What Camera View do You Use for Online Racing?

• Thread starter NoobMan DS
  • 9 comments

What Camera View do You Use for Online Racing?

• Chase Near/Follow Low

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Chase Far/Follow High

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Cockpit

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Driver (closer to the windshield)

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Hood

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Bumper

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NoobMan DS

Noob King
Premium
Indonesia
Jakarta
I have been wondering about this for a while. I see that a lot of the rather well-known YouTubers (Super GT, ISuckAtDriving, Deoxide, etc.) who play this game use chase cam in their online racing videos. When I was a kid, the chase cam was always my favorite, because being able to see the car I was driving, was really quite something. It adds to the visual enjoyment of the game, and it's also something impossible in real life :D. But after getting myself introduced to more and more driving games with realism thrown into the physics (from so-called "simcade" games like Forza Horizon to racing simulation titles like GTR 2), I found myself getting more comfortable with cockpit views and hood views. In Forza Horizon 4 in particular, I am most comfortable with the hood view. For some reason, despite seeing less of my car's body, it is the view that allows me to have the greatest sense of whether my car's going to break traction or not. I still enjoy chase cam during free roam, but when I am aiming to get at least a half decent result in a race, I usually use hood cam (excluding The Eliminator, Freeroam Rush, and Playground Games, because chase cam really helps me avoid trees and other obstacles). I am more likely to fishtail or lose control in other ways while playing in chase cam.

I don't actually play online that much though. I usually just race online to complete "The Trial" seasonal events, or to get myself ranked in hopes of getting more progress in the monthly Festival Playlist.

So, why the question? The thing is, when I'm racing online with hood cam, I sometimes bump or scrape the sides of other people's cars. This sometimes happens while turning into the apex of a corner, or exiting a corner and reaching the outside again. It's not that bad to the point where it causes someone to miss a checkpoint, but I imagine it still annoys some people. Chase cam allows me to get a better view of my surroundings, despite making it harder for me to get a feel for the car's behavior, so I thought maybe I should practice with it more.

Which camera view do you usually use in online races? Should I focus on getting better with chase cam, using it more often in preparation of primarily using chase cam during online races with other people in the future?

By the way, I play with a PS3 SIXAXIS controller on my laptop, not a wheel.

Last edited:
I use chase far for every game. It's what I'm most comfortable with. I like having a good view around my car when I'm driving.

I stick to interior view almost religiously for all games whether online or off. If it’s not available I’d switch to bumper view, but because I’m so used to interior, even that throws me off a little.

Chase since I’ve been using it for 30 + years and can get an idea how much space to give cars around me. I run faster with interior cam in rivals.

Against ai I use chase or interior, as I flip-flop between wanting an immersive race, and wanting to admire my car.

But online I always use hood/roof camera. I find I'm more worried about griefing others than losing the race, so I use those views to ensure I don't make contact. Something I wouldn't be able to see in the other views outside of bumper cam, which gives the least visibility.

I use hood view almost exclusively. The only exception to this is if I'm running an Eliminator race in one of the really low-slung cars. Sometimes you can't see at all (e.g. in the oilseed rape fields) in which case I'll use the chase view

This brings up a real pet peeve of mine with Horizon 4 and that is lack of good support for rear view mirror outside of the deep cockpit view, but when using a driving chair that view kinda sucks as the steering wheel motion is very distracting. I usually start a race in close cockpit view, but when I get up front I suffer full cockpit view if someone is close behind so I know where they are. Would be really cool if a virtual rear view mirror was available on close cockpit and hood view.

Chase cam for Forza games, the Hood/Bonnet Cam moves around and it's badly placed for me to use properly.

On sims I would use interior view, but I do prefer roof cam on GT Sport.

Back