What if... you worked at Polyphony Digital?

What do you think PD needs to work on the most?

• Total voters
United Kingdom
London
DEAD_DULLAH123
hyperspeed980
Let's say PD opened up a studio very close to where you live. The atmosphere's great, the pay's nice, blahblahblah, and they're hiring, so you decide to get a job there.

What would be your greatest priorities for GT7, and how would you ensure they get into the game? The answer can be serious or humorous, as long as you're sure it would be incorporated into the game somehow.

I'll start with a trifecta of GT5 nostalgia-bait: Shuffle Mode, the Top Gear Test Track and the Lexus LFA. To get these in, I would personally DM Kaz on Twitter every single day with pictures of these three things, until the point where he sees them every time he closes his eyes.

I would also become PD's very first community manager, and regularly post roadmaps of upcoming content, in order to hype people up and reassure them. You know, like you should expect from a live-service game.

How about you, dear GTPlanet users? What are your biggest wishes for this troubled game?

Last edited:
I've posted this elsewhere, but if given the chance I would immediately propose these changes. I don't think any of them are unrealistic, none of them require new created content - and all of it could be achieved in a couple weeks of work.

Events (assuming a GT League is not possible)
  • Added "Manufacturer" and "One-Make" Events to various brands in Brand Central - Golding all of the events of a manufacturer offering "invitation" cars provides the player with a permanent invitation to these cars.
  • Added "WTC600" "WTC700" "WTC800" "Hypercar Parade" and "Gr.1" events to the majority of circuits in "World Circuits"
  • Added 3 one hour long "2008 Super GT" events to the following circuits: Fuji International, Suzuka, Autopolis
  • Added 3 one hour long "2016 Super GT" events to the following circuits: Fuji International, Suzuka, Autopolis. All these events all pay 1 million (1.5m with CRB)
  • Added the "Suzuka 1000km" event to World Circuits. This event pays 5 million per completion. (7.5m with CRB)
  • Added 24h events to Nurburgring, Le Mans and Spa, each paying 40 million per completion (60m with CRB)
  • Added the "Laguna Seca 200 miles" event to World Circuits. This event pays 3 million per completion (4.5m with CRB)
  • Added 6 lap Clubman+ events to High Speed Ring, Trial Mountain, and Deep Forest Raceway, with cars limited to Japanese vehicles from 1990-1999 - Events including these, WTC600 and beyond have had their payouts rebalanced to match the rates of the existing higher Spa, Sardegna, Tokyo and Le Mans races (~1.5m/hr).

• Sport Mode
    • Crossgen play is now enabled on daily races. The warmup timer has increased by 30 seconds to accommodate load times.
    • Decreased the penalty threshold, making it easier to accrue penalties for contact with other drivers (debatable, now damage is properly enabled)
    • Re-enabled SR/DR for Daily Race A
    • Daily Race D and E introduced. Daily Race D is a new race that provides users with a random combination on every race, with no SR/DR impacts. Daily Race D can also be queued for in the World Map by entering the new "Quick Race" section.
    • Daily Race E is a 60 minute long endurance race with dynamic weather enabled. Qualifying for this race is done within the event, the same as GTWS events. Events are run every 90 minutes.

• Custom Races
    • Payouts have been increased by roughly 10x when racing an "Endurance" Event lasting longer than 10 minutes (as to avoid exploits, though I haven't actually tried to calculate if this is a good multiplier or not. It sounds nice at least!)
    • A new difficulty has been added, "Ace" - a difficulty harder than the existing "Professional"
    • Fixed a bug where the AI could not go above 95% throttle input on all difficulties

Last edited:
Make a relevant car list would be my top priority, make proper car classes and make sure that each class have enough cars in them (group 5, can am/group 7, group c, ...

Also communication

I've posted this elsewhere, but if given the chance I would immediately propose these changes. I don't think any of them are unrealistic, none of them require new created content - and all of it could be achieved in a couple weeks of work.

Events (assuming a GT League is not possible)
  • Added "Manufacturer" and "One-Make" Events to various brands in Brand Central - Golding all of the events of a manufacturer offering "invitation" cars provides the player with a permanent invitation to these cars.
  • Added "WTC600" "WTC700" "WTC800" "Hypercar Parade" and "Gr.1" events to the majority of circuits in "World Circuits"
  • Added 3 one hour long "2008 Super GT" events to the following circuits: Fuji International, Suzuka, Autopolis
  • Added 3 one hour long "2016 Super GT" events to the following circuits: Fuji International, Suzuka, Autopolis. All these events all pay 1 million (1.5m with CRB)
  • Added the "Suzuka 1000km" event to World Circuits. This event pays 5 million per completion. (7.5m with CRB)
  • Added 24h events to Nurburgring, Le Mans and Spa, each paying 40 million per completion (60m with CRB)
  • Added the "Laguna Seca 200 miles" event to World Circuits. This event pays 3 million per completion (4.5m with CRB)
  • Added 6 lap Clubman+ events to High Speed Ring, Trial Mountain, and Deep Forest Raceway, with cars limited to Japanese vehicles from 1990-1999 - Events including these, WTC600 and beyond have had their payouts rebalanced to match the rates of the existing higher Spa, Sardegna, Tokyo and Le Mans races (~1.5m/hr).

• Sport Mode
    • Crossgen play is now enabled on daily races. The warmup timer has increased by 30 seconds to accommodate load times.
    • Decreased the penalty threshold, making it easier to accrue penalties for contact with other drivers (debatable, now damage is properly enabled)
    • Re-enabled SR/DR for Daily Race A
    • Daily Race D and E introduced. Daily Race D is a new race that provides users with a random combination on every race, with no SR/DR impacts. Daily Race D can also be queued for in the World Map by entering the new "Quick Race" section.
    • Daily Race E is a 60 minute long endurance race with dynamic weather enabled. Qualifying for this race is done within the event, the same as GTWS events. Events are run every 90 minutes.

• Custom Races
    • Payouts have been increased by roughly 10x when racing an "Endurance" Event lasting longer than 10 minutes (as to avoid exploits, though I haven't actually tried to calculate if this is a good multiplier or not. It sounds nice at least!)
    • A new difficulty has been added, "Ace" - a difficulty harder than the existing "Professional"
    • Fixed a bug where the AI could not go above 95% throttle input on all difficulties
You're hired!

I’d program an AI that can detect your various online aliases and link the roulette ticket rewards to the opinions you express about the game. People who share positive opinions will be rewarded handsomely, while people who share negative opinions will win nothing but new suspension kits for cars they don’t own.

So the results so far shows PD need to:

Make this:

1664390475324.png

(A career mode where we go from rags to riches, letting us chose the events etc)

Then communicate with people (especially fans) on forums and social media.

Some people have written this but in a different way.

Why they chose to go with a linear one race, one prize till the end of the game bs and not the open ended, do what you want style like the first 4 is beyond me!

Last edited:
I would fix the little OCD problems like polygon problems on cars and tracks. Only that
Sounds like you were born for the PD life. Instant hire!
I’d program an AI that can detect your various online aliases and link the roulette ticket rewards to the opinions you express about the game. People who share positive opinions will be rewarded handsomely, while people who share negative opinions will win nothing but new suspension kits for cars they don’t own.
I'd do nothing but hogride this game if it meant I'd get S parts and swaps every day from the roulette. Throw in some 500k and 1m prizes in there as well.

I think something that's a bit underrated is music. I find it strange that GT7 has such comparatively weak music compared to previous titles, even Sport. I mean, if we look back, we had some real impressive artists on the soundtracks for GT, like Van Halen in GT4, and both Motley Crue and Papa Roach in GT3. More recently, there was Juno Reactor for GT Sport, as well as Pink Martini.

Even within the context of music made for GT, the music by Lenny felt much better in GTS, whereas in GT7, it felt like all he did for too many of his tracks was overlay a beat on some classical pieces. Which is especially strange, because I think some of his tracks in GT7 - such as "Moment of Truth," which plays in the Sport Mode menu - are amazing.

Otherwise, I like the concept of having separate playlists for different menus. But I feel that ironically, it was GTS' menu tracks listing that made me feel quite classy, versus the ones for GT7. It gets even more baffling when you consider how close GT is with Sony as a whole - such as how GT is often used to demonstrate Sony-branded TVs - yet it seems that so far, GT7 hasn't really tapped into much (if any) music under Sony Music.

Last edited:
Events, absolutely. Whenever I fire up GT7 I immediately feel the lack of proper events and after a heavy sigh I grind money with 30 minutes Le Mans and Spa 1 hour endlessly.

Why are there no events at Bathurst? Why are there no high-profile races at willow springs? Where are all the true endurance events like 99laps, 1000km, 4/12/24 hours etc?

Whenever I do custom events with my garage cars the game is suddenly brought back to life as if it was in a waking coma, suddenly I have TONS more fun and the challenges are much harder with boost enabled.

Last time I did a one-hour race at Goodwood at sunset against a full grid of my 750PP cars with boost enabled, starting from 15th place.- The pace was insane from start to finish, the engine-swapped RX-7 (787B engine) was doing crazy lap times. Much more fun than any of the standard events.

Sadly the payout of custom events is an utter joke even though I can set them up to me significantly harder than any standard event, so its worthless to make money for buying cars - and that does decrease the motivation to do custom races a lot.

- Number 2 would be tracks. I miss city tracks, with their tight narrow corners and unpredictable surfaces. All we have is wide swooping racetracks with perfect surfaces and gigantic runoff areas. I really miss Rome, Special Stage Route 11, Paris, Tokyo etc.
Come to think of it, previous GT games were much crazier and more fun. GT7 feels so sterile...but I digress.....

Last edited:
None of the those options are relevant.

I would be focusing on the twilight constellations, making sure the underside of the door handles on every car are modelled accurately, I would re-instate the sounds from GT1 onwards because Kaz says that they are too realistic. Scapes aswell, I would ensure that scapes becomes the career mode and the racing just an after thought.

Even within the context of music made for GT, the music by Lenny felt much better in GTS, whereas in GT7, it felt like all he did for too many of his tracks was overlay a beat on some classical pieces. Which is especially strange, because I think some of his tracks in GT7 - such as "Moment of Truth," which plays in the Sport Mode menu - are amazing.
Can't forget The Tempest to Triumph - the ultimate lobby anthem to get you hyped up.

WAGONS
maxresdefault.jpg
887g8734.jpg

And when you think you have enough, MORE WAGONS
subaru_legacy_touring_wagon_2_0gt__03_by_gt6_garage_d7etyho-fullview.jpg

We have all kinds of cars: hatches, sports, super, hyper, 2 trucks, GT3, GT4, SuperGT, Prototypes, Rally...
We have everything, except a single station wagon.

My main reason behind this obsession for station wagons is that I think they truly represent what makes GT so great: the use of normal and mudane cars.

Those mudane cars are present at many other racing games, but I believe no other game offers the same experience like GT.

Of course we would need events.
Licenses and Missions in GT7 are great, they're truly fun and one of the best aspects of the franchise, BUT, it's a real shame that in GT7 the only good paying event outside of missions is a single race for 600pp cars. I love Tokyo 600, but adding Tokyo 500, Tokyo 450, Tokyo 400 and so on would be great.

So I guess if I was in charge of designing the events, I'd add more races for low PP cars and I'd suggest to add more "simple" cars. Although, to be fair, while I like all types of cars, I'm pretty sure most players would define them as boring, tedious and monotonous. :lol:

Weird fun fact. I actually have a 3/4 filled out application to Polyphony saved to my computer that I did one night when I had a few drinks onboard. Chickened out on sending it. All I wanted to do was come on as a Q/A person for updates, and I stated I’d work for free. They have a satellite studio not too far from where I work in Los Angeles.

In all honesty though, I think it’d be fun to be part of a “think tank” with them.

Last edited:
It seems to me that the frustration that seems to be among the community is not that GT7 is a bad game, but that it is almost a really very good game. Furthermore, the decisions that PD make are, at best baffling,
I wish there was an option for PD to simply operate in a way that brought more fun and entertainment in the game.

1. Yes, we'd like more content. But it isn't that the existing content has been optimized!
How can an intelligent organization provide new cars, and hardly any content for their use?
2. 6 months after release, the content is still sparse, with more individual scapes being added than events. At the least, create test events as seasonals. Those that are popular, add to the game permanently. Those that don't work so well - work out why adjust and try again in a couple of months' time.

3. PP is broken by gearing - so take gearing out of PP calculations. It is broken with suspension tuning, so take suspension out of tuning. I'd understand if these were temporary fixes - until an updated PP calculation is available. Testing wasn't very effective, was it?
4. Who thought that having a roulette, and then making it more likely for players to 'win' the lowest prize?
5. It is a racing game, so provide AI which is artificially idiotic - crashing into the player, teaching poor sportsmanship. Nice one PD!
If I was able to work for PD, I'd hope to at least gain an understanding of these, and then either explain them to the community if the reasons were sound. More likely, I'd tweak a few things in order to make the game, well, fun!

Back