What is the point of money in GT6?

• Thread starter gnorman
  • 25 comments
United Kingdom
In the Middle
GTP_YodaTheCat
Money is worth something as it is a finite item, that is why it is desirable to always have more. In GT6 as there is an inexhaustible supply of cash from Bank of PD everyone is a millionaire within a very short time. If you didn't buy the credits from PSN then just running the Hudson & Mito challenges was enough to bag a tasty pile of loot, then there is usually a cash glitch in there somewhere for the unscrupulous to exploit.

I'm sure there are people that do struggle to earn money in GT that want buckets of it, so the $ for credits is great for them, but otherwise I don't see the point in everyone having the financial clout to buy any car they like within hours or a couple of days of starting. If it is to allow people to access all the cars without being a driving god, then why not just open all the cars up and do away with money altogether?

I would prefer to see more of a financial angle in career mode. For example, if you drive like a joyrider and wreck your car every race then you should have to pay for repairs, like in Real Racing 3.

Wouldn't be a stretch to expand into interesting areas like sponsorship deals when you are successful, I'm sure then that the addition of logos to a car would be welcome to many.

People are always asking for graphical embellishments like being able to walk around your garage and see all your cars, why not be able to improve your garage in size and design with buying objects. It could introduce a whole new angle to the game in the same way the photo mode did.

The financial aspect of New Star Soccer has a lot of these sort of ideas and is interesting as it makes the player's in-game lifestyle a feature and gives a sense of achievement when it is improved and gives a degree of personalisation of your player's persona.

I don't see the point in everyone having the financial clout to buy any car they like within hours or a couple of days of starting.

Because otherwise children and reviewers think it's too hard and it's really boring having to drive a crappy 30k car for 2 days whilst you race Japanese hatchbacks to eventually earn enough money to buy a 50k car, whereas all they want to do is buy a Veyron and see how fast they can go, then pull the handbrake and see if they can roll it.

I agree part of what made the original game fun was how much work you had to put in to buy your first decent car, the time spent studying the specs to see what you could get for your money, comparing what mods would give you the best return to make the next races easier etc. but the masses don't want that, and that's where the big sales numbers are, in dumbed down arcade racers with traction control, stability management, skid recovery, automatics and massively grippy tyres. Oh look, that's just like real life too, I suppose you could argue PD are just making GT more realistic!

Unfortunately, PD are a business, and rather than target the 5% of people who want to be challenged, why not just target the 95% of children who want to make every car 1200bhp and go play bumper cars online!

On gt5 before seasonal events and spec 2 u had to repeat races a few times to save up for a crappy second hand 90's Toyota that could be used for more than one series of events like Japanese 90's and FR. That way u could earn 20 thousand creds to by a 4wd and so on. That's how it should be now. Not access to millions straight away

For example, if you drive like a joyrider and wreck your car every race then you should have to pay for repairs, like in Real Racing 3.
Yup, agree to that.
-1-10% per contact depending on the strength

They could do that but the problem is the AI...

They also could say 20m cars are too much (and prone to dupping/exploiting - 4mil is a good price allready) AND they also could say some cars need licences to put on event tracks and online (none in arcade).

Say the Veyron @800k need IA/IB licence, who will buy it ? Everyone but they can use her on arcade mode until they have the IA licence or whatever.

-1-10% per contact on prize mean also they should drive carefully.

They should also make online money x10, time dependent, and opponent dependent I think.

1 Lap = 5.000 / km + 10% per opponent + 20% per opponent that finnished the race in the same lap - 20% per opponent that finished the race not in the same lap - 20% per opponent that didn't finnished the race.

Or something.

Last edited:
The point is to use them to buy cars, upgrade them and customize them.

And money is not infinite. The GT bank only got 50 000 000 credits.

I actually really like the idea of a virtual garage where your cars are stored, that you can walk around and look at the cars, like they had in Test Drive Unlimited.

You could buy upgrades for your garage to reduce the cost of the GT Auto parts of the game, so you buy car washing equipment and you can wash your cars for free, buy a ramp and changing oil is reduced to just the cost of the service parts, etc. Would give people something else to work towards as well as just collecting the cars themselves...

I would prefer to see more of a financial angle in career mode. For example, if you drive like a joyrider and wreck your car every race then you should have to pay for repairs...

Well, if we judge from the officially released screenshots of the GT Auto for GT6 - only 2 weeks prior to release - such option probably exists in the code and was developed, but for some reason it was pulled out probably minutes before the game went gold (because it is not available in the 1.00 version of the game):

PRE-RELEASE SCREENSHOT WITH BODY REPAIR OPTION IN GTAuto (read description below):

1410697_681034945248595_1763475096_o.jpg

POST RELEASE (what we have right now):

i1a30SWnYQyxLhB.jpg

Also, the official online in-game was changed regarding that particular option one day after it was released - on 5th December. Original version have this in the description of the GTAuto shops (notice the bolded parts below where it describes how the "damage" is dealt depending of the game-mode types):

Damage, Dirt and Deterioration

The distance you have driven in a car is displayed on the odometer. Driving over long distances causes engine condition, oil condition and body rigidity to gradually deteriorate. This is known as "deterioration". Your car's body will also get dirty, and may suffer dents or scratches as a result of collisions or crashes. This is known as "damage". If your car has suffered damage or if its condition has started to deteriorate, please visit the Pit Service in order to repair your car.

Deterioration and damage are dealt with in the following ways, depending on the race mode:

Career Mode
Deterioration and damage incurred while racing remains once a race is complete. If you cancel a race before it is finished, your car's condition will deteriorate, but damage will be reset.

Free Run
Your car will incur deterioration and damage while driving, but as soon as you quit the Free Run, the damage will be reset.

Arcade Mode
Your car will incur deterioration and damage while racing, but both deterioration and damage are reset as soon as you select "Quit" from the Race Menu.

However, that kind of damage simply does not exist in the 1.00 version of the game nor we have got it through the updates as yet - despite there is a screenshot showing that particular option and the official manual had it described in the original release (on 5th December - when I copied the text quoted above), but it was removed a day after (6th December) and edited to the currently available version where there is no damage mentioned.

I still have high hopes it will appear in the game in some point because it would drastically change the way people are actually dealing with the game. Also, it would be great if such option would be used as filter in the Online Lobbies because it would produce additional filtering dependable of personal preferences for racing.

Well I agree with most these posts here. Why when first put game out they want you to buy credits soon as able to do. The fun of the game is playing as much can to earn credits to buy the cars and upgrades you want for some of the races. And as a lot of us know once you've used that car to complete race/challenges it is then left in the garage doing nothing unless you just go do races again for the fun of it all. And biggest part of all gt series players are online mostly now anyway, and as if 20th may gt5 servers go offline as well few others as well as sony pulling the plug on them.

The whole economy of GT6 is broken. It's a game so earning money has to be fun. The fun in a racing game is supposed to be racing and winning. The better you are to more money you win. For me the incentive to earn money is to buy and try more cool cars. Winning however is super simple and the rewards are not high enough so you have to grind events. I'm not saying you should have enough money to buy all 1000 cars by the time you gold the career, but the there are several 20mil cars which makes GT6 a chore.
The Jr event makes you 1.5mil in 30min, this means it would take you 7 hours of grinding to buy a single 20 mil car. Hell that's a day of work, only I get paid at work.
The credits for $ is a downright robbery. This payment method originated from the freemium model where you get the game for free and then pay for the content you want. You can also find it working in online games where you can buy gear to own the other players.
Trying to force people to pay twice for the content is outrageous.
Online is supposed to be the continuation of the game when you finish the career. Earnings online are amazingly low. I have to balance between doing races for money (work) and fun (online) when I start the game.
The incompetence at PD sometimes reaches mindbogling levels.

The whole economy of GT6 is broken. It's a game so earning money has to be fun. The fun in a racing game is supposed to be racing and winning. The better you are to more money you win. For me the incentive to earn money is to buy and try more cool cars. Winning however is super simple and the rewards are not high enough so you have to grind events. I'm not saying you should have enough money to buy all 1000 cars by the time you gold the career, but the there are several 20mil cars which makes GT6 a chore.
The Jr event makes you 1.5mil in 30min, this means it would take you 7 hours of grinding to buy a single 20 mil car. Hell that's a day of work, only I get paid at work.
The credits for $ is a downright robbery. This payment method originated from the freemium model where you get the game for free and then pay for the content you want. You can also find it working in online games where you can buy gear to own the other players.
Trying to force people to pay twice for the content is outrageous.
Online is supposed to be the continuation of the game when you finish the career. Earnings online are amazingly low. I have to balance between doing races for money (work) and fun (online) when I start the game.
The incompetence at PD sometimes reaches mindbogling levels.
Microtransactions can't be robbery if it's not forced, it's just an option for people who want it, is it overpriced? yes, but not robbery. I do agree with you however that the payouts for online are low, they should be triple of what they are now considering that some people like to race only online.

They are indirectly forcing you to use the microtransactions ( I don't even know what is micro about them. A single car can cost more than $100. Absurd) by limiting your options to earn enough money in the game.

They are indirectly forcing you to use the microtransactions ( I don't even know what is micro about them. A single car can cost more than $100. Absurd) by limiting your options to earn enough money in the game.

They're neither forcing directly or indirectly, you can earn as much money as you want in the game if you're prepared to put the time in, the only people who fall foul of these things are those without the patience to earn things for themselves

Money wouldn't be so useless if it wasn't for the fact that you can't race any car in arcade mode. You have to buy said car in GT mode and favorite it in order to drive it. But you don't get any compensation for it, so why not just make all the cars available in Arcade?

And Macro-transactions are ridiculous. There's no way a Jaguar XJ13 should cost upwards of $100.

The point of money?
To buy cars with ofcourse! ;)

Don't you think it would get boring very fast if everything was just there in your garage already?
What if you want 2 of the same car? do you go to the dealership and "buy" another free car?
What about upgrades? just for free then?
Wouldn't that be a bit awkward?
The mechanic of money in this game goes deeper than you think.

Wouldn't be a stretch to expand into interesting areas like sponsorship deals when you are successful, I'm sure then that the addition of logos to a car would be welcome to many.
This would be awesome! You could make a partnership with verious different companies, sort of like affinity in Forza, where you build it with the dealerships. The more you advertise, say, Mcdonald's, the more they pay you.

Well, if we judge from the officially released screenshots of the GT Auto for GT6 - only 2 weeks prior to release - such option probably exists in the code and was developed, but for some reason it was pulled out probably minutes before the game went gold (because it is not available in the 1.00 version of the game):

PRE-RELEASE SCREENSHOT WITH BODY REPAIR OPTION IN GTAuto (read description below):

1410697_681034945248595_1763475096_o.jpg

POST RELEASE (what we have right now):

i1a30SWnYQyxLhB.jpg

Also, the official online in-game was changed regarding that particular option one day after it was released - on 5th December. Original version have this in the description of the GTAuto shops (notice the bolded parts below where it describes how the "damage" is dealt depending of the game-mode types):

However, that kind of damage simply does not exist in the 1.00 version of the game nor we have got it through the updates as yet - despite there is a screenshot showing that particular option and the official manual had it described in the original release (on 5th December - when I copied the text quoted above), but it was removed a day after (6th December) and edited to the currently available version where there is no damage mentioned.

I still have high hopes it will appear in the game in some point because it would drastically change the way people are actually dealing with the game. Also, it would be great if such option would be used as filter in the Online Lobbies because it would produce additional filtering dependable of personal preferences for racing.

I had a HUGE smile on my face when I saw this first screenshot. Really sad we didn't get it in the release version.

Me too, I have high hopes to see this feature implemented in GT6 soon, it'll definitely change the game for better... it's really awesome.

And I'll have a garage full of destroyed beaters. A completely smashed matte black Chevy Nova to scare people :D

Please PD :D

I'd argue there is no point to money at all. As in, I'd rather have it taken out of the game.

You're ideas are good for adding financial difficulty, which currently does not exist, but it only makes the game more of a burden and less of a source of entertainment for people with a racing focus. Your proposed additions need to be balanced out with a free mode where everything is available from the start and there are no limitations (ie it's not just driving stock cars you can tune them as well, and you get a fully functioning livery editor [if PD ever adds such a thing]).

I agree part of what made the original game fun was how much work you had to put in to buy your first decent car, the time spent studying the specs to see what you could get for your money, comparing what mods would give you the best return to make the next races easier etc.

I think the nostalgia glasses are on too tight. GT was never difficult financially. You've always had unlimited money and nothing less. I was around 10 when I played GT1. My first car was a randomly chosen Nissan something or other. My second car was a Viper GTS, one of the best stock road cars in the game. All you need to do is run races and your money goes up.

but the masses don't want that, and that's where the big sales numbers are, in dumbed down arcade racers with traction control, stability management, skid recovery, automatics and massively grippy tyres. Oh look, that's just like real life too, I suppose you could argue PD are just making GT more realistic!
It's not the "masses" it's PD. All they need to do is add options, but they don't. Also, the masses don't feature the hardcore racers that buy racing games to race. For those people, credits don't do anything.

Last edited:
On gt5 before seasonal events and spec 2 u had to repeat races a few times to save up for a crappy second hand 90's Toyota that could be used for more than one series of events like Japanese 90's and FR. That way u could earn 20 thousand creds to by a 4wd and so on. That's how it should be now. Not access to millions straight away

It was not that hard to get money in GT5 before the major updates. I started from the begining at release and the only car I had an issue getting was the FGT and that was just because of the UCD and it not being there.

Sure the early races did not pay much [they never do] and there was no big payout seasonals but you did get a prize car for every event and the special events paid pretty well even though they were 1 time only payouts. Still in just a few days I had quite a collection of cars built up. You could also make a good bit of cash running the Indy race over and over and of course we had B-Spec which could help add to the credits and even more prize cars. I can't tell you how many miles Bob put on my X1 earning me credits while I watched TV or whatever.

In GT6 it was a little harder to build the car collection due to fewer special events and fewer prize cars but still not that hard and better now that they increased the payout on the races.

As for the millions in the seasonals in GT6 those where just a special thing for the holidays, the new ones pay much less

Last edited:
The body rigidity and engine repairs are a start.

I like the idea of having to pay to fix your car if you wreck it. However the rigidity and engine repairs seem to happen at a fixed mileage not on the amount of damage taken.

People started moaning the rigidity goes too quickly causing you to pay 2/3 of the cost of the original car to fix it. With my thought, if you drive it well it would take longer to fail. Drive like a loony and you're paying it after a race series.

All it would take is small calculations with the rigidity issue and then you'd get what most of the careful drivers want and that is the cleanest race possible.

However again that would turn off the casual racer and PD definitely don't want that.

Oh yeah let's do that and have more people complain. "OOOOoohhh GT is too easyyyyyy". :rolleyes: GT should never change what's it's good at, I mean look what happen to GT5 when attempted to change... Like they always say. Don't try to fix what isn't broken.

I think the nostalgia glasses are on too tight. GT was never difficult financially. You've always had unlimited money and nothing less. I was around 10 when I played GT1. My first car was a randomly chosen Nissan something or other. My second car was a Viper GTS, one of the best stock road cars in the game. All you need to do is run races and your money goes up.

They're probably on a bit tight, but it definitely took longer to get a decent collection going, money does come a bit easy at times.

You can consider me a hypocrite however as I think the 20mil cars are far too expensive :P

Back