What is bump?

  • Thread starter Thread starter sped1966
  • 20 comments
  • 1,253 views

sped1966

Diamond Member
Premium
Messages
326
United States
Odessa, Tx. USA
Messages
spedd1966
Hey guys what is the word bump that I see in a lot of threads?
 
When some one posts in their thread to move it to the top of the list
 
Here that is considered spam too.
 
As above.

It's usually done when the original poster is impatient or doesn't like the quality of the replies so far and wants to gain more visibility in the misguided hope that someone will see the thread this time round.
 
If you see it, report it.

Yes, we consider it spam. It makes it harder for all other members to browse the boards, especially considering that we get well over 100 posts in an hour.
 
As above.

It's usually done when the original poster is impatient or doesn't like the quality of the replies so far and wants to gain more visibility in the misguided hope that someone will see the thread this time round.

OR maybe the thread got lost under a pile of others, and the OP just wanted to bring it back to the top.

Damn, I thought I was cynical...

(And yes, I know it's still spam before you tell me)
 
If you see it, report it.

Yes, we consider it spam. It makes it harder for all other members to browse the boards, especially considering that we get well over 100 posts in an hour.

How do I report "bump" posts?
 
Click the report post icon that looks like an exclamation point inside a yellow triangle. over there----->

Oh, thanks, what do you suggest I type as the message?
 
Simply report them as "bump spam". This sends the message to all moderators, and someone is bound to take care of it.
 
Simply report them as "bump spam". This sends the message to all moderators, and someone is bound to take care of it.

Thank you, for a second I thought I'd have to write a whole essay explaining. :)
 
Thank you, for a second I thought I'd have to write a whole essay explaining. :)
We have short attentions spans, so use small words. ;)

I'd suggest having a read through this thread as we tore the subject apart.
 
I have a question, I've bumped my threads, usually like a day after no posts. But, since it's considered spam and it happens a lot (I see it all the time) what should we do once something falls of the first page of the marketplace? (which happens in less than 30 minutes...)
 
Disguise the bump with your creative writing skills.

Much like a pregnant woman of strict parentage;)
 
Immaculate Concepcion? It can happen. House said so!

Creative bumping means: If you have a marketplace thread that falls off the top, add new content. Offer new cars up for trade. Update the first post and post that you've updated your list and you're now offering this, this and that.

Those are acceptable. Posts that simply say "rush", "bump" or "c'mon, any takers?" are considered contentless and will usually be regarded as spam.
 
i dont think it should be considered as spam, unless someones doing it more than once a day or 2. Us gamers can get a little impatient when it comes to getting answers for some seemingly important questions and inquiries. I feel its harmless. One shouldnt be penalized for it.
 
i dont think it should be considered as spam, unless someones doing it more than once a day or 2. Us gamers can get a little impatient when it comes to getting answers for some seemingly important questions and inquiries. I feel its harmless. One shouldnt be penalized for it.
For the occasional bump post that gets reported or I come across on my own, no, I don't hand out a warning or infraction. However if you have three posts within 12 minutes and two of those posts only purpose is to drive your trade back up to the top of the heap, then yes, either a warning or infraction will be distributed.

As niky mentioned - if you want your post back on top, add something relevant to the thread and we won't give it a second glance.
 
Back