What games did you get the most out of?

Good topic, I'm only going to list the games I played the most. Some may not be critically acclaimed games and some of these games are definitely critically acclaimed, but either way, I sure enjoyed all of them for longer than I play most games (even good ones).

Super Mario Bros - can't count how many hours I played this, I still fire up a game with my kids once in awhile.

Chronotrigger (SNES) I played through this game 6 times and achieved 6 out of the 7 possible endings, one of the best RPGs of all time.

James Bond, Golden Eye - Endless hours of both single player and multiplayer with friends.

Mortal Kombat Trilogy (N64) - Same deal, endless amount of battles, hours and hours of smack talk with friends, At one point in time, I probably knew every fatality, Babality and Friendship move for most all of the characters. Runner up: Street Fighter II

Gran Turismo 3 - My most played GT game to this day, GT1 and GT2 are close runner ups

Forza 2 - My most played Forza game to date, Forza 1, 3 and 4 are close runner ups though

Ace Combat 3 - Endless hours of a arcade flight combat.

GTA San Andreas - Best GTA game in terms of map and features and vehicles too. Hovercraft, why yes, thank you very much I'll take one. I still remember unlocking the airfield for the first time, which was epic. Runner up GTA3

Test Drive Unlimited 2 - over 1500 hours last time I checked, maybe more now. TDU1 is a close runner up but I was late to the party and didn't play it as much as I did #2

Skyrim - Probably the most epic game ever in terms of character creation and skill trees, I played at least a year straight before I finally stopped.

The Crew - Not sure if my hours into it come close to TDU2, but it has to be close, I only stopped playing because FH3 finally dethroned it, for now.

Minecraft - One of my favorite games of all time, still play it to this day, endless possibilities, love engineering with red stone , the game took on a whole new life once I figured out the basics of Red Stone.

Elite Dangerous - Been playing non stop since March, and I feel like I have just scratched the surface with all you can do in this game. I have yet to do some hardcore exploring and Mining, two professions that I have barely even touched. I'm at about 800 hours I believe with no end in sight. I'll probably end up playing this one more than TDU2 when all is said and done.

Honorable mentions: Metal Gear Solid 1 and 3 (Snake Eater), LOZ-Ocarina of Time, Tekken Tag, Star Wars-Rogue Squadron, Driver 1

I broke down and bought, for the third time, SimCity 4.

I have owned every version of the game up to 4, the best version. The newer versions of the game lost the spirit of the game.

SimCity (1989)
SimCity-original.png

I bought SimCity 4 in 2003. I lost a disc from the original SimCity, so a few years ago, I got the urge to start playing it again so I bought a copy from Amazon. Then Microsoft updated Windows 7, and my computer could no longer read the copy protected disc. After some research I found out which update broke the CD reader and deleted it. This worked fine until I upgraded to Windows 10. After that I found out there was no fix and my SimCity disc was useless.

So I bought a digital download. www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00457VJ3G/ref=oh_aui_d_detailpage_o01_?ie=UTF8&th=1

Now I can get back the important work of developing my 14 year old region.

MiXx3gk.jpg

b42ygS4.jpg

As you can see there is a lot of developed land, but still a lot that has not.

ntktWpS.jpg

Zoning a light residential area in the heart of downtown, developes into mansions.

Tg7DkHA.jpg

Click on a house or any other building and get a wealth of information.

tONNzs8.jpg

For those who may not know, in SimCity, you don't build private buildings. You build infrastructure, and zone the land, and the Sims do the rest of the work.

Edit: Let me add, when I bought this game in 2003, I owned a very fast gamer PC. This game ran a little slow. Now I have a cheap (<$400) laptop, and this game runs better than it ever has.

Last edited:
Grand Prix Legends/Nascar Racing 2003 - was in a league in the early 2000s and got heavily into car painting and modding GPL...

Pixeljunk Monsters - I still play this PS3 tower defense game. I just love it...

Microsoft Flightsim 2004 ACOF - oh man the hours I spent on this game loading it up with detailed add-ons and flying around the world.

Fruit Ninja - I played this little mobile game obsessively for several years. It's the one game that I'd honestly say I might have been one of the best in the world at playing.

Fuel - I put at least 200 hours into it, driving, exploring, making crazy races up with the track creator using crazier weather conditions.
Dead Island - likewise, put a lot of time into building all the characters up, tackling the story from different angles - even after 180 hours I still haven't got three of the characters to maximum level.
Driveclub - recently slowed down on this but played it pretty much daily since the launch almost three years ago.
Borderlands 2 - No idea how much time I put into this as on the Playstation it doesn't show you how many hours you've played, not even on the savefile. Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel I've also played through more times than I'd care to admit.
FarCry 2 - Again, four characters so far and an unhealthy fascination for the game's atmosphere. I also enjoyed approaching the missions differently each time.
Brink - In essence a pretty limited game at first glance: a civil war where you get to play a character on both sides. Down in the details though, it has so much to offer and turned out to be loads of fun. Great character customisation, plenty of characters to set up and store, all interchangeable to suit your mood of the moment and of course, their counterparts for the other side in the struggle. Man, I miss that game.
Lego City Undercover - simply a huge, fun romp that's been a pleasure to play. So many collectables (mostly costumes and vehicles) to find, unlock and explore the game with.

The Pro Evolution series, specifically 13. On the 360 you could still pixel edit badges and shirt sponsors, so I Set about making every team sponsored, by either leaving them with their generic names (SD Quaztolla for example) or creating my own (Calcio Amalfi from Italy, St Paul's Bay of Malta, Plymouth City and a few others). I then mixed up the leagues so there were entrants from multiple nationalities in each league and they played under the Winning Eleven Football Association banner. A labour of love that spanned PES11 as well, thanks to the asset import feature that still supported the older game. The Xbox One gets none of these edit features so I no longer buy it. I do have PES16 on my PS3, but I used an option file with authentic kits, badges and league logos but it just doesn't grab me the same way. I have FIFA 17 for authenticity. PES was always my fantasy football.

In terms of time spent, there's a fair amount:

Final Fantasy VII: Got it Christmas '98. Must've done at least five playthroughs before we got a PS2. Revisited it once or twice during that era. Replayed it once that I can think of in 2010. Just finished a platinum playthrough on PS4 earlier this year (which felt very strange). Even being generous and saying none of those saves went over 40 hours, that's still... 360 or so hours?!

Final Fantasy X: My original save on PS2 was well over 100 hours, and that was in addition to a secondary when I realized I had messed up getting a final weapon. I got the PS3 remaster years ago and it's sitting at around the same amount of time, though in both cases, there's a good chance it was left running when I wasn't actually playing.

Gran Turismo 4: I think this ends up ahead of GT3, largely because of Photomode and the community here. I slowly phased it out around late 2008 or so — and gaming in general, for a short while — but the size of it is what kept me playing.

Super Mario Brothers 3: The classic. I couldn't tell you how many times I've played this, from the age of about four to as recently as a few weeks ago. It never gets old to me. It's just an enjoyable title that has outstanding depth given the entire game is less data than a decently-sized image these days.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2: The best Sonic game. We were a Genesis household in a sea of SNES places as a kid, and while I love me some SML, Sonic 2 was just more my style back then. The speed, the fluidity — this game is etched in my mind. My sister and I played through it last year, and we still knew every little secret and grabbed all the emeralds by the end of the Chemical Plant.

Jet Moto: The odd one out in this group, I'll admit. This wasn't a fantastic game, but it was the source of hours of entertainment in our neighbourhood. When a few friends and I stumbled across our own version of Tag in Jet Moto, that became the name of the game. Basically, you started a head-to-head race, and whoever made it to the Rocks section in the map below last was "it". With the various cheats in the game, it was possible to climb the huge lower left rock, or launch off it for seconds of air time. So much fun.

upload_2017-7-16_23-45-1.png

Metal Gear Solid 2: Collecting dog tags. Trying to make sense of the story. Teenage Slip loved this stuff.

Grand Theft Auto San Andreas: The sheer scale of this game was just amazing back in the early aughts. I'd load it up just to cruise, or explore. It's something I find appealing about GTAV, but being much older, the opportunities are few and far between.

- Burnout Paradise. Got about 475 of the 500 freeburn challenges done on my first save before my original PS3 bricked.

- COD Black Ops. Playing both multiplayer (Come on Treyarch, ditch the Pick 10 system and bring back the currency!) and Zombies for so long was a treat indeed. And killing people with the most OP SMG ever in the AK74U.

- Battlefield 3. I miss the old slaughterhouse servers in the container area at Noshahr Canals. Spent many a days getting weapon unlocks there.

- NFS Hot Pursuit 2. Still playing it now...and my copy is more then 10 years old at this point.

PES series,Red Alert,F1 series,MGSV.

Recently discovered the Sniper Elite series and will put a lot of time into number 4 when i get it.

Interesting question...

My memory of old systems is bad at this point so I'm going to stick to more modern stuff.

GTA Vice City
All GT games
Golden Eye
COD MW2
Fallout 4
The Division

But the winner by far and easily 10 times the rest of them combined...

World Of Warcraft

Simply put, you can't be a top tier raider without having an insane amount of time.

Some light gun games on the Spectrum 128k +2, and maybe a Thunderbirds game... 30 years ago... many drinks since then.

Creatures & Creatures 2, Retrograde, Outrun Europa, Myth, Tau Ceti, Red Storm Rising, NIGHT SHIFT!, Stuntcar Racer, Vendetta, Impossible Mission, Beach Head, Traz, Shoot 'em up construction kit, Platoon, Hypersports, Hunt for Red October, Supremacy... most of the Dizzy series... (Commodore 64)

JohnnyReb (Amiga 500), Bip (Amiga 500)

Batman, (yeah okay Sonic too..) 688 attack sub, LHX attack chopper and F22 Interceptor on the Sega Megadrive

Doom on a 486 DX2 66, followed by B17: Flying Fortress, when it worked.. Doom 2, all the Doom content creators, DEU, DH2, BSP, WADED etc...

Time Crisis (in the arcades man...!!! £1 a go!!!)

Gran Turismo 1, and then 2, Driver, Driver 2, Destruction Derby Raw (Playstation)

Sky Odessey, Gran Turismo 3, Driver 3, Stuntman, Gran Turismo 4, GTA III, GTA Vice City, GTA San Andreas (Playstation 2)

Gran Turismo 5 & 6, GTA 4 and 5... Tekken sssiii...see...fff... whatever...... John Woo's Stranglehold.... and possibly the greatest game of all time - Red Dead Redemption (Playstation 3)

PS4.... nothing yet... too much online multiplayer ****...

• All Gran Turismo games
  • COD: World at War, Modern Warfare 1, 2 & 3, Black ops 1, 2 & 3, Ghosts, Advanced & Infinite Warfare & Modern Warfare Remastered
  • FIFA 2005, 2009, 2011
  • Driver 1, 2 & 3 & '76
  • Burnout 3: Takedown
  • Midnight Club 3: Dub Edition
  • The Simpsons Hit & Run
  • Star Wars Battlefront 1, 2 & EA Battlefront
  • DiRT 3
  • Need For Speed Underground 2, Most Wanted '05, Carbon, Pro Street, The Run, Most Wanted '12, Rivals & NFS '15
  • Lego Star Wars the complete saga
  • Saints Row IV
  • Wolfenstein The New Order & The Old Blood
  • All WWE games from 2007 - present
  • Forza Horizon 1, 2 & 3
  • Forza Motorsports 3, 4 & 6
  • Halo 4
  • Watch_Dogs

Was thinking about this at work today (was a slow day lol) and I realised i have enjoyed quiet a few games over the years. I will list in order that i played them
  • Vigilant 8. Played this so much with my brother split screen on the play station we played co-op against AI and literally always on the same map lol
  • Simcity 3000 I had a computer that could barley run it but i played it all through the summer holidays 1 year.
  • Tiger woods PGA tour 02 and 05. On to the PS2 now, I loved these two versions of the game 02 got me started then i got hooked on 05 playing with 3 people passing the controller around.
  • Gran Turismo 4 wasn't very good at it but it didn't stop me playing it haha.
  • Trackmania united forever on the PC i joined a clan and played lots of this with some 🤬 mobile internet thing.
  • Can't rember its name but it was a high player count FPS game on the pc Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising I used to play with the same 🤬 mobile internet dongle where i good ping time was under 150ms lol. It drove me crazy the amount of times i had a good match going only to get disconnected.
  • Battlefield bad company 2 This was my first FPS game (that i ran with proper internet)and i put about 500 hours into it i started off not being able to see the map without a 4x scope and by the end I was whipping ass with a G3,iron sights and magnum ammo.
  • Battlefield 3 didn't put as many hours into this but still a few hundred
  • Gran turismo 5 really enjoyed this one and since i was older i could actually do pretty well on this one.
  • Driveclub I didn't really like hot lapping till i played this but i could spend hours doing community challenges trying to shave 10ths off a lap.
  • Forza Horizon 3 Just got a new PC that can run it ulta 60fps and its been my go to pc game everyday for the past month.
Probably some more that i missed but thats most of em.

Last edited:
Turok 2 - Played through this game numerous times as a kid, with cheats of course. This year I finally beat it without cheats, thanks to the buttery smooth framerate and keyboard+mouse controls of the recently released PC remaster.

Pokemon Red, Blue, Gold and Silver: Poured hundreds upon hundreds of hours into these games. The only modern Pokemon game I came close to investing that much time into is Alpha Sapphire, which I think I might've just barely broken the 100 hour mark.

Perfect Dark - This game was so good that when friends came over, we opted to play it instead of Halo... even if it did run at 7 FPS. Played through the campaign multiple times and loved everything about it.

Silent Hill 2 - I've probably played through this game dozens of times by now. I used to speedrun it as a kid, before I knew speedrunning was an actual thing... though my best time from back then (sub-1h30m) doesn't quite hold a candle to the current WR of 42m 16s. I'll still play through it every now and then, usually near Halloween or something.

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic - I've played through this game multiple times, but I loved the opening world in particular so much that I would replay that portion numerous times. Excellent game, itching to replay it again someday soon.

Gran Turismo 4 - Easily the racing game I spent the most time playing. I put countless hours into it, and made an earnest effort to try and "git gud".

Elder Scrolls Morrowind & Oblivion - Put countless hours into both of these, loved being immersed in their worlds. Skyrim didn't quite manage to hook me in the same way.

Final Fantasy XII - Another game I put countless hours into, it's very similar to KOTOR so it scratched that itch for me once I had milked KOTOR dry. I'm currently replaying the newly released remaster, and it's every bit as good as I remember it being... if not better.

Back