What are your realistic expectations in terms of visuals and audio simulation in GT7?

• Thread starter ArR29
  • 135 comments
If PD is bringing back full-on dynamic time and weather, hopefully every track will get them. I don't know how much work it is to make a track dynamic but if Slightly Mad Studios is able to do it for every one of the many tracks in Project Cars, PD with their at least similar budget and resource pool should be able to too.

Good points but don’t forget the UE5 scales the objects to meet the target resolution. Yes, the statues are compiled of 15 000 polygons, however the actual amount of polygons depends on other factors. And so long as this adaptive scalability works, you can put pretty much any number of these statues in the scene, the final polygon count will be roughly the same. It’s basically like a super-adaptive LOD system as far as I understand.

Btw: I feel like GT7 will finally beat DriveClub’s weather effects :) no other game has so far.
Agreed. I think GT7 will leave us in awe. It will be like GT2-GT3 in terms of whats possible.

If PD is bringing back full-on dynamic time and weather, hopefully every track will get them. I don't know how much work it is to make a track dynamic but if Slightly Mad Studios is able to do it for every one of the many tracks in Project Cars, PD with their at least similar budget and resource pool should be able to too.
On PS3 there were able to able to offset massive amounts of work via SPEs. I'm pretty sure weather/dynamic time was handled by CELL, as were lots of graphical elements because the GPU (7800) was a joke.
The Jaguar CPU this generation was just a cheap notebook CPU, PD had to leverage the GPU to handle lots of physics over and above the graphical work.

Next gen.. we're back to having a powerhouse CPU. We got a powerhouse GPU, we also have a super fast SSD that can literally save GPU/CPU performance and put textures directly into games. On top of this, theres a completely dedicated Audio chip (Tempest engine), so even that frees up CPU performance.

If PD wanted (if its a priority) all that extra juice can be used for anything. We all want dynamic weather/day/night change over something like.... 240fps. which is unnecessary imho.

I know Sony have ICE team but it would be great if all the first party teams could collaborate more to accelerate progress even faster. Even though environments look quite realistic now but in the real world there is so much detail that is missing currently in-game. I wonder if they can show that depth and richness of detail now that they've got so much power. Seeing Death Stranding graphics quality and knowing PS5 should be able push much more detail at double or maybe even quadruple frame-rates should mean great things for how good GT could look. Will be cool if the cars can interact with the surfaces more and with better effects, imagine mud slides. They can render things in a different way, I wonder if we will get to experience closer to full fidelity of the track details now that they can stream geometry so quick and have the processing power to interact with such surfaces.

Hope they do tracks like Trial Mountain up with super detailed environment (Need to see Loch Ness monster again) with lush greenery. The tunnel there will be great location to hear reverberation, imagine something like the 812 Superfast going through there. Hopefully they can now pull the car sounds off soon given PS5 is an audio beast too.

After seeing the gameplay trailer, I don't expect much in audio.

Their sounds still have the same problems, such as the upshifts, lack of proper half/off throttle samples etc. They have big issues to solve, and that should be the priority. But I think that will not change, because they seem to be satisfied with what they have now.

I believe that what will be worked on is the positioning of sounds. I imagine that any sound source will be fully 3D, both inside and outside of the car. Replays, especially, can benefit greatly from this. One thing I think would be nice is if they could get the sound to interact with walls and objects on the track.

Still early days, let's wait and see how it will evolve.

After seeing the gameplay trailer, I don't expect much in audio.

Their sounds still have the same problems, such as the upshifts, lack of proper half/off throttle samples etc. They have big issues to solve, and that should be the priority. But I think that will not change, because they seem to be satisfied with what they have now.

I believe that what will be worked on is the positioning of sounds. I imagine that any sound source will be fully 3D, both inside and outside of the car. Replays, especially, can benefit greatly from this. One thing I think would be nice is if they could get the sound to interact with walls and objects on the track.

Still early days, let's wait and see how it will evolve.
Yeah it basically sounds and looks like an updated version of GTS with higher resolution and some better reflections

After seeing the higher resolution footage I think the game is actually pretty damn good. Yeah, it's disappointing to see that trees and vegetations still don't have actual physics. But I think the graphics will improve. I also notice some details missing in audio like for example there's no reverb when entering tunnels.

Who cares about 3D trees and vegetations? I mean, really... Such nonsense.

I expect the game to be visually great, but I place features over visual excellence any day of the week... I mean, definitely sacrifice some quality and detail for dynamic weather, for complete FPS stability and total smoothness.
60 FPS is also a must obviously, I count on that for granted. Now the question is, will they be able to do 4k / 60 FPS with stability? Hope so.

Who cares about 3D trees and vegetations? I mean, really... Such nonsense.

I expect the game to be visually great, but I place features over visual excellence any day of the week... I mean, definitely sacrifice some quality and detail for dynamic weather, for complete FPS stability and total smoothness.
60 FPS is also a must obviously, I count on that for granted. Now the question is, will they be able to do 4k / 60 FPS with stability? Hope so.

I do, now I do. I don't care it being static on GTS, but now we are talking about much more powerful and capable hardware. Look at what Driveclub managed to do on the base PS4. I expected something at that level on GT7.

I do, now I do. I don't care it being static on GTS, but now we are talking about much more powerful and capable hardware. Look at what Driveclub managed to do on the base PS4. I expected something at that level on GT7.
Dont know about you but when I play driving games and when I race, I watch the track, its limits, the barriers, the racing line, the kerbs, the other cars.... The stuff that matters.
And the very last thing I do is looking at the trees and vegetation if its static or not.... :lol:
Driveclub was an arcadey game running at 30 FPS... Also with how many simultaneous cars on track at the same time? Maybe 8, or 10 at most?

Dont know about you but when I play driving games and when I race, I watch the track, its limits, the barriers, the racing line, the kerbs, the other cars.... The stuff that matters.
And the very last thing I do is looking at the trees and vegetation if its static or not.... :lol:
Driveclub was an arcadey game running at 30 FPS... Also with how many simultaneous cars on track at the same time? Maybe 8, or 10 at most?
But static vegetation breaks immersion, especially in a race where it is clearly windy. It will give the game an unbalanced look if you consider how well the lighting is done. The PS5 should be powerful enough for them to improve on this.

But static vegetation breaks immersion, especially in a race where it is clearly windy. It will give the game an unbalanced look if you consider how well the lighting is done. The PS5 should be powerful enough for them to improve on this.
I highly doubt real life racing drivers watch trees and leaves to see if its windy or not, or even if they watch the vegetation at all.
I also doubt you can see trees and vegetation movement at all, going at 150-200 km/h or more...

Reveal didn't really impress me. Can anyone take a similar picture in GTS to compare to this:

granturismo7announcemb4j82.png

I highly doubt real life racing watch trees and leaves to see if its windy or not. I highly doubt professional racers watch the vegetation at all.
I also doubt you can see trees and vegetation movement at all, going at 150-200 km/h or more...
Personally, I'm satisfied with the graphics after seeing the 4K footage. But still disappointing to see that they're using static vegetations. I know there are so many important things they should focus on but having real physics will give a more next gen look.

Personally, I'm satisfied with the graphics after seeing the 4K footage. But still disappointing to see that they're using static vegetations. I know there are so many important things they should focus on but having real physics will give a more next gen look.
If you don’t mind me asking what do you mean by static vegetation’s? Do you want everything in the background moving? I know the grass and the flowers move... the dirt from the tracks gets kicked up and thrown on the track also..

You can have real physics without the unnecessary hassle of making realistic vegetation movements that would take many resources away... Maybe in an open world game with natural landscapes makes more sense, but in a driving game?
Reveal didn't really impress me. Can anyone take a similar picture in GTS to compare to this:

granturismo7announcemb4j82.png
This screenshot is actually 1080.

If you don’t mind me asking what do you mean by static vegetation’s? Do you want everything in the background moving? I know the grass and the flowers move... the dirt from the tracks gets kicked up and thrown on the track also..
Just like the trees and vegetations in GTSport they don't move or sway and they're not affected by real time physics in the game.

We’ve basically hit the level of photorealism now. This short trailer had much improved trackside textures & vegetation.

Moving forward it will be about improving details like debris, sparks, dust etc. Plus the major rumour about dynamic lighting & weather.

For those of us who do not have PS4 Pro but own a 4k tv, GT7 will be a nice big leap graphically from standard PS4 GT Sport.

We could guess that the on track car LOD may potentially double compared to GT Sport on PS4 Pro. I'd like to be able to see all gauge clusters when driving this time around, lol. I have never seen so many shadows on the dashboard until I played GT Sport at certain times of day :)

On PS3 there were able to able to offset massive amounts of work via SPEs. I'm pretty sure weather/dynamic time was handled by CELL, as were lots of graphical elements because the GPU (7800) was a joke.
The Jaguar CPU this generation was just a cheap notebook CPU, PD had to leverage the GPU to handle lots of physics over and above the graphical work.

Next gen.. we're back to having a powerhouse CPU. We got a powerhouse GPU, we also have a super fast SSD that can literally save GPU/CPU performance and put textures directly into games. On top of this, theres a completely dedicated Audio chip (Tempest engine), so even that frees up CPU performance.

If PD wanted (if its a priority) all that extra juice can be used for anything. We all want dynamic weather/day/night change over something like.... 240fps. which is unnecessary imho.

based on what you both are saying, there is a good chance that we will have dynamic time and weather... although we didn't see the options within the track selection screen...

full

Hoping to see more from Kaz/PD/GT7...

This is the closest I could get in terms of similar lighting and steering angle:

gMUEJIN.gif

Doesn't look much better, aside from the improvement in reflections and the rear view mirror. I assume they'll improve the graphics, like trackside details and lighting, as time goes by. I don't think they'll release the game any sooner than Autumn 2021, anyway.

Back