What if GT5 was re-released...

• Thread starter GTPM118
  • 47 comments
Mexico
Mexico
M-118
What if GT5 was re-released as a PS4 title. I know it is not the smartest idea, but after watching the Acura NSX thread.. it looks better than other previus GT Videos so far... rumors about the ps4 orbis are showing up more and more, so what if GT5 was re-released for ps4 as a ps3 classic.

And all the bugs we have like shadows, for example, just go away.
Would you buy it?

Rereleased? No. Absolutely not.

Remade as a quick PS4 launch title, a la Vision Gran Turismo? I wouldn't have much of a problem with that.

i know i know it's a bad idea. But sony "somehow" need a flagship and GT5 came to late for a lauch with the ps3... that's what I thought.

It would probably be the worst selling Gran Turismo including Prologues. Not a good idea. There will be at least 3 years between GT5's release and the PS4 so that should give PD plenty of time to develope and release GT6 soon after PS4 comes out. That is the route they should go.

What if GT5 was re-released as a PS4 title. I know it is not the smartest idea, but after watching the Acura NSX thread.. it looks better than other previus GT Videos so far... rumors about the ps4 orbis are showing up more and more, so what if GT5 was re-released for ps4 as a ps3 classic.

Would you buy it?

No.

90% of the issues I had with GT5 were not graphics related, so theres little PS4 could do to fix that.

GT5 is a 'down' chapter in GT's history that needs to be closed.

GTPM118
i know i know it's a bad idea. But sony "somehow" need a flagship and GT5 came to late for a lauch with the ps3... that's what I thought.

1) What would be the point? GT fans already bought GT5 for PS3. We aren't going to buy it again for PS4.

2) How is a last-gen (from the perspective of PS4) game going to serve as a flagship title? That's like a nation with a modern naval fleet dragging an old wooden galleon from a scrapyard and launching it as their flagship.

Yeah, this would sell between five and ten copies worldwide.

1) What would be the point? GT fans already bought GT5 for PS3. We aren't going to buy it again for PS4.

2) How is a last-gen (from the perspective of PS4) game going to serve as a flagship title? That's like a nation with a modern naval fleet dragging an old wooden galleon from a scrapyard and launching it as their flagship.

:lol: 👍

I bought the PS3 for GT5 - Well GT5P actually, but only because GT5 didn't come out when I thought it would.

And to the OP, that is even more ridiculous than GT6 being a PS4 title.

GTPM118

Would you buy it?

Of all the bad ideas on here this would take the cake.

Simple answer no.

I bought the PS3 for GT5 - Well GT5P actually, but only because GT5 didn't come out when I thought it would.

Well yes because GT6 being a PS4 game isn't ridiculous at all. You're one of very few people that hasn't accepted it's a PS4 game.

Last edited:
LOL, I thought I heard those little feet running in here Simon.

The BSr guy with the "What I know" thread was yet another point in my favor as far as I am concerned.

A new console requires an engine rewrite. - Kaz has already said that is not the case for GT6.

But this thread is not about that. Let's just wait for the "I told you so" thread.

ONE of us is going to have a GREAT time in that thread. Only time will tell.

Chrunch Houston

The BSr guy with the "What I know" thread was yet another point in my favor as far as I am concerned.

A new console requires an engine rewrite. - Kaz has already said that is not the case for GT6.

But this thread is not about that. Let's just wait for the "I told you so" thread.

cant wait.

No.

90% of the issues I had with GT5 were not graphics related, so theres little PS4 could do to fix that.

GT5 is a 'down' chapter in GT's history that needs to be closed.

I'd like to know why you think that is?

-First (full) GT game with Online.
-First (full) GT game with night, weather effects.
-First GT game with visible damage.
-First (full) GT game with more than 6 cars on the track.
-Improved AI (emphasis on improved, not perfected)
-First GT game to feature Maserati, (officially) Lamborghini and Mclaren
-First GT game to implement visual customization outside of spoilers.
-Return (quietly) of Racing Modifications.
-Introduced track generator.
-etc. etc.

No, it wasn't flawless, perfect, amazing, but GT5 (along with GT5:P) was a huge step forward for the franchise. A laundry list of things that we've been begging for for a decade were checked off in one and a half games.

GT5 is the perfect game, because PD will know where to go now. Where to take it further.

A year ago, I had a very long, drawn out, almost-nasty debate with another gentleman on here about whether GT6 would be on the PS3 or PS4. I was in favor of the PS3 and had a good deal of quotes and rumors that pointed to such... but even I have accepted that it is about 99% most likely going to be on the PS4, with the other 1% being that they announce that they're going to stop making games in general... or announce Tourist Trophy 2... or the world ends.

How can that guy lying, if indeed he was, add anything in favour of PS3? If he is lying about having a source his post is entirely worthless either way.

As for the other points haven't we already been over them before? A new console doesn't need an engine rewrite and not everything Kaz says comes true.

So just out of interest at what point in time would you admit a PS3 title isn't happening?

As for "I told you so" i'm not 12, If i'm wrong i'll just admit it and move on.

SimonK
How can that guy lying, if indeed he was, add anything in favour of PS3? If he is lying about having a source his post is entirely worthless either way.

As for the other points haven't we already been over them before? A new console doesn't need an engine rewrite and not everything Kaz says comes true.

So just out of interest at what point in time would you admit a PS3 title isn't happening?

As for "I told you so" i'm not 12, If i'm wrong i'll just admit it and move on.

True there is nothing lost by admitting your wrong that is IF your wrong.

Time will tell.

Well I already admitted I was probably wrong once, If you look back I also used to strongly support a PS3 title, argued with one guy strongly why it made sense but once TGS came and went with no GT6 announcement I realised it was too late and changed my mind. Maybe it'll turn out I was doubly wrong to change my mind but somehow I doubt it.

SimonK
Well I already admitted I was probably wrong once, If you look back I also used to strongly support a PS3 title, argued with one guy strongly why it made sense but once TGS came and went with no GT6 announcement I realised it was too late. Maybe it'll turn out I was doubly wrong to change my mind but somehow I doubt it.

TGS was the turning point for me as well after that passed I changed my thinking to PS4.

A year ago, I had a very long, drawn out, almost-nasty debate with another gentleman on here about whether GT6 would be on the PS3 or PS4. I was in favor of the PS3 and had a good deal of quotes and rumors that pointed to such... but even I have accepted that it is about 99% most likely going to be on the PS4, with the other 1% being that they announce that they're going to stop making games in general... or announce Tourist Trophy 2... or the world ends.

I had an almost exactly opposite experience. I was sure GT6 was going to be a PS4 title, but there was a thread on here don't remember which one. (and ready for bed so not going to look it up)(but you are welcome to look at my post history)

While preparing a post and doing some research I found so much evidence to the contrary that I changed my mind.

Now I will admit that these days I do see the GT6 world thru these "GT6=PS3" glasses, but I have found no credible evidence to change that.

Simon thinks timing is an important thing - I don't. The "rumor" that PS4 will be announced soon, so GT6 won't, just does not fly with me.

Why couldn't they announce GT6 release for November 2013 and PS4 release for sometime in 2014? There is also a (credible) rumor of a GT Prologue in the works for the PS4. GT7 Prologue would be my guess.

And new to all of this are all of these new track sightings in all of these videos we have been seeing lately.

I swear to god I'm going to have to stop wearing a hat!

Simon the guy says:

…
3. The game builds upon the GT5 engine and has given them a huge development headstart that allows me to be confident that the launch window for GT6 is March 2014 in Japan.

I am not a professional programmer but I have done lots of BASIC, a little C+ and a little Assembly language programming.

ANY game ENGINE is going to be written in the lowest level language for that machine. THAT MACHINE. The PS4 is going to be a whole new machine.

Come back to the right side Simon – you know what is right.

GT1 GT2 on ps
GT3 GT4 on ps2
GT5 GT6 on ps3

Prologue(rumor) 7 for PS4 in the works.

The GT5 engine has as much of a chance of working on the PS4 as wii bowling.

As much as I want PD to work hard on improving the racing gameplay and release what GT5 was meant to be on PS3 instead of concentrating on already pretty good performance-depending stuff like the physic and graphic engines, I think it is too late for GT6 to come on PS3.

Think ahead, if rumors about Gran Turismo Prologue being a PS4 title are true, would PD really release yet another full game that has to be downgraded to work on PS3? They are so much about perfection, doing the maximum possible, it would just conflict pretty much all their principles. Not to mention it's not as simple as moving some graphic detail sliders lower to make such a complicated game useable on a console as much weaker compared to PS4 as the PS3 is.

Would you buy it?

This might be covered, but, provisionally yes.

Yes, I would, under the provisions that;

A. GT6 wasn't released yet
B. The PS4 is not backwards compatible with PS3 titles (Sony enjoying slicing their own brains out as they have been for 7+ years)
C. I had reason to buy a PS4 other than owning a superior GT5/GT5.1

No I wouldn't if I didn't need a PS4, and my reason for buying a PS4 will likely be GT6, so, not looking that good, however, once I have a PS4 and GT6, if GT5 were out on PS4, I'd consider it, if it were cheap enough, and improved enough, but I'm hoping that I'll never need too, no.

What I would love to see PD do is when you play GT5 on the PS4 that they release a PS4 specific patch for GT5 that it improves the shadows , add anti aliasing and improve loading times in each race.

Snaeper

Online was good, but not great.

Snaeper

On 3-4 tracks after 5 years of development and 24 months of patches? Not impressed.

Snaeper

Visible Damage in GT5 is awful in so many ways, to say the least.

Snaeper

We only get to race against 11 AI cars in 99% of A-Spec races. So many features of GT5 were half baked

Snaeper

The AI took 2 steps forward, but also a step back in some areas. Why do they brake so early?

Snaeper

And what a pathetically small collection of cars from those makes. We got 2 Mclarens, (Forza got several McLaren race cars) 1 (?) Maserati, 4 or 5 Lamborghinis, and the collection of Ferraris is horrendous when compared to Forza

But I can rest at night knowing there are 150 skylines to choose from. Why do you need more Ferraris when you can have so many skylines?

Snaeper

Why was it gone in the first place? And still why is it limited to a few cars?

Snaeper

Two words. Half baked.

Snaeper
-etc. etc.

In the end its my opinion that all these 'upgrades' for GT5 were not worth the 5 year wait. And I dont agree with PD's decision to spend time and resources patching the game instead of working to release #6 on the PS3.

And theres always the fact Forza has over 500 premium cars and GT5 has half as many.

One GT on PS3 is a fail no matter how you want to look at it. Yes it sold 10M copies, but COD sells 10M every year. Thats no indicator of quality.

GT5 Reloaded. Lol.

I definetely want a new GT6 because of better more tracks, online modes, weather & time changes, more cars on the grid and something like autolog. I doubt all that would be in a "GT5 Reloaded"

GT5? Re release for the PS4? Sorry, but no. I rather have a fresh new game ready for the PS4, and that is GT(6) to breath fresh new air from imo.

I'd like to know why you think that is?

-First GT game to implement visual customization outside of spoilers.
-etc. etc.

No, it wasn't flawless, perfect, amazing, but GT5 (along with GT5:P) was a huge step forward for the franchise. A laundry list of things that we've been begging for for a decade were checked off in one and a half games.

GT5 is the perfect game, because PD will know where to go now. Where to take it further.

You make it seem as though just because it was the first to do these things that translates to a great game. We've argued this topic to death GT5 was a disaster even if you don't believe it.

Not only that some of these things it did extremely poorly to subpar to average.

On 3-4 tracks after 5 years of development and 24 months of patches? Not impressed.

Still good to today's standards. Name racing games on consoles that have weather features apart from TDU, F1 series.

It's not that bad when you actually damage the car after many crashes. Which is bad but damage is there.

We only get to race against 11 AI cars in 99% of A-Spec races. So many features of GT5 were half baked

The game supports 16, and 12 cars in a race is great, Forza and racing games on consoles support 12 too, so no big deal as it's normal to
''today's standards''.

The AI took 2 steps forward, but also a step back in some areas. Why do they brake so early?

Indeed.

And what a pathetically small collection of cars from those makes. We got 2 Mclarens, (Forza got several McLaren race cars) 1 (?) Maserati, 4 or 5 Lamborghinis, and the collection of Ferraris is horrendous when compared to Forza

But I can rest at night knowing there are 150 skylines to choose from. Why do you need more Ferraris when you can have so many skylines?

Shift's works is limited to some cars too.

In the end its my opinion that all these 'upgrades' for GT5 were not worth the 5 year wait. And I dont agree with PD's decision to spend time and resources patching the game instead of working to release #6 on the PS3.

And theres always the fact Forza has over 500 premium cars and GT5 has half as many.

Forza's cars are nowhere near Premium cars, I have it, big difference.

One GT on PS3 is a fail no matter how you want to look at it. Yes it sold 10M copies, but COD sells 10M every year. Thats no indicator of quality.

So, GT is not half baked as its up to ''today's standards'' sorry for using ''today's standards'' too much:ouch:.

On-Topic: I rather see GT6 in PS4 than on PS3.

So lets get rid of it then since they didn't meet our expectations

It was more than that, but lets get rid of it then, since they didn't do a good job. Racing at night and in the rain is hard, and I hate when the sun gets in my eyes.

Agreed, but they did it. They listened after we asked for it so many times. This is a feature I'd more than happily never see in another GT title, even if they had done a good job.

You're absolutely right, we really don't get to race against 15 cars that often. I'd much rather we went back to racing against 5.

I don't know why they do the things they do either, but I miss the times when I could lean on them in the turns like I did for GT2.

Completely agree! They shouldn't have even bothered getting them in the first place, am I right?

It's not entirely fair to compare already modeled Standards versus newly modeled Premiums from a brand that's only just barely been introduced to the game. And it's plain to see that they're in bed with Nissan, we've always had double-digit amounts of GT-R's and it's not unreasonable to assume we most likely always will. Learn to like them, it's not like their presence caused another car to be directly excluded. (Unless you have proof to the contrary.)

I have no idea why they took it out. But it should have stayed out if they were only gonna apply it to a handful of cars!

Two words. Half baked.

Half baked? Compared to what? It's a track Generator, not a track Creator. It's here, and hopefully they will take our feedback on it and make it better, can't expect anyone to be perfect on the first try.

Agreed, they should never have released it at all, and if they did, they shouldn't have fixed a damned thing and instead focused on releasing GT6.

One GT on PS3 is a fail no matter how you want to look at it.

Now this I will agree with. They should've done two. The waiting period was idiotic and Yamauchi-san should never try something like that again.

You make it seem as though just because it was the first to do these things that translates to a great game. We've argued this topic to death GT5 was a disaster even if you don't believe it.

Not only that some of these things it did extremely poorly to subpar to average.

I'm sorry if it sounded that way. GT5 is by no means a shining example of a perfect game. It could be much, much, much better, I'm simply trying to adjust perspective to show that while it wasn't great, it is a huge step in a good direction for Gran Turismo, that was for all intents and purposes, re-hashing the same game with more cars and better graphics. They tried some new things and they didn't work, but the ideas are there and they are good, they just need lots of polishing. This is a chapter that should be closed, but definitely not forgotten.

Back