What happened to tyre smoke?

United Kingdom
Druids Bend
Z4E_Midnight85
Hi all. Random question, but have PD changed something with regards to generating tyre smoke when drifting? I used to get loads of tyre smoke in the early days of GT 7, but recently I've gone back to drifting and I'm noticing very little smoke being generated, despite being in the same car, same track, same settings/tyres, and drifting the same as before. Any idea what's going on??

Early days:

20969945903148636.jpg

Yesterday:

20970124525473836.jpg

To check it wasn't the car I tried the Sileighty, Z Performance and M2, and all did the same as above.

Last edited:
It was reduced but tyre smoke is still there just less likely to show up than before
Reduced, massively! I was able to get a small bit of smoke from the Z Performance, but it's only very occasional and a bit of a let down when pulling off massive drifts and there's literally zero tyre smoke.

It was nerfed in one of the early updates sadly.

Not like PD cares about their customers anyway. They are going with their agenda and have the sell behind them to back them up.

I still feel like they sold me a big update for GTS rather than a new game. Same update model, there's still a lot of classes that dont even have a race on a track variation. It's sad tbh. And it's not like single player race are hard to do or hard to implant. Just need one person to be handling that and he can probably set up 20 to 30 races per day with the tools they have at disposition. Or just bump up the reward on custom races. Instead of being pricky with their money and having car collection that constantly cost more because of the stupid Hagerty scheme and their stupid gasha tickets.

I was all about supporting Kaz and PD but this game end up my trust with them. They wont get me to preorder another game from them. Thank god, there's Assetto Corsa and modders.

As already mentioned above they made a significant change to tire smoke many updates ago. Probably had to do with how badly it looked in action. For some reason in screenshots and pictures it looked alright but to see it being generated and disappearing in replays it looked horribly pixelated and really out of place next to the car and environment which were very high quality.

It was nerfed in one of the early updates sadly.

Not like PD cares about their customers anyway. They are going with their agenda and have the sell behind them to back them up.

I still feel like they sold me a big update for GTS rather than a new game. Same update model, there's still a lot of classes that dont even have a race on a track variation. It's sad tbh. And it's not like single player race are hard to do or hard to implant. Just need one person to be handling that and he can probably set up 20 to 30 races per day with the tools they have at disposition. Or just bump up the reward on custom races. Instead of being pricky with their money and having car collection that constantly cost more because of the stupid Hagerty scheme and their stupid gasha tickets.

I was all about supporting Kaz and PD but this game end up my trust with them. They wont get me to preorder another game from them. Thank god, there's Assetto Corsa and modders.
I stopped supporting after GT6. I only got GT7 because my BF sold me his PS4 at a cheap price.

I'm on PS5, and I noticed that, when I don't have the camera trained on my car, it produces a lot more smoke, both from wheelspins and dirt kick up. Switching the camera back from a competitor back onto my car, the smoke effect diminishes massively.

What I do for photo shoots is to view a competitor car, then pause it when my car is generating smoke, switch the focus to my car for the higher LOD, then go to photo mode.

If anyone can test If this work on a PS4 as well, I'd appreciate it.

Back