What do we think of the 1 minute penalty?

• Thread starter Mercia
  • 131 comments

What would be your preferred puishment?

• Happy with 1 minute

Votes: 30 45.5%
  • Should be 2 minutes or longer

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Should be disqualification

Votes: 30 45.5%
  • Don't care as I always finish 1st

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Other w/ explanation

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
Is it common to use a VPN connection to run an alt? Why would anyone do that when you can run it straight up? When I run in NA (I do about once or twice a week) I have 3 or four yellow bars.
It's very rare that I see someone lagging, even if it's both SA and NA and likely about 3-4 EMEA players with a NA alt judging by the bars.

But I guess I won't see any problems if I am the one lagging. Never had anyone complain about it though.

Usually when I race in NA it's at turnover for races. Often there's 13 players or less, spread from A+ to C.
I was p7 in a race with @Mistah_MCA Grove, OGMoverman and PRST_Joker today among others and I didn't see any lag.

If anyone else did I would like to hear it.
My bad calling it an alt, I didn't mean an alt account in GT Sport. An alt US PSN account to get access to the US PSN store and pricing. Content differences and getting around taxes mainly.

You never see cars suddenly turn in, defying physics? Same in a braking zone, jump back a few meters when starting to brake, then jump forward a few meters when accelerating out of the corner. I'm not talking about the obvious jumping around lag. The things that make close racing a hazard.

Race C, messy, but it's early goings. I got punted and rammed a bunch of times. It was too chaotic to notice what was lag and what was just clumsiness. It does seem SR is a bit less plentiful this week. First race someone dropped to SR.B, second race a couple red S and a red A. However, everyone that entered this morning adhered to the tire regulations (At least the ones that didn't time out. It doesn't show when you time out as I did first race where I should have had the penalty. Used IM and RM, not RS in that first race)

Last edited:
Secondly, and that's more important for your argument: 80 percent of the people who played GTS didn't do more than two sport mode races.
Where you getting your figures from? Kudos is not making sense of it says 84% have never played a game so if it counts them it's figures are wrong.
Anyway in Kudos 3K is top 34% which would agree sort of with the 2.4 mill players of which 700K played in the last week. It also suggests that slightly over half of active players are C and D, which are likely to be noobs and casuals exactly the players who need it simple and PD should want to attract and not discourage.

You never see cars suddenly turn in, defying physics? Same in a braking zone, jump back a few meters when starting to brake, then jump forward a few meters when accelerating out of the corner. I'm not talking about the obvious jumping around lag. The things that make close racing a hazard.
Maybe once a month or so

. . . We need the casuals to make the game better for us, . . .
Oh my, we have an alien in our presence. Speaking as a "casual" I agree with your statement, us "casuals" are needed to make the game better for you.

I need to know from you knowing I am not a gamer using GTS software with a PS 4 Pro in my driving simulator . Do you think I should not participate in this gtplanet forum. Let’s make this easy yes or no?
I think you should participate in GTP and welcome your posts . . . but . . . I say this with respect and in the only way I know how - your posts appear you are just not grasping what you are reading in the posts OR you are deliberately trying to instigate a strong negative response from others. What are your thoughts on what I stated in this post?

I'm arguing that the "gameplay" of going and looking in a menu for the race regulations doesn't improve the experience for most Gran Turismo players. It's a thing that exists, and it's either trivial busywork or a frustration if you happen to not know or accidentally forget. Neither of those things are positive, so why not place the information somewhere obvious so that players can get on with the actual fun parts of the game? The rules are necessary for diverse and engaging gameplay, but there's no reason why they can't be clearly and unambiguously communicated to the player in a way that can't be missed before every race.

Not to be terribly impolite, but I feel like people who are OK with others struggling with this "administrative" side of racing are those who aren't actually that keen on fair competition. The only downside to giving this information to everyone is that you don't get free places when you're racing people who are more ignorant than you. I'm fine with that, because I'd rather race people straight up. To me, that's where the meat of the game is. If you want a game where players have to pass the menu check before they get to race then that's your choice, but I'm not going to agree that it's better for a casual friendly game like Gran Turismo.
You're not looking in a menu, you're looking in a screen which tells you the details for that race. It contains the relevant information you need for that race. You only have to look at it once all week. Hardly strenuous.

Of course I'm keen on fair competition. I'm not there to win at all costs otherwise I'd just be barging my way through a race with merry abandon instead of what I hope is fair and clean racing on my part. If people don't recognise the rules for that particular race and breech the rules then they should be punished. Even whilst on the track they can't think people are pitting for the fun of it. So that is also a sign there is more to this race than go fast for n laps.
So you click "race details" and you see "race rules" and nothing there, next is "regulations" still nothing, "basic race info" OK getting to the boring stuff shouldn't be here and it isn't ........."race settings" no, "penalty" no and then finally right at the bottom (not at all hidden) is the "pit info"
Oh look you found it in the place you knew it would be.

The game not giving a reason for the penalty is the only problem with all of this and even that is making a mountain out of a molehill. Way down the list of the game's faults.

Good luck with it.

I read the race details from day one of playing this video game. I know I'm in the minority, but I always check the rules of combat before entering said combat.

Sure, it could be more obvious, but it isn't exactly hidden, either.

Maybe once a month or so
I just did another race and yep lag. I got lag punted couple times, lag punted a couple Argentinians as well. We all start braking at the same time, yet the 9,000 km difference is too much for GR.2. I see no contact on my screen, but see the car in front of me suddenly accelerating into the wall. The ones that 'punted' me look like they are braking normally as well, no odd extra slow down as if hitting another car. Action not equals re-action in GT Sport.

I dropped to SR.A in that race, too much lag to race close. Need to keep a good 50ft safety margin in these car.

Another reason for DQ instead of a 1 minute penalty is the long wait at the end of the race. The 1 minute penalty keeps resetting the timer. I just had a race in SR.A, finished 3rd 9 sec behind 1st, then had to wait 2.5 minutes to get to the lobby. The last one to finish was +2:34 due to people in between finishing with 1 min penalties resetting the countdown. (And if you get disconnected during that wait you are counted as finishing last...)

Back to SR.S yet all my races today had several lag incidents with South Americans. Twitchy GR.2 cars plus 9,000 km distance, bad mix. And that's an average. A direct flight from Toronto to Buenos Aires is close to 15 hours, 11,400 km.

Last edited:
I'm fine with 1-min penalty. My gripe is that it's in no way obvious for an unaware driver. I had no idea where the 1-min penalty was coming from myself until I eventually saw some mention of it in a thread here. Then I still sometimes got the penalty for putting on the wrong tires even though I thought I had changed them.

So 1-min is fine, but make it much more obvious because there's literally no obvious indicator otherwise.

I think you should participate in GTP and welcome your posts . . . but . . . I say this with respect and in the only way I know how - your posts appear you are just not grasping what you are reading in the posts OR you are deliberately trying to instigate a strong negative response from others. What are your thoughts on what I stated in this post?
I want to thank you for asking for my thoughts on this post but I am not able to communicate with the written word with clarity because of my spelling And grammar, it must be obvious. Unfortunately it has become a problem about breaking rules then about a bad penalty rule.
I am looking forward for GT7 to see where the future of online sim racing will go with PD And Sony.

I'm fine with 1-min penalty. My gripe is that it's in no way obvious for an unaware driver. I had no idea where the 1-min penalty was coming from myself until I eventually saw some mention of it in a thread here. Then I still sometimes got the penalty for putting on the wrong tires even though I thought I had changed them.

So 1-min is fine, but make it much more obvious because there's literally no obvious indicator otherwise.
I like that it isn't obvious...I view it the same way I view the tire selector when pitting, the flashing tires are the ones you're presently using, they're not flashing saying "here, select these tires to avoid penalty" (which I have done on 3 ocassions).

Last edited:
Surely not pitting in a mandatory pit stop race or not changing tires when 2 sets are mandatory should be nothing less than a DSQ?

1 minute is less than half a lap of the current C race, I don't see how this isn't way too lenient?

What are people's thoughts on it?
Excuse my french but ffs you've just answered my Qs on y I got a 1 min pen, that'll learn me for not reading the info right and laughing at the fools who pitted thinking they could catch me with 1 lap left🤣🤣🤣🤣.... Thanks

Back