What cars "underwhelm" you, in terms of performance?

• Thread starter Turbo
  • 167 comments
The entire Maserati GranTurismo line does it for me.

*snip*

I mean, when I first heard of it being announced, I thought it was going to go head-to-head with the F430 and Gallardo. The first one in the line up to break the 300km/h (186mph) barrier was the MC Stradale. I always shake my head at the fact that it sits at least one class lower than those other two cars in games.​

That's a bit like suggesting the MX-5 is meant to compete with the Mustang and Camaro.

The GT's a much different proposition than either of those mid-engined cars. Personally, I'd much rather have it than either of those (outside of — maybe — an LP570-4 SL in Verde Ithaca). Such a classy vehicle, and the sound from that V8 is immediately identifiable. It's aged pretty spectacularly too, even if Maserati has attached increasingly naff-looking addenda to it later on in life. I'll be sad when it's replaced, because the Ghibli, Q-porte, and Levante are not lookers.

Also, those wheels are bad. Trident rims or nothing!

Indeed. The GT86 is absolutely fantastic to drive, relative lack of power or not. Even then it's not really "slow" unless your sole purpose is straight-line racing. There's enough power to get down a twisty road pretty quickly, there's enough power to play with the rear axle a bit, and if you use all the revs it certainly feels quick. In other ways, far from underwhelming: great steering, great gearbox, fantastic driving position, good pedal feel, relatively light, agile, useful size, not too thirsty.

The only real issue is the price, since something like a 370Z is similarly-priced and obviously has more performance on offer. But hey, used ones are cheaper, and it's a lot of car for the money used.

I think people are just too used to torque and have forgotten that using the revs and gearbox is an actual thing. I'm sure people consider my Swift to be slow, but in the real world, it absolutely isn't if you're committed. I imagine I'd love an 86.

VXR
I think people are just too used to torque and have forgotten that using the revs and gearbox is an actual thing. I'm sure people consider my Swift to be slow, but in the real world, it absolutely isn't if you're committed. I imagine I'd love an 86.

That "torque hole" is something else, though.

Easiest way to illustrate it is with a few dyno charts:

200-ish hp Civic Type R:
power.jpg

197 hp GT86:

dynosheetstock.jpg

The problem here isn't simply a lack of torque. It's the non-linear quality of the power delivery. The 86 has a weird hole in the power band, likely due to emissions, as with many modern, naturally aspirated cars. Doesn't feel right. It's not like a Honda waiting-for-VTEC thing, it's an actual dip in power in the part of the powerband we use every day.

And when the power hits, it just doesn't feel like 200 hp, and the engine isn't on-song for very long, once you're past the "hump". It's telling that the MX-5 feels (and is) quicker to the century mark with just 150-ish hp.

A bit of over-promising and under-delivering.

The rest of the car, sans the understeer due to the tires, is generally fine. Great handling, very predictable, easy to push and catch at the limit. It's just that I'm not so convinced it's that much of an upgrade over a Miata.

-

Also... they cost near-Z money out there? That's way too high. One of the advantages of the GT86 here is it's cheap. Granted, many of the warm/hot FWD compact options out here at around the same price are quicker, but it does have its charms.

Secondhand, hm... over an NC MX-5...

I do wish people would stop automatically assuming that when people take issue with the Breezefrees' performance that they must mean it doesn't accelerate as fast as a Mustang and that's a problem.

Last edited:
I've never driven a BRZ or the FRS/GT86, but I imagine they're more about handling than power. But are they really all the bad or has the internet made it out to be that way? My buddies got one (FRS), been meaning to try it out to find out.

Looking at the Fiesta ST as well, a not so fast car, is still loads more fun to drive than many other sports cars, if you ask me. I suppose I'm just not the type to worry about power.

Also... they cost near-Z money out there? That's way too high. One of the advantages of the GT86 here is it's cheap. Granted, many of the warm/hot FWD compact options out here at around the same price are quicker, but it does have its charms.

It's about £26k here as a base model compared to £27.5k for the 370Z. The base MX-5 is about £20k with a Ecoboost Mustang at £32k and the full fat 5.0GT at £35k. The BMW M240i is £36k and a 718 Boxster is £42k. That's just the RWDs. Most of the circa 300hp hot hatches are at the £30k mark too. It's a crowded market here for the GT86/BRZ.

I actually have more fun tossing the little Fiesta around at work over my GTO. Don't get me wrong, I can put all 120 hp to work without worry, compared to always worrying about a citation if I even think about letting the goat clear it's throat lol.

I've never driven a BRZ or the FRS/GT86, but I imagine they're more about handling than power. But are they really all the bad or has the internet made it out to be that way? My buddies got one (FRS), been meaning to try it out to find out.
They have well defined, direct handling with a great gearshift in an overall nicely designed and balanced package. Even putting around town in mild traffic or cruising on the highway you can get the sense of where everything is in relation to the driver; so they must really be amazing when you are throwing them around on purpose which I admittedly can't speak for. They're not fast by any means. If you rev it and dump it over 5500 RPM and shift past 7000, they're also not really slow either.

If you attempt acceleration under any other circumstance, there's a hole that sometimes feels like it is about 2500 RPM deep (though it's really "only" about 1500) where throttle application in any gear above first doesn't feel like it does anything but increase the engine drone. Incidentally, that torque hole seems to start almost exactly where the top gear is at highway speed, and it comes into play if you upshift (IIRC) in any gear before something like 6500 RPM. It even affects the car if you try and roll into acceleration, which feels way slower than it actually is unless you kick the clutch (not that what "it actually is" is particularly quick). And since the torque curve is mostly flat after it climbs out of the hole, the engine spends most of the time it is in the strongest part of its powerband feeling like it is waiting for a second wind to kick in that never comes. It also never feels particularly happy about being in that 5500-7000 RPM range, nor it does pull very well all the way to redline considering if you really want it to accelerate you need to push it deep. From what I've read, aftermarket can fix a lot of this easily, and fairly cheaply to boot (supposedly like, headers and an exhaust and that's it); but from what I've also read other than messing with the gearing Subaru hasn't done anything to do so from the factory.

Last edited:
The Nissan Sentra Nismo.
2017-Nissan-Sentra-NISMO-front-three-quater-01.jpg

I feel like Nissan really missed an opportunity to make the Sentra great. Alas, we still got something.

Also, shoot me, but...
Cayman%20June%2013%2052.jpg

While I can forgive it for, you know, everything, I think the 2.7 Cayman/Boxster is a wee bit underpowered for a Porsche. I'm sure as a normal, everyday driver and out on the track it's a cracking little thing but in my eyes it's the epitome of "I'm too poor to afford a 911."

@Tornado To be fair, most people criticising the GT86's lack of performance are referring mainly to its straight-line speed - and I'd suspect the vast majority have never driven it to know of the torque hole.

The torque hole is legitimately annoying when you actually drive the car, though I'd say the rest of the way the car performs is so much fun that it's not a huge issue. But there is a fairly sizeable number of people (on the internet, natch) who look at the price, look at the power output and decide that it's not fast enough for the money.

Of course, many of these people aren't in the market for either an 86 or a Mustang, so the point is moot.

Incidentally, I do find the Mustang more fun than the 86, and that's almost entirely down to its engine. Steering, braking, pedal feel, throttle response, general chuckability; nowhere near. But if someone gave me a big pot of money I'd have the Mustang, since I already have an early MX-5 that I enjoy driving even more than I do the 86.
The problem here isn't simply a lack of torque. It's the non-linear quality of the power delivery. The 86 has a weird hole in the power band, likely due to emissions, as with many modern, naturally aspirated cars. Doesn't feel right. It's not like a Honda waiting-for-VTEC thing, it's an actual dip in power in the part of the powerband we use every day.

And when the power hits, it just doesn't feel like 200 hp, and the engine isn't on-song for very long, once you're past the "hump". It's telling that the MX-5 feels (and is) quicker to the century mark with just 150-ish hp.

A bit of over-promising and under-delivering.

The rest of the car, sans the understeer due to the tires, is generally fine. Great handling, very predictable, easy to push and catch at the limit. It's just that I'm not so convinced it's that much of an upgrade over a Miata.

Secondhand, hm... over an NC MX-5...
I find it hilarious that Toyota has actually mapped the torque hole on their little TFT display in the instrument cluster. It's basically like wearing a t-shirt that advertises if you have a small penis.

On the MX-5 thing, I still fall on the side of the GT86. It's just the better sports car chassis - better body control, more steering feel, greater structural stiffness, more precise when you're on the (relatively low) limits of the tyres...

Last time I hopped in one I found the understeer disconcerting initially, just as I did the slight feeling like the back will break away at higher speeds. But the lack of grip is always in balance, so there's always some way of fixing it, and the thing feels so damn good once it's up on its tiptoes.

The Mazda is softer, less precise, has less feedback, doesn't have quite as good a driving position, wobbles over bumps, can feel a bit more wayward by virtue of its imprecision... and it does absolutely walk away from the 86 in a straight line, unless the driver in the 86 is already in the top quarter of the tach. And I'm only a few months into running an RF for 12 months, so there is that...

And yeah, the 86 is a bit too expensive here. Or the 370Z is cheap, one of the two. £26,495 for a BRZ, £26,855 for an 86, £29,185 for the 370Z. Unfortunately the Nismo 370Z, which is the one to have (I love the things) is another ten grand.

Last edited:
I think a last Gen Celica GT-S has higher performance than today's 86. However, the price point can't be that bad. A then new 240hp S2000, was south of $35k(US). The USA DC-2 Integra Type R, had just under 200hp and light weight on it's side.

Is it the choice of engine that has left some people stale? People expect the boxer to be turbocharged. Sure, it was chosen to be placed as low as possible for a low bonnet. Maybe Toyota work with Subaru to use the new smaller engines, in the works.

Over here in Hockey land, the cheapest, least equipped MX5 you can buy new is $31,6k, just about 2000$ more than a comparable 86 (but then Toyota only offers two trim levels, the base 86 at $29k and the "Special Edition" at $34k, which is pretty much just an appearance package and pretty much useless) and the most expensive MX5 RF "GT" is a $42k ordeal, also nearly 2000$ more than a brand spanking new 435hp Mustang GT (obviously with no options whatsoever, but still, that's a bit ridiculous) And that's before taxes and additional fees.

No one's going to cross-shop an MX5 and a Mustang obviously, but Mazda Canada is absolutely full of themselves for asking that much. That 2000$ difference between the base MX5 and the GT86 can buy you a really nice set of tires to overcome one of the shortcomings of the 86. And that 13k difference between a fully equipped RF and GT86 means you can buy a Nissan Micra for your daily errands and still have enough money for a set of good tires on your 86.

Low end torque wins over buyers, it's what gave the Fox 5.0 the reputation it had, the Brz has similar speed, but nobody's bragging it seems. The general public doesn't get HP/L, but they do understand getting pulled into the seat with just a jab of the pedal.

Over here in Hockey land, the cheapest, least equipped MX5 you can buy new is $31,6k, just about 2000$ more than a comparable 86 (but then Toyota only offers two trim levels, the base 86 at $29k and the "Special Edition" at $34k, which is pretty much just an appearance package and pretty much useless) and the most expensive MX5 RF "GT" is a $42k ordeal, also nearly 2000$ more than a brand spanking new 435hp Mustang GT (obviously with no options whatsoever, but still, that's a bit ridiculous) And that's before taxes and additional fees.

No one's going to cross-shop an MX5 and a Mustang obviously, but Mazda Canada is absolutely full of themselves for asking that much. That 2000$ difference between the base MX5 and the GT86 can buy you a really nice set of tires to overcome one of the shortcomings of the 86. And that 13k difference between a fully equipped RF and GT86 means you can buy a Nissan Micra for your daily errands and still have enough money for a set of good tires on your 86.
That's pretty crazy. Here a 1.5 MX-5 is around £19k, a 2-litre one £21k or so, an RF maybe £24k, and a basic 86/BRZ just over £24k, so the Mazda is comfortably the cheaper car.

Which is as it should be, really. I like the MX-5 but in no way is it worth more than an 86, even considering the performance is a little easier to access.

The 86/BRZ's engine undoubtedly feels a little weak low down, but in my experience it's an engine that does feel better with more exposure. If you hop in and hop out it does feel a bit flat, but once you get used to it, it is a good match for the car.

I mean, it would be even better with the F20 from an S2000, but you can't have everything. People complained that S2000s and Civic Type Rs lacked torque too, but I've never found them too bad - they're still 2-litre engines in fairly light cars.

It all depends on your expectations really - I drive turbocharged cars almost every day at work. Are they quick? Yes. Do they give you a kick in the kidneys? Yes. Would an MX-5 or 86 disappoint, performance-wise, after the average modern hot hatchback? Very probably. Do I enjoy those turbocharged cars more than a high-revving naturally-aspirated engine that gets more exciting the longer you hold down the right pedal? Hell no.

Current Toyota Corolla S

About twelve years ago, the "sporty" USDM Corolla made 180 horsepower and could be purchased with AWD. 7 years ago, the sporty Corolla had 160 horsepower, but still retained AWD. The current "sports" model only makes 132 horsepower, and I'm not even sure if AWD is still offered. I thought cars were supposed to get more powerful, not less.​

I've posted about this car before, but I figured that it fitted this thread aswell. When I first learned of this rebadged, I figure that it would be like the Opel Corsa GSI. Instead, it's just a normal Corsa with a body kit. To note, I know why it was sold that way, but that doesn't stop it from being underwhelming.
chevrolet-corsa-ss-03.jpg

EDIT: I'm going to add the Astra SS in there while I'm at it. It's a similar case to the Corsa. *facepalm*
chevrolet_astra_2005_images_1_b.jpg

That's pretty crazy. Here a 1.5 MX-5 is around £19k, a 2-litre one £21k or so, an RF maybe £24k, and a basic 86/BRZ just over £24k, so the Mazda is comfortably the cheaper car.

Which is as it should be, really. I like the MX-5 but in no way is it worth more than an 86, even considering the performance is a little easier to access.

The 86/BRZ's engine undoubtedly feels a little weak low down, but in my experience it's an engine that does feel better with more exposure. If you hop in and hop out it does feel a bit flat, but once you get used to it, it is a good match for the car.

I mean, it would be even better with the F20 from an S2000, but you can't have everything. People complained that S2000s and Civic Type Rs lacked torque too, but I've never found them too bad - they're still 2-litre engines in fairly light cars.

It all depends on your expectations really - I drive turbocharged cars almost every day at work. Are they quick? Yes. Do they give you a kick in the kidneys? Yes. Would an MX-5 or 86 disappoint, performance-wise, after the average modern hot hatchback? Very probably. Do I enjoy those turbocharged cars more than a high-revving naturally-aspirated engine that gets more exciting the longer you hold down the right pedal? Hell no.

Around here a 1.5 MX-5 is ~$32k, the 2.0 is ~$35k and the RF is ~$39k, the base model 86 is only ~$31k. I kind of disagree, I think the MX-5 is worth more, it seems to be geared a lot better, and from what I've seen is actually faster than the 86 (based on MotorTrend's video). While I haven't driven an 86 myself, I know from roll racing (on a racing track) against them that they do indeed seem pretty slow, my ~290rwhp Ute smokes them. That said, on a very twisty mountain road it didn't have an issue keeping up with my giant land yacht, a 370Z and an STi. The S2000s would IMO be a far superior car to own, most of them keep up with me even in a straight line (I have video evidence if desired lol), they rev their 🤬 off, and not every boy racer fresh out of high school is driving one around.

I've posted about this car before, but I figured that it fitted this thread aswell. When I first learned of this rebadged, I figure that it would be like the Opel Corsa GSI. Instead, it's just a normal Corsa with a body kit. To note, I know why it was sold that way, but that doesn't stop it from being underwhelming.
chevrolet-corsa-ss-03.jpg

EDIT: I'm going to add the Astra SS in there while I'm at it. It's a similar case to the Corsa. *facepalm*
chevrolet_astra_2005_images_1_b.jpg

I'm not sure that any German car should a 'SS' badge on it.

Mazda6/Atenza

I hate to have to put the 6 in this thread. Best looking car in it's class, definitely. But only 227hp in it's top spec? But, now that you can get a Camry with 300hp, and a Fusion with 325, those figures seem pretty underwhelming.​

Holden ''Commodore'' VXR
2018-Holden-Commodore-VXR-first-drive-review (1).jpg

Looks Great especially from this angle, and is much better car then the last real commodore inside especially, but they replaced where the SS is in the range with an engine from the SV6 and this car is significantly slower and less powerful then the last Commodore, by nearly 100hp.

Instead of being a Sports Sedan it's more of a Camry V6 Rival, that costs alot more.

Holden ''Commodore'' VXR
View attachment 727994
Looks Great especially from this angle, and is much better car then the last real commodore inside especially, but they replaced where the SS is in the range with an engine from the SV6 and this car is significantly slower and less powerful then the last Commodore, by nearly 100hp.

Instead of being a Sports Sedan it's more of a Camry V6 Rival, that costs alot more.
I think the vehicle you have in picture (Insignia OPC/VXR in EU and Buick Regal GS in the States) is a perfectly fine car. It's problem is, it doesn't live up to the Commodore name. The Commie was a full size, RWD sedan while the Insignia/GS is FWD and in the midsize segment.

The Commodore/Insignia/Regal is also slightly more upscale than the Camry/Accord/Altima trio, and I am pretty sure it's going after the likes of the Acura TLX A-Spec, and others in that segment.

It would make the most sense if they just called it the Holden Insignia.

I think the vehicle you have in picture (Insignia OPC/VXR in EU and Buick Regal GS in the States) is a perfectly fine car. It's problem is, it doesn't live up to the Commodore name. The Commie was a full size, RWD sedan while the Insignia/GS is FWD and in the midsize segment.

The Commodore/Insignia/Regal is also slightly more upscale than the Camry/Accord/Altima trio, and I am pretty sure it's going after the likes of the Acura TLX A-Spec, and others in that segment.

It would make the most sense if they just called it the Holden Insignia.
Interior is a step up and so is the brakes/tyre combination but this car costs the same as a Stinger V6, imo it needed a detuned version of the ATS-V engine, maybe the HSV versions if they come will have it.

The VXR version for us has a 3.6L N/A V6 which is a poor choice it needed a turbo 6.

Hyundai Sonata Sport
454312.jpg

Although the Sonata Sport is one of the best looking cars in the non-luxury mid size segment, it's actual performance is certainly underwhelming compared to it's looks. I recently found out it uses a 2.4L inline-four making 185hp with no turbo engine option, yet the more plain looking SEL model can be equipped with a 2.0L inline-four making 245hp. This is not available on the "sport".

1976 Cadillacs with the 500 cubic inch engine.
ch1016-272814_1@2x.jpg

When Cadillac first introduced their 500 in 1968, it made 375HP. Then 400HP in 1970. But by its last year in 1976 it made a wheezing 190 HP!
Shame what the gas crisis did to American cars.

Back