What do you think Kaz means by "human drama"?

• Thread starter paskowitz
  • 136 comments
I transcribed and translated below what he said (there's a word I don't understand toward the end, but the overall meaning is clear).
Despite the official translation, I don't think Yamauchi meant the actual English meaning of "Drama". What he is referring is the Japanese term for fiction TV show ("Dorama"), but again he doesn't mean it literally.
So, as I explained yesterday, he wants to recreate the actual racing experience as a race pilot, not just the driving and other general management aspects as previous games in the series did so far.

Interesting. You seem to know the language, but I guess it's hard to really metaphorize in English the concepts that the Japanese have evolved in their culture; obviously this fictional TV drama or 'Dorama' (Sitcom? Interactive Racing Soap Opera?) seems connected by similarity to GT Academy since he likened what was going to come as being somewhat like the 'drama' (or human-based competetion - how is he going to control that?) in the online rush to become a 'real' racing driver.
Will GT6 have a career mode that is actually an Academy that'll get you a racing scholarship in Nissan?

And if you got the impression he meant some kind of 'teamwork'. could you please expand on your impressions? Thanks. ;)

Honestly I won't buy gt6 until after a few good reviews show up but I see gt5 as something PD can learn to prevent "idiodicy" and try to actually improve the game over such a long time, not just copy paste and dust off the previous game but in my opinion gt5 was a good game, it was originally designed to compete with forza 3 and gr5 is a better overall game than forza3

You have now officially joined to club of complainers. Stand tall and proud! PD is just an office full of dummies and you're the bright minded one.

Will GT6 have a career mode that is actually an Academy that'll get you a racing scholarship in Nissan?
This is precisely what I'm noodling about in a massive post I'm preparing. It's based on the concept for GT5 I created way back in the two months following GT4's release, after we'd played the heck out of it daily.

occasionalracer
You have now officially joined to club of complainers. Stand tall and proud! PD is just an office full of dummies and you're the bright minded one.

I don't see any complaining in his post tbh. Just common sense.

How about the human drama of a guy playing a Seasonal Event that's so aggravating and difficult that he throws himself around his house in a rage before snapping his GT5 disc and setting the PS3 on fire in his front yard?

....Just saying, it could happen.

Kaz is the King of Drama Queens.

Is there any confirmation at all about a final DLC and a 'closing off' for GT5 at all - or will they bring out GT6 while GT5 is still in the process of being patched?
Doesn't make any sense.
This eventually is all about Marketing. Which of course not only affects Production, but also the quality of it.
If GT6 is too close to GT5 - then it's not really a new game we're getting right?
Maybe it was the leap in many areas that we experienced from GT4 to GT5 that makes us expect a similar leap in innovation from GT5 to GT6.
This is probably going to be the major difference - the Online experience. A.K.A. the Human Drama.

Kaz has achieved enough human drama with GT5... there are tons, tons more important stuff to concentrate on for GT6. If he means let's say the guy in the car honking his horn every time after spinning out for example, my argument still stands.

To me "human drama" in a racing game means "stress". No more no less.

I play other simulators on PC as rFactor/2, GSC 2012, LFS, GTR2, Race07/GTR Evolution...etc.

I´m going to put an example of Race07 and GTR2 which you can play online or against AI (which is the best in the market, hands down).

It has everything: accurate and realistic rules/regulations/flags, realistic damage which can make you loose a race or just loose positions as in real life depending if you only have a flat tyre or problems with suspensions (you can feel it on your wheel of course, even if it is not that bad and you can keep your rhythm in the race but FEELING uncomfortable because of your wheel responding not so good while you turn)...

Well add that you have realistic flag regulations and a person that tells you what is happening (the chief of your team as in F1 for example) when you brake something after touching a wall, other car, or if other car crashes in other sector of the track and a yellow flag appears or if there is a car with problems...etc. ("a la" F1 2012 but better)
Even when your tyres are with the proper temperature that guy says that to you and yo know that you can push a little bit more.

The thing is that little thing ("the spotter") changes everything while you are driving because it puts things in your mind that in GT5 feels missed. Yeah you have the indicators for tyres but you just put your eyes or know that you need a lap or 2 to put tyres with the right temps...but if you have a guy that actually tells you, it just feels totally different and gives you even more immersion...and instead of looking what you don´t need to, you just wait for him to tell you...and you do it. (in GTR2 the guy actually tells you "keep pushing, keep pushing" and during a race with AI at your level with same class cars it feels incredible and gives you more tension...add realistic engine sounds to the package)

Other detail is when a car is doing a hot-lap when you are in practice or qualifying (other missing feature in GT5...that adds stress when you can´t find a setup or something to make the pole against others before the time goes by...and by doing it you know who´s faster and who´s not) for example...i was doing a lap to put some temps on my tyres...slowly and suddenly an AI car came on its fast lap and first, the spotter said to me that move away because one car came from behind, then a blue flag appear in front of me, i saw my mirrors and saw "him" going like crazy and i moved to the dirty side of the track to let him pass...and "he" even gave me a sign with its lights...

I mean at that moment i felt that i was in a real environment and in a real race. It was just incredible. (i was racing with DTM 2010 cars, full grid 24 cars in race)

But again in GT5 that little details are missing...we have the graphics...that realism, a pretty decent but not perfect FFB, but while you are in a race (even online) you don´t feel that immersion that you need to feel in a race. It just feels "inert" at some point.

You can have great races online but still you don´t have the real feeling of a race. When you crash, you crash and the race is over, end. You can loose a tyre and keep going or not to boxes and fix it...or not!! You need to fix or change the aerodynamics settings during the race because something feels wrong after a while...etc. That is missing.

At the end of the day we are playing a simulator with regulations from arcade racing games all the time and that to me is wrong and feels wrong.

I mean i enjoy more my replays than the races itself...That sounds weird even for me!! lol

But it is true...i fell asleep playing GT5 lately but mostly because of the engine sounds and the lack of racing atmosphere during a race. Doesn´t matter if it is online or against AI...we need to have proper regulations, proper damage system (yes, you can deactivate if you are not a hardcore racing simulator guy) and a proper "spotter" to give you the feel that you are not alone and you are driving/racing not just for you...and that is when the pressure comes to...TEAMS. ("a la" Race Driver Grid could be, why not...)

Last bit and sorry for long post...a real simulator is that one that gives you the real feeling of an entire race, it´s a challenge, immersion (sounds, regulations, pressure to do it right because you need it, not just to buy a car and earn some more credits)...a real simulator is also when you keep practising to get better and gain those little fractions of seconds during a whole week to race in the upcoming weekend, and then when the race starts one guy at the first corner pushes you into the wall and your race and whole week of preparation is over...

That´s a simulator...not just play, earn credits and cars...you can do that on any racing game...but racing...racing is more than that...

Unfortunately, the only interpretation that makes sense to me, is that he wants GT to evolve much further into an online racing game, and particularly with GT Academy in mind, probably expanding it. But who knows, there still has to be a solid realistic platform to build upon to do this, so I think while there will be time sapped away from other potential, we can hope it won't have too much of a negative impact on the final game that we'll all play.

Back