What exactly is different in Racing vs Qualifying in Sport Mode (aka "online" vs "offline" physics)

• Thread starter nuu1212
  • 38 comments
Proof that your right then, Your complaining of input lag in an online match, you saying your controls are not the same, therefore you must have some latency, Just accept it, you are not going to race like your in single player online, Its not rocket science.

Input lag is whole different thing and has nothing to do with our topic. Play Need for Speed Shift 2 and see yourself what input lag is.

You cant have latency in a client based thing.

And also sorry i dont believe conspiracy theories.

Do you know that even the processing of the additional objects on your screen also adds latency on your CPU, think out the box, "lag" isn't just down your phone line, it's in everything it's like atoms moving through the universe.

How can joe blogs lap time get onto my screen, if my only connection was client side, Some form of information from the server has to be sent to my ps4, and some information has to be sent from my ps4 to the server. Its physically impossible for you to run gtsport from your client only, as soon as your network adaptor connect to the server, it will be using some bandwidth, totally explains the really slight input differences online and offline, and it is so minuscule I don't know why your worrying about it, and also its the same for everyone so get over it.

Last edited:
The physics of your own car are still calculated client side only. Also, there's no difference in physics when running time trial or an arcade race with 19 AI - and that should put much more strain on the CPU than just retrieving positions from a server.

Tested this physics difference today, and I have a theory for that, but first a little lap comparison.

Race C / Fuji qualification: 1:30.511

Offline time trial, same car BOP on same time of day: 1:30.819

Then to that theory, why I felt that the difference was huge. When driving in offline content races, AI is super slow. You dont need to push the car and your self to the limit to win. Now on online, you compete against real people with similar skils, so difference in pace needed is big.

For the races, I sometimes notice that the screen moves slower, when there is 2-4 cars same time, etc issues.
Weight of the car(fuel level), tyre wear and debries in the track all plays along and affects to the car in the race.

Do you know that even the processing of the additional objects on your screen also adds latency on your CPU, think out the box, "lag" isn't just down your phone line, it's in everything it's like atoms moving through the universe.

How can joe blogs lap time get onto my screen, if my only connection was client side, Some form of information from the server has to be sent to my ps4, and some information has to be sent from my ps4 to the server. Its physically impossible for you to run gtsport from your client only, as soon as your network adaptor connect to the server, it will be using some bandwidth, totally explains the really slight input differences online and offline, and it is so minuscule I don't know why your worrying about it, and also its the same for everyone so get over it.

Extra objects dont add latency to your inputs. Ps4 cpu is strong to handle them at the same time. Stable 60 fps proves that.

Btw people here complain about changed physics when driving online mostly results with loss of grip. Input lag is whole different thing that has nothing to do with it. I didnt understand why did you bring it here.

Last edited:
Whatever the reason, this cryptic way of designing a game needs to change...you are losing all the good drivers PD...even diehard fans get tired.

PD doesn’t necessarily care about „good drivers“, they will do whatever brings the most revenue. And if that means catering to the masses rather than the „good drivers“, they’ll do it.

Well that's a sour perspective...not the way I would calculate PD's value equation...you mean one gets a broader fan base (engaged players = increased revenue) if the best players are mediocre?

I don't understand that kind of math.

PD doesn’t necessarily care about „good drivers“, they will do whatever brings the most revenue. And if that means catering to the masses rather than the „good drivers“, they’ll do it.

Well they got to pay the bills and who would of thought, they are in a business to make money. ..

Its intrest from the masses that generate the revenue that makes a game like this viable. If ONLY the die hard bought it, they would have to charge a whole lot more just to break even or simply make something else that will sell.

Well that's a sour perspective...not the way I would calculate PD's value equation...you mean one gets a broader fan base (engaged players = increased revenue) if the best players are mediocre?

I don't understand that kind of math.

Just look at the hyped titles like Fortnight. The more a game caters to 12 year olds the more money it will make.

It’s not like they WANT to lose the good players, they just don’t care as much as long as 10 eager noobs jump on the band wagon.

Last edited:
Back