What cars would you electrify?

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 38 comments
From a "cars that ought to be or to have been offered with an electric variant, or even only as an electric" perspective...none.

From a "convert my existing car to electric" perspective...none.

I have absolutely nothing against electrics, apart from those "we were going to create an app but instead chose to build an electric supercar to set new Nurburgring records and sell to people with more money than sense" sorts, but cars were what they were, are what they are, and will be what they will be.

The Dodge Viper would have been interesting to see electrified. Maybe would have brought it some much-needed media coverage.

IMG_2385.JPG

Before you say it's ridiculous to electrify this sort of car, the SLS would like to have a word with you.

One day in the future, maybe the Viper will finally come out of retirement, get with the times, and come with an electric power train that will make it the quickest and most quiet Viper ever produced.

Lister Storm

Ford Thunderbird (any variant, including the revival from the 00s)

Jaguar E-Type

Noticing a potential pattern, here?

I think 50s-70s big American or German luxury sedans/coupes are the best candidates:

1. They have a lot of room for batteries
  2. They were never sporting and so you need not be concerned about upsetting the chassis balance
  3. Electric motor torque is a good analog for large displacement V8s they came with...
  4. ...those V8's were sufficient for moving the cars, but not full of character - versus something like an E Type or a Muscle car which was at least somewhat defined by its engine's character, something like an Eldorado was defined by it's style and presence, the engine was more or less there to make it move. You aren't changing it's identity by going electric.

The Dodge Viper would have been interesting to see electrified. Maybe would have brought it some much-needed media coverage.

View attachment 677109

Before you say it's ridiculous to electrify this sort of car, the SLS would like to have a word with you.

One day in the future, maybe the Viper will finally come out of retirement, get with the times, and come with an electric power train that will make it the quickest and most quiet Viper ever produced.
The electric SLS is all the more reason I wouldn't want an electric Viper. Batteries are just too heavy right now. If there was to be a "modernized" Viper I'd like to see it lean toward exotic lightweight materials and assembly techniques. It would fit better with the spirit of the vehicle.

As for cars that I'd want to see electrified, pretty much any kind of workhorse. The average sedan, SUV's, crossovers, delivery vehicles, etc. They're more common, they're driven more often, and the more people that own them should help drive the construction of new infrastructure to support EV's.

I think a Rolls Silver Shadow would make an ideal candidate for electric conversion.

It was designed for wafting around in in almost silence with 'adequate' power reserves, so electrifying one just takes that a step further.

View attachment 664666
This is like... the closest thing in this thread to something that I'd actually do. I think some periods of rolls (or maybe Bentley) are actually fairly cheap, in part because of the amount of work required to keep the old mechanicals running. It's one of the few cars where I see almost no drawback to the conversion, and it would create something interesting, and potentially longer-lived.

Maybe a Mercedes S.

Ideally I'd electrify a Holden RB Gemini, 80s, fwd, hatch, and would be fun....

1986_Holden_Gemini_%28RB%29_SLX_sedan_%282011-04-22%29_01.jpg

Or a a early 80s UC Torana Liftback, to the rear wheels and about maybe 140kw... so it would be good for cruising...
ad-assets%2F77777--210310%2Ffield_images%2F77777_210310_1.JPG

Back