What drivers have the best race craft

  • Thread starter Thread starter rabbitude
  • 52 comments
  • 6,013 views
Any good youtube videos out there that show these techniques being practiced during a real race? It makes sense when you read it but I just can't see a way to physically do it on the track. Anyone want to meet me on the HSR tonight and help me tune my craft? ;)
 
Well, not on HSR (its Suzuka), but this is a good show of a couple of moves mentioned, and although Irvine was unlapping himself which was a bit naughty, its still a nice display of racing.
 
For the most part race craft cant be taught, race craft is the ability to make decisions on the track that will help advance your position. now those decisions or judgement is based on experiences both + and - that you have had. When I race the guys I already mentioned they have a good idea what the outcome of the situation way before it happens. A lesser experienced driver does not know that they have made an error until its to late, guys like vanos and dramakyd understand the point of no return. plenty of times I see them have run up the inside, go almost all the way and when they realize it dont look good they back off and slot in behind.

But if you want to see a great example of race craft, go watch a spec mazda miata race...👍
 
I think something that is essential that few posess is the ability to remain cool under pressure, god knows thats the biggest failing with my driving. Silly mistakes on the last lap when someone is right on my case. Its not so much something that can be learnt, but more something that comes from confidence. Likewise pressuring the guy in front into making a mistake is a very valuable skill.
 
truth123
zabeu
kain90
mr.geez
RudiRaiser
GTP_sphinx
KOR_Joker

Specifically Truth, mr.geez and Rudi I trust the most as I've raced them the most out of anyone I know in my friends list.

Those are all guys I have raced extensively and love to see on any grid that I race on. I know the racing will be good and I trust them all, as I hope they do me, and know I can run close and clean with them.

The GTP tag (or GTRP, GTNDC, KOR, etc) doesn't mean a driver I can trust automatically in my book as I've run into many tagged racers who are anything but clean or fair. However if I see a tag, especially from a racer I don't know, I will give them the benefit of the doubt until they show me a reason not too. With none tagged racers I automatically assume they are punters until they show me otherwise.
 
Last edited:
truth123
zabeu
kain90
mr.geez
RudiRaiser
GTP_sphinx
KOR_Joker

Does it mean anything that half of these are on my PSN friends list? lol. I know all of these are fast, clean racers but I didnt realise that some of them were so well regarded. Makes me feel honoured that they added me, lol.
 
I've had some white-knuckle battles with GTP_Luxy and GTNDC Honeycar, among many, many others. Those two come immediately to mind. I haven't raced online in more than a month, but I remember good battles with many of those already mentioned here.

I'm not particularly good at passing. For anyone trying to improve their "race craft", I have a suggestion-don't focus on the rear bumper of the car in front of you, keep your mind ahead, as if you were alone on the track. I don't, and end up playing monkey see-monkey do when I'm behind, and invariably find myself behind the same person the whole race or off in the sand when the leader makes a mistake. It's a hard habit to break.
 
Does it mean anything that half of these are on my PSN friends list? lol. I know all of these are fast, clean racers but I didnt realise that some of them were so well regarded. Makes me feel honoured that they added me, lol.

I think it means that the best rise to the top. As has been mentioned previously in this thread...all of those guys are "fast" but that doesn't mean the same thing it did back in the day when OLR was only hotlapping (generally). All of those guys, in my book, have amazing "race craft" as much as we can discuss it in GT5p.

There are racers I have met that I had known or known of in OLR since GT3. They were always at the top of the leaderboards...but when I met them on the track, in a actual race, they might of had the speed but little more than that. As I said...being "fast" doesn't mean what it once did on OLR. There are also some racers you see ontop of many of the online leader boards in GT5p posting amazing time that are clean (there are many dirty hotlappers on the boards too) but when you race them they don't seem as deadly. I've noticed this with alot of the Japanese drivers that are on the top of the leaderboards.

For example;
-Truth123 is fast, we all know that and have read that here...but the thing that makes him so deadly as a racer is his consistency. Even if he is behind you he knows how to cleanly and fairly pressure you to the point where you make a mistake to open the door which he will always come in and take.
-kain90 is also fast but more on the aggressive side. He will force his way around time to time and by doing that creates opening for himself but it's not driving I'd consider dirty by any means, jsut aggressive. You need to be on your toes around him.
-Rudi, is fast and is well known from OLR...but he always seems to be on the fast line on the track and no matter where he starts he will be on your rear bumper quickly, especially in that Evo X of his.
-Mr.geez, is just solid and consistent..always there and never count him out...he'll sit behind you an entire race and when you think you've got it won he'll pass you on the line. Really some great racing.
-GTRP_Hugo, I've never seen someone who can pass like he can. it amazes me sometimes. Even when you protect your line he can find a new one and be past you quickly.

I could go on and on...but every driver is different and they all prefer different cars, and driving styles. Some will pressure you into a mistake, some will bait you into one, some will simply pass you without you even knowing how they can go so fast.

the 3 lap races we have had online are sprint races. Race craft plays a slight role but outright speed plays a bigger one. When we get longer races, with tire wear, damage, pit stops, etc etc...then we will see true race craft and how good drivers manage all those variables. I have no doubt alot of the names that will pop up in this thread will still be the top guys out there, but what we have seen thus far is but a fraction of what we eventually will
 
Last edited:
Well I agree with what you say, but I wasn't implying that they are only fast and clean or that this is why they are mentioned in this thread.
 
Well I agree with what you say, but I wasn't implying that they are only fast and clean or that this is why they are mentioned in this thread.


Oh, I know...I was just adding my two cents. Name dropping without any context is just...umm, errrr, namedropping. haha.
 
first and foremost my big Thank You to all the people that have put me in this thread, it's a great honour to be here.

all the PSN ID's I have on my friends list are good and clean drivers (you know who you are!), but I have some honorable mentions:
Bennant, Hun, MadForce, zabeu, Sarlech, truth123, tameturtle, RudiRaser and many more that I just don't remember at the moment,
are the the names when I see on the grid, I know not only I'll have great racing experience but almost always I will be able to learn some new
nuances about competitive racing (say it will be new racing line, braking point etc.). It's great racing with you guys! Thanks and see you on the racetrack!
 
Further to my earlier post:-

I have to add Timppaq and Prudentbear to my list of drivers with great racecraft. I'd not raced with Timppaq until yesterday, but it became abundantly clear in a matter of minutes that he is just so aware of what is going on on the track that its like some kind of ESP, he has a gift for knowing when the time is right to make an overtaking move and where to do it and you can drive lap after lap with the guy without ANY fear that he'll touch you, its so confidence inspiring and allows you to focus on your own driving rather than having to worry about what other folks are up to, increases the fun factor x1000000. Add to that the ability to take a car that is fundamentally not as fast and/or easy to handle and drive it like it has R5 tyres on it and nitrous and I think you get the picture, but I'm sure many of you will have witnessed that for yourself already.

Then there is prudentbear, my nemesis :lol: he has a unique ability to keep his head in the first few moments of the race while everyone else including myself is flailing wildly and this lets him pull out impressive leads even in cars you wouldn't normally think capable of such a feat, the guy is supremely clean and has A-Class track awareness and if you don't have his slipstream by the time you get to denger... well, he'll be long gone. Every race with Pru is an absolute joy make no mistake about it.👍
 
Further to my earlier post:-

I have to add Timppaq and Prudentbear to my list of drivers with great racecraft. I'd not raced with Timppaq until yesterday, but it became abundantly clear in a matter of minutes that he is just so aware of what is going on on the track that its like some kind of ESP, he has a gift for knowing when the time is right to make an overtaking move and where to do it and you can drive lap after lap with the guy without ANY fear that he'll touch you, its so confidence inspiring and allows you to focus on your own driving rather than having to worry about what other folks are up to, increases the fun factor x1000000. Add to that the ability to take a car that is fundamentally not as fast and/or easy to handle and drive it like it has R5 tyres on it and nitrous and I think you get the picture, but I'm sure many of you will have witnessed that for yourself already.

Then there is prudentbear, my nemesis :lol: he has a unique ability to keep his head in the first few moments of the race while everyone else including myself is flailing wildly and this lets him pull out impressive leads even in cars you wouldn't normally think capable of such a feat, the guy is supremely clean and has A-Class track awareness and if you don't have his slipstream by the time you get to denger... well, he'll be long gone. Every race with Pru is an absolute joy make no mistake about it.👍

:cheers:

It takes 2 to tango. 👍 ..same to you, mate!
 
My List of Trusted Drivers:

Drama-Kyd
Cudadude
L_Hamilton
Slicecom
Vaxen
Ravenmaven
Earth
Sphinx
Timpaqq
Ardius
Doctorben
DTWmetro
Mr_Geez
Sarlech
LinPark
I apologize to those of you that I have had great races with that are not on this list..I simply cannot remember
 
Last edited:
I've had some great races with a lot of the guys here, Sarlach, Timppaq and Zabeu perhaps being the three guys who have the best racecraft I've seen simply because I've had both of them overtake me rather consistently and always in a place where I am weakest.

It doesn't take much for an overtake when you race against someone once or twice, but as the familiarity with drivers grows, so too does the confidence levels of all driver's involved. Being overtaken by three guys at your 'weak spot' means you have a chink in your armour and although I tried to cover up that chink by taking a different line, those two would quickly exploit another unseen weakness. It's a mark of skill for someone to be able to respond to your countermoves and these two gentlemen do it superlatively.

I have yet to get intimate with Rudi, but I am certain that he will prove to be another wily customer who knows a clean cut.

;)

I have not been online much since the August 1st update, but I am looking forwards to some more Suzuka battles with some of you guys in the coming weeks. A longer 5 lap race means we'll all get to hone our racecraft a little bit more!
 
Maffski... I just have to add, that we have raced before. :) ....I've raced approximately thousands of races @ Suzuka, and it takes something to make me remember the first encounter (I have really bad memory). Maybe it was because you were ahead of me that you don't recall it :lol: but I do. 👍 Hope to see you tonight!! :cheers:

And I agree with all of these lists.. I won't write those names again. Thanks for the GREAT RACES, mates! Here's for more..

:cheers:
 
I'll have to add DarthDrift to that list as I just watched him repel 5 laps of enormous pressure! The guy is as cool as a cucumber! Knew exactly where to defend and where to pull away. Stunning stuff!

👍
 
not counting the last turn "incident" this is what I mean by race craft, there was alot on the line here so it got a little rough but none the less some great racing.👍

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCij9mYIokA

That BMW guy doesn't show much racecraft.
If it was GT he would be called a punter or hack, ramming 2 cars off the track.
 
Ive ran with CWR, and Timppaq before id have to agree very good guys Anglex is another good racer 👍

Hmmmm i didn't get mentioned, aww i guess i better go work on my stuff a little harder! mabye if id stop driving the blitz lol.......
 
That BMW guy doesn't show much racecraft.
If it was GT he would be called a punter or hack, ramming 2 cars off the track.

I agree thats why I said not counting that part
 
I'll have to add DarthDrift to that list as I just watched him repel 5 laps of enormous pressure! The guy is as cool as a cucumber! Knew exactly where to defend and where to pull away. Stunning stuff!

👍

Thanks mate. My problem is I'm too slow. I would rather be APPLYING the pressure versus REPELLING. :scared:

I've raced a few times against most of the guys listed in this thread and they're all FAST. I think it's easier to have racecraft when you are fast and you can stay close to the guy in front and choose and modify your lines (I guess that's the whole point of this thread). I'm really struggling to keep up on pure pace and as a result my racecraft and consistency suffer and I bump people too often. I think the key to all this is practice, practice, practice, and I need more of it!!! (and watching Rudi's youtube videos as well - thanks! 👍)

See you guys out there.
 
Back