What is the best PC racing / driving game ???

• Thread starter CloneHead
  • 29 comments
Denmark
DK
ZombieInfected
Hey everybody,

I recently got a Logitech racing wheel, and have thought about getting a PC racer.

Which one should I get ???

I'd go for Colin McRae Rally 2.0 first, there are a few others of note though.
Need For Speed Porsche Unleashed is pretty good. (Although I've decided never to buy another EA product :mad: )
Nascar 4 is good, but not for everyone.
And my favorite is Rally Trophy, but I didn't list it first because it deals with older cars, unlike Colin McRae which is far more current. :)

Originally posted by CloneHead
Why the hate aginst EA???

I used to love EA games, they had great graphics and some of the best gameplay around. Somewhere along the way, they lost thier touch, and grew too big. :( The PC games they release generally have Zero support, and are as glitchy (if not more) than other companies. Patches are infrequent (if at all) and they rarely fix anything that you need.
Rather than Finish a game, they'll build it so that you have to download cars off thier website, so they can model at thier own pace. (N4S5:PE is a great example. Cars were shadowed out, but not even in the game until you downloaded them)
SSX:Tricky on the Xbox has major Framerate issues when all the riders are bunched together (it shouldn't because the graphics are nothing too special.), and there are more than a few glitches in the gameplay that should have been tweaked. (And probably wouldn't have taken that long :mad:)
F1 2001 for the X-box is another great example of a game that has a horrible frame rate. I have this on the PC (Don't even get me started on the problems I have with that version) and the Xbox is just a basic port of this version. The models are poor, the graphics are weak, and it deosn't run particularly smooth. I'd chalk it up to the system, or it being a poor port (X-box is just a scaled down PC, so it should port perfectly, and run silky at the lower resolution.) but I've seen what Project Gotham can do, and the Upcoming X-box Game called Wreckless.
So after tons of wasted money on thier products, I have decided to boycott all EA (Designed, not published. Maxis and a few other companies are still on my good list) games from here on out. :P

See if you can snag a discounted copy of Grand Prix Legends - it's an oldie (couple of years) but it has a great driving model. It's based on the '67 season, so it's F1 cars with 3 litre engines and no wings, so they slide around a bit.

Actually I have been looking for that game, but without any luck. I guess I should have bought it last year, when it was on sale.. :(

Grand prix legends question:

can you modify or tune the cars in any way, like in GT, or what makes this game so great?? number of tracks ??? online ???

I'd have to go with Porsche Unleashed as well. That is a very good game.

I have last year's EA F1 game on both the PC and PS2 and thought that game was good as well. Haven't played the new version on the PC, but heard it was good. Also saw a demo of it at the USGP in Indy last September. I have the new one for PS2 and think it is a big step up from last years.

Originally posted by CloneHead
Grand prix legends question:

can you modify or tune the cars in any way, like in GT, or what makes this game so great?? number of tracks ??? online ???

Not sure - but I think there are a lot of on-line resources available - enter Grand Prix Legends into Google and see what comes up.

Another vote for Need for Speed: Porsche. Amazing game. Sounds sooo good, and the cars really do handle well. And it's full or Porsches. What more do you want? ;)

Sports Car GT

If you are at all a sports car racing fan, you'll love it. 1000's of add-on cars and hundreds of tracks. The original physics engine is just decent, but the add-on cars make the best of it to provide a good racing experience.

A lot of work will be needed though to patch the game up.

Well the best racing game for me would have to be. Need for Speed! I grew up on that game, when it was on the PS. Than GT came out I was blown away even further. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: But i think Need for Speed started it all for me.

But which games have racing like GT3...some what street like racing...my PS2 is down for 3 weeks...big bummer...im having GT3 withdrawls....aaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!! :grumpy:

Originally posted by GT-R
Viper Racing is the best.... :burnout:

I would have to agree....i just downloaded it from KaZaa and it rocks...i like changing the colors on it and making it look like a ricer....lol wish there was a lancer template though

9.0 great gaphics
9.5 good sound quality
10. GT3 wheel compatible

9.5 total score

update:

I went out and bought Sports Car GT...and its awesome...almost like GT3...no Laguna Seca though,and no Lancer

Are there any add ons to this game so I can get all the GT3 cars and tracks

Originally posted by GT-R
Viper Racing is the best.... :burnout:

:ringbellrings: We have a winner. Its like 3-5 years old but its the best PC racing game I have ever seen PERIOD

NFS5:PU great game due to the various cars its better than ViperRacing becuz of that factor alone! Viper Racing=Viper's Racing:):P:cool::D

Hot topic, this one....horses for courses...

I have way too many PC racing games...at the moment tend to lean towards :

Nascar 4
Sports Car GT..gotta love racing V8supercars around bathurst.
Leadfoot
Colin McRae 2...

Other faves are :

Grand Prix Legends
Nascar Heat
Viper Racing
Rally championship
Sprint Car Racing
Australian Dirt Track Racing
Rally Trophy
Evo 4x4 1
Evo 4x4 2
Screamer
1nsane
NFS 5
Driver
the list goes on.....

Next game I`ll probably buy :

Electronic Arts V8Supercar chamionship..

Sports car gt. this game is the best!

Possibly the best ever made by EA..

Best part is.. all the addons! I have about 210mb's worth of em, and boy are they worth the space :D

a good game to try is midtown madness 2 by microshaft MS, its a good game, though not the best graphics, there are lots of crazy cars to download, and full maps of cities, its a fun game, and worth a try. multiplayer is good, but the whole game is kinda pointless save for just goofing around and driving with people on the net.

NFS5:PU is one of the best, other good racegames:
Sports Car GT
And guys how about ToCa1&2 ????? Nobody mentioned that one????
Driver is funny, but is not exactly a racegame.
F1-2002 very realistic
CMR2 is cool
Rally Championship Xtreme
etc etc etc

Back