What happened to rally?

Messages
28
I just unlocked the S-Class races and I was really expecting to see a few rally events. GT5 had a good amount, so what happened? I bought the C4 Rally car and I'll never be able to use it. I'm hoping for some serious DLC. There are snow tires available, but no snow events...? Whats up with that?
 
Arcade mode only , single player races are so boring -_-, you can also do it online but I've only seen 1 snow race which was the mission race in the special segment . Stupid boring sector race which I had to do over like 5 times
 
There are loads of rally tracks.
Theres like 6, but technically about 3 because one is just different layouts. PD don't really know a good definition of rallying. Rallying does not always mean cars on snow or dirt, its a little bit more than that. They should have brought back the old city rally stages from GT3 or GT4 where it was intense, narrow corners and sharp turns, now that was rallying.

If PD ever decide to make a track that leads from the city to the woods being part tarmac and part gravel, I will say that rallying has returned but as of now, driving a Quattro on some dirt or snow with about 1 tourney in the whole game is not really a good rally experience.
 
I never seem to get those gold either .... -_____-
Me neither, I'm surprised there aren't more help-threads on that. I guess people don't care, as they won't give you trophies...
 
Me neither, I'm surprised there aren't more help-threads on that. I guess people don't care, as they won't give you trophies...

Its actually not that bad. I'm not saying I'm Sebastian Loeb but the key is throttle. Braking and then getting back on the throttle is slow and hard and makes your car steer like a Bugatti on snow/dirt courses (not calling it rally courses because its not).

Tips: Stay centered, keep gear indicator on, and if you have to brake, brake really early, and slow down through steering. What I mean is say you approach a 2nd gear corner and you are in 5th, brake early before the apex, drop to 3rd, then stop braking and get on the throttle but slowly, keep it in rpms low enough to drop to 2nd at the exit for acceleration. Because the way the game is modeled, braking will dig the car into the ground, and that means you can't steer and acceleration is hard. You could also try drifting your way through the corners, either dab the handbrakes or simply power throttle all the way through and countersteer. The important thing here is be a man, brakes are the cowards pedals haha joking, but you need to brake early and instead use your momentum to take you through corners and let the engine brake by itself.

I think the Toscana mission with the Quattro took me a couple of tries about 5, but you just have to re learn to not brake so hard as the car really digs in and you lose a lot of traction.
 
Its actually not that bad. I'm not saying I'm Sebastian Loeb but the key is throttle. Braking and then getting back on the throttle is slow and hard and makes your car steer like a Bugatti on snow/dirt courses (not calling it rally courses because its not).

Tips: Stay centered, keep gear indicator on, and if you have to brake, brake really early, and slow down through steering. What I mean is say you approach a 2nd gear corner and you are in 5th, brake early before the apex, drop to 3rd, then stop braking and get on the throttle but slowly, keep it in rpms low enough to drop to 2nd at the exit for acceleration. Because the way the game is modeled, braking will dig the car into the ground, and that means you can't steer and acceleration is hard. You could also try drifting your way through the corners, either dab the handbrakes or simply power throttle all the way through and countersteer. The important thing here is be a man, brakes are the cowards pedals haha joking, but you need to brake early and instead use your momentum to take you through corners and let the engine brake by itself.

I think the Toscana mission with the Quattro took me a couple of tries about 5, but you just have to re learn to not brake so hard as the car really digs in and you lose a lot of traction.
Thanks for the rally tips, but I actually meant I was surprised no-one is asking for tips on the cone coffee breaks :D
 
Thanks for the rally tips, but I actually meant I was surprised no-one is asking for tips on the cone coffee breaks :D

Tips for the coffee break:

1. Get grinded coffee beans, I usually have Starbucks pouches so you can pour hot water without sifting the grinds later.
2. Pour hot water, usually enough to reach 1/3 of the cup, less or more for weaker or stronger tastes respectively.
3. Add enough sugar for personal taste, I usually drink black as the bitterness wakes me up.
4. Add cream if necessary (throw it away, real men don't use cream with coffee)
5. Mix well and drink, can be chilled if you like cold coffee.
6. Read a newspaper, or a book while drinking, sit in a chair, relax, ponder life.

Thats what I usually do, but I can't guarantee that it will work all the time. :P
 
Tips for the coffee break:

1. Get grinded coffee beans, I usually have Starbucks pouches so you can pour hot water without sifting the grinds later.
2. Pour hot water, usually enough to reach 1/3 of the cup, less or more for weaker or stronger tastes respectively.
3. Add enough sugar for personal taste, I usually drink black as the bitterness wakes me up.
4. Add cream if necessary (throw it away, real men don't use cream with coffee)
5. Mix well and drink, can be chilled if you like cold coffee.
6. Read a newspaper, or a book while drinking, sit in a chair, relax, ponder life.

Thats what I usually do, but I can't guarantee that it will work all the time. :p

Doooooood, the MUFFINS...you forgot the MUFFINS :D
 
I bought a '99 Impreza Rally car in hopes that there would be races to take it out on. It's only been used on Gornergrat League... I used my 96 Legacy Wagon for the rally races (sorta my car in reality, just had to do it XD). I was hoping that there would be more Rally races throughout, but I was sorely mistaken. That's one thing that has bugged me about this game: Lack of proper rally races. Maybe I just need to go pick up Dirt2 for that...
 
There's not nearly enough rally events for my liking. The rallying ie on dirt and snow is the one area of the game where I consider myself to be good. GT5 had a nice number of events (though more would have been good). My favourite rally stages are still the ones from GT4 on El Capitan track....nice combination of dirt and tarmac made them good ones. Here's hoping they add some more in a future update (unlikely but we can hope).....would love to see some rally seasonals!
 
Pretty sure we'll see them introduced as an update in the near future. I can't imagine PD would have put all those rally cars and dirt tyres in the game if there was never going to be a way to use them.
 
I don't know. I don't like the dumb coffee breaks either, but the rally always seemed like it was an afterthought in GT. I guess it's nearly OK if you never played any proper rally game in the past (and thus do no not know how a rally car should behave), but as my childhood was filled with Colin McRae's, Rally Championships and Richard Burns Rally, I cannot rate the rally stages in GT higher than "poor". No proper feedback, no feel, really stiff cars... it's really like they took a normal paved track, added dust effects and reduced grip a lot.

Bottom line: it's sad not being able to use those Integrales and 205 Turbos as they were meant to, but I don't really miss the rallies.
 
@pzkpfw I agree and have played all of those plus every WRC and every Dirt, I've even played Sega Rally and you're right the rallying in GT has always been a little suspect but it was good enough to give a challenge and some were even enjoyable especially the rally TT's.

I look forward to them being re-introduced in GT6 especially because of the revised physics engine
 
Pretty sure we'll see them introduced as an update in the near future. I can't imagine PD would have put all those rally cars and dirt tyres in the game if there was never going to be a way to use them.

Oh, I could imagine that very clearly!! PD sometimes do things for no rhyme or reason but just because they feel like it (Lunar Missions anyone?). Besides, I am sure they would argue that you can use them in the (few) rally events we have had. I sure do hope that the number of cars in the game like that indicates a likelihood of an update as that would point towards a Pikes Peak event given the sudden increase in the number of Pike Peaks specialist vehicles!
 
If PD ever decide to make a track that leads from the city to the woods being part tarmac and part gravel, I will say that rallying has returned but as of now, driving a Quattro on some dirt or snow with about 1 tourney in the whole game is not really a good rally experience.
A few of the Eiger trails offer a sliver of tarmac to go with the dirt.
 
A few of the Eiger trails offer a sliver of tarmac to go with the dirt.

Yeah I forgot about that, but its still only a sliver, not a full on legitimate 50/50 or even 70/30 split.
 
We could argue there is no rally, but the ability to do rally... The event can be run with road cars with dirt tires...

Did drifting kill rally as a game play mechanic? I love sliding around in the dirt, does drifting feel similar?

I can't drift to save my life... In a game...
 
I guess it's just simply that pd put their priorities elsewhere, liking giving us lunar missions etc (ie stuff we didn't need), and got rid of/toned down the stuff they could care less about. I'm not expecting any more rally events in gt6 and wouldn't be surprised to see them gone in gt7. After all, pd give us what they feel like and not what we want..they have developed the same attitude of most other developers
 
Man i wish they would bring back some good rally events in the future, anyone remember tahiti from gt3?:bowdown: I can still remember the joy i felt hitting that 2:10 for the rally license trial in the evo 6 rally car
 
Why does dirt feel like greased ice? I admit I've never driven at speed on dirt roads in real life, but I have driven on snow quite a bit, and the GT6 dirt feels far more slippery. GT5 snow had more grip than GT6 dirt and it just seems rather strange.

As it stands I think I'm likely to skip those entirely. It just isn't fun. (the way it is)
 
Why does dirt feel like greased ice? I admit I've never driven at speed on dirt roads in real life, but I have driven on snow quite a bit, and the GT6 dirt feels far more slippery. GT5 snow had more grip than GT6 dirt and it just seems rather strange.

As it stands I think I'm likely to skip those entirely. It just isn't fun. (the way it is)

The dirt driving does feel slightly more "out of control" than it did in GT5, although maybe that's the different car dynamics not being considered when doing the rally stages..my guess is they just copied all the rally bits from GT5 (as in did no work on them, beyond visual) and didn't consider the alterations they made to the cars and how they handle. Snow driving seems to be fairly similar though...just not enough of it.

The one good thing about GT5 was they had the Sebastien Loeb challenge consisting of multi-stage events which were good...even if you ended up winning them by huge margins due to the AI being even more incompetent on snow and dirt than they are usually :lol:)
 
I grew up in an area of outback Australia where all the roads were dirt, and just occasionally, I just might have "driven at speed" :mischievous:. GT6 feels pretty good to me.

The other thing that I notice is that when driving into clouds of dust from the cars ahead, I seem to actually smell the dust and get that dry feeling in my nose. :crazy: Amazing, the memories that linger!
 
I grew up in an area of outback Australia where all the roads were dirt, and just occasionally, I just might have "driven at speed" :mischievous:. GT6 feels pretty good to me.

The other thing that I notice is that when driving into clouds of dust from the cars ahead, I seem to actually smell the dust and get that dry feeling in my nose. :crazy: Amazing, the memories that linger!

I learned to drive in the Chihuahuan Desert of El Paso Texas. Pretty much the the outback with no wallabies. I know exactly what your talking about with the dust thing :yuck:. The gt6 rally feels pretty good to me also. At 15/16 years old you can bet that I drove everything that I got my hands on at speed through the desert. :D
 
Last edited:
I rallycross and the dirt physics feel pretty good to me. With proper dirt tracks I'd even consider using it for training for events.
 
I suspect that if they do add them, it'll be as a special event series type thing. I much prefer the way the cars feel on dirt in GT6 to 5 though, you don't feel like you're driving on super low grip tarmac any more.
 
You know, after reading what you guys said here, I actually tried the rallying in GT6 and was pleasantly surprised. I don't know if it's the new suspension physics or the tires or something else, but it's indeed better. It's come a long way since GT4's rally. I almost enjoy it now.
 
Back