What kind of sales numbers would be considered a "success" commercially?

United States
Austin, TX
OneBadHuskerFan
With such a limited budget and practically zero advertising the overall costs of Project CARS I would think is relatively "low" compared to the bigger AAA games (I consider this a AAA game).

I am VERY much hoping that this game catches on through word of mouth and it's a HUGE success, but what would be considered a commercial success for the game?

And while I'm sure we'll not know exactly how many copies have been sold, there's always estimates, etc. so it would be cool to see Project CARS exceed all expectations so that PCARS 2 can get a leg up and be that much better than the rest!

With such a limited budget and practically zero advertising the overall costs of Project CARS I would think is relatively "low" compared to the bigger AAA games (I consider this a AAA game).

I am VERY much hoping that this game catches on through word of mouth and it's a HUGE success, but what would be considered a commercial success for the game?

And while I'm sure we'll not know exactly how many copies have been sold, there's always estimates, etc. so it would be cool to see Project CARS exceed all expectations so that PCARS 2 can get a leg up and be that much better than the rest!

I have no clue what SMS would consider a succes, but if we eventually sell 5 million copies I'd be very happy already.

Just so you know... I doubt the following is something we'll never achieve. The below is minus PC version, which has sold 2 million copies and counting (see: http://steamspy.com/app/271590 ).

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/gta-5-ships-45-million-copies-including-10-million/1100-6425079/
GTA 5 Ships 45 Million Copies, Including 10 Million On Xbox One And PS4

So with sim racing being a niche genre I reckon it's a bit over a tenth of the GTA5 copies sold at best.

In the end we'll have to wait and see. The reviews are good and the user feedback is also good so far, so it's just a waiting game basically. Especially for us WMD members as we can't do anything anymore but enjoy the game with you guys, and report any serious issues you guys encounter to SMS.

Project Cars does have a huge advantage due to launching in the early part of this generation of consoles. On PS4 the only racing games out right now are Driveclub (arcade), NFS Rivals (arcade open world), The Crew (arcade open world), and Moto GP 14 (racing series). Xbox has Forza and the others, but not many either. I think there will be a lot of purchases of thr console version due to there being so few racing games out at the moment and the really high ratings :D

A lot of casual gamers like pretty shiny things. I know a Playstation gamer that's not a racing or car fan and he's picking up a copy as he likes the graphics!

I think the game has got great attention via youtube and all the beta version. There are countless videos on internet. On PS4 as well the marketing and go to game since there is only DC. Definitely the game has got fair attention and they probably saved in advertizing as they got the community and people talking about it

Latest Posts

Back