fairly up to date and should do everything I want out of them for multiple years.
Getting to the point price wise these days that building a new system every couple of years just cost too much overall.

Last edited:
I have one of those, minus the TI, coming to me in the mail this week. I have finally been able to get a new video card. Now I probably need to upgrade everything else, but at least I will have a replacement for my biggest bottleneck.

Nice build! Sounds like one you will enjoy for a long time.

I plan on ordering the DDR5 for my 12700k build next week as I already have everything else.
I also will go with the 32gb 5600 memory.

Motherboard I went with the Gigabyte Aorus Pro z690 this go round.
I normally use ASUS boards but I thought that they overpriced the current z690 boards as compared to the competition plus I prefer air cooling and the tall heatsinks on the better ASUS boards interfere with the using the larger air coolers.
I went with the NH-D15 air cooler and a Fractal Design Torrent case.

Also I only went with 1 2tb 980 pro SSD and 1 2tb 970 evo+ as I felt really only possibly needed the extra speed of the 980 pro on the main drive and saved some money on the secondary storage drive.
PSU I went with a Seasonic 1300w platinum. I have been exclusively using Seasonic PSU's for over 20 years without the first problem or failure.

To begin with I am going to just use the 3080 out of my 10700k build (I have a 1070 to temporarily put in that) but plan on buying a 4080 for the 12700k build when they are released. I am guessing the vanilla 4080 MSRP will be somewhere around $1000-$1100 and hopefully I can get lucky as with my 3080 and secure one near the original launch for MSRP pricing.

This will probably be the last PC I build for the foreseeable future. My 10700k is awesome but I run one strictly gaming only PC and one everyday PC.
I really wanted to upgrade my current everyday PC, hence decided to build the Alder lake for my new gaming PC and transition the 10700 pc to my everyday unit replacing an aging 6700k build that is my current everyday PC.

This way both of my PC's will be fairly up to date and should do everything I want out of them for multiple years.
Getting to the point price wise these days that building a new system every couple of years just cost too much overall.
Thanks. Everything has been working great so far right out of the box. I have the ASUS AI overclocking turned on but from some benchmarking things I've read I'm not sure how much of a difference it really makes on this generation other than making things hotter :lol:

My top choice would have been an EVGA motherboard, but they don't like to have theirs ready for the release of new chips, and lord knows the queues for those will probably be as bad as the video cards (I guess the queue went up last week for the high end Kingpin edition finally, but no other Z690 boards from them yet). ASUS is a solid second choice though and I've done builds for family and friends in the past with good experiences. I wasn't worried about the tall heatsinks since I knew I'd be on the AIO water cooler. I briefly had my i9 9900k on air and it was throttling a lot. In the past I had some MSI boards to keep price down and they always lasted forever but the BIOS menus and documentation always left a lot to be desired and I swear the XMP profiles for the RAM would never stay set.

I wouldn't be making too many plans around being able to get a 4080 when they release after how hard its been to get 3000 series cards :lol:. I want to grab another case and PSU to get my previous setup running but I gave my 1080ti to a friend last summer and my 2080ti to my dad back in the fall so I don't have a video card to put in it and I'm not sure what I'm going to do about that.

I have one of those, minus the TI, coming to me in the mail this week. I have finally been able to get a new video card. Now I probably need to upgrade everything else, but at least I will have a replacement for my biggest bottleneck.
Did you end up having to bite the bullet with a reseller or were you in the queue or just got lucky?

I'm not, no. Haven't the prices there inflated a bit as well?
Everything is more expensive than the previous generation but you at least get to buy at MSRP once your number is called. The EVGA TI cards have only gotten through a couple days of the queue since launching at the beginning of last June though. If you aren't in within the first couple hours of the queue going up it's basically pointless with the current demand (queued during the early access day June 3rd within the first 2 hours once the site started working and didn't get to buy until the beginning of September). Not sure how the other brands work.

Did you end up having to bite the bullet with a reseller or were you in the queue or just got lucky?

Everything is more expensive than the previous generation but you at least get to buy at MSRP once your number is called. The EVGA TI cards have only gotten through a couple days of the queue since launching at the beginning of last June though. If you aren't in within the first couple hours of the queue going up it's basically pointless with the current demand (queued during the early access day June 3rd within the first 2 hours once the site started working and didn't get to buy until the beginning of September). Not sure how the other brands work.
I was in the EVGA queue. They sent me an email that my number had been called and I had 20 hours to purchase the card.

Last edited:
The plain 3060 must have been more available. When I got the queue notification, it was the $400 version with the backplate. Some weeks later I got a notification for the one without the backplate at $340, which I believe was already up from $330. Now they are $400 and $430 respectively.

I thought I had shipped it to the office, but I messed that up. It has arrived! Now to just take out the old video card and install new video card drivers.

PXL_20220202_202744587 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
You guys with your shiny new 12th Gen i-whatever CPUs and big, bad GPUs and I'm still rocking a 3rd Gen i5 and a GTX770. :lol:

Back